You are not logged in.

#501 2019-05-16 16:25:48

twoion
ほやほや

Re: What are you reading right now?

CanadianClubXXX wrote:

The Wrath of Angels by John Connolly, 11th book of the Charlie Parkes series.

Fantastic as all of this other Charlie Parker books.

Hmmm, looks interesting! Thanks, put the author on my list.

A silent kite against the blue, blue sky

#502 2019-05-17 04:25:07

ohnonot
...again
Website

^ Haven't you known Ursula K. Le Guin before?
I must have read ALL her novels,what, a decade ago (before I started watching too many films on my computer) - both fantasy and sci-fi. (I think the Earthsea novels also exist as an animated film.)
I always liked the social part of Sci-fi (because the development of a society and human interaction in the future is a science, too) and surely enjoyed her way.
BUT all her sci-fi novels are based on the idea that aliens are basically human, too.
Even though this fact is well explained in her alternate history, it's still a bit of a stretch for me.
But then again, the same could be said for most sci-fi...

#503 2019-05-17 07:21:47

CanadianClubXXX

The dispossessed (Ursula K. Le Guin) is a must read. It has a few years (written in 1974) but the ideas (political ones, basically) are absolutely of value nowadays. Very very interesting. I'm not a big fan of sci-fi, but this book was recommended to me and I enjoyed it. I read it two months ago.

Salut,

#504 2019-05-17 09:16:18

Jimbo_G

I'm reading a new book by one of my favourite SF authors, Alain Damasio, called Les Furtifs.

I don't think his most famous novel (in France) has ever been translated into English - it's called La Horde du Contrevent, or The Windwalkers in English.

#505 2019-05-17 09:31:06

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office

Memory Machines - The Evolution of Hypertext (Belinda Barnet)

Engelbart believes that human beings live within an existing technical and cultural system, an ‘augmentation’ system. We are born with a particular set of genetic capabilities, and then we build on these innate capabilities using tools, techniques, skills, language and technology. There is no ‘naked ape’; from the moment we are born we are always already augmented by language, tools and technologies. This augmentation system defines the limits of what is possible for us as a species.

Nobody saw the world reaching net as it is now.

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2019-05-17 09:31:54)

Board footer