You are not logged in.

#26 2015-11-05 22:46:25

Horizon_Brave
Operating System: Linux-Nettrix

Re: What's your day job?

shadowplay wrote:
Horizon_Brave wrote:

I work at the Hardware/Software company Alcatel-Lucent. What's really neat is that Alcatel-Lucent owns Bell Labs. So in my office, at Murry Hill, there's a ton of history with the development of UNIX and the Bell telephone system. Upstairs from my desk, is Dennis Richie's old office.

Personally I work in the IMS development and integration department. But working here around all of these other engineers, developers and administrators is very humbling. If you look up the history of Bell Labs..it's a fascinating story...We created a lot in the past!

WOW...surrounded by history.

My first job out of college in 1986 was developing in C, and K&R was like the bible.....you should take pictures of his old office.....you'll be in your rocking chair some day and be able to impress the new kids with your proximity to "the R in K&R" :-)

I didn't get Dennis' but here's an image of Brian Kernighan's office! Co-Founder of C and UNIX... Brian Kerringham's Office

I'm not a huge twitter guy, but I had to post that... There's a big "Unix Lab" in the upper areas as well.

"I have not failed, I have found 10,000 ways that will not work" -Edison

#27 2015-11-05 23:14:12

Irulan

I'm a
Programmar
Programar
Programer
I write code.

-Hinto

#28 2015-11-05 23:23:52

Panda

^ Hahaha!

“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today a gift...
That's why they call it the present"

― Master Oogway

#29 2015-11-05 23:30:39

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Occupation: International pimp n player o course. ( yeah right smile )

Got into gnu/Linux for .... hmmmm. Recall it was one too many security issues with a window$ system. Played with a couple live session distro's back in '02 and all the most extremely tech literate people I knew were diehard nix enthusiasts.

So after like a 3dy running battle to remove a comp nasty, decided screw it, time to get serious about gnu/nix.

#30 2015-11-05 23:48:10

hhh
Meep!
Website

I know Ubuntu was my first Linux distro, and I know it was while I was using XP. I forget why I became interested, most likely it was because of long and tedious Windows updates.

I started dual-booting via the Wubi project, eventually installed that to disc via LVPM, finally did a real Ubuntu install (sorry, I forget the version), got frustrated when my first dist-upgrade crashed X (never heard that about Ubuntu, have you roll ) and moved to aptosid. glittersloth is the one who suggested I try either #! or aptosid.

And, several years later, I'm building the ISOs for BunsenLabs. I've never written a single line of code that I'm aware of (does a sed command count as code? I'm sure html/css markup doesn't).

#31 2015-11-06 00:00:52

Snap

Freelance sound engineer.

My addiction is borking operative systems. I spent many years on Mac/ProTools, switched to Reaper and now I'm on Linux, but barely doing anything DAW related these days. Switched to Linux (Ubuntu, what else) two years and a half ago and never looked back. I guess some day I will learn some code.

Last edited by Snap (2015-11-06 00:01:04)

#32 2015-11-06 00:01:00

shadowplay

hhh wrote:

Former classical freelance violinist/violist whose transitioning into jazz/alternative. Hired today doing bicycle delivery after a couple of weeks without work, last 2 day gigs were dishwasher.

I hope we get that donation thing happening sometime soon.

Jeez...talent to burn, as my mum would say!

Get the donation thing set up....you guys are doing a great job....i'll be first in line!

#33 2015-11-06 00:08:06

shadowplay

Unia wrote:

Embedded Software and Operating Systems courses teaching C and C++.

That makes sense alright...good to see they still teach the fundamentals :-)

#34 2015-11-06 00:25:34

Frogman

A year ago I got out after about 15 years in construction (masonry). Today I am a Systems Engineer at a great infosec services company, working with a bunch of friends and doing internal IT and building and shipping devices to our customers.

Never underestimate the power of being a life long geek, it brought me a new career. My first Linux was Slackware 3.2. Linux on 4MB RAM was a thing. ;-)

#35 2015-11-06 00:46:41

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Pensioner.
Packed in the restaurant a year and a half ago, but somehow those hours of indolence still haven't come. There's always something...

Started computing with Win98 on a Toshiba Dynabook with 16MB of RAM. Moved up to 192MB and did a bit of html/css/php but eventually MS stopped supporting W98 and the machine wasn't really up to running Xp...

A blog recommended shifting to Linux for such people. Tried Ubuntu (Breezy), but it was slow slow slow, left it for 6 months, discovered Xubuntu (Feisty) and from then on it's been 100% Linux. I don't think I've needed to boot up Windows even once since then. smile

hhh wrote:

does a sed command count as code? I'm sure html/css markup doesn't

Of course it does! Code is code, whether 1 line or 10,000. html/css isn't programming perhaps, because there isn't much of a logic flow but surely it's code, forsooth!

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#36 2015-11-06 01:58:01

hhh
Meep!
Website

I call html/css markup, not code. But I did hack that sed command for the live-build from your examples. So I've partially written exactly one line of code (or script, I'm not sure which).

An impressive resume. smile

#37 2015-11-06 02:37:54

g33zr

I'm retired, but I do a little writing when inspired. My wife claims I spend too much time fiddling with "computer stuff like Linux."  devil

What? Me worry?

Red pill or blue pill?

#38 2015-11-06 02:41:32

hhh
Meep!
Website

^Girlspeak for "when you could be fiddling with me... or at least cleaning the gutters"?

#39 2015-11-06 03:18:44

Hauffi

g33zr wrote:

I'm retired, but I do a little writing when inspired. My wife claims I spend too much time fiddling with "computer stuff like Linux."  devil

Devil emoji? LIES, it must be FreeBSD!

Feel free to contact me through XMPP and Email. | Github.

#40 2015-11-06 04:03:58

gako

I'm a busboy at a seafood place.

First linux slackware than onto crunchbang as my first Debian experience.

Last edited by gako (2015-11-06 04:06:12)

#41 2015-11-06 04:35:29

Temetka

hhh wrote:

^Girlspeak for "when you could be fiddling with me... or at least cleaning the gutters"?

OMG. As a married man I can confirm that is true.

Job: IT Consultant / Sysadmin in a small consulting company myself and few other friends started about 8 years ago.

I got into linux around 1993 on my 486PC. I was also big into phone phreaking and BBS'ing at the time. I've been messing around with it off and on since then. Really got it into on a more serious note about 12 years ago or whenever SuSE 6.3 hit the scene. I've been using *NIX as my primary operaing system for a number of years in the form of OS X. I switched back to Windows when Lion was released and a few months later was dual booting Ubuntu. After that, well linux has slowly replaced my reliance on Windows as a main OS. My next main laptop will feature BL as the primary OS with Windows in a VM.

The meaning of life is to just be alive. It is so plain and so obvious
    and so simple. And yet everybody rushes aroound in a great panic
             as if it were necessary to achieve something beyond themselves.
                                                                                                             - Alan Watts

#42 2015-11-06 04:41:15

tranjeeshan

I'm an Electrical Engineer by profession, working in a 200MW modular power plant in turbine section, and a Linux Unix-like systems' lover by choice! smile

A walk into the past: I always had a special interest for computers. I started using computer with a moderate PC running Window 98. Back then I just played different games on it e.g. Road Rash, House of the Dead, Virtual Cops, etc. I started developing a bent for different software/applications. I enjoyed learning new software which would do wonder for me. Shortcut keys, tips and tricks for using computer like a pro would attract me like hell. I tried different versions of Windows as they came: Windows 98, ME, 2000, XP, Longhorn (not sure whether it was official or locally customized), Vista, 7, 8, and recently 10. I couldn't wait to get my hands on newer software: especially when it came to Windows! I've passed countless days when I remember installing Windows tens of times a day. I can remember Windows XP installation didn't play well with me. Most of my bootable installation CDs would miss driver.cab file. I would the fetch that out, insert another one. When my system was done copying drver.cab file, I would then insert the previous one ejecting current one! It was mainly because of updated versions of the OS. Back then I didn't have access to Internet.
I tried varied software for different purposes. At times, I used portable software in my USB pen drive. Back in the first year of my Engineering varsity, I didn't have any laptop. I used to go to the lab, or to a friends laptop, and use my software/application for the USB drive.
It was late 2011, when I got bored of Windows eventually, and thought of using Ubuntu, which seemed promising for me for it's bizarre name. I didn't have much idea about Linux, let alone Unix or free software. Ubuntu attracted me for it was the only alternative OS I was aware of besides Windows, and I couldn't possibly try Mac OS X on my system. I tried it. It was Ubuntu 11.10. I started reading stuffs about Ubuntu, Linux, and open source world. I got hooked into Ubuntu and the free software philosophy. I started using it 'almost' exclusively. 'Almost' for I had to use Windows for some engineering software that could barely run under WINE.
I learned my way through using Ubuntu and other Ubuntu derivatives. I subscribed to different Linux, Ubuntu related sites though RSS feeds. I developed basic understanding of different aspects one should to become a certified 'newbie'.
Till now I have used mostly Debian and its derivatives. I liked the Debian philosophy, for I believe in the free software movement. I never got to like the RPM distros though I tried several times using Fedora and others. openSUSE seemed promising but wasn't my cup of tea anyway. The only distro I would much love to try is Arch. Maybe later sometimes I would try and use Arch.
Very recently, I read a book by Harley Hahn, titled 'Harley Hahn's guide to Unix and Linux'. The author prefaced in the book that, that book would change the readers life. It indeed did! I developed my love for Unix and its philosophies. I started using different Unix tools and utilities. I use them almost every time. I learned vi for the love of Unix, and would do so for other tools that require so!
Lastly, I used Crunchbang in the past and enjoyed it much. Besides the clutter-free nice nimble system, CB had another great thing about it: #! forums. I learned a great many thing from CB forums and now enjoying my time here in BunsenLabs. I like the friendly atmosphere here. Hope to stick in here for long. Thank you! smile

Last edited by tranjeeshan (2015-11-06 07:31:24)

"Unix is simple. It just takes a genius to understand its simplicity."  - Dennis Ritchie (1941-2011), Unix Co-Creator
Unix philosophy

#43 2015-11-06 06:58:29

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

hhh wrote:

bicycle delivery

I get tired just watching you guys work.

Respect.
neutral

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#44 2015-11-06 06:59:25

ohnonot
...again
Website

i am very impressed with both people's individual jobs and the diversity on the forums.
there is, by the way, also this thread which seems a little like the other side of the coin.

i actually have a vocational training as a computer technician, but that was back in '95.
it was ok, but i didn't exactly excel.
so my outlook was, either continue studying, with or without a job, or sit in a stuffy office and crunch numbers for decades...
i chose to work as a theater technician, and after a couple of year i was thoroughly out of the computer game.

until relatives started handing me down old laptops; first i reinstalled windows, later linux.
my love for the internet & self-governed computing was born.

my job these days is working in a kindergarten, for close to a decade now.
there's not much money in it, but i love every second of it and you can always get a job.

#45 2015-11-06 07:14:37

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

I'm the Quoting guy and Assistant Manager at Ideal Electrical.  For you overseas fellas, Ideal is owned by Rexel Electrical Supplies, the biggest wholesaler in the world.

Good company to work for, interesting job and it pays relatively well.

I like my Metal like my coffee.......Black!
Resident Metalhead Poser

#46 2015-11-06 07:30:06

tranjeeshan

ohnonot wrote:

there's not much money in it, but i love every second of it

That's the main point of a job.  smile

"Unix is simple. It just takes a genius to understand its simplicity."  - Dennis Ritchie (1941-2011), Unix Co-Creator
Unix philosophy

#47 2015-11-06 07:30:41

pa$$word

@ohnonot - I like the way you managed to get in "Windows", "'95", "Office", "Excel", "Outlook".

You're in Finland, aren't you? I thought working in a kindergarten was a cushy job there and a viable career choice. Or am I thinking of Primary School teacher?

Last edited by pa$$word (2015-11-06 07:32:18)

#48 2015-11-06 08:27:50

pvsage
Internal Affairs

ohnonot wrote:

excel
outlook

I see what you did there. wink  I too have a vocational/associate degree in "computer sciences" from the early '90s.

my job these days is working in a kindergarten, for close to a decade now.
there's not much money in it, but i love every second of it and you can always get a job.

Education is one of the noblest of professions!  I often listen to Wait Wait - Don't Tell Me; whenever a call-in guest is a teacher of any sort, their audience always enjoys how frustrated the panelists get about not being able to make fun of the caller.

Be excellent to each other, and...party on, dudes!
BunsenLabs Forum Rules
Tending and defending the Flame since 2009

#49 2015-11-06 13:36:21

g33zr

@ hhh: Cleaning gutters and other handyman fixit tasks is more on the mark. The "honey-do" list never ends.... yikes

What? Me worry?

Red pill or blue pill?

#50 2015-11-06 13:43:51

hhh
Meep!
Website

Lol, the new reality show... Honey Do Do.

Board footer