-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 102408 Mar 14  2016 /bin/gzip

12 Nov 19 @ 18:51:57 ~
   $ 

It's BLizgreat!'s fault ...

... yea that sounds good   smile

Or I didn't install it.

EDIT ¿ for '

EDIT2  -  and zee pigz izz in zee barn!

Last edited by Sector11 (2019-11-12 21:55:37)

BunsenLabs Forum Rules ---== I'm a Conky 1.9'er ==---
System:    Host: d67 Kernel: 4.9.0-9-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 6.3.0)
Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)

#3052 Yesterday 09:42:03

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

^Lol ... @Sector. big_smile

Some random babble adds folks. Mentioned am electing to use networkd + wpa_supplicant now and works very well. However since Ceni looks to be a thing of the past and am not suffering a graphical network manager thing, has necessitated I learn more about command-line utils and cmds to manage networking in gnu/Nix. Some misc things about it follow.

Now I'm using a neighbors wifi, most the time works great and hey, it's hard to beat free and anonymous wifi fellas. Anyway however this comes with much crappo, as who knows how many others may be sharing said AP-access pt, how many devices, how much bandwidth is available to divvy up. Thus it's unreliable at times and aggravates me. So one hack I've settled on, when connection goes wonky, I know it's the dang AP, not the config's on my end. So rather than reload, check status of a bunch of services etc etc. Lately when encounter such, I just hit the Fn key and hotkey to toggle off my laptops wireless, then turn the baby back on.

Systemd looks and notices interface went down, interface now came back up and it and wpa_supplicant re-connect to the thing for me. Also the "ping -c 3 www.google" in terminal has become popular here in confirming connection chittery. big_smile That sends 3 packets to www.google.com and then lists the reply and how long it took to do. So if I get a "temporary failure in domain resolution" or packet loss and excessive RTT = return trip time, yep confirms what I already know, it's AP chittery.

Need to go ahead and add a bash alias for the above ping test. More on this, if someone aspires to being a gnu/Linux commandline networking ninja may be interesting-helpful. There's a package called "wavemon" in repo's, it's run by typing "wavemon" in a terminal folks. Just a general looksee at a connection's state. Not overly helpful, thus have adopted the toggling wifi on/off thing.

Have also added aliases to .bash_aliases file in users /home for the following junk ...

scan="sudo iw dev name-of-wifi-interface scan |grep SSID"
Gives me a list of all avail AP's detected SSID's/names.
wifi-info="sudo iwlist name-of-wifi-interface scan"
Shows more detail about them, such as type of encryption/sec being used, blahblahblah.
ck-conn="sudo iwconfig"
Which just shows the current state of an ongoing connection(if any and if not will make that plain, such as a disconnect.)Let's me know what the wireless interface is connected to and shows some info about the AP-etc.

Also added them to my file in /etc/sudoers.d so that I can run the iw, iwlist and iwconfig cmds without having to bother with entering a password. Are explanation above there for what does what. Anyway, networkd + wpa_supplicant rocks. Like this approach very much and will continue learning about all the assoc junk. For example, snatched from a Gentoo doc, what someone could add to wpa_supplicant config file to connect to any open hotspot detected.

network={
        key_mgmt=NONE
        priority=-999
}

The -999 thing just means it won't connect to these things, if another set access pt has been defined. It/they get priority ... COOL STUFF !!! smile Anyway, time to add a ping alias. Also time to just bite bullet and get reliable wifi !!!

PS, LMFrigginAO ... errrrr, also been thinking about wpa-psk2 hackery a lot lately. Dunno why, just happens to be jumping into my bean more as late. Messing around fellow nixers.

Last edited by BLizgreat! (Yesterday 09:56:41)

#3053 Yesterday 10:15:31

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Also just 4 record. Using even the king of bloat Gnome network-manager deal, really isn't all that bad, is in fact great overall. As has been wicd-gtk too. They're still amazing pieces of software and do an awesome job of what they do, also adding mucho convenience in detecting, connecting and managing networking in gnu/Linux. Talking about what ? All of 40-80mbs or so and whatever cpu + disk overhead ? A drop in the bucket even for dated hardware. My current laptop is ANCIENT, still has 4gbs-ddr on the thing. Tis still just the fact that the resource miser in me absolutely refuses to do the convenient and/or sane thing and insists on finding things like networkd + wpa_supplicant and assoc stuff !!!

Resource miser says, 60 FRIGGIN MBS DUDE, WHAT ARE YA ... RETARDED ?!!?!??! Sane-part-of-me ... dammit dude, it's 60mbs, shut the heel up and let's go with convenience for once !!!!

@RM ... AH SCREW YOU, YA LAZY AZZHAT !!!
@SPOM ... Screw you too and more !!!
@RM ... you know I'm gonna win out, so stop ya bytching and google ya fecker !!!
@SPOM .. chit he's right, mmmmm google.com. tongue

#3054 Yesterday 14:24:02

ratcheer

Interesting. Arch Linux has pigz in the repository, but I do not have it installed (actually, I never heard of it until now). I think I'll play with it, too.

#3055 Yesterday 14:43:25

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

^ Yeah Ratcheer, have to install these are available in the stock repo's, are in Stretch and surely onwards. Are a bunch of these things meant to handle whichever de/compression formats. They use multiple cores while doing it vs outdated ones that were only meant to utilize one. Understandable as those who designed all such kickbutt software did so at a time when the avg pc having 2 or more commonly 4 cores was a longggg way off. Obviously de/compressing something with more than one has to mean it gets done faster. smile

#3056 Yesterday 16:00:01

misko_2083

@BLizgreat! Those long posts make good patterns for the bed sheets. You can start a new brand of bed sheets.
Imagine the commercial:
'Right from Bunsenlabs, the marvelous midnight babble that will keep your husband on his side of the bed.
The original bed sheet stories from BLizgreat!.' :-D

#3057 Yesterday 16:10:52

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

^ LOL big_smile.

Errrrr okay, I do have mucho to say about tech and gnu/Linux, Debian in particular. Have somewhat adopted this thread as my all over the place, general purpose babble thread. Don't want to bother starting threads for much of this and it's clearly a popular much viewed topic. So can share some gnu/nix junk I think is interesting here and count on many folks seeing it. Hopefully inspires people to play, poke ... prod and do interesting stuff with their OS's. smile

At this point, I've pretty much become a Nix-nomad. With BL community being one I still actually want to visit or participate with. My loyalty is to Debian gnu/nix overall but it's main forum has long been world famous for being a useless techno-toilet, full of tektarded trolls and azzhats, people who are lucky they know enough about tech to turn their comps off/on etc. Yeppers, just can't handle spending time there.

On the look-out for a full time gnu/Nix hangout when the urge to forum strikes. Will always end up checking in here too though. Still promoting BL when feel it's the right thing and type of user(s.) Since the #! community disintegrated, I'm a thousand miles from nowhere, mostly no set place I want to be. big_smile

#3058 Yesterday 16:13:46

ratcheer

Yes, I tested on a 13 MB file. It's not too big, but it was a decent-sized file that I could easily find.

gzip compressed it in 0.398 sec, pigz took 0.102 with default compression. So, yes, pigz is almost 4x faster on my 4-core system.

I have linked pigz to gzip. Thanks for pointing it out.

#3059 Yesterday 16:36:47

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

^ Hey you're welcome. Think it comes with the territory, being nixers, supposed to share and help each other. Plus it's a pay it forward thing, for all the nixers past/pres/future who've taken the time to put up useful and cool info for everyone to use.

As for the topic of parallel (de)compression tools, are one's for bzip, xz etc available too but wouldn't advise someone to go on an install and symlink frenzy. Whatever is used has to be fully compatible with the thing you'd be linking to or may cause issues on an OS, the guy who developed pigz took pains to make it so. Mentioned have had gzip linked to pigz for at least a couple years on that Stretch OS and never had an adverse effect.

Would have to do more testing on it though too. As to actual benefits gained. When something hits up gzip, it should end up using pigz but would need to check on it to see if the full bennies of parallel compression are being used. Regardless someone is no worse off either way. smile

PS, where pigz shines is in compressing junk vs gzip. So would look into and use it's specific commands when you're wanting to use it, wanting something compressed. Believe it also decompresses stuff faster too but not as much as the blow out you've seen in compressing. Also people aren't just developing these parallel versions for the heck of it. Just a matter of time before distro maintainers start harnessing and using them commonly. To replace any single threaded versions which remain in use now.

Last edited by BLizgreat! (Yesterday 16:49:48)

#3060 Yesterday 17:38:36

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Oops one more, been griping about this one forever and honestly think BL team should employ this, that being swappiness=60 it's a hangover from the darkages of tech and has no place in modern desktop gnu/Linux ... PERIOD !!! Swappiness=10 has been the desktop recommendation forever.

I mean it was/is brilliant, the folks behind vm=virtual memory, using part of the hard disk as RAM they are/were friggin geniuses it just doesn't apply anymore with the avg system having so much memory installed. The first pc I had, had (IBM)512KB's of memory on the thing. Don't even think it had a hard drive as yet. Someone had to load the DOS OS from floppy drives. So yeah, when RAM was that limited and expensive, using part of the drive to act as virtual RAM was awesome. Have only seen one distro out-of-box that was smart enough to implement this tweak. Default 60 has long been ridiculous.

In other babble news, last time I'd heard, my brothers wife's phone had a dual-quad core processor and at least 4gbs of RAM !!!! Ye gawds, how far things have come. Blows my mind fellow nixers ! big_smile

Last edited by BLizgreat! (Yesterday 17:41:19)

#3061 Today 03:01:16

Sector11
The Tpyo Knig Mod

@ BLizgreat!

What's this I hear :

... errrr the thread ( MY THREAD BTW hmm ) ...

very well organized too I see:
THE_Blitz_Thread.png
OK, I'm outta here!

BunsenLabs Forum Rules ---== I'm a Conky 1.9'er ==---
System:    Host: d67 Kernel: 4.9.0-9-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 6.3.0)
Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)

Board footer