You are not logged in.

#26 2018-07-05 13:15:42

sleekmason

Re: Distorted GRUB background wallpaper

Okay, I'll stay in userland and leave the kernel go for now.

I think the OP's Grub pic is stretched.  The options for this are located in Grub.d.

The line that might make the difference is in 39_bunsen-text-colours:

$(sed -nr 's/^.*background_image[ \t]+((-m|--mode)[ \t]+(stretch|normal)[ \t]+)?([^; \t]+).*$/\4/p' "${grub_cfg}.new")

Grub normally sets the picture as "normal" I think Beep's is being set as "stretch" somehow?

The OP could try:

sudo grub-mkconfig

That should reset using their current display settings, but it probably won't.

I suppose one possible test would be to comment out in /etc/default/grub:
GRUB_GFXMODE=800x600 The numbers may be different.

If this is commented out, grub will use the highest possible resolution.  This may lead to some insight as well.  This also might not work as expected depending on the initial settings gathered by grub.  If it doesn't, it should just boot the first available, bypassing the screen entirely.

Last edited by sleekmason (2018-07-05 13:40:46)

"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - Calvin Coolidge

#27 2018-07-06 05:58:32

johnraff
nullglob
Website

sleekmason wrote:

The line that might make the difference is in 39_bunsen-text-colours:

$(sed -nr 's/^.*background_image[ \t]+((-m|--mode)[ \t]+(stretch|normal)[ \t]+)?([^; \t]+).*$/\4/p' "${grub_cfg}.new")

This command is just to find what image has been set as grub's background. Easily tested - run it on grub.cfg:

john@helium-dev:~$ sed -nr 's/^.*background_image[ \t]+((-m|--mode)[ \t]+(stretch|normal)[ \t]+)?([^; \t]+).*$/\4/p' /boot/grub/grub.cfg 
/usr/share/images/bunsen/grub/john.png

So it returns my custom grub image. That is then used in a test to see if the default BL image is being used or not, to determine whether to add BL text colours or not. The actual command setting the background image is not edited in any way, so 'stretch' vs 'normal' does not come into it. (read up on sed and regular expressions to figure out what's happening.)

Grub normally sets the picture as "normal" I think Beep's is being set as "stretch" somehow?

That's easily checked too. In my case:

cat /boot/grub/grub.cfg | grep 'background_image'
if background_image /usr/share/images/bunsen/grub/john.png; then

The background image is set via the (complicated) standard grub config. BL doesn't interfere in any way.

The OP could try:

sudo grub-mkconfig

That should reset using their current display settings, but it probably won't.

It certainly won't (grub-mkconfig outputs to stdout by default). The command on Debian is:

sudo update-grub

which I suggested a couple of posts earlier.

I suppose one possible test would be to comment out in /etc/default/grub:
GRUB_GFXMODE=800x600 The numbers may be different.

Sorry if I seem to be demolishing your suggestions one by one, but GRUB_GFXMODE is already commented out by default.

---
Anyway, to make any progress on this, we need some feedback from the OP.

@Beep, could you try:
1)
sudo update-grub
See if any strange messages appear and if the grub image display changes.
2)
cat /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Post the result here.
3)
Install the package desktop-base (you can remove it again later), and on Menu>System>Edit Debian Alternatives>desktop-grub choose one of the new (non-Bunsen) images available. These images ought to work.

And let's take it from there.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#28 2018-07-06 08:45:12

ohnonot
...again
Website

johnraff, please take another look at the image in post #1.
it's an actual photo of the screen, but it's good enough and i clearly recognize that the colors are extremely reduced. i can recreate this in gimp by choosing Image => Mode => Indexed...
http://dt.iki.fi/stuff/forums/bl-grub.png
Beep's picture for comparison:
https://images2.imgbox.com/c0/8b/vbthkHSn_o.jpg
i don't think this has anything to do with resolutions...

#29 2018-07-06 20:12:56

hhh
That's easy!
Website

Let's wait for beep to respond, he's the only one who's reported this issue AFAIK.

Board footer