You are not logged in.

#26 2021-12-04 15:18:11

Colonel Panic

Re: A fix for grub when os-prober isn't working

unklar wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:

Right, so if I disable os-prober for any other distro on my hard drive but Bunsen, I'll be safe (and not leave a mess in my grub.cfg file) if I then run update-grub in Bunsen?

Since the os-prober of bunsen reads the grub.cfg of all other distributions, an update-grub must also be executed there afterwards when their os-prober is deactivated.
So that these grub.cfg's are "clean".

Finally the update-grub in bunsen.Now understood?  big_smile

I think so now that you've explained it. I thought that the OS prober looked for the initrd and vmlinux files in each partition and also the UUID label instead of the grub.cfg file?

That might also explain why the prober tends to make mistakes when it reads Slackware or Slack-based distros' partitions, because it doesn't then have a grub.cfg file to read.

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2021-12-04 15:20:09)

#27 2021-12-04 17:43:51

rbh

Colonel Panic wrote:

I think so now that you've explained it. I thought that the OS prober looked for the initrd and vmlinux files in each partition and also the UUID label instead of the grub.cfg file?

That might also explain why the prober tends to make mistakes when it reads Slackware or Slack-based distros' partitions, because it doesn't then have a grub.cfg file to read.

Read /usr/share/doc/os-prober/README:
"Note that os-prober can find other Linux installations, as well as other
operating systems. It does not try to work out all the information needed
to boot Linux (initrd, kernel params, etc). That task is left to
linux-boot-prober."

// Regards rbh

Please read before requesting help: Guide to getting help,
Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

#28 2021-12-04 22:41:44

rbh

If you want to use os-prober, it is essential that you write grub to disk for only one and the same dist.

OS like DOS and Windows, has to be installed first. Then your favorite dist. Let that dist write grubb boatloader to disk. For the other os/dists, write grub to partition from where the new dist boots.
After adding new dist, reboot to favorite dist and update grub.

I have never encountered that os-prober wont't detect and configure grub.cfg correct. If that happens, write a boot entry in /etc/grub.d/40_custom.

// Regards rbh

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

#29 2021-12-05 10:39:50

unklar
Back to the roots 1.9

Colonel Panic wrote:

^You are also really sure to have grub and os-prober installed in this distri? Because the default there was Lilo.

#30 2021-12-05 17:22:18

Colonel Panic

I don't know what Bunsen's grub installer does differently from any others, but it produces a neat bootup menu that just works; two lines per distro, including "Advanced". Arch Labs has the same one.

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2021-12-05 18:38:45)

#31 2021-12-05 18:43:23

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

Colonel Panic wrote:

I don't know what Bunsen's grub installer does differently from any others, but it produces a neat bootup menu that just works; two lines per distro, including "Advanced". Arch Labs has the same one.

Even a nice one for Windows too...

Real Men Use Linux

#32 2021-12-06 02:23:46

rbh

Colonel Panic wrote:

It is Debians Grub!
BunsenLabs has only a dozen or so, of own packages. Grub are not among them.

// Regards rbh

#33 2021-12-06 03:59:09

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^True, though BL does ship a bit of grub config:
https://github.com/BunsenLabs/bunsen-co … ium/grub.d
Adds a CLI boot option, and checks on the grub text colours. Nothing dramatic.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#34 2021-12-06 07:52:05

Colonel Panic

rbh wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:

It is Debians Grub!

Other Debian distros like Neptune and Siduction have much messier boot menus though. Maybe they mess around with them?

#35 2021-12-06 09:32:36

unklar
Back to the roots 1.9

unklar wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:

^You are also really sure to have grub and os-prober installed in this distri? Because the default there was Lilo.

Colonel Panic wrote:
rbh wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:

It is Debians Grub!

Other Debian distros like Neptune and Siduction have much messier boot menus though. Maybe they mess around with them?

Unfortunately, you studiously ignore my ironically posed question. Therefore I assume that the cli installer of Slackware installs the bootloader Lilo, as described in any number of wiki's on the Internet. Currently nothing seems to have changed.
I found only one that describes the grub installation.

So I think you are just wasting our time here.

#36 2021-12-06 16:22:35

Colonel Panic

unklar wrote:
unklar wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:

Colonel Panic wrote:
rbh wrote:

It is Debians Grub!

Unfortunately, you studiously ignore my ironically posed question. Therefore I assume that the cli installer of Slackware installs the bootloader Lilo, as described in any number of wiki's on the Internet. Currently nothing seems to have changed.
I found only one that describes the grub installation.

So I think you are just wasting our time here.

I started this thread and did so in good faith. If you don't like my posts, don't read them; it's not compulsory.

As for the rest about Slackware, Slack itself uses Lilo as do some of the other distros based on it (such as Absolute), but Slackel uses Grub and I think Vector did too. It didn't seem to make any difference though when I installed Siduction, because it mixed up the partition numbers in Slackel's entry in the grub.cfg file; sda7 (the correct one) was at the top of the distro's entry, and sda8 (the wrong one) at the bottom.

Furthermore, this isn't by any means the first time I've seen it happen when I've had Slack-based distros on my hard drive, and it's happened with other computers I've had too; but it only seems to happen with Slack-based distros (there are other problems with booting Arch-based ones, as others here have discovered).

It's an easy enough problem to solve provided you're prepared to break the rule that you shouldn't edit your grub.cfg file manually.

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2021-12-06 16:57:15)

#37 2021-12-07 09:56:11

unklar
Back to the roots 1.9

Colonel Panic wrote:

Use the parameter in the /etc/default/grub
GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU=y

Last edited by unklar (2021-12-08 10:52:55)

#38 2021-12-07 13:45:59

Colonel Panic

Thanks.

Board footer