You are not logged in.

#26 2018-03-01 07:57:55

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: [OUTDATED]Please help us test the Helium alpha iso.

johnraff wrote:

If you want to start it all up all over again

Oh dear me no, I'm not interested in that at all.

I'm dealing with it through cognitive dissonance: having a crap terminal emulatotor is actually a positive thing because it encourages our users to change things and tweakage is what BunsenLabs is all about.

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#27 2018-03-01 08:03:29

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

jesito wrote:

What do you want me to try?

Just use it like you would a normal desktop and report on anything untoward, thanks!

jesito wrote:

I started Synaptic and found a very few apps there

Yes, sorry, that's my fault — I suggested that the image be shipped without a package database to save space but that will not be the case for future images.

To get your package list back run:

sudo apt update
jesito wrote:

Would it be possible to replace Thunar by Caja?

This should do it:

sudo apt install caja
sudo update-alternatives --set bl-file-manager $(which caja)

I think Caja is one of the alternatives so it should automatically take the place of thunar for any "file manager" operations wink

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2018-03-01 08:04:46)

#28 2018-03-01 08:15:47

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

The recommended approach is to force the monitor dimensions in the configuration file becuase otherwise X will set DPI to 96 and derive the physical size from the resolution, which is always wrong.

In fact my display is 88x87 and X is getting this right, somehow, with no entry in .Xresources:

john@bunsen1:~$ xdpyinfo | grep -B 2 resolution
screen #0:
  dimensions:    1440x900 pixels (411x263 millimeters)
  resolution:    89x87 dots per inch

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#29 2018-03-01 08:23:41

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Another small issue: man pages come up in 'more' not 'less'. The pager less has been dropped from debootstrap's install for some reason - it was there when I did the Deuterium builds.

Anyway, a quick search failed to find any explanation, so I'm just going to add 'less' to our default install list (along with fonts-noto-cjk). It's a much more congenial pager than 'more', and not a big install.

John
--------------------

#30 2018-03-01 08:45:04

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

johnraff wrote:

In fact my display is 88x87 and X is getting this right, somehow, with no entry in .Xresources

Awesome cool

The X server just gets better with every release.

johnraff wrote:

add 'less'

Can we please use most and set that to /etc/alternatives/pager instead?

It's the best pager around (it even works on binary files & MBR records) and will give us coloured man pages OOTB.

#31 2018-03-01 13:07:54

tknomanzr
BL Die Hard

^ That would be nice.

#32 2018-03-01 13:42:34

Sun For Miles

Managed to briefly test live and installed scenario in VirtualBox, both seem to be in order. Installed some extra apps in both cases and ran some basic tests.

Live

oIbg5dLm.png

Installed

OsrYDtHm.png

Señor Chang, why do you teach Spanish?

#33 2018-03-01 15:03:22

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Installed on the family AMD laptop (UEFI) and it went fine but it skipped straight through the GRUB stage and just made a boot entry without asking, which I consider to be rather rude.

There were pre-existing NVRAM entries and the installer didn't actually change the boot order so the old bootloader was still in place (and lacking a BunsenLabs entry) upon reboot after installation.

The "bunsenlabs" [sic] entry can be booted from the firmware ("BIOS") menu options but is not otherwise accessible.

I do have a very peculiar setup with $ESP/efi/boot/bootx64.efi being used because the NVRAM entries are easily "lost" by the crappy UEFI firmware so perhaps that's why, it would be useful to hear from anyone else installing a UEFI system.

Also, the Windows 10 system on that machine was not recognised at all and no entry appears in the BunsenLabs GRUB menu, I have no idea why.

EDIT: I've just remembered that I may have moved bootmgfw.efi to a non-standard location, that would explain why BL's GRUB can't find it.

I will check later...

EDIT2: yes, bootmgfw.efi is actually systemd-bootx64.efi in a cunning disguise and apparently GRUB is not fooled, hence no Win10 entry.

There was no attempt by the installer to add the BL boot entry to the bootorder list, which is worrying.

I am hoping this is because bootx64.efi is on my ESP and Debian is deferring to that.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2018-03-01 22:16:22)

#34 2018-03-01 21:17:50

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office

It does install in virtualbox, congrats for the iso.

#35 2018-03-02 00:36:18

stevep
MX Linux Developer

You can also upload it to archive.org if Google comes down on you for too many downloads.  Archive.org also automatically sets up a torrent for it.

Do you want to have it be Virtual Box friendly out of the box? (screen-resizing, shared folders, etc) We did that for MX Linux, but we needed a patched version to shut down an annoying but harmless message when it was installed on real hardware.

#36 2018-03-02 06:08:11

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
johnraff wrote:

add 'less'

Can we please use most and set that to /etc/alternatives/pager instead?

This is a bit like a request to use my favourite text editor as default. Less is what most people expect when man pages open, it has Debian priority of "important" (most is "optional") and comes with most Debian installs OOTB. Most has slightly different keyboard commands (and is ugly IMO.)
Anyway, can we stay with the standard vanilla pager for this? As we always say in these cases, most is just an apt-get and update-alternatives away. smile

---

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Installed on the family AMD laptop (UEFI) and it went fine but it skipped straight through the GRUB stage and just made a boot entry without asking, which I consider to be rather rude.

Really! That's outrageous. I've never had that happen with a Debian-Installer. I hope it was because of your unusual setup. Anyway, I don't think anything in our preseed file would have affected the grub install stage.

---

stevep wrote:

You can also upload it to archive.org if Google comes down on you for too many downloads.  Archive.org also automatically sets up a torrent for it.

Thanks for the idea. Set up an account, and uploading a trial iso now. Unfortunately the licence settings don't have a GPL option.

EDIT: But they do provide a direct download url, along with a torrent which works.
32bit iso alpha-5-i386:
https://archive.org/download/helium-alp … 5-i386.iso
https://archive.org/download/helium-alp … ve.torrent
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1f_wmqp … sp=sharing

---

Do you want to have it be Virtual Box friendly out of the box?

Ooh, that's dangerous talk. Expect a virulent execration of VB and all its works any moment now...
...heads down...

Last edited by johnraff (2018-03-02 06:22:58)

John
--------------------

#37 2018-03-02 06:58:39

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

Nice, downloading now.  Will report back.

I like my Metal like my coffee.......Black!

#38 2018-03-02 07:18:55

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

Still in the live enviroment but I have to say, first impressions are WOW!

Love that welcome screen, the themes are pure magic.  Great work guys.

Just a minor quirk, but it maybe your guys preference.  In the Help & Resource menu there are separators top and bottom of the first section that clash with the titles separators.  It doesn't look quite right.

These also appear in the Multimedia and Graphics menus as well.

Last edited by Dobbie03 (2018-03-02 07:35:26)

#39 2018-03-02 07:40:12

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

johnraff wrote:

can we stay with the standard vanilla pager for this?

Yes, of course. I had to try, at least monkey

johnraff wrote:

Really! That's outrageous. I've never had that happen with a Debian-Installer. I hope it was because of your unusual setup. Anyway, I don't think anything in our preseed file would have affected the grub install stage.

I will try again tonight and remove $ESP/efi/boot/bootx64.efi before running the installer to see if that changes things — that .efi loader is only needed for broken UEFI implementations and it could be that the Debian installer recognises that.

Also, the UEFI on that laptop is particularly broken and it won't boot anything except Windows' bootmgfw.efi loader (if it on the EFI system partition), which is why I am disguising my systemd-boot loader so it could be that the installer did attempt to change the boot order but the firmware ignored it.

stevep wrote:

Do you want to have it be Virtual Box friendly out of the box?

That's a nice idea thanks but there is no VirtualBox package available in the current Debian stable release (because their security support was so bad) and I would be wary of providing anything that would appear to endorse the use of VB as a "safe" virtualisation solution.

EDIT: I would be happy to investigate adding native Xen support to BL, if there was any interest big_smile

EDIT2: in fact, I think I may do that anyway, it sounds interesting glasses

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2018-03-02 07:54:06)

#40 2018-03-02 08:27:50

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Dobbie03 wrote:

Just a minor quirk, but it maybe your guys preference.  In the Help & Resource menu there are separators top and bottom of the first section that clash with the titles separators.  It doesn't look quite right.
These also appear in the Multimedia and Graphics menus as well.

Thanks for the feedback here. I tend to agree with you that the separator under the title "Online Help" isn't needed. There's no equivalent underline under "man pages" for example.

But the others, I think might have a purpose:
*)between Arch Wiki and Openbox divides general help from specific BL apps - it could come out though
*)under the top item in the graphics and multimedia menus divides off a section that more things will be added to if the user installs something from the "install" sub-menu.

Opinions?
Any other opinions on the menu names etc?

Last edited by johnraff (2018-03-02 08:28:31)

John
--------------------

#41 2018-03-02 11:14:41

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Alpha 6 - Asian fonts, apt indices restored, hardware detection tool works, and https on all apt sources, both live and in the installed system:
https://archive.org/download/helium-alp … -amd64.iso

The installed sources.list could have been tweaked by a post-install script, but I wanted to co-operate with debian-installer if at all possible so people who'd done an expert install wouldn't have their work overwritten. The installer in fact has hard-coded http protocol for debian security (bug report) but eventually I took the advice of the last post and removed the standard security service, adding a custom repository for https://deb.debian.org/debian-security instead, which has worked OK.

The Hardware Detection Tool in the syslinux boot menu now works well, but there's no way back to the boot menu. "Reboot" and "Exit" are the only options. Yes, rebooting does get back to the menu, but it feels clumsy, while "exit" drops you at a boot: prompt, with no hint of what might be an acceptable command, and a hard poweroff the only way out.

John
--------------------

#42 2018-03-02 13:15:33

vinzv
Website

As archive.org was quite slow for me I decided to put up a mirror. 1Gbps, located in DE, hope that helps:
https://mirror.vinzv.space/bunsenlabs/helium/alpha/

@johnraff: Maybe adding md5sums to the downloads would be good. I don't expect people to trust me like they trust you. wink

#43 2018-03-02 14:57:26

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

Alpha6 ... tried in VBox. Installed almost all possible software.

Everything went well, thanks a lot to devs for the nice alpha. (Why alpha? It seems ready for production.) Definitely, something to recommend to friends.

Will try later on bare metal.

Big big big kudos for "BunsenLabs TTY" GRUB options! If I will ever use BL again, it will be my default choice! (Yes, I don't like login(?) managers ...)

Personal opinion: as much as it works, this green colour is stab in my eye ... too bad the BL deviated from the old #! design  cry But, this is just my personal preference, don't take it too seriously, or even serious at all  big_smile

Once more, big congratulation to the dev team!  kiss  kiss

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..

#44 2018-03-02 15:03:31

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

EDIT: I would be happy to investigate adding native Xen support to BL, if there was any interest big_smile

Why xen? Go for kvm, since this is endorsed by RedHat.

PS. I have a server on debian jessie + xen, and it works nicely (domUs: 2xFreeBSD - apache and mariadb, 2xDebian - cups and git). The network is somewhat involved until you get the grip, i.e. get the right iptools arguments.

I wish I went the kvm route, since it seems to be a bit more actively developed - as I mention RedHat took the kvm as the virtualization solution (over xen).

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..

#45 2018-03-02 15:56:32

unklar

johnraff wrote:

EDIT: But they do provide a direct download url, along with a torrent which works.
32bit iso alpha-5-i386:
https://archive.org/download/helium-alp … 5-i386.iso
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1f_wmqp … sp=sharing

---

Unfortunately, is that
pae, what's not written here.   yikes

#46 2018-03-02 19:34:48

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

iMBeCil wrote:

Personal opinion: as much as it works, this green colour is stab in my eye ... too bad the BL deviated from the old #! design

Have you tried the BLOB configurator?

It has some options for more traditional desktops and I will probably try to add a "Helium Grey" version because I'm a big fan of monochrome themes.

iMBeCil wrote:

Why xen? Go for kvm

Been there, done that:

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=1546 big_smile

Nothing much to do for KVM anyway, BunsenLabs will work very nicely OOTB.

@vinzv: thanks for the mirror!

#47 2018-03-02 19:59:25

topdollar
Website

Very sweet install on VMware workstation pro, no issues to report yet, thank you for removing the caps lock disabled by default, that was always one of the first things I had to resolve when doing previous installs :-) I usually set up my passwords with multiple combinations and I always forgot about that and then I couldn't login during the BL-Welcome script.

Cheers!

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you have constructed... The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the FORCE" -Darth Vader

#48 2018-03-02 22:37:48

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

johnraff wrote:

*)under the top item in the graphics and multimedia menus divides off a section that more things will be added to if the user installs something from the "install" sub-menu.

Was my thinking too.

Installing now to an HDD.  I'll give this a solid test over the rest of the weekend.

#49 2018-03-02 23:49:22

jesito
Website

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
jesito wrote:

What do you want me to try?

Just use it like you would a normal desktop and report on anything untoward, thanks!

jesito wrote:

I started Synaptic and found a very few apps there

Yes, sorry, that's my fault — I suggested that the image be shipped without a package database to save space but that will not be the case for future images.

To get your package list back run:

sudo apt update
jesito wrote:

Would it be possible to replace Thunar by Caja?

This should do it:

sudo apt install caja
sudo update-alternatives --set bl-file-manager $(which caja)

I think Caja is one of the alternatives so it should automatically take the place of thunar for any "file manager" operations wink

Installed on my barebone (2Gb mem, 160Gb hdisk, Pentium-R dual CPU E2180, 2.00Ghz). Works like a charm, not any single trouble installing it. BL-welcome took care of updating the package database, and caja is running after linking the alternative in the way you told me. (BTW I used apt-get instead of apt).

Now the system is running fine, all the apps show up under synaptic and now I'm installing my usual toolset.

Kind regards, and thanks for such a nice envirorment.

3D or not 3D, that is not anymore the question.

#50 2018-03-03 01:42:51

johnraff
nullglob
Website

vinzv wrote:

As archive.org was quite slow for me I decided to put up a mirror. 1Gbps, located in DE, hope that helps:
https://mirror.vinzv.space/bunsenlabs/helium/alpha/
@johnraff: Maybe adding md5sums to the downloads would be good. I don't expect people to trust me like they trust you. wink

Many thanks for the mirror! cool

Here are the md5 sums (also added to the OP):

alpha5-i386
298c8d5b34a7dbb502b4388e2389f524

alpha6
6dcb91986f4101c318adad07ece0ed6b

If archive.org is very slow, I could also put the files on Google drive, as before?

---

iMBeCil wrote:

Why alpha? It seems ready for production.

Mainly because the BL official apt repos have not yet been set up.

---

unklar wrote:

Unfortunately, is that pae, what's not written here.

Yes the 32bit iso is PAE. The CD-sized iso, intended for older machines, will have a non-PAE 32bit kernel, though. Users who install from a CDROM but want PAE can easily upgrade via the welcome script.

CD iso coming soon!

---

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Have you tried the BLOB configurator?
It has some options for more traditional desktops and I will probably try to add a "Helium Grey" version because I'm a big fan of monochrome themes.

There is already a "BunsenLabs_Grey" which is meant to be that very thing. If you prefer the grey "velvet noise" background to a monochrome "beam" wallpaper there is "Crunchbang" too, which uses the Faenza icons (have to be installed though).

John
--------------------

Board footer