You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-25 15:50:09

earlybird
ほやほや
Website

Replace gnumeric in base install with LibreOffice Calc

As raised here, the juxtaposition of LO Writer and Gnumeric is confusing and not exactly an intuitive choice. Since Calc is in terms of versatility and adoption the superior product, I propose to replace gnumeric with Calc in our base install.

When that happens – if as a change to Helium or in the successor Lithium release – is another question.

Comments (John)?

#2 2018-06-25 16:45:00

hhh
Meep!
Website

Re: Replace gnumeric in base install with LibreOffice Calc

I'm for this, I think Lithium is fine for the target to implement it.

#3 2018-06-25 17:15:33

DeepDayze

I find LO Calc is indeed superior to Gnumeric so why not drop Gnumeric?

Real Men Use Linux

#4 2018-06-25 21:39:25

ohnonot
...again
Website

how does it compare in size for the .iso?

#5 2018-06-26 08:19:58

johnraff
nullglob
Website

We need to check how many extra MB of deps calc would bring in, installed without recommends. Unless it's vastly more than gnumeric then I think it would be a good substitution.

Users can already get it easily from the menu, though, so maybe Lithium for the switch?

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog, idle Twitterings and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#6 2018-06-26 08:22:07

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Website

Perhaps libre stuff could be in post-install?
edit: For example on my machines Libre will come handy only if its a job machine, there is only a slight chance that would be installed on home machine.

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2018-06-26 09:37:20)

#7 2018-06-26 09:25:17

dolly
Miss Mixunderstand

A good idea, for Lithium. smile

Keep BunsenLabs #!yish please.

#8 2018-06-26 09:26:55

ohnonot
...again
Website

brontosaurusrex wrote:

Perhaps libreoffice stuff could be in post-install?

this is a good idea; esp. if the script can take care of & provide options to install the various components, keeping it minimal, instead of the whole effing bundle.

#9 2018-06-27 06:20:03

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^Isn't this the exact situation we have now?
Except:
LO Writer + minimal dependencies comes by default so people can open .doc files.
Gnumeric comes by default for .xls files.
(I think it's common enough for people to send things as .doc or .xls files, even outside work.)

The office menu will install any individual items from LO without recommends, or the whole thing, recommends and all.

Last edited by johnraff (2018-06-27 06:20:56)

John
--------------------

#10 2018-06-27 14:12:11

Jimbo_G

I don't see much support for Gnumeric on here, and I also much prefer LO Calc. If it's not too much bigger then I'd like to see it replace Gnumeric for the base install.

Or only install LO Writer and have the rest of the suite as options in post-install. I have no idea how many people see a spreadsheet program as a must-have in a base install. I personally would install it but I wouldn't necessarily expect it to be installed by default.

#11 2018-06-28 06:58:40

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Maybe it's only here in Japan, but people sometimes use .xls files to send information that fits a tabular format - concert playlists or whatever -  so there might be something to be said for out-of-the-box support, just as for .doc files. But let's definitely look at calc as a replacement for gnumeric.

John
--------------------

#12 2019-11-03 21:04:11

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Website

Afaik Gnumeric opens xls files just fine? (Seems to open simple xlsx stuff ok) Also it starts in 2 seconds (as opposed to calc which doesn't).

p.s. Personally I'd get rid of libreoffice in it's entirety ... and then advertise that. ('The only distro that's gluten and libreoffice free') .

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2019-11-03 21:22:26)

#13 2019-11-04 05:42:43

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^I like gluten myself. smile

John
--------------------

#14 2019-11-04 08:17:16

Jimbo_G

brontosaurusrex wrote:

and then advertise that. ('The only distro that's gluten and libreoffice free') .

That would be libreoffice libre then (at least in French and Spanish anyway) wink

There might be a marketing opportunity for "gluten libre", it sounds more expensive than gluten free.

#15 2019-11-04 21:12:26

AndrewSmart

The only choice of software that I couldn't quite understand was the office software: you get LibreOffice Writer but instead of LibreOffice Calc you get Gnumeric. I guess the developers tried to find a balance between lightweight programs and the best tool for the job. For those who prefer the full LibreOffice suite there is an option in the menu to install just that.

brontosaurusrex wrote:

Afaik Gnumeric opens xls files just fine? (Seems to open simple xlsx stuff ok) Also it starts in 2 seconds (as opposed to calc which doesn't).

p.s. Personally I'd get rid of libreoffice in it's entirety ... and then advertise that. ('The only distro that's gluten and libreoffice free') .

Agreed. libreoffice too big for me, and as the review mentions the links to install it are just fine.

I also disagree with the DistroWatch reviewer's point of view on Wayland, my expectation is that it is not optimal to replace Xorg when the user is interested in remote desktop over slow low bandwidth connections [1][2]:

In short, this is a distro I could easily use as my daily driver. My only concern would be the project's long term future. BunsenLabs Helium was released almost a year after Debian Stretch was released and then there is the worrying fact that Openbox doesn't work under Wayland, which is getting ever closer to replacing Xorg.

#16 2019-11-05 07:54:16

ohnonot
...again
Website

johnraff wrote:

^I like gluten myself. smile

I had to check if you were serious.
Funnily enough, there does not seem to be any software called Gluten yet... big_smile
Yes, some people go to great lengths to actually obtain pure gluten. I did it once, it was fun (washing dough).

#17 2019-11-05 08:03:41

johnraff
nullglob
Website

OT/ I was serious. Gluten's the protein in wheat and what makes bread tasty IMO. Those with coeliac disease have to avoid it, but a lot of people seem to have got the idea that it's bad for you in general. Hence the "gluten free" on packets in the supermarkets last time I went back to the UK. It hasn't caught on in Japan yet. (Of course, it is a serious, often undiscovered, issue for ~ 1 in 100 people.)

John
--------------------

#18 2019-11-06 04:34:30

hhh
Meep!
Website

Have you ever eaten gluten-free bread or pastry? They try to fake the "glue" using flax oil or similar. The product can be tasty, but it is a damn paperweight. "Airy" or "fluffy" is not in gluten-free's vocabulary. Not only do I like gluten, I order all my breads extra-gluten! That's right, I ask them to inject more gluten into the batter via a hypodermic! Then I serve it with Mexican cartel avacodo-spread! The mule who delivers my gluten injections and illegal avocados drives a Prius covered in flame-throwers! It's straight out of Fury Road, it was actually epic when he rolled into my mom's gated community in Port St. Lucie West when I was visiting her and the invoice address got messed up.

Unless you have a rather infrequent digestive disorder, there is no reason to cut out gluten from your diet. It's a freaking grain protein. Croissants for everyone, on the house!!! EXTRA GLUTEN, PIERRE!!!!! MORE AVOCADO, PABLO!!!!!

OT: Provide LibreOffice Writer and Calc, lose Gnumeric as the default, I vote yea. Yay? Yes. Affirmative.

#19 2019-11-06 06:22:09

ohnonot
...again
Website

^ hhh, I think you need to lay off the gluten for a while...

#20 2019-11-06 06:27:12

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^^ I thought that had already been agreed TBH, till a certain dinosaur dug it up again...  roll

John
--------------------

#21 2019-11-06 08:56:06

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Website

Whatever decision is fine by me smile And I think gluten reference was to certain episode of South Park.

Board footer