You are not logged in.

#451 2020-09-05 23:13:04

lowrider

Re: BunsenLabs Reviews

A bit long but he likes us.
The OldTechBloke on Youtube about Lithium.
Bunsenlabs - A "RECOMMENDED" Openbox Distro

#452 2020-09-06 00:27:44

hhh
Meep!
Website

Nice review, very fair and concise.

#453 2020-09-06 00:38:17

damo
....moderator....

^ It helps that he is an Openbox fan, so none of the knee-jerk criticisms. And he really likes your themeing smile

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#454 2020-09-06 00:42:56

hhh
Meep!
Website

Yeah, he's been following us and understands OB and what we're doing, and I liked that he praised the default theme. His studio setup is awesome, did you note that mic and all the sound treatment on his walls? He liked the Fever-room wallpaper as well!

A crazy amount of ads, looks like Google thinks we're worthy of being monetized. My 78 year old mother keeps saying the same thing. And I keep saying "No ma, we're a small Debian derivative. We're not Red Hat about to be bought by IBM for $34 billion USD."

Fact, IBM bought Red Hat for $34 billion with a "b"...

https://www.redhat.com/en/about/press-r … oud-future

"Mom, we can't offer enterprise OS integration and support to global corporations." And she's all "Well, what about ... (insert insane, out-of-touch Boomer idea here)". It would be funny if it wasn't so frustrating to explain.

#455 2020-09-06 01:07:32

damo
....moderator....

Remember that guy when we first started BL who reckoned we were being "unprofessional" because we didn't have a "business plan", and how on earth were we going to "monetize" the distro? He left in a huff IIRC wink

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#456 2020-09-06 01:19:51

hhh
Meep!
Website

That might have been my mother.

lmao

#457 2020-09-06 07:00:45

ohnonot
...again
Website

^^ I do remember that guy.
And a few more from other forums (or maybe they're all the same person behind the avatars? yikes); unfortunately it's a fairly common occurence in "the opensource community". Some people cannot accept it for what it is without seeing a business opportunity and getting into that motivational lingo; or the notion that this is the nerd revolution they've been waiting for, and it just needs a "wake-up call"... only yesterday I saw one of my older posts replying to a person who seriously suggested that GNU/Linux has the power to bankrupt Microsoft, Google and Apple:

I'd personally like to see Microsoft, Google and Apple bankrupt though. The low quality they deliver and the money they get for it is ridiculous.

GNU/Linux for everyone could literally bankrupt all those companies. Just hardware companies would survive, and they would have to adapt to the needs of the people who buy them.

Ouch.

Search youtube without a brwoser: repo | thread
BL quote proposals to this thread please.
my repos / my repos

#458 2020-09-07 09:53:56

johnraff
nullglob
Website

lowrider wrote:

A bit long but he likes us.
The OldTechBloke on Youtube about Lithium.
Bunsenlabs - A "RECOMMENDED" Openbox Distro

Encouraging to read something complimentary!

Though both these still apply:

johnraff wrote:

*) The new "applications" submenu is confusing a lot of first-time users into thinking that's the go-to place for everything, rather than a last port of call when what they want is nowhere else.

*) No-one seems to get the purpose of the bl-* aliases, and thinks eg that bl-media-player is just another way of referring to VLC.

Especially the latter. I left a note about it on the YT page.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#459 2020-09-08 23:07:04

hhh
Meep!
Website

Not a BL review, but Mabox Linux, a BunsenLabs based Manjaro spin. It uses Openbox, tint2, conky, jgmenu, dmrun, xfce4-power-manager and BLOB with some very nice tweaks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW52qfLIeDQ

Maddening that he reviews BLOB on this OS while skipping it entirely in his recent review of Lithium. In fact, he ignores all similarities between the distros other than mentioning the connection during the intro.

An intriguing distro, I love the default theme. Curious if they're even aware of Archbang...

https://maboxlinux.org/about/

#460 2020-09-09 04:53:15

johnraff
nullglob
Website

hhh wrote:

Mabox Linux...

Maddening that he reviews BLOB on this OS while skipping it entirely in his recent review of Lithium. In fact, he ignores all similarities between the distros other than mentioning the connection during the intro.

An intriguing distro...

https://maboxlinux.org/about/

Really. Apart from BLOB they've also ported the conky and tint2 managers from BL, which we should take as a compliment of course.

I'd like to have a look at the code to see what changes have been made but can't find a public git repo anywhere. neutral That's where BL stands out over some of the other small distros I guess.

#461 2020-09-09 09:29:10

beaker
Unverified Muppet

johnraff wrote:

I'd like to have a look at the code ...

https://github.com/MaboxOS

#462 2020-09-10 01:59:50

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^Thanks! Although some parts were updated this year, it looks a bit old in fact.
After a lot of searching (there are no direct links) I found this: https://git.maboxlinux.org/Mabox

In fact, a lot of the imported BL scripts still seem to be old versions. You have to install BunsenLabs to get the latest goodies! cool

Last edited by johnraff (2020-09-10 02:01:21)

#463 2020-09-11 02:56:19

johnraff
nullglob
Website

BL is getting some favourable Twitter comments lately - check out @ mentions of @RealBunsenLabs.

An active Spanish-speaking user base too.

Bunsenlabs Lithium

Estable, elegante, ágil!

#464 2020-10-18 07:19:01

drummer

hhh wrote:

Aw hell yeah, my favorite redneck has checked us out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ0Bf-aJ_HE

This is the first time I ever screened a review where it was like watching a horror movie, yelling at the screen "DON'T OPEN THE DOOR! THE KILLER IS BEHIND IT" when this guy was trying to manage the Tint manager.

"DUDE, NO DON'T CLICK ON THAT! THAT ONE, CLICK ON THAT...NO NOT THAT ONE! DUDE!"

I just could not stop laughing at this lol.

I have seen many reviews where a thing called "rehearsal" would had been a good idea, instead of plowing head first without like, knowing how to manage that window manager, and such. Most reviews just cover what themes a distro has, the wallpaper, stuff like that. There is one English chap - I forget his name and YouTube channel - that does a very thorough review and is very informative. Most others how ever fall a bit short.

Like someone mentioned earlier - "Look another brown one"

That still has me rolling lulz.

#465 2020-10-18 09:57:35

ohnonot
...again
Website

drummer wrote:

I have seen many reviews where a thing called "rehearsal" would had been a good idea, instead of plowing head first without like, knowing how to manage that window manager, and such. Most reviews just cover what themes a distro has, the wallpaper, stuff like that. There is one English chap - I forget his name and YouTube channel - that does a very thorough review and is very informative. Most others how ever fall a bit short.

Playing devil's advocate, these guys probably think that that's the point - they show how easily accessible a distro is for newbies. Also, they can't be bothered to spend more than, say, 1h on a 20min video - it's free, after all!
I never understood this attitude, for two reasons:

• seeing one guy struggling with something on one particular piece of hardware is hardly helpful to assess a distro you are hoping to use for years

• providing a service for free is not an excuse for flooding the www with low quality

That said, it's always refreshing to watch someone who gave the thing more thought and spent more time on editing. But that still doesn't make a good distro review, or a good anything.

Search youtube without a brwoser: repo | thread
BL quote proposals to this thread please.
my repos / my repos

Board footer