You are not logged in.

#126 2015-12-09 13:57:53

nobody0
Disabled account

Re: Distro-hoppers anonymous

@ BLwillbegreat,

Have some patience and try a bit more. Arch is really good, once you get it installed.

Maybe someone should upload his working Arch system, squashed of course, so the others can benefit from it.

#127 2015-12-09 16:00:41

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Got it up, everything pretty much working. Only major thing left on the list is config'ing the wireless to auto connect. Probably just install ceni or some other network manager. But yeah ... gonna keep it around to dork with for awhile longer.

As in times past though just not seeing what all the hubbub is about. Other than the few hours it takes config'ing junk that majority of distro's take care of ootb. Not seeing much by way of return/benefit for that time invested.

(Edit: To be fair am sure for people more familiar w Arch the time taken drops dramatically but initially anyway, it's a real pita.)

Jessie netinstall was up and running in a fraction of the time (with all customization complete to preference) and the same would be with a Debian Sid netinstall too. Pretty much same thing, base system with only what user opts to install and the packages in that case aren't that far off in terms of version #, w/o even resorting to enabling experimental, or finding .debs or compiling etc etc.

Do like pacman though. Almost as much as apt. Findings as with other times dorking w Arch, it's gnu/Linux. Much the same as with so many others. Just requires jumping through hoops, sinking time to setup basic things and then winding up with well ... a gnu/Linux OS. Anyway who am I kidding, am definitely and permanently Debian biased now.

Do like the roll your own vs ready made where all choices are made for a nixer. So Arch definitely gets a thumbs up there. Jmo ... still makes it a bit over time intensive. I could've sunk those few hours into one of the dang mad nix scientist experiments on my 2do list instead! Arghhhh.

Vll! smile

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2015-12-09 16:37:28)

#128 2015-12-09 16:13:14

C#Coder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll

Like pacman? ALMOST as much as apt?

That will change!

Peripheral, SBC, and router addict lmao
Keeb & SSD Discussions

#129 2015-12-09 16:28:51

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

^ Heya Coder ... hope you're doing well.

Yeah do like Arch's package manager. There was talk of it being ported to other distro's. Wondering if that ever came to be ? Though yeah, still like apt as a preference and you're right likely do to being familiar with using it vs not so much with pacman atm.

Not to mention, apt is no slouch in what it's capable of. Fricker has been around forever and a dy.

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2015-12-09 16:47:47)

#130 2015-12-09 16:58:12

pingu

if I would call apt a sharp knife, pacman would be a lazer  scalpel tongue

"Chuck Norris can compile syntax errors."

#131 2015-12-09 17:04:49

tknomanzr
BL Die Hard

Apt has been getting some TLC lately in sid. apt-cache search the other day brought an entirely new look in. Instead of a basic list, it had md5, sha info and all that in addition to package name and description. Although more info was nice, I will probably have to start piping searches through less to keep them readable.

#132 2015-12-09 17:14:37

pingu

edit:. relevancy

Last edited by pingu (2015-12-09 17:15:58)

"Chuck Norris can compile syntax errors."

#133 2015-12-09 17:49:12

PackRat
jgmenu user Numero Uno

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

DragonFly BSD 4.4.1 is out (they skipped 4.4.0 due to the late inclusion of an OpenSSL patch):
https://www.dragonflybsd.org/release44/

Looks like it will support the HD4600 on my laptop so I may not have any GNU/Linux systems at all when I eventually [1] get my new SSD yikes

[1] Curse you Amazon!  mad

I was looking at DragonFly BSD myself.

NetBSD also had a recent release.

You must unlearn what you have learned.
    -- yoda

#134 2015-12-09 17:53:11

nobody0
Disabled account

Great you got Arch installed BL..G8.

We would be happy, if we can have live isos, or netinstall isos, so we could install any distro/OS. We would like to have an app to boot it up in live mode, so we can have a look at it, and an installer app inside it, so we could install it by just giving our user name, locale, time etc and with few clicks.

Most distros are actually someone's working system, without the user name, locale, fstab and time set to UTC, and when you install it, you get that person's configs, but with your user name, host name, locale, local time, fstab.

#135 2015-12-10 08:49:09

Temetka

I tried Ubuntu 15.04 w/ Unity on my Precision M4400.

I do not like Unity. Nope, not one bit. Nor do I like Gnome 3 either which I recently gave a spin on.

To be honest I kept sitting there using the system and thinking to myself that none of this behaves like BL. I tried for a bit to "unlock" Unity and make Ubuntu more BL like.

I gave up and re-loaded BL. Man it feels good to be home. smile

The meaning of life is to just be alive. It is so plain and so obvious
    and so simple. And yet everybody rushes aroound in a great panic
             as if it were necessary to achieve something beyond themselves.
                                                                                                             - Alan Watts

#136 2015-12-10 16:31:07

Nili
Website

^Perhaps they're too bloated for your system smile

Devuan // CWM
Fedora // GNOME

#137 2015-12-10 20:09:36

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

My OpenBSD-current system is now starting up with Secure Boot enabled.

I am well pleased.
smile

EDIT: This system plays full HD (1080p) YouTube videos out of the box, sound and everything with no tweaking required.

That cannot be said of the vast majority of GNU/Linux distributions I have tried.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2015-12-10 22:05:26)

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#138 2015-12-11 06:17:31

Temetka

Nili wrote:

^Perhaps they're too bloated for your system smile

My T410 has an i5, 250GB SSD, 8GB of RAM and an Nvidia GPU. It's handled everything I have thrown at it so far with aplomb.

But this being a text based medium, you were probably cracking a joke at the distro and not my gear and I completely missed it.

It's been a very long day. I plan on drowning my brain in beer for medication purposes after I work out.

The meaning of life is to just be alive. It is so plain and so obvious
    and so simple. And yet everybody rushes aroound in a great panic
             as if it were necessary to achieve something beyond themselves.
                                                                                                             - Alan Watts

#139 2015-12-11 06:41:19

Snap

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

My OpenBSD-current system is now starting up with Secure Boot enabled.

I am well pleased.
smile

EDIT: This system plays full HD (1080p) YouTube videos out of the box, sound and everything with no tweaking required.

That cannot be said of the vast majority of GNU/Linux distributions I have tried.

Really? That's cool. It usually needs a lot of tweaking to get it right.

I always read that the Unix hardware compatibility was lower than Linux. Anyway, whenever I finish tweaking my (80 years) old dad's computer to make it super easy to use for him, I'll give OpenBSD a try for sure.

#140 2015-12-12 07:39:41

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

That's one thing about HOAS,

The guy is NOT playing around, he's dead serious when it comes to trying everything tech fellows. Ya almost got me there HOAS, was considering following suit and trying to install openbsd too. However fortunately my laziness instincts kicked in, in time to prevent me from such a folly.

Though is good to hear you're enjoying a positive bsd experience fellow nixer. smile

#141 2015-12-12 10:14:08

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

BLwillbegreat! wrote:

Ya almost got me there

devil

In all seriousness, anybody wanting to try OpenBSD (or indeed any of the BSDs) should try it out on a separate drive.

They tend to play cuckoo with other operating systems unless you know what you're doing.

#142 2015-12-12 16:17:24

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

^Thanks ... not even going there though. Have considered it for quite awhile and since am truly lazy think I'll just stick to gnu/Linux. Inititally evaluated the bsd's vs Nix and for reasons only somewhat recall gnu/nix won out.

*Hardware support, speed and size of community developing the platform being the main two I remember.

Plus doesn't appear Openbsd is able to grok GPT/UEFI as of yet and am not enabling legacy ( CSM) on any PC. It's almost 2016, any platform not up with the times I'm leaving behind. That's one way to simplify my tech-life. Will just try to be content playing with Arch and Debian is really all I need in an OS. Next big gnu/nix adventure for me is Fedora. Have been wanting to install it just to see.

#143 2015-12-12 16:37:38

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

BLwillbegreat! wrote:

Plus doesn't appear Openbsd is able to grok GPT/UEFI

Posting this from my UEFI OpenBSD laptop with Secure Boot enabled cool

https://blog.jasper.la/openbsd-uefi-bootloader-howto/

EDIT: Only in -current

#144 2015-12-12 17:28:23

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

^ Hey thanks again HOAS,

Guess a rudimentary search and some somewhat recent discussion don't a fact make fellow nixer. smile Also appreciate the heads up about using a seperate hard disk if ever do get around to installing Openbsd will definitely heed your advice. Maybe someday but really doubting it. Think I could spend the rest of ma life dorking with gnu/Linux and still won't have covered but a fraction of all the kickbutt stuff possible to do with it.

Trying to work up the energy to dork with Fedora atm. Have you tried it yet HOAS ? If so mind sharing your impression/findings ?

Vll! smile

#145 2015-12-12 18:44:17

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

BLwillbegreat! wrote:

Fedora

I use F23 as my live environment for internet banking and suchlike.

It has a very nice SELinux implementation and firewall setup and of course the GNOME 3.18 desktop is lovely to use.

I did try Rawhide briefly but I couldn't make it work as a usable desktop.

#146 2015-12-12 19:04:10

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

^Duly noted ... will eventually give Fedora a shot. Now that Arch is setup, am bored but runs very well and do like it, as have every other time I'd dorked with it. Just initially a big pain in the buttocks, after which a person ends up with a gnu/Linux OS.

Kinda get where the people behind Arch are coming from. They invested time,effort, expense. So it's a rite of passage expecting new users to do likewise. Was going to try Gentoo but came to my senses in time ( and with some advice from respected nixers on the topic, confirming the conclusions I'd reached.)

aka: Would be a good learning experience but overall doubting it's worth all the time/hassle. With marginal performance benefits for the required investment. Like 99.9% already provided by Debian-etc. Just can't see dumping a week for such gains.

End of the dy, have found my end all, be all OS = Debian but things like Arch and soon Fedora will help break things up and stave off boredom perhaps.

#147 2015-12-13 13:41:37

eight.bit.al

Just started playing with:
http://www.vkarobase.com.br/wakawa_reflex_en.php

Ascetically quite pleasing. More to follow.

8bit

In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

#148 2015-12-13 14:34:06

nobody0
Disabled account

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
BLwillbegreat! wrote:

Fedora

I use F23 as my live environment for internet banking and suchlike.

Safety in using internet banking depends on the bank's security system, rather than the OS, I suppose.

#149 2015-12-13 14:37:19

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

ostrolek wrote:

Safety in using internet banking depends on the bank's security system, rather than the OS, I suppose.

That is a very good point but at least using the live environment completely rules out the possibility of key loggers or trojans (or root kits in my Secure Boot enabled set up).

I will probably change to Qubes OS as that offers virtualised containers for internet banking.
https://www.qubes-os.org/intro/

EDIT: Downloading now big_smile

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2015-12-13 14:40:57)

#150 2015-12-13 14:51:56

nobody0
Disabled account

^ Its always better to speak with the bank about its security system, before joining that bank. And, also use few different OSs from time to time connect with the bank, and also keep your info in another partition or USB stick. Live system is on password-less root, so might be a problem.

Board footer