You are not logged in.

#26 2019-06-04 02:20:03

hhh
Meep!
Website

Re: Drop Chrome + Chromium from x-www-browser-pipemenu

I'll try the 64 version in a bit here. Vivaldi used to be in Debian IIRC, but it was always so buggy that I'm not surprised if it was removed.

#27 2019-06-04 02:31:07

hhh
Meep!
Website

So I just searched for Vivaldi dsc, the search came back for Vivaldi DAC, and now I want one...

https://www.dcsltd.co.uk/products/vivaldi-dac/

weight

16.2kg/35.65lbs.

Hell, if it doesn't work at least I can use it to bludgeon something. Rule Number One about DAC Club, we do not talk about DAC Club!

Heavy is goot. Heavy is rrreliable. If it doesn't shoot you can always hit him over the head with it.

Look, and gaze with wonder at The Future Of The Past...

https://www.dcsltd.co.uk/products/vival … transport/

-edit- Look, and gaze at You Losing Your House And Family While Your Friends Call You DipShizznit...

https://www.paragonsns.com/product/dcs-vivaldi-dac/

*Veruca Salt, nauseous* I do NOT want a boat like that, Daddy.

#28 2019-06-04 03:07:04

hhh
Meep!
Website

Anyway, the 64 bit deb from Vivaldi installs on buster without error. Bing is the default search engine, FYI. If you allow the post-setup process, you can choose from at least a dozen themes. This is Beach, I think, inactive/transparent window...

Screenshot_20190603_230038.md.png

#29 2019-06-05 01:07:00

DeepDayze

OK installed the Vivaldi 64 bit deb on Stretch and it installed with no error as well. Looks nice and the dark theme in Vivaldi is very close to the Bunsen Dark He theme.

Browsing was smooth and fast but have one problem, which is videos don't play in Vivaldi. Flash is installed properly. Any ideas?

Real Men Use Linux

#30 2019-06-05 02:04:16

PackRat
jgmenu user Numero Uno

DeepDayze wrote:

OK installed the Vivaldi 64 bit deb on Stretch and it installed with no error as well. Looks nice and the dark theme in Vivaldi is very close to the Bunsen Dark He theme.

Browsing was smooth and fast but have one problem, which is videos don't play in Vivaldi. Flash is installed properly. Any ideas?

I think this was the method I used - media in vivladi browser

Start vivaldi from a terminal and it does a sanity check for multimedia. Prompts if you want to install a couple files; provided by Ubuntu. Worked on my Void systems without issue.

You must unlearn what you have learned.
    -- yoda

#31 2019-06-05 02:12:11

DeepDayze

PackRat wrote:
DeepDayze wrote:

I think this was the method I used - media in vivladi browser

Start vivaldi from a terminal and it does a sanity check for multimedia. Prompts if you want to install a couple files; provided by Ubuntu. Worked on my Void systems without issue.

This is debian and not sure if those packages will work in Debian.

EDIT:
Nevermind...it unpacks certain files to my home directory that was extracted from a Ubuntu deb.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2019-06-05 02:14:34)

Real Men Use Linux

#32 2019-06-05 02:20:57

DeepDayze

Okay Vivaldi works fine now. Also importing my settings from FF to Vivaldi was flawless.

Real Men Use Linux

#33 2019-07-01 01:22:26

johnraff
nullglob
Website

ohnonot wrote:

i did recently have a discussion with johnraff about Librefox. On my archlinux system, the AUR package integrates into an existing firefox installation.
...I think I already like this more than some ghacks user.js.

While thinking about the GTK dark theme fix for Fireox, I had a look at Librefox, and a BunsenLabs Debian package wouldn't be at all hard to put together. It would have to wait till after the Lithium release, but if there was enough demand, and someone went over all the prefs settings to make sure they were really a Good Thing™, then we could put out a bunsen-librefox for those who wanted it.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog, idle Twitterings and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#34 2019-07-01 15:42:59

Sector11
The Tpyo Knig Mod

I like the looks of that LibreFox.  I'd pop that in now.

Stretching it a bit for fun:

Mozilla like everyone else is getting to the point that it automatically delivers a bag of cookies, and then disables the cookie crunchers we have.

BunsenLabs Forum Rules ---== I'm a Conky 1.9'er ==---
System:    Host: d67 Kernel: 4.9.0-9-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 6.3.0)
Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)

#35 2019-07-05 05:10:05

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Firefox now has built-in control of cookies.
In Preferences > "Privacy and Security" > "Cookies and site data" you can choose to:
Block cookies (but this will break a lot of sites)
or
Accept cookies
    Keep until I close Firefox

This last choice works well for me - as long as Fx is open, sites are happy, but after you close it, cookies are gone.
For those few sites that you actually want to be able to store cookies (like BL forum) then any site can have custom settings to override the above global, in Page Info > Permissions.

This does as much as any of the old cookie control addons, doesn't it?

John
--------------------

#36 2019-07-05 11:39:46

redrobo66

I have no problem with Chrome and/or Chromium being dropped as an install option.
However, container tabs aside, Chrome/Chromium is simply a better performer. The usefulness of this depends on your browser requirements but I've consistently found Chrome to be faster, far more respectful of system dark themes, more compatible with Google services such as streaming, youtube, and way better on Open GL rendering.

Then again, it spies on the user.

Choose according to preference/paranoia smile

It's no big deal deal for those who still want to run Chrome, you just run the .deb.

#37 2019-07-05 13:24:46

Sector11
The Tpyo Knig Mod

johnraff wrote:

{snip}
This last choice works well for me - as long as Fx is open, sites are happy, but after you close it, cookies are gone.
For those few sites that you actually want to be able to store cookies (like BL forum) then any site can have custom settings to override the above global, in Page Info > Permissions.

For me not quite but close enough.  It still means one has to put up with the crappy ads, "and links to 3rd party sites" until you decide what to do with "new sites" you go to.  Then is you want that sire but not the cookie garbage you still have to put up with is all.   If I recall correctly, and we all know about my forgetter, there was a cookie blocker that sent unwanted cookies to /dev/nul <--- now that would be awesome if FF would do that.

It is a loosing battle though.  Sites are even blocking programs like "wget" and "text browsers" lately.

RE: Chrome and/or Chromium

redrobo66 wrote:

Then again, it spies on the user.

Choose according to preference/paranoia smile

LOVE YOUR WORDING!!!!

#38 2019-07-05 15:27:47

DeepDayze

I sometimes used links2 to access sites that are so graphics (and ad) laden to read articles but sadly many of them will not even open in Links2 now.

Real Men Use Linux

#39 2019-07-05 16:45:03

Sector11
The Tpyo Knig Mod

DeepDayze wrote:

I sometimes used links2 to access sites that are so graphics (and ad) laden to read articles but sadly many of them will not even open in Links2 now.

Yup, same with lynx.

These sites are saying: to he(ck) with your privacy, you let us get at your computer, 'now' or "No, you can not see the site - GO AWAY!"

#40 2019-07-05 16:51:29

DeepDayze

Sector11 wrote:
DeepDayze wrote:

Yup, same with lynx.

These sites are saying: to he(ck) with your privacy, you let us get at your computer, 'now' or "No, you can not see the site - GO AWAY!"

Yep I've seen messages to that effect, or the site has NO text to see as just the text is graphics and all you'd see is a "No Text" message or simply a sea of IMAGE tags...smh.

Real Men Use Linux

#41 2019-07-06 04:58:55

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Sector11 wrote:
johnraff wrote:

{snip}

For me not quite but close enough.  It still means one has to put up with the crappy ads, "and links to 3rd party sites" until you decide what to do with "new sites" you go to.  Then is you want that sirte but not the cookie garbage you still have to put up with is all.   If I recall correctly, and we all know about my forgetter, there was a cookie blocker that sent unwanted cookies to /dev/nul <--- now that would be awesome if FF would do that.

I could be wrong here, but I don't think that's a cookie problem. Ads, links etc can be blocked with an adblocker. I find Ublock Origin does a pretty good job, and doesn't slow down browsing - probably the reverse.

Cookies - unwanted cookies can indeed be sent to the inferno with Fx out of the box, as far as I can tell. They're more about privacy and tracking than blocking unwanted content - unless I'm missing something. (Happens more and more often these days.)

John
--------------------

#42 2019-07-06 16:13:08

Sector11
The Tpyo Knig Mod

johnraff wrote:

Cookies - unwanted cookies can indeed be sent to the inferno with Fx out of the box, as far as I can tell. They're more about privacy and tracking than blocking unwanted content - unless I'm missing something. (Happens more and more often these days.)

Got a sample of HowTo or a tip on how to check if it is being done?

#43 2019-07-07 04:58:38

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Cookies on Firefox

Preferences > Privacy & Security > Cookies and Site Data

Choose your global cookie keeping preferences.
I go for "Accept" but "Keep until" "I close Firefox".
That way sites are happy that you're taking their cookies, and will refer to them during a certain session, but as soon as you close Firefox they're gone. One way you know that's happening is that every time you visit a site the same "cookie policy" box will pop up, asking you if it's OK to store cookies. Every time you click OK, but the next time you go there it pops up again. That's because the cookie where it stored your answer has gone. cool

Individual sites can have custom settings.
Right-click > View Page Info > Permissions to see a long list.
You can also click the (i) icon on the left end of the address bar to check what permissions have been granted to that site.

Check stored cookies and data
Preferences > Privacy & Security > Cookies and Site Data > Manage Data
There you can delete anything you don't like, before checking how it got there...

Hope that helps a bit. smile

John
--------------------

#44 2019-07-07 13:10:22

Sector11
The Tpyo Knig Mod

Thank you John.  Yup, will look around.

#45 2019-07-09 18:05:23

kozimodo

One feature of Chromium that I appreciate regarding cookies is that rules can be set for a domain and all its subdomains.  That way, data-mongers like Google, Facebook, etc. can be set to forget cookies at the end of a session but sites that I am willing to trust, like forums.bunsenlabs.org for example, can keep cookies and I don't have to log in every time I check the site.

Is this possible with Firefox without an addon?

#46 2019-07-10 03:44:03

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^yes, see my post just above.

John
--------------------

#47 2019-07-10 09:54:25

kozimodo

Sorry, I should have elaborated.  As far as I understand, Firefox's settings only allow settings for individual subdomains.  E.g., I can set it to allow google.com for a single session but this doesn't affect subdomains like voice.google.com.  Moreover, I find after ending a session and restarting, I am still logged in.

With chromium, I can set [*.]google.com to be cleared on exit and this holds for all Google addresses.  After closing chromium and reopening, I need to log in again to access any accounts on google.

#48 2019-07-10 15:53:08

MsMattie

I'll be the contrarian here.

Leave the Chrome option in BunsenLabs.

I usually have two browsers open. They are in order  of privacy lockdown - Firefox, Chromium, Chrome. Firefox for the vast majority of work. And Chrome for if I must log into Google or for sites that demand I surrender privacy.

Contrarian here because what is being proposed is making it more difficult to install the most popular and used browser on the web - Chrome.

Linux in the backwoods of the Rocky Mountains...

#49 2019-07-11 07:39:29

johnraff
nullglob
Website

@MsMattie In fact we dropped Google Chrome from the pipemenu install options a long time ago. The main issue now is whether to keep Chromium or not. I think the consensus is moving towards keeping it.

@kozimodo I'm not sure what the issue is with subdomains. Maybe that you have to set non-default preferences for each one separately? I'd regard that as an advantage.

I have my default preference to delete cookies after Firefox is closed. That applies not only for [*.]google.com but for all domains. I find when I open a Google page after closing Firefox I do indeed have to log in again. Then for domains, or subdomains, that you want to allow to keep cookies, it can be done individually. The whitelist approach.

John
--------------------

#50 2019-07-11 09:36:35

kozimodo

Ah yes, of course, the inverse of what I do with chromium!  Keep only for session but whitelist sites I’m willing to trust.

Many thanks!

Board footer