You are not logged in.

#76 2015-11-27 08:33:27

Snap

Re: Distro-hoppers anonymous

@ Temetka: have you tried SolydXK? It derived from LMDE for the KDE and XFCE desktops not offered by Mint. So kinda Mint on Debian. . I made my own re-spins with OpenBox or Fluxbox starting from SolydX and a Razor-Qt spin starting from SolydK. They have a iso builder tool for that. The community mantains isos based on testing too, if you want to roll.

#77 2015-11-28 10:52:55

Temetka

Snap wrote:

@ Temetka: have you tried SolydXK? It derived from LMDE for the KDE and XFCE desktops not offered by Mint. So kinda Mint on Debian. . I made my own re-spins with OpenBox or Fluxbox starting from SolydX and a Razor-Qt spin starting from SolydK. They have a iso builder tool for that. The community mantains isos based on testing too, if you want to roll.

Nope. Never heard of it.

I don't really distro hop anymore. Once I find a distro I tend to stick with it until either it dies or I find something better. If I have time though, I might setup a VM to check it out. Thanks for letting me know about it.

The meaning of life is to just be alive. It is so plain and so obvious
    and so simple. And yet everybody rushes aroound in a great panic
             as if it were necessary to achieve something beyond themselves.
                                                                                                             - Alan Watts

#78 2015-11-28 12:05:24

Temetka

I threw it in a VM and checked it out for about 30 minutes or so.

I really like that they offer to install a few extra apps after the install, along with a picture of the app and short description of it. That is very, very cool.

I do not miss KDE. I thought it would be cool to use again. I was wrong. OpenBox won me over.

Overall with my short time in it, it seems like a nice distro. I'll keep the VM laying around to tinker with I guess.

The meaning of life is to just be alive. It is so plain and so obvious
    and so simple. And yet everybody rushes aroound in a great panic
             as if it were necessary to achieve something beyond themselves.
                                                                                                             - Alan Watts

#79 2015-11-28 17:05:07

Panda

Temetka wrote:

I do not miss KDE.

Agreed. I know some people absolutely love KDE but I never even came close to catching that bug. It's just too.. (I don't know, it's Saturday). It's just too.. Too.  smile

“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today a gift...
That's why they call it the present"

― Master Oogway

#80 2015-11-28 17:08:06

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

I like KDE and I will use it for a period of time, but I always come back to Gnome Shell.

I like my Metal like my coffee.......Black!
Resident Metalhead Poser

#81 2015-11-28 18:49:19

eight.bit.al
Website

Panda wrote:

It's just too.. (I don't know, it's Saturday). It's just too.. Too.  smile

Too K. With so many programs starting with the letter K....

#82 2015-11-28 19:10:04

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

eight.bit.al wrote:
Panda wrote:

It's just too.. (I don't know, it's Saturday). It's just too.. Too.  smile

Yup, so true.

I like my Metal like my coffee.......Black!
Resident Metalhead Poser

#83 2015-11-28 20:21:28

nobody0
Disabled account

Here is another K..., http://kwort.org/

#84 2015-11-28 20:40:11

Panda

eight.bit.al wrote:

^That certainly is a contributing factor smile

― Master Oogway

#85 2015-12-02 03:05:54

hhh
Meep!
Website

I have been backporting the crap out of my jessie net-install, and it's lack of anything except security updates has meant zero problems (and a female dog ain't one, either).

/my distro-hopping

If I knew that I'd be paying attention to my computer at least twice a month, vacations allowed, till forever, I'd go with Arch. sid if I wanted to stay with Debian. At this point, all other distros are niche distros, BL included, IMO. I'm looking at you, Mint, Ubuntu, OpenSuse, Fedora, Slackware, Gentoo, BSD, etc...

#86 2015-12-02 03:13:00

hhh
Meep!
Website

Actually, not BL included. BL RC1 is currently the best Debian jessie Live ISO available, I dare you to argue that.

#87 2015-12-02 07:30:54

Snap

If I knew that I'd be paying attention to my computer at least twice a month, vacations allowed, till forever, I'd go with Arch. sid if I wanted to stay with Debian.

IMHO, you need some more than twice per month to roll without issues. Rolling needs more dedication than a jealous girlfriend.

#88 2015-12-02 09:36:09

nobody0
Disabled account

Installing Arch cannot be considered as distro hopping, maybe OS-hopping. I have installed Arch sometime ago. It has Openbox an dthe menu, themes etc are same as my Debian, Ubuntu setups. I was trying to install Gentoo sometime ago and later forgot about it. I have found Funtoo, an OS created by the original creator of Gentoo Daniel Robbins, so would be trying to install it.

#89 2015-12-02 10:05:46

apacus11

Just installed Manjaro Openbox on my netbook and I'm really impressed with the boot speed. Not really used to pacman package manager and other Arch stuff, but I'll try it a few days more.

#90 2015-12-03 14:15:15

hhh
Meep!
Website

ostrolek wrote:

Installing Arch cannot be considered as distro hopping, maybe OS-hopping.

Get a dictionary.

#91 2015-12-03 16:37:34

g33zr

Dictionary Results:
No matches could be found for "distro hopping".

"hopping" is spelled correctly (en_US).
Spell Checker Results:

Suggestions for "distro" (en_US):
bistro, district

What? Me worry?

Red pill or blue pill?

#92 2015-12-03 19:23:54

nobody0
Disabled account

hhh wrote:
ostrolek wrote:

Installing Arch cannot be considered as distro hopping, maybe OS-hopping.

Get a dictionary.

Do I, really?
Arch is an operating system (OS), Debian too is an OS, while BunsenLabs or Ubuntu is a distribution (distro). If Debian live (live.debian.net/) is alive, isos from that website are also distributions. You hop from one distro to another, you are distro hopping. If you install Arch, Debian, Gentoo, Funtoo, Crux etc you install an OS. So, if you hop from one OS to other, it can be called OS-hopping, even if there is no such known word. I suppose the hyphen has some meaning.

#93 2015-12-03 19:26:04

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

ostrolek wrote:

Arch is an operating system (OS), Debian too is an OS, while BunsenLabs or Ubuntu is a distribution (distro). If Debian live (live.debian.net/) is alive, isos from that website are also distributions. You hop from one distro to another, you are distro hopping. If you install Arch, Debian, Gentoo, Funtoo, Crux etc you install an OS. So, if you hop from one OS to other, it can be called OS-hopping, even if there is no such known word. I suppose the hyphen has some meaning.

This is incorrect.

Arch, Debian, Gentoo, Funtoo and CRUX are all distributions.

The operating system is GNU/Linux.

EDIT: References: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_distribution & https://www.gnu.org/distros/distros.en.html

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2015-12-03 19:27:54)

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#94 2015-12-03 20:45:49

nobody0
Disabled account

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
ostrolek wrote:

This is incorrect.

Arch, Debian, Gentoo, Funtoo and CRUX are all distributions.

The operating system is GNU/Linux.

EDIT: References: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_distribution & https://www.gnu.org/distros/distros.en.html

OK, then go install Gentoo/Funtoo and let me know, whether it is a distribution.
Or install so-called GNU/Linux, see if you can install it.
Wikipedia is NOT a dictionary.
I've been told few times to get a dictionary, and I'm getting ...tired of it.

Your link to GNU/Linux doesn't show a GNU/Linux OS, does it?

Last edited by nobody0 (2015-12-03 20:57:45)

#95 2015-12-03 20:53:50

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

ostrolek wrote:

OK, then go install Gentoo/Funtoo and let me know, whether it is a distribution.

I have installed Gentoo a few times -- it seemed to fit all the generally accepted definitions of "GNU/Linux distribution" to me.

ostrolek wrote:

install so-called GNU/Linux, see if you can install it

I have installed Linux From Scratch -- does that count?

EDIT: On topic: I am really enjoying OpenBSD at the moment, it's my only system and I am wanting for nothing in terms of functionality.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2015-12-03 20:56:15)

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#96 2015-12-03 21:25:09

nobody0
Disabled account

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
ostrolek wrote:

I have installed Gentoo a few times -- it seemed to fit all the generally accepted definitions of "GNU/Linux distribution" to me.

ostrolek wrote:

install so-called GNU/Linux, see if you can install it

I have installed Linux From Scratch -- does that count?

EDIT: On topic: I am really enjoying OpenBSD at the moment, it's my only system and I am wanting for nothing in terms of functionality.

Installing Linux OS from the book counts.
Installing Gentoo counts too. Once installed, you have an operating system, which is ready to take in any applications you won't to use. And, without having apps to use, that OS is simply useless. If you make a copy of the OS+apps and give it to someone to use, it becomes a ditribution. If it stays in your computer and stays put, even with thousands of apps, it is still an OS+apps. The apps won't work without an OS, and an OS without apps is just junk. (There are so many meanings for junk.)

I just mentioned that I'm trying to install Funtoo, and that might be considered as OS-hopping--hyphen has a meaning in English--and I wasn't trying to teach English, but writing something in an off topic thread.

There are few distributions, I don't mention here, because someone might get irritated.

#97 2015-12-03 22:34:08

Panda

^ Hahahaha!  lol

The two of you spend more time talking past one another than a 100 year old couple.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedu … c-20012741

― Master Oogway

#98 2015-12-04 00:10:27

pingu

I read Gentoo and decided to jump right into the discussion.
I just want to say that in my opinion, gentoo is a distro. Even though the user does much more configuring (endless lists of use flags) on its side than in the normal distro,  those choices are usually made by the maintainers in a binary distro (somebody has to chose something at some point). So if when a debian dev decides if he/she is going to compile sudo with insults he's mainting a distro, why wouldn't gentoo be a distro when I chose to compile sudo with insults? So what's the differnce? I tend to find the difference between OS and Distro still hard to define/understand though...

Last edited by pingu (2015-12-04 00:12:03)

"Chuck Norris can compile syntax errors."

#99 2015-12-04 01:53:27

g33zr

Before we get further distracted by semantics, we might want to take a look at what Richard Stallman writes: See GNU/Linux.

The Linux OS is basically the kernel; everything based on the kernel is a distribution thereof. Linus Torvalds once said that it might be better to describe distributions in conjuction with the source, for example, Arch Linux, Debian Linux, Red Hat Linux, etc.  glasses

What? Me worry?

Red pill or blue pill?

#100 2015-12-04 09:59:33

Snap

I am really enjoying OpenBSD at the moment, it's my only system and I am wanting for nothing in terms of functionality.

Really tempted for a while. I should give it a go soon.

Board footer