You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-01 18:06:23

laanan

Anyone know of open source AI dictation projects (SOLVED)?

Hi folks,

I thought I might find some knowledgeable people here who can point me in the right direction. I take a lot of notes, and I am looking to see if there are any AI supported/based dictation projects out there that are open source. There are several in the very not open source realm, and I have even demoed one, but these are companies that generally want to lock you in for a year contract, and which will not tweak their program to your specifications. Looking to get involved in something that is perhaps in development and open source. To clarify, I'm talking about apps that listen to you speaking and then generate a note that gets dumped (ideally) directly into an electronic medical record. Suki and Deepscribe are examples. Thanks!

Last edited by laanan (2020-02-09 20:34:45)

#2 2020-02-02 12:22:26

clusterF

Re: Anyone know of open source AI dictation projects (SOLVED)?

To clarify, I'm talking about apps that listen to you speaking and then generate a note that gets dumped (ideally) directly into an electronic medical record.

For the uneducated, how is this useful?

#3 2020-02-02 12:47:33

glittersloth
...straight talkin'

clusterF wrote:

For the uneducated, how is this useful?

I'm probably less educated than you are on this topic, but a simple (layman) equivalent would be something like those "natural language" calendar/scheduling or task apps we see a lot of in the mobile arena. Eg: If I was a pompous noble living in England and said "Pick up Liz at the airport next Tuesday at 5 in the evening" the app would compute that, determine when "next Tuesday" is on my calendar, search my contacts and determine the closest airport and apply a header saying "Pick up The Queen" on said date which I could tap on to get directions to Heathrow airport, and maybe even access weather forecasts and traffic on the day to tell me the best time to leave and which road to take.

So in medical record terms, I'd assume the application would require access to a database of medication, a database of clients/patients in said establishment, database of the consultation rooms, wards, etc in said establishment, and possibly even access to to some sort of MIMS (monthly index of medical specialities) equivalent resource as well. For an equivalent of Deepscribe, I'd assume the application would also need some machine learning capability to provide it's own diagnosis based on records and test results.

Last edited by glittersloth (2020-02-02 12:55:49)

#4 2020-02-02 13:17:26

clusterF

^ possibly doing away with medical reception on a human level? Like an automated scheduler for medical appointments, thus making Karen on the front desk of the local practice obsolete.

Last edited by clusterF (2020-02-02 13:22:32)

#5 2020-02-02 15:55:36

damo
....moderator....

clusterF wrote:

^ possibly doing away with medical reception on a human level? Like an automated scheduler for medical appointments, thus making Karen on the front desk of the local practice obsolete.

Just as well. Karen is a condescending PITA, who loves making me jump through hoops to get an appointment.

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#6 2020-02-03 12:26:28

clusterF

damo wrote:
clusterF wrote:

Just as well. Karen is a condescending PITA, who loves making me jump through hoops to get an appointment.

Just wait until Hal9000-MD becomes fully self aware, you will be booked in unaware for a lobotomy instead of cholesterol checkup  neutral

#7 2020-02-04 07:18:20

ohnonot
...again
Website

laanan wrote:

I take a lot of notes, and I am looking to see if there are any AI supported/based dictation projects out there that are open source. There are several in the very not open source realm, and I have even demoed one, but these are companies that generally want to lock you in for a year contract, and which will not tweak their program to your specifications. Looking to get involved in something that is perhaps in development and open source. To clarify, I'm talking about apps that listen to you speaking and then generate a note that gets dumped (ideally) directly into an electronic medical record. Suki and Deepscribe are examples. Thanks!

I see that this has two parts:

1. speech-to-text synthesis or however that's called (not AI for sure)

2. entering text into medical records

Combining 1. with 2. is fairly trivial on any GNU/Linux machine.

I cannot say anything about 2., but 1. has been around in Linux for quite some time; I distinctly remember a video about a guy coding that way. The thing was (is) python-based.

#8 2020-02-04 09:16:56

rbh

Philips have wery good hardware fort dictation/transcribing. There is now drivers for at lest the dictation:
https://healthcare-in-europe.com/en/news/first-pc-dictation-products-available-for-linux-operating-system.html#
some links at Philips

There was a (linux) EU-project for speech to text, that was closed down a coupe of yeras ago. I dont know what became of all their debian code.
Look in https://www.mllp.upv.es/projects/translectures/

// Regards rbh

#9 2020-02-05 22:46:00

laanan

Whoops, I was not getting emails to let me know that there was activity on this thread!

Basically, I am a dentist who takes very thorough notes, especially for new patient exams. I have given up on human assistants, who can barely form a cogent sentence, let alone get down all the things I talk to the patient about at the end of the exam.

I have tried everything from stenography software (to help me type faster) to "AI supported" dictation software. Suki was the one that I demoed for a month. It is very expensive, and still not great, and it does not directly integrate into my EHR software. I'm looking for something open source that I might be able to tweak to better suit my needs. Any ideas?

Best,

Matt

#10 2020-02-06 11:15:38

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

@laanan, I don't know if you actually tried to search the web, but in case you haven't:

Top 10 Best Open Source Speech Recognition Tools for Linux
5 Good Open Source Speech Recognition/Speech-to-Text Systems
Note that some of these are more, and some less complete solution, comparing to what you need.

I have had a limited experience with CMUSphinx for some simple project (playing terminal game 'snake' on RPi, by shouting 'left', 'right' ... big_smile ), and I have had a (comparatively) lot of trouble to train its AI to understand what I'm saying. But, then, English is not my mother language, and my pronunciation is worse than terrible.

Keep in mind that speech recognition requires quite a lot CPU power.

Also, CMUSphinx could use external speech-recognition, like Google. (Probably, other software, too.) Keep in mind that it requires constant network connection, probably cost money for prolonged use, and of course, forget about privacy.

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..

#11 2020-02-09 19:55:32

laanan

Thanks for all the tips. Yes I searched Google and Sourceforge, with no luck, but I was focusing more on "dictation" than "speech recognition."

Anyway, I'm trying out the Philips speech recognition software/transcription service this month to see if it ameliorates my pain!

Board footer