You are not logged in.

#126 2020-04-28 19:50:51

corey.taylor
Website

Re: BL Keyboard discussion thread

Time to revive the thread, I say.

My usual keyboard with the new one (the Keychron).

So far, I can type faster on the Logitech but I think that's mainly because I'm getting used to typing on an English keyboard again. The Keychron works pretty well with Linux out of the box, Bluetooth is a bit dodgy but wired it seems okay so far. There's a little more travel in these Gateron Brown switches vs the GX's in the Logitech. I prefer the linear switches but I'm regretting not getting something more clicky just for something different. Ah well. Taking a while to get used to the compact design and I don't dig the small Enter either. Decent for 100 bucks, though.

I'm actually finding myself fielding questions from people regarding the cost/necessity of buying these things. **** them for several reasons. Number one, I'm a professional who uses his keyboard literally every damn day and professional tools make a difference. Everyone I turned onto mech switches doesn't see the big deal initially but, half an hour later, they're like "...what is this sorcery?!" Second, I'm old enough to remember when literally all keyboards were mechanical. Using these things reminds me of that time, when it was fun merely to have an interest in computing (Amiga nerds, holla at ya boi). Finally, it's a cheap addiction, touchscreens annoy me and my office mates all wear headphones anyway so screw it.

I do hope you enjoyed that. Stay tuned for more rants that redefine pointlessness.

Logitech G513 Carbon

IMG-20200428-204655.jpg

Keychron K4

IMG-20200428-204523.jpg

Last edited by corey.taylor (2020-04-28 19:53:44)

#127 2020-04-28 22:08:06

C#Coder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll

Haha nice collection you got there!

Yeah these keyboards are great, though by the time I was able to start using computers they basically got phased out, but ah well, here I am now with more keyboards than I can use in a single instance lol.

Peripheral, SBC, and router addict lmao
Keeb & SSD Discussions | GitLab

#128 2020-05-01 18:23:14

twoion
ほやほや

In order to combat hand strain, I've bought myself a Cherry MX Board 1.0 with backlight keys. Previously, I was just using my ThinkPad x240's chicklet keyboard (which is absolutely not the worst kind of keyboard you can get in a laptop; it is superior to the Apple Magic Keyboard in any way (at work, they gave me one along with the obligatory Mac(intosh)).

The keyboard is OK but the hand rest shipped with it is a piece of plastic and not very comfortable; it does the job but I'll replace it with something made from leather.

It handles pretty much as expected. The feedback of some the bigger keys (spacebar) is somewhat different than normal keys.

What takes time to get used to is the missing Fn key on the lowest row on the left outer side. Because Lenovo put the key there, they also shifted the position of the Super key one to the right which put it in the perfect place for my shortcuts. Now it looks like I have to replace all my magic key combos with the alt (basically, everything revolved around Super so far) key because my shortcuts are mostly left-hand only, and use super,ctrl left (remapped caps lock), shift, and the keys qaywsydc (QWERTZ).

I specifically ordered a backlit keyboard; but I wouldn't have expected the Super key to blind me when looking at it. Worse, it is blindingly white even when the rest of the backlight is turned off! I'm undecided if I should return the keyboard over this issue. Otherwise the product is fine.

There is also updatable firmware; it looks like I'll be having to use my Windows VM to update the firmware. According to the firmware's changelog, the Super key should then be dimmed a bit. Let's see...

Per aspera ad astra.

#129 2020-05-01 18:50:50

glittersloth
...village idiot

twoion wrote:

I specifically ordered a backlit keyboard; but I wouldn't have expected the Super key to blind me when looking at it. Worse, it is blindingly white even when the rest of the backlight is turned off! I'm undecided if I should return the keyboard over this issue. Otherwise the product is fine.

It's amazing how poorly thought out LED brightness-uniformity can get sometimes. On my laptop, the CapsLock, FnLock, Mute and MicMute LEDs are either too blinding when the backlight is turned off or at the lower brightness settings, or too similar in brightness to everything else at the highest brightness setting.

#130 2020-05-01 19:44:14

twoion
ほやほや

glittersloth wrote:
twoion wrote:

It's amazing how poorly thought out LED brightness-uniformity can get sometimes. On my laptop, the CapsLock, FnLock, Mute and MicMute LEDs are either too blinding when the backlight is turned off or at the lower brightness settings, or too similar in brightness to everything else at the highest brightness setting.

You can turn it off…as in, turning the key off, the light AND its functionality. Cherry put a Cherry key on the keyboard which activates "gaming mode".

The rest of the backlight concept is OK I think. Numlock, scrolllock and caps lock always have disabled background light unless the locks are actually engaged.

If only they hadn't screwed up the Super key.

Per aspera ad astra.

#131 2020-05-02 05:27:20

nore
>2⁹

twoion wrote:

I specifically ordered a backlit keyboard; but I wouldn't have expected the Super key to blind me when looking at it.

• put a sticker on it

• or black tape

• or paint the key, leaving a small keyhole in the middle

edit: flame shaped keyhole, of course

Last edited by nore (2020-05-02 05:28:27)

#132 2020-05-02 08:57:44

ohnonot
...again
Website

twoion wrote:

Previously, I was just using my ThinkPad x240's chicklet keyboard (which is absolutely not the worst kind of keyboard you can get in a laptop; it is superior to the Apple Magic Keyboard in any way (at work, they gave me one along with the obligatory Mac(intosh)).

It looks just like the keyboard on my x250; do you also have trouble with the space key?
It's driving me crazy: if I'm not very explicitely and consciously using it (it's not necessarily a question of force, more like finding the right angle and hitting it in the center) Iendupwithmysentenceswrittenlikethis.
Apart from that the keyboard is fine.
I just wonder if it's a common problem with thinkpad keyboards - or not, and hoping to be able to fix it somehow.

BL quote proposals to this thread please.
how to ask smart questions | my repos / my repos | my blog
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

#133 2020-05-02 09:56:11

twoion
ほやほや

ohnonot wrote:
twoion wrote:

Previously, I was just using my ThinkPad x240's chicklet keyboard (which is absolutely not the worst kind of keyboard you can get in a laptop; it is superior to the Apple Magic Keyboard in any way (at work, they gave me one along with the obligatory Mac(intosh)).

It looks just like the keyboard on my x250; do you also have trouble with the space key?
It's driving me crazy: if I'm not very explicitely and consciously using it (it's not necessarily a question of force, more like finding the right angle and hitting it in the center) Iendupwithmysentenceswrittenlikethis.
Apart from that the keyboard is fine.
I just wonder if it's a common problem with thinkpad keyboards - or not, and hoping to be able to fix it somehow.

No; the spacebar is working very well. If you have trouble to activate the key I suggest taking it of and cleaning everything (just take care not to lose the springs).

Apart from that: I've performed the firmware upgrade on the Cherry MX Board 1.0 from v1.02 to v1.03, and that solved the issue with the overly bright Windows key -- they now dimmed the brightness to an acceptable, comfortable level. With that, the only new complaint I have is that there is white light bleed from below the spacebar which looks kind of sloppy when you sit in front and not over the keyboard.

Per aspera ad astra.

#134 2020-05-02 19:02:54

corey.taylor
Website

Update for the Keychron (it's still relatively new, YT personalities have been spruiking it, has some hipster cred, etc.). It works flawlessly when connected via the cable but the Bluetooth is pretty spotty. Just randomly drops out. I don't mind as I tend to keep it connected anyway and, to be honest, I just generally treat Bluetooth as technology that barely works. Not quite sure what the problem is, though, so if anyone has any ideas for what I could try, I'm all ears!

#135 2020-05-05 18:11:42

ohnonot
...again
Website

twoion wrote:

No; the spacebar is working very well. If you have trouble to activate the key I suggest taking it of and cleaning everything (just take care not to lose the springs).

Thanks again, that's just the confirmation I needed to try that. I know how fiddly that is, so I was reluctant...

BL quote proposals to this thread please.
how to ask smart questions | my repos / my repos | my blog
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

Board footer