You are not logged in.

#26 2019-11-18 03:03:29

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: How to lower swappiness in Busenlabs and Debian gnu/Linux.

BLizgreat! wrote:

Gotta do it, John-san just add the friggin relevant ONE line (or 2 if you add a comment to remind you what the hades the swappiness thing is/does)to sysctl.conf and reboot. Test for a bit...

Exactly what I did on the laptop. It's still got swappiness set to 10: confirmed with 'cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness'. You think "something was done incorrectly"? Gladly try any suggestions you have to test that hypothesis (as long as they don't take a week to do).

My only guess is that maybe when RAM is as low as 1GB swappiness starts not to make any difference again. The data is just going to have to be swapped out, whatever, because there's just not enough space.

Or, maybe the kernel doesn't pay so much attention to swappiness these days?

---
This desktop has 8GB and even with swappiness at 60 there's usually zero in the swap partition anyway, so lowering to 10 won't change anything. It did get choked up a week ago with a couple of Facebook ( roll ) tabs and a VM going, but that kind of situation is pretty rare. I tried 10 temporarily a few days ago but of course it made no difference. I could easily edit sysctl.conf and leave it at 10 permanently, but it would be very hard to judge whether it was doing anything or not.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog, idle Twitterings and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#27 2019-11-18 17:09:16

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Just curious which browser you're using, Chrome/ium ? Also no it should make more difference on a 1gb system and also no, sysctl hasn't changed at all. It's forever been for the exact purpose of allowing users to adjust kernel parameters. Listed one tool to take all the questions out of swappiness. I don't want to bother using a stress testing util to hit up my RAM just to see how much is used before swap/piness kicks in.

Doesn't matter to me, I've long known swappiness=10 is correct for desktop gnu/Linux. Anyway .. up to you or whoever. Not my OS's, none of my concern, am wayyyyy over my typing limit for a topic like this.

Gotta do it ...

This is one thing about many nixers, which at this point I find perplexing. They say things like I think, I believe, I assume or get the impression that this is like that. It's gnu/Linux, there are endless amounts of documentation, are utils and commands someone can use to watch how everything works down to the most intimate levels, can watch and monitor exactly how much memory is used, by what, can monitor in live time disk i/o etc etc. So it shouldn't ever be a guess or an I think, someone can easily learn enough to say I KNOW. smile Of course provided they make the effort to learn.

Though when comes to swapping/swappiness. When a persons OS starts getting sluggish, bogging down and becomes noticeably less responsive, they pop open a terminal (which takes longer to open than it should) and types "free -m" into the thing, then looks at the OS swapping to disk. They should be able to infer that hey, this swapping thing that's going on, even though I have ample amounts of RAM still free isn't a good thing. big_smile

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2019-11-18 17:25:44)

#28 2019-11-19 04:21:14

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Oops, jumped so quickly to post a pro-swappiness=10 post, though yeah doing so because it's a very relevant thing for quite a few of the users who'd be attracted to Bunsenlabs. Easy to implement, just as easily reversed and is practically guaranteed to give a performance boost in terms of making their OS's more responsive. Yeppers getting up to 8gbs, should definitely be far less concern depending upon how someone uses the system. Though imo ... yep still relevant, your system likely wouldn't have locked up had you lowered swappiness, would still say 10 but if you want to be uber conservative at least to 20.

Some of the ridiculous stats I've seen people post related to what their web browsers are using is friggin incredible to me, so yes, if people are actually seeing that much memory being gobbled when using them even with 4-6gbs or more, adjusting swappiness in my view is worthwhile. Other stuff like you mention, running VM's = virtual machines etc etc.

Asked about Chrome/ium because have seen people say it'll explicitly request or use swap somehow, while was looking over info on the subject (swappiness). Which is weird to me and haven't bothered looking into it further, I don't use Chrome or ium either. So don't know whether it was just yet another case of an anonymous nixer talking/typing out his rear-end or if there's actually something to it. In ways makes sense to me, Google Inc yeppers, wouldn't at all be surprised if the thing is designed to suck up every system resource it can get it's hands on. Make it faster or etc, thus more appealing to users. Even if it's eating system resources alive. Chrome says, ohhhhh, I see you have some free memory, thanks I'll take that. Hmmm, some swap space, mmmm, I'll take that too. big_smile

PS, Tempted to install Chromium (or Chrome)and see. It's been a long time but also not really so much curious about it and don't have a need of a bunch of browsers for cross-browser testing or whatever. Ahhhhh crap, probably will now. Want to side by side the thing vs FF. See what it's webpg load times and system overhead are like.

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2019-11-19 04:28:00)

Board footer