Like sands through an hourglass...

Re: Distro-hoppers anonymous

jeffreyC wrote:
Sector11 wrote:

Just "might" try siduction someday.

. . . someday . . . maybe

Like when they have an OpenBox edition  big_smile

They have a Fluxbox edition.  cool

I loved Flux but the only bad thing is its poor handling of multi monitor setups. With Flux you can disable the builtin task bar and use Tint2 which works.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2021-07-31 18:13:03)

Real Men Use Linux

#1427 2021-07-31 18:49:25

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

jeffreyC wrote:

Yup, I saw that.

Fluxbox is not OpenBox like Linux is not Windows.

{putting on fireproof, bullet proof, virus proof and anti-nuclear proof protection - just in case} 

lol  lol

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#1428 2021-07-31 19:52:47

DeepDayze

Sector11 wrote:
jeffreyC wrote:

Yup, I saw that.

Fluxbox is not OpenBox like Linux is not Windows.

{putting on fireproof, bullet proof, virus proof and anti-nuclear proof protection - just in case} 

lol  lol

Yes we know you are a rabid die-hard fan of Fluxbox  devil

Real Men Use Linux

#1429 2021-08-01 07:39:04

unklar
Back to the roots 1.9

Sector11 wrote:

Just "might" try siduction someday.

. . . someday . . . maybe

Like when they have an OpenBox edition  big_smile

In the LXDE edition it has always been no problem to run the session with OpenBox. tongue big_smile

sitzungsauswahl.th.png     Link

But you should be aware that you have to do a dist-upgrade or full-upgrade at least 1x per week. This is mandatory in the Siduction! Otherwise there is a risk of an unstable system. Unfortunately, you lack some of the hardware power.  hmm

I know, my friend, that you share the computer with your dear wife. That's why I had the idea years ago to give you this ThinkPadT500 to you. Unfortunately, however, I was specifically warned not to do so when checking the export regulations.
You yourself have also confirmed this here in the forum, with the "friendly Argentine customs officials".  yikes  wink

I have not found a friendly pilot so far....

Last edited by unklar (2021-08-01 07:42:49)

#1430 2021-08-01 08:31:36

hhh
Meep!
Website

Do it. Unstable is more stable than testing (except for now, when testing is in a freeze). Watch the siduction forum and you'll be fine. Problems happen, they get fixed, you just have to wait them out.

Also watch Julias'/machinebacon's Linux BBQ. I thought they were done, but no!

https://linuxbbq.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=9

Meh, one post in the last year, they're done.

#1431 2021-08-01 14:18:52

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

DeepDayze wrote:

Yes we know you are a rabid die-hard fan of Fluxbox  devil

Who me .. yup .. {poof}
Well, that was a weird dream.  big_smile

#1432 2021-08-01 14:55:41

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

unklar wrote:

{snip}

You yourself have also confirmed this here in the forum, with the "friendly Argentine customs officials".  yikes  wink

I have not found a friendly pilot so far....

Thank you ... but it's just is not worth the risk. Friendly pilot or not.  smile

Not even close to worth it.

@ hhh - I ran Debian SID years ago for about 2 years.  Loved it, but my fatfingeritis did me in well that and the fact I am the Tpyo Knig.

And I agree for stability SID is more stable than testing.

During that time these aliases came to be:

alias up2='sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade --no-install-recommends'
alias sup2='sudo apt update && apt upgrade --no-install-recommends --simulate'

alias disup2='sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade --no-install-recommends'
alias sdisup2='sudo apt update && apt dist-upgrade --no-install-recommends --simulate'

I still use "up2" all the time.

And yes yes, I know "upgrade" is not necessary, but it had never hurt me and the aliases are there.

And I also see a "do-release-upgrade" when I use Uncle GUGL -> it's an Ubuntu thing, certainly not in my man pages.  yikes

#1433 2021-08-01 15:55:39

DeepDayze

I have been running BL upgraded to Sid on my big Ryzen machine for a good while now...no problems so far with it smile

Real Men Use Linux

#1434 2021-08-02 05:09:34

hhh
Meep!
Website

So, true story. I was posting scrots on the Ubuntu forums back in the day (ten years ago? At least), my Ubuntu install was via Wubi (A brilliant program, it installed Ubuntu Feisty or so onto a Windows XP OS via a virtual manager, it was easy and seamless.)

Finally I installed Gibeon (?) onto a partition, I start PMing gutterslob (now glittersloth, he did a butterfly, molting thing) on the Ubuntu forums. I ask "I want to switch to Debian, what should I try?"

His response... "A little niche distro called CrunchBang that just switched from Ubuntu to Debian, or else aptosid, Debian unstable.

I went with aptosid, that was a good decision.

#1435 2021-08-02 08:26:15

el_koraco

hhh wrote:

gutterslob (now glittersloth, he did a butterfly, molting thing)

He butterflied the nick and avatar and went full corporate with his desktop.

#1436 2021-08-03 03:14:45

hhh
Meep!
Website

Said the man using GNOME.

#1437 2021-08-03 10:57:30

el_koraco

but I had always been a Red Hat $hill. there was some hope for old pre-molten sob.

#1438 2021-08-03 11:43:49

glittersloth
buena piñata

#1439 2021-08-04 02:18:26

hhh
Meep!
Website

^ Epic fail, it should have been the Repo Man Scene...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKIaS0lh-uo

#1440 2021-08-04 02:24:23

hhh
Meep!
Website

On Topic... have y'all heard about a new distro named bullseye? Supposedly it comes out tomorrow...

https://marketresearchtelecast.com/debi … et/114251/

#1441 2021-08-12 02:06:49

eight.bit.al

Void Linux

https://voidlinux.org/

Fastest distro I have used, by a good margin.
No benchmarks needed to tell, blazing fast. Boots in seconds.
This is going on the main machine as the daily driver.
Package manager (XBPS) is similar to pacman.
nonfree and mulitlib repositories.
runit as the init system and service supervisor.
Minimal packages installed, make it your own.

v0.th.png v1b.th.png

Dark theme and other personal taste changes:

v2.th.png v3.th.png

8bit

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2021-08-12 19:19:22)

If art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time.

#1442 2021-08-12 16:46:19

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

eight.bit.al wrote:

Void Linux

How much of a learning curve is there from Debian?

#1443 2021-08-12 17:32:59

PackRat
jgmenu user Numero Uno

Sector11 wrote:
eight.bit.al wrote:

Void Linux

For general use purposes, about a day or two to get used to the xbps commands for installing, updating etc .... The Rosetta Stone is kind of handy.

Void uses the usual software like NetworkManager; nothing really new to learn and the installer (ncurses based) is straight forward. Main runnit services are created during install; new services (i.e ssh server) are easily created with a symlink. They have a handbook. But it is brief, and a work in progress (about 15 devs on the project right now).

One downside, broadcom wireless drivers are in the nonfree repo which is not enabled during the install. You will typically need an ethernet connection to install, then enable the nonfree repo and install broadcom wireless.

Void is rolling release so the kernel and main packages are fairly recent; because of the small dev team it may take a while for a new version of gimp or gnome to show up because of all the dependencies. But it is not bleeding edge like Arch or Sid where thing go bork during the night. Void has a more rigid QA/QC.

Last edited by PackRat (2021-08-12 17:34:53)

You must unlearn what you have learned.
    -- yoda

#1444 2021-08-12 17:37:02

unklar
Back to the roots 1.9

eight.bit.al wrote:

Void Linux

https://voidlinux.org/

Fastest distro I have used, by a good margin.
No benchmarks needed to tell, blazing fast. Boots in seconds.
This is going on the main machine as the daily driver.
Package manager (XBPS) is similar to pacman.
nonfree and mulitlib repositories.
runit as the init system and service supervisor.
Minimal packages installed, make it your own.

https://scrot.cloud/images/2021/08/12/v0.th.png https://scrot.cloud/images/2021/08/12/v1.th.png

Dark theme and other personal taste changes:

https://scrot.cloud/images/2021/08/12/v2.th.png https://scrot.cloud/images/2021/08/12/v3.th.png

8bit

^^Thanks, @8bit

Speedtest = 985 mbps download = dreamlike result

Here, in the wonderland of Germany, I still have to struggle with 8 mbps download. roll
Exactly 8 years ago(!), the eternal Chancellor of the Germans made the remarkable statement during Obama's visit:
"The Internet is new territory for all of us, and it also enables enemies and opponents of our basic democratic order to threaten our way of life with entirely new possibilities and entirely new approaches."

Unfortunately, nothing has changed in the "new territory" until today..., well, in the fall she wants to step down.   big_smile

#1445 2021-08-12 19:58:58

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

@ PackRat

Thanks PackRat, interesting read.  Not that I'm going to try anytime soon, it was a question.

#1446 2021-08-13 00:04:58

DeepDayze

PackRat wrote:
Sector11 wrote:
eight.bit.al wrote:

Void Linux

For general use purposes, about a day or two to get used to the xbps commands for installing, updating etc .... The Rosetta Stone is kind of handy.

Void uses the usual software like NetworkManager; nothing really new to learn and the installer (ncurses based) is straight forward. Main runnit services are created during install; new services (i.e ssh server) are easily created with a symlink. They have a handbook. But it is brief, and a work in progress (about 15 devs on the project right now).

One downside, broadcom wireless drivers are in the nonfree repo which is not enabled during the install. You will typically need an ethernet connection to install, then enable the nonfree repo and install broadcom wireless.

Void is rolling release so the kernel and main packages are fairly recent; because of the small dev team it may take a while for a new version of gimp or gnome to show up because of all the dependencies. But it is not bleeding edge like Arch or Sid where thing go bork during the night. Void has a more rigid QA/QC.

Seems like an interesting distro so might give this one a try as well.

Real Men Use Linux

#1447 2021-08-13 00:46:32

PackRat
jgmenu user Numero Uno

DeepDayze wrote:

Check it out. I first tried Void a couple years ago when they were one of (if not the) first distro to switch to systemd only - no sysVinit shim or fallback. It was good, but the project was still really new so I went back to Sid/VSIDO. That lasted a year or so, then back to Void when they dropped systemd for runnit (one of the developers had an excellent blog entry for why they dropped systemd - and no, he did not flame systemd in the blog). Been running Void daily since (and ArchLabs on the old HP laptop). I now use their void-mklive script to roll my own installation iso.

-- yoda

#1448 2021-08-13 01:14:03

DeepDayze

PackRat wrote:
DeepDayze wrote:

Check it out. I first tried Void a couple years ago when they were one of (if not the) first distro to switch to systemd only - no sysVinit shim or fallback. It was good, but the project was still really new so I went back to Sid/VSIDO. That lasted a year or so, then back to Void when they dropped systemd for runnit (one of the developers had an excellent blog entry for why they dropped systemd - and no, he did not flame systemd in the blog). Been running Void daily since (and ArchLabs on the old HP laptop). I now use their void-mklive script to roll my own installation iso.

Interesting history to say the least. What does Runit have that's superior to systemd or even the old-school Sysvinit? Perhaps I'll find out when I take this for a spin.

As for Vsido, that was one cool distro and shame that VastOne ran into so many issues with installers and such.

Real Men Use Linux

#1449 2021-08-13 01:55:22

PackRat
jgmenu user Numero Uno

DeepDayze wrote:
PackRat wrote:
DeepDayze wrote:

Interesting history to say the least. What does Runit have that's superior to systemd or even the old-school Sysvinit? Perhaps I'll find out when I take this for a spin.

As for Vsido, that was one cool distro and shame that VastOne ran into so many issues with installers and such.

They liked the simplicity of administering runnit - it's feature complete and just works. There has been some comments in the dev circle about switching to s6-rc - which is now in the repos.

-- yoda

#1450 2021-08-13 02:30:53

lowrider

unklar wrote:

Speedtest = 985 mbps download = dreamlike result

Here, in the wonderland of Germany, I still have to struggle with 8 mbps download. roll
Exactly 8 years ago(!), the eternal Chancellor of the Germans made the remarkable statement during Obama's visit:
"The Internet is new territory for all of us, and it also enables enemies and opponents of our basic democratic order to threaten our way of life with entirely new possibilities and entirely new approaches."

Unfortunately, nothing has changed in the "new territory" until today..., well, in the fall she wants to step down.   big_smile

Speedtest = 815 mbps download
Hahaha, die "ewige Kanzlerin" und ihr legendäres Statement. Danke für die Erinnerung. Bei mir im Dorf kommt immer noch nicht mehr als ne 10tausender Leitung an...

Last edited by lowrider (2021-08-13 02:56:40)

Board footer