You are not logged in.

#76 2019-03-03 23:01:39

hhh
Meep!
Website

Re: bl-exit replacement suggestions

Dude, right now you have the biggest balls on the website, they are dragging on the ground. No humility is necessary, though it's certainly appreciated. tongue

#77 2019-03-03 23:07:39

damo
....moderator....

Bearded_Blunder wrote:

Just thought I'd mention it is all, not meant as a criticism.

Understood, of course - the more eyes there are on proposals, the better it is for a robust solution.

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#78 2019-03-03 23:07:52

hhh
Meep!
Website

@B_B. I gave your avatar some personality. For five seconds it was "Biggest balls on the forum" but I settled for something a bit more dignified.

#79 2019-03-03 23:27:34

PackRat
jgmenu user Numero Uno

damo wrote:

Icons only; Horizontal text only; Vertical aligned...

bb-exit.sh -mi &
bb-exit.sh -m &
bb-exit.sh -v &

https://cdn.scrot.moe/images/2019/03/03/exit.th.jpg

That's awesome.

You must unlearn what you have learned.
    -- yoda

#80 2019-03-03 23:30:58

PackRat
jgmenu user Numero Uno

hhh wrote:
PackRat wrote:

Works pretty well with Roboto Mono as the font.
@hhh, Roboto Mono installed by default?

It is not by default, but if you're suggesting it we'll certainly consider it.

I was just curious, but sure, I'll suggest you add it in. Roboto (sans) and Roboto Mono are nice, clean fonts that theme well and look good in terminal emulators.

You must unlearn what you have learned.
    -- yoda

#81 2019-03-03 23:36:05

hhh
Meep!
Website

OK, that's something we could easily add to the full ISO but leave out of the CD ISO if it's agreed upon.

-edit- I've used Roboto on my Android phone forever until changing it recently to Yoyo, a Futura-looking font. I give this addition my yes vote.

Last edited by hhh (2019-03-03 23:39:17)

#82 2019-03-04 00:00:58

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

hhh wrote:

@B_B. I gave your avatar some personality. For five seconds it was "Biggest balls on the forum" but I settled for something a bit more dignified.

Um thanks ops I kinda don't see the heroism though, more a case of dodging a bullet, and I don't think anyone else regular here was placed to see or test that any proposed replacement wouldn't break my screwey minority setup, since the problem was mine, I figured it was incumbent on me to look for a solution, fortunately it turns out there was a relatively simple one.

Dbus calls work too of course, but they're not something your average tinkerer can look at and figure out what's going on, or want to tinker with.. recipe for RSI they're looooong commands.

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#83 2019-03-04 00:34:07

hhh
Meep!
Website

Heard and updated.

#84 2019-03-04 06:03:04

johnraff
nullglob
Website

First, big thank-you to B_B for checking off one of the boxes on our road-to-Lithium list! cool

hhh wrote:

We'll have to name it something other than bl-exit, since that package already exists.

Actually, I don't see why the new code can't just be dropped in as a replacement bl-exit, in the Lithium version of bunsen-exit. Without yet looking really carefully it looks as if the api is the same, or can be made to be the same, as the current bl-exit:

john@helium:~$ bl-exit --help
usage: bl-exit [-h] [-l] [-s] [-i] [-y] [-b] [-p]

Bunsenlabs exit

optional arguments:
  -h, --help         show this help message and exit
  -l, --logout       Log out
  -s, --suspend      Suspend
  -i, --hibernate    Hibernate
  -y, --hybridsleep  Hybrid sleep
  -b, --reboot       Reboot
  -p, --poweroff     Power off

As long as that is so, then existing users' custom buttons, launchers, scripts, keybinds and menu items should go on working as if nothing had happened. The differences will be in the backend implementation, probably in the config files, and in the GUI. I think that's a reasonable inter-release jump.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#85 2019-03-04 07:58:14

damo
....moderator....

Instead of a config file, I'm looking at using script args for the various layouts. But that would break the previous setup I guess, so it wouldn't be a drop-in replacement.

For example, adding a switch for icons-only, and one for vertical layout. So to reproduce the current bl-exit gui it would be something like (using @B_B's switches. And something suitable is needed for the icons switch)

bl-exit -d --icons

And minimal vertical button layout would be

bl-exit -m -v

Thoughts?

Or call it something like bl-bbexit, to replace bl-exit?

Last edited by damo (2019-03-04 07:59:57)

#86 2019-03-05 01:28:50

hhh
Meep!
Website

But users might still want the original bl-exit script. which I'd assumed we'd still offer via our backports. Do we re-name that package instead? That seems convoluted to me. Name the new exit something different and still generic like bl-yad_exit and mention the change in the Release Notes (which we'll do regardless of how we name things).

#87 2019-03-05 01:30:59

hhh
Meep!
Website

@damo, maybe a fork for that would be the best route, to keep things tidy?

#88 2019-03-05 01:45:43

hhh
Meep!
Website

PackRat wrote:
hhh wrote:
PackRat wrote:

Works pretty well with Roboto Mono as the font.
@hhh, Roboto Mono installed by default?

It is not by default, but if you're suggesting it we'll certainly consider it.

I was just curious, but sure, I'll suggest you add it in. Roboto (sans) and Roboto Mono are nice, clean fonts that theme well and look good in terminal emulators.

Packaged in buster, so I will add a second yes-vote to adding this to the full ISOs...

https://packages.debian.org/buster/fonts-roboto

-edit- I spoke too soon...

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo … bug=819273

Last edited by hhh (2019-03-05 01:52:33)

#89 2019-03-05 09:25:34

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

damo wrote:

Instead of a config file, I'm looking at using script args for the various layouts. But that would break the previous setup I guess, so it wouldn't be a drop-in replacement.

For example, adding a switch for icons-only, and one for vertical layout. So to reproduce the current bl-exit gui it would be something like (using @B_B's switches. And something suitable is needed for the icons switch)

bl-exit -d --icons

And minimal vertical button layout would be

bl-exit -m -v

Thoughts?

Or call it something like bl-bbexit, to replace bl-exit?

I purposely only looked at one argument, the trouble with more than one short arguments  eg

bl-exit -m -v

is that users expect to be able to supply any of
"-m -v", "-v -m", "-mv" or "-vm"
^^ Parsing that gets ugly the more possible arguments the uglier.

Even with more than one --long-argument you have to deal with random otder "--long-1 --long-2" vs "--long-2 --long-1"

OK so I'm lazy, but it's a point to bear in mind. I copped out "takes either none or exactly one argument" lol

Last edited by Bearded_Blunder (2019-03-05 09:26:54)

If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#90 2019-03-05 09:29:56

johnraff
nullglob
Website

hhh wrote:

But users might still want the original bl-exit script. which I'd assumed we'd still offer via our backports...

Over the top IMO. Just offer bunsen-exit in whatrever form we, in our wisdom, decide it should be. The current package could still be made available, I suppose (it's not just a single file though), but how many people really care that much about a fancy logout screen?

John
--------------------

#91 2019-03-05 09:31:33

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Bearded_Blunder wrote:

I purposely only looked at one argument, the trouble with more than one short arguments  eg

bl-exit -m -v

..."takes either none or exactly one argument"

+1

John
--------------------

#92 2019-03-05 09:43:49

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

johnraff wrote:
hhh wrote:

But users might still want the original bl-exit script. which I'd assumed we'd still offer via our backports...

Over the top IMO. Just offer bunsen-exit in whatrever form we, in our wisdom, decide it should be. The current package could still be made available, I suppose (it's not just a single file though), but how many people really care that much about a fancy logout screen?

As to that, personally I'd deal with it by new exit has a new package name & declares "Breaks: bunsen-exit" (or "Conflicts:")
That way the script name doesn't need to change or change location, can only have one of them installed, each should be clearing out its "other files" on removal anyway. That method does need a new package name though.

#93 2019-03-05 18:22:38

damo
....moderator....

johnraff wrote:

... but how many people really care that much about a fancy logout screen?

Me  angel

Regarding a config file: I think that would be easy to set up by sourcing it for some script variables. There again, @B_B's offering is perfectly functional as it stands, even though there is a lot of code repetition smile

#94 2019-03-05 18:30:38

hhh
Meep!
Website

damo wrote:
johnraff wrote:

... but how many people really care that much about a fancy logout screen?

Me  angel

Me too, which is why I like the new script. Having themes and icons inherited instead of hard-coded, the speed, the simplicity and the customizations available all make this very fancy-shmancy in my book.

As far as how the packages or scripts are named, whatever you decide is fine with me @johnraff and @damo.

#95 2019-03-05 21:40:22

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

damo wrote:

Regarding a config file: I think that would be easy to set up by sourcing it for some script variables.

I seriously considered a config file, and some logic for generating dialogues with/without wanted/unwanted extra buttons or even just that logic, it would eliminate lots of code repetition, but also sacrifice how it works being blindingly obvious to anyone who decided to customize for themselves. Or at least make it slightly less obvious. They only have to look at/edit the one relevant case they actually use as currently hacked together.  Copied to ~/bin their custom one takes over for them. At least in BL where ~/bin exists and is earlier in $PATH.

I might try hacking up such a variation & see how gnarly it ends up looking when I try it, or I might not.  Of course you're completely free to should you wish.  I absolutely agree that all the repetition is inelegant, & gets even less pretty with 3 interface options instead of 2, but remains very easy to identify where to tweak to taste.  It's only "proof of concept" as posted, I'm certainly not wedded to the repetition.

hhh wrote:

As far as how the packages or scripts are named, whatever you decide is fine with me @johnraff and @damo.

+1

#96 2019-03-06 03:26:12

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Bearded_Blunder wrote:
damo wrote:

Regarding a config file: I think that would be easy to set up by sourcing it for some script variables.

I seriously considered a config file...

That sounds good to me - actually several possible files, cascaded:

* Default settings hardcoded
* /usr/share/... /conf.d to hold config added by "vendors" (eg BL) or other packages
*/etc/... for settings added by sysadmins
*~/.config/... for user settings

None of the above files need to exist (and the defaults are used) and things lower down the list will overrule earlier ones. This is much easier to implement than it sounds - just go through a list of files reading key=value variables from each, allowing later ones to override variables set already.

Maybe, rather than just sourcing config files, my config parser could be used here (the simpler version, once it's finalized)? Bl-exit was what I had in mind when writing it, in fact.

John
--------------------

#97 2019-03-06 03:30:50

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Bearded_Blunder wrote:
johnraff wrote:
hhh wrote:

As to that, personally I'd deal with it by new exit has a new package name & declares "Breaks: bunsen-exit" (or "Conflicts:")
That way the script name doesn't need to change or change location, can only have one of them installed, each should be clearing out its "other files" on removal anyway. That method does need a new package name though.

Yes, we'd definitely need to take care of file clashes and ensure smooth upgrades - whether making a new package or changing the current one -  but that's not all that hard to do.

However, I'm not thrilled about the idea of having to maintain two logout interface packages going forward. Can't users who really want to stay with the current bl-exit just continue using the Helium package? Until some future Debian upgrade breaks it...

John
--------------------

#98 2019-03-06 07:00:56

hhh
Meep!
Website

@johnraff, yes. If we were to offer a package for helium bl-exit, it would be a static, unmaintained package, so probably best to drop it altogether and offer it as an archived package or just point users who ask to the github repo for it.

#99 2019-03-06 08:39:00

dolly
Miss Mixunderstand

^ and  ^^ Sounds rational to me. No point in making more work out of it then necessary. By the way, the alternative presented above somewhere looks very nice.

For the record and statistic fanatics, I use bl-exit strategy and shutdown command in terminal approximately 50/50.

Keep BunsenLabs #!yish please.

#100 2019-03-06 18:43:19

ohnonot
...again
Website

Bearded_Blunder wrote:

the trouble with more than one short arguments  eg

bl-exit -m -v

did you look at getopts?
It's a bash builtin and does short arguments in the manner you mention. totally sufficient for this script.

help getopts

edit:
http://wiki.bash-hackers.org/howto/getopts_tutorial

Last edited by ohnonot (2019-03-06 18:43:57)

Board footer