You are not logged in.

#26 2019-02-03 00:32:47

12oclocker

Re: Wallpaper change not save after login

so I moved the wallpaper entry to the bottom of the autostart file, with a slight modification to it for pre-delay, and now it works, will report back if it stops working, would be nice to have some kind of "fool proof" way to implement this in the iso release so this type of hack is not necessary...

## Set a wallpaper
sleep 1 && nitrogen --restore &

Last edited by 12oclocker (2019-02-03 00:33:57)

#27 2019-02-03 00:45:24

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

It's one of those things, do you slow things down for everyone, or set things so they work for 99.x% of the people quickly?
Anyone who's in the .x% learns how to tweak their openbox autostart, so it isn't even a total loss for them smile

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#28 2019-02-05 10:28:38

THX1138

I tried all the solutions in this thread, and have been reading a thread - here, on the nitrogen github page - which states what the problem is. I used their solution and it worked for a week or so, but then, yesterday, for no apparent reason the wallpaper messed up again. I think I have now solved the problem, but will let you know how it goes, by doing

sudo apt-get --purge remove nitrogen
sudo apt-get install oboinus
(open a terminal and type)
oboinus
(set the wallpaper or background colour, then in autostart put the following entry)
oboinus --restore &
(and remove the nitrogen entry
save and close autostart)

seems to work well so far after 2 warm restarts and a coldboot

Last edited by THX1138 (2019-02-05 17:34:45)

The telephone is an antiquity - you never know who is calling, there is no image, it is an outmoded product which constantly disrupts work (Ralf Hutter (Kraftwerk)) ps: my wife knows how much I dislike being disrupted at Work - Ralf Hutter hit the nail on the head there

#29 2019-02-05 11:44:55

S7.L

I usually have nitrogen the last to load in OB autostart, have it sleep for 2s and usually that works.
Feh always seems to work whatever you do but not as easy to configure, although there is a dmenu script somewhere that lets you choose from a drop down list and sets it but no image preview.

#30 2019-02-05 11:59:36

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

@THX1138 You could always file a bug with Debian too, mention there's a new version upstream that fixes it, who knows? It might get packaged.

@devs
Dunno your views if this is widespread, package the upstream version for Bunsen till it finds it's way into Debian? Package the Stretch version for Lithium till there's a fix? Ship a substitute?  Assuming you can confirm it.

I know interactions with conky were mentioned in the link @THX1138 posted above, but seems to me that since nitrogen runs before conky gets started that may be a red-herring.

In terms of reproducing, that github issue mentions cold boots rather than simple logout/login cycles. May also be a red-herring.

I've not seen it on my own installs, that said I've not messed with wallpaper changing on the standard installs, only the ones I've switched to sysvinit, they don't really count as a fair test of anything much. (changed to distinguish them quickly) Conky failing to start unless I delay it, but no wallpaper issues, but the conky thing is down to the cruddy emulation software I'm using ++ the load on the system I'm using it on from other activities, & has been about as an issue right from the Hydrogen release candidates, nothing changed & I wouldn't call it a bug, leastways not a *Bunsen/Debian* one.

Last edited by Bearded_Blunder (2019-02-05 12:01:22)

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#31 2019-02-06 03:36:11

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Doesn't that GitHub thread claim the issue is fixed in nitrogen 1.6.1? If so, it will come with Buster/Lithium.

Meanwhile (again if I'm reading correctly) a workaround might be to set conky's own_window_type to something other than 'desktop', eg

own_window_type = 'normal',

Something to try.
(Do that on all your running conkys.)

Last edited by johnraff (2019-02-06 03:36:56)

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#32 2019-02-11 20:18:37

THX1138

Pretty sure the issue is not with conky, since i disabled conky, in fact I believe I uninstalled it, yet still got the same problem. My belief is that it is an issue with xinerama and Nitrogen

The telephone is an antiquity - you never know who is calling, there is no image, it is an outmoded product which constantly disrupts work (Ralf Hutter (Kraftwerk)) ps: my wife knows how much I dislike being disrupted at Work - Ralf Hutter hit the nail on the head there

#33 2019-02-11 22:29:55

damo
....moderator....

What happens if you run nitrogen from the menu with

nitrogen --force-setter=xinerama

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#34 2019-02-15 10:55:58

stroudmw

damo wrote:

It may be a timing issue on your system. Try adding a sleep after the nitrogen command in your autostart

## Set a wallpaper
nitrogen --restore && sleep 1

I've just tried that - it didn't work. I did a fresh install Bunsenlabs 9.7 Helium this morning.

#35 2019-02-15 17:20:51

hhh
Meep!
Website

I've posted it before, and I will again. If nitrogen fails for you, use feh. Open your image with feh, right-click>File>Background>Set Filled, then comment out nitrogen and add this to your openbox autostart instead...

sh ~/.fehbg &

Logout.

#36 2019-03-07 11:01:49

hathor
Website

oboinus is a valid alternative

lenovo thinkpad t420s

#37 2019-03-07 11:09:12

damo
....moderator....

hathor wrote:

oboinus is a valid alternative

Not really - it has been removed from Testing due to serious bugs and a Debian policy violation. So as it stands it won't be available in Buster/Lithium.

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#38 2019-03-07 11:21:45

hathor
Website

What a pity, in strech it works very well.

lenovo thinkpad t420s

#39 2019-04-11 23:10:23

makarovnik

I also had the problem with the wallpaper setting not sticking after logout. The sleep 1 command did not fix it for me. I went with the feh solution and edited the "wallpaper" menu item to execute: feh -. -r /home/<user>/Pictures/wallpapers.

Now I use the menu as before and it opens the wallpapers in feh in a maximized window (not stretched) so I can still see the original aspect ratio.

#40 2019-04-12 04:14:43

hhh
Meep!
Website

makarovnik wrote:

I went with the feh solution and edited the "wallpaper" menu item to execute: feh -. -r /home/<user>/Pictures/wallpapers.

Now I use the menu as before and it opens the wallpapers in feh in a maximized window (not stretched) so I can still see the original aspect ratio.

feh is a workaround, it doesn't address this erratic nitrogen bug.

Your command is great! That opens the first wall in the folder and you can use left and right arrows to slideshow through the folder. I like it!

#41 2019-04-12 14:26:54

makarovnik

I read the feh manual in depth and have modified my "wallpaper" menu execute-command to this:

feh -t -E 180 -y 180  -. -r /home/<user>/Pictures/wallpapers

This will start feh and load 180 x 180 pixel thumbnails from my wallpaper directory (and any other directories that have a symlink there). When a link is clicked that image will be loaded into a new window where you can then right click on it and set as your wallpaper.

feh seems a little basic at first glance but there is a boat load of options on how to run it. Play around with it and set it up pretty much any way you want.

Last edited by makarovnik (2019-04-12 14:35:15)

#42 2019-04-12 17:11:41

ohnonot
...again
Website

makarovnik wrote:

feh seems a little basic at first glance but there is a boat load of options on how to run it. Play around with it and set it up pretty much any way you want.

word!

#!/bin/dash

# $@ = list of folders to be searched for images (including subfolders)

# recursive? add -r
feh -r -t -P -N --title Wallpapers -g 1000x900 -W 1008 -E 125 -y 200 -J 20 --index-info '' \
--action "feh -g 1008x630 %F" "$@"

poor man's nitrogen (just add . ~/.fehbg to autostart).

Last edited by ohnonot (2019-04-13 04:57:07)

#43 2019-04-12 19:42:16

makarovnik

That looks promising but as you prolly guessed I only have basic understanding of script files and how to create them (I'm a newbie).

How do I run that? Do I save that as a script file eg. ~/bin/poor_mans_nitrogen.sh or ~/.config/scripts/feh/poor_mans_nitrogen.sh then make it executable and call it from the menu?

Last edited by makarovnik (2019-04-12 19:46:34)

#44 2019-04-12 20:06:15

hhh
Meep!
Website

~/bin is already in your $PATH on BunsenLabs, so make the script executable and move it and call it from there by name (just feh.sh or whatever, no bash needed beforehand).

#45 2019-04-12 21:39:12

makarovnik

OK I thought so. I'm catching on I think. The script works, sort of.

The issue is: After I click on a thumbnail, it opens the image file in a new window as it should. When I close that window it goes back to the thumbnail window but now the thumbnail image for the file I just closed is "blacked out" with an opaque blue background and a white "X" on it. See attached image_1. You will see this on the three thumbnails I opened then closed.

image_1.png

Last edited by makarovnik (2019-04-12 22:31:43)

#46 2019-04-13 04:59:39

ohnonot
...again
Website

^ that's one of the quirks of feh.
i don't see any rhyme or reason for it, but there it is. somebody must have coded that in.

glad you got it working.

i have shortened the script a little, there was at 2 rather needless options in there.

I have this in my menu.xml.

#47 2019-04-13 08:57:55

makarovnik

There is another thing that feh is doing that is weird.

Everytime I use feh to open a group of files in thumbnail mode, then click on one of those thumbnails and set it as a background, feh generates a randomly named .png file in the home directory and sends that random filename to .fehbg

If I do the same thing again and pick a different background it generates another random file. These files build up and clutter up my home directory.

This doesn't happen in fullscreen or window mode. In those modes feh doesn't create a weird random file but rather passes the actual filename of the image to .fehbg

The random .png file isn't even a real image file as it can only be opened by feh but not by any other image viewers. It appears to more of an indexing file or strange link file of some sort.

How can I use thumbnail mode without it generating the weird random .png file?

#48 2019-04-13 14:07:45

ohnonot
...again
Website

it doesn't do that on my machine.
are you using some option that might be causing this?
did you read 'man feh'?
i think you better show us feh's verbose output for this scenarion, and is that file a text file? what does it contain?

#49 2019-04-13 20:02:03

makarovnik

Run this command:

feh -t -E 180 -y 180 -r /home/<user>/Pictures/wallpapers

or

feh -t -E180 -y180  -. -r /home/<user>/Pictures/wallpapers

(substitute your username for <user> of course)
(change directory location if necessary)

Now leave feh open and check your user directory and all is fine.

Next, click one of the thumbnails and set it as wallpaper. Exit and check your user directory and you will see the randomly generated .png file. (See attatched link image_1.png).

If you check .fehbg you will also see the wallpaper set to this random file. .

This file is not really an image file. If you try to load it into any image viewer other than feh you will get a cannot load file error. I tried to open it with a text editor but it will only load a new blank file.

I compared the size of this file to the real file and it is significantly smaller. I think what might be happening is when I use the set thumbnail size command modifier and click on the thumbnail and set it as background, feh generates the file in question.

Funny thing is when I run:

feh -t -r /home/<user>/Pictures/wallpapers

(use default thumbnail size without modifiers)

The random file is not generated and everything works as it should, the same as it does in fullscreen or window mode. I used the verbose option and all I got was a progress indicator. I would prolly have to run this as a script in order to get any useful info but I'm not sure as I'm not experienced enough yet with linux to really know what I'm doing.

image_1.png

#50 2019-04-13 20:35:16

ohnonot
...again
Website

that's so weird.
i can reproduce it with your command, but not with my script.

feh --version
feh version 3.1.3
Compile-time switches: curl exif help stat64 verscmp xinerama

no indications in the man page.

Last edited by ohnonot (2019-04-13 20:37:20)

Board footer