You are not logged in.

#3076 2019-11-16 05:56:21

cog
brushpopper
Website

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

^ lol too much Ice Kachang?

It is another beautiful day at the Red Pony Saloon and continual soiree.  - Henry Standing Bear

#3077 2019-11-16 06:15:02

johnraff
nullglob
Website

glittersloth wrote:

There'll come a time I no longer get any modern pop-culture/film references.

I'm there already. Just let it pass over, like a bit of obscure Japanese.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog, idle Twitterings and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#3078 2019-11-16 14:49:02

glittersloth
...always giving it to you straight

#3079 2019-11-17 04:29:18

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^ Oh dear...
Startpage is my default atm. Time to switch, again, this time to Qwant or DDG...???

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog, idle Twitterings and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#3080 2019-11-17 14:34:53

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

More babble ... YAY !!!! tongue

Recently put up the stupe poweroff/reboot like pro thing in how-to's. Well used to do that, had it set to something like Alt +(F12 poweroff, F11 reboot, F10 suspend.) Thinking about setting up that way again too. Though one thing I'd noticed, sometimes while being absent minded would want to shutdown and instead would reboot or vice versa. No real problem just annoying. Cure occurs to me at present, Set poweroff to Ctrl + F12 and then Alt + (F11 reboot, F10 suspend.) At the time think I went with just leaving a buffer key, would skip using F11 and use F10-9 for reboot/suspend. I never hibernate so don't care.

For now am using terminal commands with aliases to do this which works well but I could get rid of one of the steps involved and the typing of the command(s) by just doing this junk with a keybind. Really is more convenient, plus let's face it, it's fricken cool to be able to poweroff/reboot or suspend ya pc by pushing a key-combo. smile

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2019-11-17 14:36:15)

#3081 2019-11-17 15:06:20

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

TL:DR + it's kinda weird, so yeah don't read this. smile

Misc nixers of the world stand up and be counted ( and/or UNITE !!!) tongue

Have babbled about such here and there, such as the all hades which breaks loose about data collection or user performance metrics/data from the userbase. Any such efforts by anyone are almost inevitably met with wide-spread outcry from nixers, they scream about invasions of their privacy and any other manner of Corp, govt ... alien conspiracies aimed at forever taking away all their freedoms + rights and just how dang evil it most certainly is. Nevermind that such data can be invaluable to the devs, a distro-dev/maintainer(s) etc so forth in finding issues and improving the overall quality or features of the software n tech all these people decrying such invasion use every day. What am really babbling about is even establishing the number of gnu/Linux users in the world at any given time can be uber-problematic.

Side-note: Though a crafty person can still do so many ways regardless. Despite many the nixers fanatical devotion to security/privacy etc. Have also mentioned many such seem very much clueless as to how the real world works and what they're up against. The best of the best at Google Inc, whichever other Corp or Govt, scoff at many people's pathetic efforts at evasion anyway. Sheesh look it up folks, sometimes the more steps someone is taking, the more unique their system's profile and print becomes. Thus the easier they frickin are to identify and track online. Ironic considering that user no doubt thinks they got it all in the bag. Those dirty so and so's aint gonna watch me ! People who actually know what they're doing can out compute you/me in their sleep. It's like stepping on a basketball court with Michael Jordan thinking anything other than you getting 1900 kinda your arse kicked is going to happen.

Ending score 7,200 pts MJ
You: Hey dude, I almost kept that ball for a 10 whole secs, that one time. Errrrrr, yeah good job champ. big_smile

What I'm on about here, is yes, we should stand up and be counted, regardless of which distro(regardless of which base.) Because it's in all our best interests, even if it's just anonymous though credible means of showing people how many nixers total there are in the world. Still see oh, it's like 2%, well hardware manufacturers see that and go, ah why make more work for ourselves, let's focus on the 98%, forget those nixers, the people who develop other software and games and etc. Yep they probably look at it the same way, though appears to be slowly changing. If there is/were an accurate count, they might see things differently, might start doing more to support gnu/Linux. Seen stats putting Ubuntu's number in the 10's of millions(supposedly like 20mil), Linux Mint's in the million too(est 7mil) at the time, though without a truly credible source of this type of information, very few know, thus have less reason to care or invest effort.

Xyz party (hardware oem, software app dev, gaming company) Looks, ah ... still not very many of em, forget em, focus on Window$, as always. Looks again one yr later, hmmmm chit, friggers are growing ain't they, credible stats say there's 83mil of em now, hmmmm.

Well do the math if someone could interest any percentage of that kind of number to buy/use something, even if it's to the tune of $10-20 bucks. THAT'S A LOT OF MONEY. People may start taking an interest in gnu/Linux users eh ?

#3082 2019-11-17 15:37:53

glittersloth

^ Did hhh's gluten mule take another wrong turn and end up at your place this time? You've been rapping babbling extra hard today.

RE: Standing up to be counted
No thanks. Standing up takes effort. Plus, why would I stand up for something as lame as a computer operating system?!

RE: Actually getting counted
Mean diddly-jack anyways. It's like that "work hard and you'll be rewarded" or "practice instills discipline" propaganda. Everyone knows it just ensures an endless supply of aimlessly hardworking and pointlessly disciplined dumbfucks for the ruling elites to continue exploiting. Your presence means nothing, peasant!!

RE: Getting an accurate count of *nix users
Just get the MX Linux crew to spread more of their bots around. Problem solved.

RE: Getting in the court with Michael Jordan
I heard that most of the kids practice shooting from the three-point line these days (probably thanks to Steph Curry) and MJ was crap at threes, so you'd actually have half a chance if your feet were quick enough and your shooting good enough. Just make sure not to wear those Nike OTA updating shoes.

Last edited by glittersloth (2019-11-17 15:39:17)

#3083 2019-11-17 15:46:35

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

^LMFAO Slob-san !!! big_smile

Damn, much truth in what you typed too. However often enough truth and idealism don't mix. Sometimes found people can accomplish amazing crap and a key part of it was they never stopped to realize how crazy and dang near impossible it was or they'd have face planted or never even bothered trying. Lol ... tongue

#3084 2019-11-17 18:26:26

ohnonot
...again
Website

johnraff wrote:

^ Oh dear...
Startpage is my default atm. Time to switch, again, this time to Qwant or DDG...???

Back to DDG so far, but I'm open to suggestions.
Haven't been able to get various searx instances to work to my satisfaction.

#3085 2019-11-17 18:58:32

Sector11
The Tpyo Knig Mod

Geeeze ... testing Qwant

BunsenLabs Forum Rules ---== I'm a Conky 1.9'er ==---
System:    Host: d67 Kernel: 4.9.0-9-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 6.3.0)
Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)

#3086 2019-11-17 20:00:47

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Any experiences with these fellow nixers ? Are multiboot things, had good experiences with Sardu in the past but hadn't used it in a long time and it's being problematic to work with at the moment. Do have a babble tute about this up and need to track it down soon. Though if there's a better util to do it, already ready to go makes sense to try them instead.

Also funny dorktoid, grub2 has long been able to boot and apparently install from on disk(hdd) iso's. Think back to all the hrs I dumped into shrinking the dang #! iso down. sad Btw: Also had a thread which worked about that topic somewhere here too. It stopped working for some odd reason and never bothered figuring it out guessing most likely a problem with the grub.cfg entries I was using with it though. It's frickin cool to know you can try and/or very likely even install a gnu/Nix OS, without even having to burn a disc/usb !!!

All hail gnu/Linux !!! Hail ! Hail ! Hail !!!!!! big_smile

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2019-11-17 20:02:08)

#3087 2019-11-17 21:27:41

Martin
Website

Sector11 wrote:

Geeeze ... testing Qwant

Same here, so far so good.

/Martin

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

#3088 2019-11-18 03:10:28

cog
brushpopper
Website

Have any of y’all watched Star Wars Mandalorian?  I’m really liking it.  Star Wars eps 1-6 references in a gunslinger cowboy western format, so good.  I haven’t really liked episodes 7 & 8 but have really enjoyed the side stories like Rogue One and Solo.

It is another beautiful day at the Red Pony Saloon and continual soiree.  - Henry Standing Bear

#3089 2019-11-18 15:36:23

earlybird
ほやほや
Website

cog wrote:

Have any of y’all watched Star Wars Mandalorian?  I’m really liking it.  Star Wars eps 1-6 references in a gunslinger cowboy western format, so good.  I haven’t really liked episodes 7 & 8 but have really enjoyed the side stories like Rogue One and Solo.

Budget: $120 million

They bring out the heavy artillery don't they.

#3090 2019-11-18 16:01:00

ohnonot
...again
Website

Martin wrote:
Sector11 wrote:

Geeeze ... testing Qwant

Same here, so far so good.

/Martin

Isn't Quant even worse than Startpage?

#3091 2019-11-18 16:10:17

Sector11
The Tpyo Knig Mod

Qwant is horrible I dumped it inside of 10 minutes!

copied a very recent backup of /media/sector11/disk/S11-Nov/.mozilla back over to ~/.mozilla

YUK!  What a slimy experience that was ...

BunsenLabs Forum Rules ---== I'm a Conky 1.9'er ==---
System:    Host: d67 Kernel: 4.9.0-9-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 6.3.0)
Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)

#3092 2019-11-19 06:16:29

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Due to another thread, prompted me to install google Chrome browser and ... ? It was friggin horrible, absolutely no way I'd use that thing. Opened 8 tabs, (normal random websites) was already using over 1.1gb-ram. The poor dual core cpu(s) on this old thing @2.17ghz were getting eaten alive, load avg hit 4.00. Briefly locked the browser up, while it was trying to load those simple webpgs. Apparently as absolutely quickly as it possibly could, even if the way it went about it was trying to melt my cpu(s.) Not faster than my tweaked FF either. Horrid, terrible ... never launching the thing again and will remove the thing soon enough. Mentioned I'd setup a clone of a 64bit Buster with wicd-gtk rysnc'ed to a 10gb partition on the front of the old hdd. Based on just what I'd seen in this tiny window of time, NOPE, not just no but HELL NO !!! big_smile

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2019-11-19 06:18:27)

#3093 2019-11-19 06:16:44

ohnonot
...again
Website

^ What I meant is:
If you need to drop Startpage because it's been "partially taken over" by an advertising company, Qwant hardly seems a better alternative.
Look under "Company" (Germans know that Axel Springer cannot be good news) and "Criticism".

edit: apparently privacytools.io don't see it that way sad

At least it's European, I guess...

Last edited by ohnonot (2019-11-19 06:19:33)

#3094 2019-11-19 06:51:40

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

More anal-ness, one of the goals in trying it was to see if it somehow taps swap, regardless of what swappiness is set at. I'd heard scuttlebutt from some random nixer while researching the topic. I didn't notice and am done playing with it. For real, it's getting purged ASAP. If need to do web-dev will use something like browser shots or whatever, rather than run that crappy thing on an actual install. Also note that with wicd-gtk running, that 64bit Buster install @ boot idles at like 180mbs, so I'd have to deduct that from the 1.1gbs+ram it was using, though again, not even going to play with the thing anymore.

Whereas FF 70 on a 32bit Stretch install I had 52 random websites and 1 youtube tab with a movie paused on it and was using 1.4gbs and a tiny fraction of the cpu(s.)How or why such a horrid browser(Chrome)could have almost a 70% browser share on desktop, I can't fathom. Next time I boot that OS, Chrome is gone and my plan for it is to start dorking around with some of the heavier DE's on that install, just to play with them. Cinnamon, MATE, Xfce, lxde, probably enlightenment and maybe even try out Kde on it. This old lappy has enough memory and processing power so why not ? Chrome = NOT HAPPENING, not on any of my OS's. Assume Chromium acts very much similar and as things stand, not even going to bother checking them.

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2019-11-19 06:56:05)

#3095 2019-11-19 11:29:52

glittersloth

cog wrote:

Saw it featured on the iOS App Store front page (heck, Disney+ is being featured almost every day for a week now, wonder how much they paid for that exposure), but it's a streaming exclusive afaik, and I have no intention of giving Disney any money right now. Btw, what timeline is it on; Boba or Jango?

ohnonot wrote:

^ What I meant is:
If you need to drop Startpage because it's been "partially taken over" by an advertising company, Qwant hardly seems a better alternative.
Look under "Company" (Germans know that Axel Springer cannot be good news) and "Criticism".

edit: apparently privacytools.io don't see it that way sad

At least it's European, I guess...

Worth noting that privacytools.io is by no means the be-all_end-all resource out there. From what I've heard, it originated from a Reddit or Hacker News thread, and we all know these places can be a bit too hive-minded for their own good some(most?)times. Best to gather your info from as many data points as possible and form your own opinion.

Thanks for the additional info on Qwant. I never used it, so wouldn't have known about the origins and ownership if not for your linkage.

As for Startpage alternatives; I'm back on DDG exclusively (yes yes, I know it's US-based and runs on Amazon AWS) for now. I've seen Gibiru.com, Swisscows.ch and Ecosia.org mentioned quite often, but don't know enough to form any sort of opinion on them. Also some other alternatives shared in the comments section of that restoreprivacy link I posted earlier.

I wager that, if you're willing to look hard enough, any half-usable search engine will eventually leave a trail leading to an analytics tracker, payment processor or venture capitalist of some sort. Viva la Capitalismo!!

Last edited by glittersloth (2019-11-19 11:54:09)

#3096 2019-11-19 11:55:20

damo
....moderator....

I use Ecosia as a rule - mainly because I am planting trees with it!

It's privacy is reasonable, although the use of Bing as a backend isn't to my taste - https://info.ecosia.org/privacy

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3097 2019-11-19 12:24:45

clusterF

damo wrote:

I use Ecosia as a rule - mainly because I am planting trees with it!

It's privacy is reasonable, although the use of Bing as a backend isn't to my taste - https://info.ecosia.org/privacy

Good cause, shame about the bing backend though and wonder if the gatesfoundation.org is involved in some way shape or form?

Interesting video on ecosia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1AVgbI_1r0

"Common sense is like deodorant, those who need it the most never use it."

git: clusterF

#3098 2019-11-19 23:04:57

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Just to be fair kind of thing/post:

Also never really bothered learning about Chrome/ium. So am certain there are tweaks for it too. Things to help get the memory madness under control, could track-down it's equivalent of the FF Noscript add-on. So at the moment am poking at the topic, have a bunch of webpgs up about it. Really still don't so much even want to bother but may come a time when I do need the thing natively installed and running so may as well at least find out what's possible to get it under control.

Not sure what FF left as is, out-of-box does. Been forever since dorking with Opera too but vaguely remember all of these browsers having gone crazy with how much system overhead they tend to use. Yep .. for Chrome noticed it has 8 threads running too. Same as FF now and am certain I've griped about it in these forums. Eight content processes(e10's)on a dual core system to me flat out just doesn't make any sense. Same time I've longed noted Mozilla's tendency to be really conservative and less aggressive in their out-of-box settings choices, leaving things up to the end-users to adjust as preferred. Oh well ... will adjust it's settings to be to my particular tastes anyway. Never had the same satisfying results(shown enough interest)with tweaking any of the other web browsers, shrugs.

Vll! smile

#3099 2019-11-20 20:04:55

twoion
ほやほや

The 4th cable for my Sennheiser eh350 (bought in early 2011) broke today. Been thinking about getting a great new pair of cans for a long time, spent hours reading (not listening, of course!) random people's reviews and comments on 10-20 different models in the price class (something I do every 2 months or so when I finally get the yearnings again) and now I just ordered the 5th $10 replacement cable for my $40 pair of cans with worn-down cushions (due for a replacement sinc ~5 years, though at this point I don't think I'll ever get used to proper cushions again) and postponed the decision about the new cans another couple of weeks. Maybe I'll reward myself for Christmas.

Are 9 years a good lifetime for modern headphones, I wonder. My father has a pair from the 1970s and they still work flawlessly today. The build quality is the day to today's night, too.

At the end of the river the sundown beams

#3100 2019-11-20 22:54:51

cog
brushpopper
Website

glittersloth wrote:

Saw it featured on the iOS App Store front page (heck, Disney+ is being featured almost every day for a week now, wonder how much they paid for that exposure), but it's a streaming exclusive afaik, and I have no intention of giving Disney any money right now. Btw, what timeline is it on; Boba or Jango?

It’s set a few years after return of the Jedi.  It has some of the bounty hunters from empire strikes back when Vader’s talkin to them.

Oh and Disney+ apps on both Roku and iOS have been extremely buggy so far.

Last edited by cog (2019-11-20 22:59:53)

Board footer