You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-16 19:18:01

jdonaghy
The Manatee Whisperer

I would like to buy a Macbook

Probably a Macboook Air. This may be the wrong place to pose this question, but I'm completely clueless when it comes to Apple's products. The last time I used a Mac was back in elementary school. I was probably 10 or 12. I thought someone here might have advice or a recommendation. I know I'm probably going to need to buy something used or refurbished, which is fine. I have a budget of around $700. I'd like to go as cheap as possible while still allowing for light tasks, web browsing, a little Python, etc. And my primary goal is to familiarize myself with the OS, so I would like what I buy to run the most recent version.

Can anyone provide any advice?

#2 2019-07-16 21:41:32

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Website

Re: I would like to buy a Macbook

For macOS Mojave

- MacBook models from early 2015 or later
- MacBook Air models from mid-2012 or later
- MacBook Pro models from mid-2012 or later

Source https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/mac- … e-3521736/

edit: Local second hand site lists 'MacBook Pro early 2015' for 800 eur.

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2019-07-16 21:44:08)

#3 2019-07-17 00:33:22

glittersloth
...always giving it to you straight

I don't know what the used/refurb market is like in your part of the globe, but if possible I'd go with the model in bronto's closing sentence. The 2015 MBP is, to my knowledge, the last Macbook Pro without the butterfly keyboard. You lose the portability of a MacBook Air, but gain some longevity with the specifications. Also still has legacy ports (though no USB-C, I believe). It'll probably be good for at least a couple more years of MacOS updates, but you never know with Apple these days.

...I'm completely clueless when it comes to Apple's products.

Out of curiosity, why exactly do you want to get a Mac? Did you previously run a dual-boot Windows-Linux system and simply want to replace the Windows half with something a bit more competent, or is there something specific to Mac hardware/software that you like or need?

Last edited by glittersloth (2019-07-17 01:32:44)

#4 2019-07-17 02:59:05

DeepDayze

glittersloth wrote:

I don't know what the used/refurb market is like in your part of the globe, but if possible I'd go with the model in bronto's closing sentence. The 2015 MBP is, to my knowledge, the last Macbook Pro without the butterfly keyboard. You lose the portability of a MacBook Air, but gain some longevity with the specifications. Also still has legacy ports (though no USB-C, I believe). It'll probably be good for at least a couple more years of MacOS updates, but you never know with Apple these days.

Out of curiosity, why exactly do you want to get a Mac? Did you previously run a dual-boot Windows-Linux system and simply want to replace the Windows half with something a bit more competent, or is there something specific to Mac hardware/software that you like or need?

An MBP is great if you like to dual boot MacOSX and Linux. Windows runs fine in Bootcamp too.

Real Men Use Linux

#5 2019-07-17 04:31:18

glittersloth
...always giving it to you straight

^ I know all that. I use an iMac for work. I was asking about his reasons for wanting one.

He says "as cheap as possible while still allowing for light tasks, web browsing, a little Python, etc" which practically any Linux (or Windows) machine can do, so I was wondering if he was working on something MacOS or tri-platform specific.

#6 2019-07-17 04:36:52

jdonaghy
The Manatee Whisperer

glittersloth wrote:

I've never owned one and I've never used one. That's pretty much it. Curiosity. That, and I've used practically everything else and have long felt that OS X is a major gap in my basic tech knowledge. I might hate it, but I'd at least like to check it out.

If I do this, I'll probably go for the 2015 Pro. Thanks for the links and advice.

Board footer