You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-26 21:32:04

no

Old #! user

Hey y'all!

I was a #! user way back when, Linux user since Redhat 9.
I kinda fell off of using personal machines while going to school for a trade and working
for the university remotely using job-required M$ specific applications (all of my linux machines were ancient, VMs were sorta out of the question).

Found an old laptop a few months ago, realized I needed something with #! footprint as I couldn't figure out the Broadcom wireless issues with enough clarity to use AL without an ethernet cable, only to find it had been discontinued, and it seemed like the majority of the remaining #! community came this way, so this way came I.

Fast-forward to last week, when a very old friend from the Redhat days reconnected with me and flew out here to visit for the first time in 15 years. Where our paths diverged: I went traveling the country and living rather adventurously (if not poorly and probably fairly dangerously) while he applied all of our nerdy teenage Linuxing to IT and programming and grabbing a CS degree. He's well off now, and has kind of used his knowledge and skillset to motivate friends of ours' to learn programming and networking if they seem so inclined as a way to pull themselves up out of dead-end job/life situations, and with some degree of success.

After a lot of catching up, driving around, tour-guiding and the like, he worked his "become a programmer and make more money" spiel on me, so off to the local Linux/Computer recycling local non-profit we went. What? Y'all don't have one of those?  tongue Check it out: FreeGeek.org

We grabbed a refurbed ThinkPad 530 from FreeGeek's store-front with an old 128G SSD stuffed inside, crammed 8Gb of DDR3 in, and holed up in his hotel room to try to force AL on the aforementioned ancient laptop I was struggling with. FreeGeek back when I volunteered with them 10 years ago used Ubuntu on all the machines they sold or gave away, but migrated to Mint six years back, which given the amount of time I've spent with OB and in Cli, was never going to satisfy me. BL was a forgone conclusion.

So here I am! After getting everything configured to near where I want it on BL, I'm spending my free time studying Python and GIT, and the refresher in pure Cli that multiple failed installs of AL gave me got me right back in the action.

I'm an A+ grade lurker, so I never spent much time commenting or posting on the old #! forums, but I'm so happy that the #! philosophy and community has continued on. I spent a ton of time distro hopping, and it turns out our niche OS is still just right for me.

tl;dr I'm back in the saddle and it feels great, thanks for still keeping on.

Last edited by no (2019-11-26 22:04:23)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#2 2019-11-26 22:28:59

damo
....moderator....

Re: Old #! user

What a great intro!

Great that you are back - you may have noticed that many of the old Crunchgang are still here, and some of us have built BL from the ashes of #!

How about becoming a B- grade Lurker? smile

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3 2019-11-27 02:25:52

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Welcome back no!
Is that the name you used on #! too?

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog, idle Twitterings and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#4 2019-11-27 13:38:19

eight.bit.al

You might like this website: https://isitchristmas.com/

8bit

A mind is a terrible thing not to change.
The problem lies not with new ideas, but in escaping the old ones.

#5 2019-12-01 00:06:52

DeepDayze

eight.bit.al wrote:

8bit

Bahahahaha, that must be where the OP got his username  devil

Welcome to BL, Dr. No. (just had to say it!)..great to have you with us and BL has come a long way and still is sticking as close to the #! values as possible while being a modern lightweight distro.

Nice you took the time to share your background with us and looking forward to your posts smile

Last edited by DeepDayze (2019-12-01 00:09:05)

Real Men Use Linux

#6 Yesterday 20:35:34

no

OMG so sorry, I got very busy with the holidays and visitors and starting work again! My apologies for the late response, truly.

damo wrote:

How about becoming a B- grade Lurker? smile

I'm already off to a horrible start, but I am trying, I promise!

johnraff wrote:

Is that the name you used on #! too?

I actually went by sömn, Swedish for 'sleep'. I am a huge fan of both sleep, and Scandinavia having traveled with, hosted, and even dated a Swede. I have a few topic reply notifications form the old board indexed in my inbox, but as to what was said I can't recall. I don't remember being very much of a poster back then.

eight.bit.al wrote:

NO!
but seriously, I'll like it until it says 'yes', and then I'll like it even more when it says no again.

DeepDayze wrote:

Nice you took the time to share your background with us and looking forward to your posts

Thanks! I'm not a guru or poweruser, just an everyday linux user for nearly two decades now.
Hopefully I'll be able to share some knowledge or insight that may be helpful to someone.

Thank-you all for the warm welcome. I truly am excited to be back in this operating environment. I don't want to turn into some old long-bearded distro warrior, but I do find BL to be my most comfortable operating space. Something about excess once you've done without it just doesn't feel right.

Happy Holidays impending for those who like them, bah humbug to the rest!

Last edited by no (Yesterday 20:37:14)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#7 Yesterday 20:41:50

damo
....moderator....

I don't want to turn into some old long-bearded distro warrior

We may not all be "warriors", but we hang out here: The Over-the-Hill-BunsenGang Thread. Where we all seem to have nodded off recently hmm

#8 Yesterday 22:49:08

no

We may not all be "warriors", but we hang out here: The Over-the-Hill-BunsenGang Thread. Where we all seem to have nodded off recently hmm

Well, I can't abide by rules #1 or #2 for another 25 years, and for now the beard is relatively short. All I can offer is that at the very least, the chin part of my beard is going shock white. I'll catch up with you old-timers one day! For now, I'll try to stay off your lawns.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#9 Yesterday 23:59:34

damo
....moderator....

no wrote:

... For now, I'll try to stay off your lawns.

I don't care about the lawn, but keep away from my comfy armchair by the fire. And ask before you take one of my cookies tongue

Board footer