You are not logged in.

#26 2019-03-13 06:50:03

hhh
That's it!
Website

Re: jgmenu as default menu generator for Lithium?

Wow. I just realized that we've added a window-independent root menu and, thanks to some help from BB, a system init and window manager independent logout window to lithium in under a month. Nice!

#27 2019-03-16 05:00:26

johnraff
nullglob
Website

OP now has a link to the post which has specific instructions on trying the jgmenu-implemented BL menu, ie:
https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic … 740#p82740

If anyone has a Buster or Lithium test system running and the time to check this out, any feedback will be most welcome.
Any comments on the whole idea of doing this, for that matter...

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#28 2019-03-16 06:15:56

hhh
That's it!
Website

johnraff wrote:
malm wrote:

@johnraff, I'm not against xbindkeys, but reflect that it seems easier to let each Window Manager define their own key-binds.

Understood. I'm not suggesting using xbindkeys for all keybinds, but only for global, wm-independent, calls - mainly (perhaps only) launching apps. So openbox's rc.xml will go on defining keybinds for manipulating windows - maximize, move desktop etc - in fact everything related to openbox.

My reason for advocating a third-party app for global keybinds is the same as for suggesting moving from the openbox menu to jgmenu in the first place - to make it independent of the window manager. Without an externally defined keybind to launch jgmenu it would continue to depend on having openbox running (or else require the user to configure it themselves). Having done that, it seems to make sense to define keybinds for x-terminal-emulator, bl-file-manager etc in the same place.

@malm, I agree with John's thinking here. If you have any time and motivation, I think it's worth looking into.

#29 2019-03-16 07:23:00

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

Off Topic but on-topic.  I'm loving the direction you guys are taking, keep it up.

I like my Metal like my coffee.......Black!
Resident Metalhead Poser

#30 2019-03-16 08:12:18

hhh
That's it!
Website

Yeah, I agree. We have some good stuff cooking.

#31 2019-03-16 11:39:57

malm
jgmenu developer
Website

johnraff wrote:

If anyone has a Buster or Lithium test system running and the time to check this out, any feedback will be most welcome. Any comments on the whole idea of doing this, for that matter...

Just to clarify, it works fine on Helium too, if you use 'csv_cmd = pmenu' in jgmenurc (which is the default anyway).

@twoion packaged the last version (v2.2.1) last night and put it in the backports repo.

v2.2.1 contains a couple of bug fixes and a new "starter-for-ten" feature which you can try like this:

jgmenu init --apply-obtheme

It doesn't look quite right for all openbox themes, so still some work to do smile

Board footer