You are not logged in.

#2901 2019-08-09 18:28:05

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 4,169
Website

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

ohnonot wrote:

OTOH, I might place a bid on an N9 with MeeGo, the best thing Nokia did shortly before getting the Kiss Of Death from Microsoft...

I got lucky, there wasn't much bidding and I got it for 23€!
So now I'm proud owner of a piece of mobile telephony history from 2011, Nokia's very last creation before it essentially became Microsoft.
Manufactured in Finland, F*ck yeah!

And a real GNU/Linux system.

Now let's see what I can do with it...

Last edited by ohnonot (2019-08-09 18:28:40)

Offline

#2902 2019-08-23 14:38:29

glittersloth
...always giving it to you straight
Registered: 2015-09-30
Posts: 903

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Man, some of these gamer laptops have really nice feeling mechanical keyboards*. Sadly, the rest of the hardware is not for me. If some manufacturer took the same chassis and keyboard and offered standard Intel U series processor/graphics and a display** with higher pixel density, removed the RGB and Nvidia bits (is Optimus still a sh#tshow on Linux?), and filled the empty space with as much battery as they could, I'd buy it in a blink.

*no idea what a "n-key roll-over anti-ghosting" keyboard is or how it benefits gamers, but I imagine it'll feel just as great for tmux or vim bindings.

**the gaming crowd seem to prefer higher refresh rates - they'll take 1080p@144hz over 1440p@60hz, which is why most (all?) gamer laptop screens max out at FHD only, or so I've been told.

Last edited by glittersloth (2019-08-23 14:57:09)

Offline

#2903 2019-08-23 15:04:02

clusterF
Member
Registered: 2019-05-07
Posts: 330

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

^ the higher the hz rate the better response times.

LG just made the Best Monitor of 2019 – 27GL850 Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6JxuEQhU18

This was a good review by Linus tech tips.


"Common sense is like deodorant, those who need it the most never use it."

git: clusterF

Offline

#2904 2019-08-25 16:40:19

glittersloth
...always giving it to you straight
Registered: 2015-09-30
Posts: 903

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Okay. last laptop related question, I swearz. Will also keep it as brief as possible since none of you mugs are nobel literature laureates. Nipple diddlers can rejoice, because it's ThinkPad related

Been considering the ThinkPad X390. Not maxing it out; middle-road Core i5 (4core/8thread), 16GB DDR4, 256GB NVME, backlit keyboard, 65W fast-charging adapter and extended 3yr on-site warranty (for additional $1) are the only options I selected. Nothing fashionable - no slim bezels, screen is only 1080p, single digit battery life (but at least it fast charges). Adds up to a bit under 2/3 the price of a similarly spec'd X1 Carbon. Not cheap, but not heinous either. Thing is, the AMD Ryzen variant X395 costs around 20% less with equivalent options.

Is AMD on Linux still a lottery? I know Ryzen and EPYC are all the rage in the Linux desktop and server space right now, but what about their mobile APUs? Done as much reading as I could, and what little I've found isn't exactly rosy. Lenovo historically also hasn't been all that dedicated to their AMD powered ThinkPads if the supported devices list on fwupd.org is anything to go by.

So do I suck it up and pay Intel tax for a relatively known quantity (with its own set of shortcomings), or do I cheap out with an AMD gig and potentially risk weekly troubleshooting for the next 3-12 months while the kernel team smothers bugs in typical dirty-hack fashion?

Last edited by glittersloth (2019-08-25 16:46:00)

Offline

#2905 2019-08-26 07:45:55

misko_2083
Member
Registered: 2016-05-24
Posts: 252

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

https://i.imgur.com/UOz8qp4.jpg
Just another walk through the maze of bureaucracy.

**************    **********
*   THIS     *    *   GO   *
*   ISN'T    *    *   TO   *
*  COUNTER   *    *  ROOM  *
*     17     *    *   26   *
**************    **********

"Thank You Mario! But Our Princess Is In Another Castle!"

Offline

#2906 2019-08-26 13:37:56

clusterF
Member
Registered: 2019-05-07
Posts: 330

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

^ haha, i suppose 2 + 2 = 5 to those bureaucrats too.


"Common sense is like deodorant, those who need it the most never use it."

git: clusterF

Offline

#2907 2019-08-26 22:54:55

hhh
Meep!
Registered: 2015-09-17
Posts: 8,747
Website

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

glittersloth wrote:

Okay. last laptop related question, I swearz. Will also keep it as brief as possible since none of you mugs are nobel literature laureates. Nipple diddlers can rejoice, because it's ThinkPad related

Been considering the ThinkPad X390. Not maxing it out; middle-road Core i5 (4core/8thread), 16GB DDR4, 256GB NVME, backlit keyboard, 65W fast-charging adapter and extended 3yr on-site warranty (for additional $1) are the only options I selected. Nothing fashionable - no slim bezels, screen is only 1080p, single digit battery life (but at least it fast charges). Adds up to a bit under 2/3 the price of a similarly spec'd X1 Carbon. Not cheap, but not heinous either. Thing is, the AMD Ryzen variant X395 costs around 20% less with equivalent options.

Is AMD on Linux still a lottery? I know Ryzen and EPYC are all the rage in the Linux desktop and server space right now, but what about their mobile APUs? Done as much reading as I could, and what little I've found isn't exactly rosy. Lenovo historically also hasn't been all that dedicated to their AMD powered ThinkPads if the supported devices list on fwupd.org is anything to go by.

So do I suck it up and pay Intel tax for a relatively known quantity (with its own set of shortcomings), or do I cheap out with an AMD gig and potentially risk weekly troubleshooting for the next 3-12 months while the kernel team smothers bugs in typical dirty-hack fashion?

Dude, if it was me I would have to go for the Ryzen. After all, it's all the rage.

https://certification.ubuntu.com/hardware/201906-27169/

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14317/le … raportable

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevang … 9356df5619

And this article...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= … 400g&num=1

Offline

#2908 2019-08-27 05:41:00

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 4,169
Website

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

misko_2083 wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/UOz8qp4.jpg
Just another walk through the maze of bureaucracy.

Funny how the second paper seems to have been added as an afterthought - first it was only:

************** 
*   THIS     * 
*   ISN'T    *  
*  COUNTER   *   
*     17     *  
**************

then someone must've thought: Why do people still knock at my door?
...

Offline

#2909 2019-08-27 12:03:57

misko_2083
Member
Registered: 2016-05-24
Posts: 252

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

clusterF wrote:

^ haha, i suppose 2 + 2 = 5 to those bureaucrats too.

It's very often 2 + 2 = (pause) for those specimen. They are masters at pretending they are too busy. Sometimes it 5, sometimes it's 16 in documents that you are missing. Orwell would be proud.

ohnonot wrote:
misko_2083 wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/UOz8qp4.jpg
Just another walk through the maze of bureaucracy.

Funny how the second paper seems to have been added as an afterthought - first it was only:

************** 
*   THIS     * 
*   ISN'T    *  
*  COUNTER   *   
*     17     *  
**************

then someone must've thought: Why do people still knock at my door?
...

Of course, just the thought was probably: These are still bothering me, I must do something about that.
It's normal for people to ask where to go when there is no info about it.
I imagine that someone inside is like the character from a satire, the clerk on the counter called "Mica Ubica" (can be translated as "Mrs. Miller the Killer").

Edit: Took some time to translate a relevant parts of the satire.
https://i.imgur.com/OhDDzKe.png
Pastebinit because it's very long https://pastebin.com/Ltyhc8D7

Last edited by misko_2083 (2019-08-27 14:08:00)

Offline

#2910 2019-08-29 16:21:22

glittersloth
...always giving it to you straight
Registered: 2015-09-30
Posts: 903

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Why do so many applications assume that all English (Anywhere other than the UK) users read dates the same way English(US) people do?! WTF is 8/29/2019 supposed to mean? The eighth of whatever the twenty-ninth month is? Grrr...

[/rant]

Last edited by glittersloth (2019-08-29 16:22:27)

Offline

#2911 2019-08-29 17:18:50

Sector11
The Tpyo Knig Mod
From: 77345 ¡#
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 5,671

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

To be honest it is only the US that reads dates like that.  ALL other English speaking countries, to the best of my knowledge, use: dd/mm/yyyy

Although I see where Canada is beginning to bent to US pressure.

Started with MS Windows becoming popular and all English versions were default "US English" and had to be tweaked.

29th month of a year would be the 3rd month of May in a year.

And I agree with you.  GRRRRR  big_smile

jfmamjjaso
ndjfmamjja
sondjfmamj

All in good fun folks

Last edited by Sector11 (2019-08-29 17:20:02)


BunsenLabs Forum Rules ---== I'm a Conky 1.9'er ==---
System:    Host: sector11 Kernel: 4.9.0-11-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 6.3.0)
Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1 dm: lightdm Distro: BunsenLabs GNU/Linux 9.6 (Helium)

Offline

#2912 2019-08-29 21:08:55

eight.bit.al
Member
From: The top of the World
Registered: 2015-10-01
Posts: 378

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Feet and inches, 16 oz to a pound, it's all screwy but the US is already metric and doesn't know it.

8bit

"When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before."
    - Mae West (1892-1980)


A mind is a terrible thing not to change.
The problem lies not with new ideas, but in escaping the old ones.

Offline

#2913 2019-08-29 21:15:12

twoion
ほやほや
Registered: 2015-08-10
Posts: 2,555

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

eight.bit.al wrote:

8bit

"When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before."
    - Mae West (1892-1980)

Nono, we all know you should always choose the lesser evil!


At the end of the river the sundown beams

Offline

#2914 2019-08-29 22:35:39

eight.bit.al
Member
From: The top of the World
Registered: 2015-10-01
Posts: 378

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

^

Nice. Well played. :-)

8bit

"If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me."
    - Alice Roosevelt Longworth (1884-1980)


A mind is a terrible thing not to change.
The problem lies not with new ideas, but in escaping the old ones.

Offline

#2915 2019-08-30 00:22:54

hhh
Meep!
Registered: 2015-09-17
Posts: 8,747
Website

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

glittersloth wrote:

Why do so many applications assume that all English (Anywhere other than the UK) users read dates the same way English(US) people do?! WTF is 8/29/2019 supposed to mean? The eighth of whatever the twenty-ninth month is? Grrr...

[/rant]

The English created the language, I'm just trying to use it. That's paraphrasing a Snatch line, isn't it? A moment...

At 1:30... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGf6acNtvp0

In the States, if you asked what the calendar date was we'd say "August twenty-ninth, twenty nineteen". It's not surprising we write it the same way.

-edit- Now that I think about it, I would answer "August the twenty-ninth", because "August twenty-ninth" sounds weird to me. August first sounds fine, August eleventh already sounds weird, but August twenty-third sounds fine. My Connecticut childhood? Maybe because my birthday is on the twenty-third, so I've said "September twenty-third" more than "August twenty-ninth" in real life? Weird.

Offline

#2916 2019-08-30 02:07:42

hhh
Meep!
Registered: 2015-09-17
Posts: 8,747
Website

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Corenominal, I hadn't seen this updated website till now...

https://corenominal.org/about/

Offline

#2917 2019-08-30 06:12:46

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 4,169
Website

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

^ "desktop drivel" - noice - haven't heard that before.

eight.bit.al wrote:

the US is already metric and doesn't know it.

A voluntary law! big_smile big_smile big_smile

hhh wrote:

In the States, if you asked what the calendar date was we'd say "August twenty-ninth, twenty nineteen". It's not surprising we write it the same way.

Chicken and egg situation.
Who knows what came first - the weird writing or how you say it.
IMO, "The twenty-ninth of August" is just as valid (but, not being a native speaker, I could be wrong).

Offline

#2918 2019-08-30 06:56:34

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 6,102
Website

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

^But you're not wrong. In the UK I remember hearing "The twenty-ninth of August" just as often as "August the twenty-ninth", but never "August twenty-ninth". That's only in America.

As for the US date format I'm with glitter - it annoys the hell out of me. No logic, and nowhere else on earth uses it. (Actually, in Japan they put the year first ala unix: 2019/8/29)


John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog, idle Twitterings and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

Offline

#2919 2019-08-30 10:56:27

randomeur
Member
From: Berlin, Germany
Registered: 2015-10-03
Posts: 35

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

For the folks looking for a new / refurbished laptop (mainly glittersloth and ohnonot), if you happen to live in Europe, check out nbwn.de. They sell a lot of almost new or refurbished thinkpads for half or 2/3 of their retail price.
Got a very good deal on a X1 carbon almost 5 years ago and apart from a painful keyboard swap (not the retailer's fault, these ultrabooks are designed not to be repaired it seems) and a new battery last month, the thing is still going strong.

Offline

#2920 2019-08-30 13:30:19

glittersloth
...always giving it to you straight
Registered: 2015-09-30
Posts: 903

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

^ I'm not based in the EU, but nonetheless,danke vielmals for the recommendation.

Ordered a X390 (easily replaceable keyboard, btw) last night. Got a good deal thanks to a combination of on-site discount codes and some end-of-month thing for Citibank cards. Even got the 3yr on-site + 3yr accidental damage protection + 3yr battery add-on warranty upgrades included, plus a backpack I'll probably never use.

Now to wait and see how the usual component sourcing lottery plays out - if I get a good keyboard and screen but lose out on the SSD (which I plan to swap anyway), I'll be content. Anything less and I'll be vehemently ranting here again.

Last edited by glittersloth (2019-08-30 13:32:04)

Offline

#2921 2019-08-30 13:45:09

glittersloth
...always giving it to you straight
Registered: 2015-09-30
Posts: 903

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

eight.bit.al wrote:

Feet and inches, 16 oz to a pound, it's all screwy but the US is already metric and doesn't know it.

As far as weight goes, the Brits aren't faring any better actually.

"Stone? Look mate, I asked for your weight, not the contents of your gallbladder!"

Offline

#2922 2019-08-30 14:51:14

clusterF
Member
Registered: 2019-05-07
Posts: 330

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

If you live in the USA you should make an effort to honour and understand their numeracy systems. Just because the rest of the world follows suit with universalist numeracy systems is no excuse.

Same can be said for the Brit pound vs Euro && Dollar vs Yuan.

The top 1 percent are playing this bottom dwelling game to convince you into adopting a slave world order.

Last edited by clusterF (2019-08-30 14:54:17)


"Common sense is like deodorant, those who need it the most never use it."

git: clusterF

Offline

#2923 2019-08-30 14:58:33

clusterF
Member
Registered: 2019-05-07
Posts: 330

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Recently got some part time work in ICT. Not sure what to expect but will be doing some interstate travel for the work. Any here on bunsenlabs in the ICT business?


"Common sense is like deodorant, those who need it the most never use it."

git: clusterF

Offline

#2924 2019-08-30 16:37:39

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 4,169
Website

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Offline

#2925 2019-08-30 18:16:32

eight.bit.al
Member
From: The top of the World
Registered: 2015-10-01
Posts: 378

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

^
Ha ha. Yes. What he said.

8bit

"Attention to health is life's greatest hindrance."
    - Plato (427-347 B.C.)

"Plato was a bore."
    - Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900)

"Nietzsche was stupid and abnormal."
    - Leo Tolstoy (1828-1910)

"I'm not going to get into the ring with Tolstoy."
    - Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)

"Hemingway was a jerk."
    - Harold Robbins


A mind is a terrible thing not to change.
The problem lies not with new ideas, but in escaping the old ones.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB