You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-10 12:21:56

clusterF

The good and bad purchases (computer/hardware related).

Idea for a thread ?

Somewhere to post up your good and bad purchases, laptop, desktop, accessory related.

Did some thrift store shopping and came across this laptop stand for $1, works really well and has my hands at a better angle typing.

https://www.amazon.com.au/GPG2-Universa … B00EF7YCTY

I have enough room under the laptop now for some sort of fan to keep it cooler.

Classify this one as a good purchase!

Last edited by clusterF (2019-12-10 14:30:19)

#2 2019-12-10 14:24:34

glittersloth
...straight talkin'

Re: The good and bad purchases (computer/hardware related).

Hmm, can I use this thread to tell people what NOT to buy? Based on my own experience, of course.

Okay, if you've ever done a web search for a USB Type-A/C dual thumbdrive, the majority of "best of" lists will probably have this Sandisk model listed. Don't buy it!

Why? If you've got a laptop or other device with USB-A ports that are a tad tight, the Sandisk simply won't work. Once you pass a certain level of force (not much, really) that locking slider mechanism will give and the plug will simply be forced back into the chassis. 

For an alternative, get this one by Kingston instead. Doesn't have a weak-ass sliding mechanism, and is also smaller so you won't have the drive jutting out too much - safer when you've moving your laptop/tablet around the house/office with the thumb drive attached. Transfer speeds are similar.

Did I pass, clusterF?

#3 2019-12-10 14:27:45

clusterF

^ yes of course, changing title to "the good and bad".

Some thumbdrive designs are just plain fail. Ive got a few that i thought would be good and regret buying.

Last edited by clusterF (2019-12-10 14:34:29)

#4 2019-12-10 21:22:09

ohnonot
...again
Website

My best purchase in terms of price/value probably still is my 10€ laptop kitchenserver. Actually the asking price was 10€ (almost 5 years ago) but I gave 20.

Another good purchase: A new Nokia 130 dumbphone for 30€. Recommended, if you're inclined to go that route.

And a Steelseries Rival 110 "Gaming" mouse. 30€ IIRC. I'm not gaming, but it's a great mouse. Does what I want, on any surface.

#5 2019-12-12 02:04:22

C#Coder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll

A good purchase I made lately on black friday is a NAS, specifically this one, and two of these 6TB hard drives to go with it.

A purchase that I slightly regret making back in august was this laptop for school. Mainly the 8GB of RAM is actually 6GB (the CPU is to blame here), but for note-taking, coding, some light gaming, works fine.

But buying that laptop also helped me buy a good purchase after a month, a Logitech G502 that I only had to pay $5 for... speaking of mice.

Here's hoping the laptop will last me an entire year,  because I don't want to have to buy another laptop for just one more semester before graduation..

Peripheral, SBC, and router addict lmao
Keeb & SSD Discussions | GitLab

#6 2019-12-12 16:37:25

mynis

A few years back, I bought an ASUS Rampage IV black edition motherboard. It's supposed to be a rather high end motherboard, as it retailed for about $400-500 when it first released. What I found was that, there is a pci-->pcie bridge on the board that depends on a Windows driver to perform error correction, and as a result the system will just panic randomly if you have USB 3.0 ports enabled while running UNIX or Linux. Since the hardware manufacturer doesn't provide specs to the kernel devs, this issue will basically go unfixed for eternity. I've essentially just been using Windows 10 with VMs for the last few years or so as a result. I'm due for an upgrade in a year or two I think, so I'm probably going to go with an MSI board next time since I've heard their Linux QA is much more thorough, but we'll see if that's actually the case when the time comes.

#7 2019-12-12 17:06:31

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Website

Still inloved in this loud keyboard (just under 50 eur), one of those compulsory purchases.
redragon.png
Lights are set to blue.

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2019-12-12 19:02:38)

#8 2019-12-12 20:38:26

ohnonot
...again
Website

^ looks a bit like mine (another cheapo mechanical) - but how I wish I could saw off the Num pad.

Board footer