You are not logged in.

#476 2019-02-07 01:47:24

hhh
That's it!
Website

Re: What are you reading right now?

On topic. Gideon Kramer, violin - Beethoven Violin Concerto Opus 61.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm0ktYkxwes&t=24s

#477 2019-02-07 01:53:59

hhh
That's it!
Website

hhh wrote:

If you're not emotionally moved by that performance, you either are deaf, severely under-educated or you have issues. The finest music making.

#478 2019-02-15 20:27:59

THX1138

Not reading these books right now but I just wanted to mention them
Mona Lisa Overdrive
and Johnny Mnemonic
I absolutely loved reading those books by William Gibson
but I have to tell you, I did so much reading at university and so much studying
that I have rarely been able to pick up a book and read it since around 1995
Studying at university took all of the joy out of reading, for me.
Since then I have read, mainly only technical books about computers
I start reading novels and rarely finish them these days, yet I can avidly read technical books till the cows come home
I think the last book I read that wasnt a technical manual of some kind that I truly enjoyed was
fermat's last theorem by Simon Singh and that must have been about 1994 or 5 or something like that
https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 … ngh-review

Last edited by THX1138 (2019-02-15 20:44:34)

The telephone is an antiquity - you never know who is calling, there is no image, it is an outmoded product which constantly disrupts work (Ralf Hutter (Kraftwerk)) ps: my wife knows how much I dislike being disrupted at Work - Ralf Hutter hit the nail on the head there

#479 2019-02-15 20:58:10

Martin
Website

hhh wrote:
hhh wrote:

If you're not emotionally moved by that performance, you either are deaf, severely under-educated or you have issues. The finest music making.

I have of few of these:
https://www.ecmrecords.com/artists/1435 … don-kremer

/Martin

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

#480 2019-02-15 21:05:08

THX1138

Martin wrote:
hhh wrote:
hhh wrote:

I have of few of these:
https://www.ecmrecords.com/artists/1435 … don-kremer

/Martin

hhh wrote:
hhh wrote:

not sure how you are reading these things
I am looking at them and listening to them but cant see anything to read

Last edited by THX1138 (2019-02-15 21:06:26)

The telephone is an antiquity - you never know who is calling, there is no image, it is an outmoded product which constantly disrupts work (Ralf Hutter (Kraftwerk)) ps: my wife knows how much I dislike being disrupted at Work - Ralf Hutter hit the nail on the head there

#481 2019-02-17 23:41:46

twoion
ほやほや

twoion wrote:
ohnonot wrote:

Just ordered this because what the heck. Will provide feedback after finishing.

So, now I can wholeheartedly recommend The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi (Finnish guy)! Looking forward to picking up the sequels. Very entertaining sci-fi setting which will rustle your imagination. Action, some really well-written passages (not everything on the language level is striking, but there are some moments, also, cute fighting girls again (?) (erudite men have erudite preferences (doesn't bother me at all (actually I'm a fan)))). I had a great time reading this!

Great recommendation by ohnonot.

A silent kite against the blue, blue sky

#482 2019-02-18 10:21:27

ohnonot
...again
Website

^ thanks.
So far I like the sequel, too (The Fractal Prince). Even better in some ways... but I'm not through yet.

twoion wrote:

Hannu Rajaniemi (Finnish guy)!

yep. the book is oroginally written in English though.
I like how he inserts finnish symbolic names, and how certain aspects of finnish culture & mentality have been translated to inhabitants of the oort cloud... big_smile

Very entertaining sci-fi setting which will rustle your imagination. Action, some really well-written passages...

i'd like to point out the concept of the gentleman thief. apparently the blue print is some french novel character named Arséne Lupin, but i haven't read that so cannot say how far the parallels go.
This reminds me of another sci-fi novel that is modeled after the story of the count of monte cristo.

#483 2019-02-18 12:56:22

nore
>2⁹

ohnonot wrote:

Arséne Lupin

One of my boyhood heroes, as leading character in a french TV series.  Maurice Leblanc's Lupin is also in Project Gutenberg.

Last edited by nore (2019-02-18 12:57:10)

#484 2019-02-18 19:40:57

THX1138

nore wrote:
ohnonot wrote:

Arséne Lupin

One of my boyhood heroes, as leading character in a french TV series.  Maurice Leblanc's Lupin is also in Project Gutenberg.

You just reminded me about the books I loved reading when I was about 9 years old
Emile and the Detectives
Perhaps when I was 6 or 7 it was
the little Tim series of books illustrated by Edward Ardizone

Last edited by THX1138 (2019-02-18 19:41:53)

#485 2019-02-18 19:42:28

twoion
ほやほや

nore wrote:
ohnonot wrote:

Arséne Lupin

One of my boyhood heroes, as leading character in a french TV series.

Surely you meant Japanese TV series big_smile The best installments of the series are (IMO) this and that.

#486 2019-02-19 03:51:42

nore
>2⁹

twoion wrote:

Surely you meant Japanese TV series

No, this was live action, based on Leblanc's books, by the turn of 70's.

#487 2019-02-19 15:45:45

Jimbo_G

Not to mention Hayao Miyazaki's feature film debut

Back on topic, I'm reading L'Education sentimentale by Flaubert.

#488 2019-02-20 14:12:14

earlybird
ほやほや
Website

ohnonot wrote:
twoion wrote:

Hannu Rajaniemi (Finnish guy)!

yep. the book is oroginally written in English though.
I like how he inserts finnish symbolic names, and how certain aspects of finnish culture & mentality have been translated to inhabitants of the oort cloud... big_smile

So would it make sense to look up some of those weird names as they come up to get some more context as to their symbolic meaning or does it not matter very much?

#489 2019-02-20 21:05:00

ohnonot
...again
Website

^ I'm sure it's written in a way that you don't need to rely on your knowledge of ancient finnish tradition.
finnish first names are often the exact same words as for summer, storm, wind, sea, berry, bear...
Sydän means heart
Mieli means mind
i don't think these are used as actual names nowadays, but the inspiration is clear (as well as their symbolic meaning in the story).
other terms:
koto - according to wiktionary it just means home but to me it sounds kindof tribal (i could be wrong though).
Perhonen - butterfly
väki - archaic: strength, force
Ilmatar (or something similar) - air goddess
...and "like the fiercest löyly steam in an Oortian sauna" just made me smile...

btw, i like the other word-creations too, and would like to understand how they were derived:
zoku
guberniya
sobornost
etc.

#490 2019-02-20 21:25:01

twoion
ほやほや

Thanks for your insights!

ohnonot wrote:

btw, i like the other word-creations too, and would like to understand how they were derived:
zoku
guberniya
sobornost
etc.

I think I may be able to help with zoku, I think it's Japanese 族 which means family/relative/group/clan/tribe, also used for e.g. "family of fish" and some other contexts. Pronounciation is also exactly zoku. It would definitely fit the context it is used in, although just The Zoku sounds kind of plain.

Sobornost seems to be Russian (not far from Finland smile

Guberniya is also Russian (I guess).

In conclusion, I should look these up (sounds like fun, and like it'd be worth it in terms of enjoyment).

#491 2019-02-21 04:12:21

nore
>2⁹

^Fedorovism belongs to that list, too.

#492 2019-02-21 20:47:45

ohnonot
...again
Website

twoion wrote:

and thanks back to you & nore.
was fedorov also mentioned in the book?
this is interesting; i never thought those terms were so close to reality, i should look them up more as i read.

still enjoying the fractal prince very much.

#493 2019-03-11 20:03:48

twoion
ほやほや

ohnonot wrote:
twoion wrote:

and thanks back to you & nore.
was fedorov also mentioned in the book?
this is interesting; i never thought those terms were so close to reality, i should look them up more as i read.

still enjoying the fractal prince very much.

Have now finished both The Quantum Thief and The Fractal Prince. These are some stupidly good books and the author keeps one-upping himself. It's not just the really intriguing concepts and figures like the Aun or Wildcode; it's just so very visual writing that I read extra slowly and have this detailed world in my head to play with and explore. You probably know what I mean. This is something that is missing from all the other modern stuff (say 2010s) I've read so far.

Besides The Lord of the Rings and others, this is one book (or trilogy) I won't ever want to see a movie of since that would ruin my 'personal' world because the real pictures associate very strongly with the story. E.g. watching the LotR movies was the biggest mistake I ever made when it comes to literature; I actually read the books in 1998 before the movies came out and was quite fond of them; then I went to the movies and now Gandalf is just Ian McKellen. I have a similar experience with the Harry Potter books (which is less regrettable though; these are not nearly as good).

#494 2019-03-15 18:21:33

ohnonot
...again
Website

^ the potter book series was much more entwined with the films iirc.
anyhow i did read at least one book before the first film even came out.
at that time it was a wonderful coming together of kids, teenagers and adults all reading & loving the same books.

LOTR I read at least twice before the first films even came out.
One of the first books I bought myself, three grass green paperback volumes.
I have also watched the films several times by now, but i guess i should read the books again.
btw i heard tolkien was inspired by finnish language in general, and when he created the elvish language, so one thing in common with rajaniemi.

still reading the fractal prince... i'm slow... just for lulz, there's an even funnier sauna scene there (in finland it's common to go out to roll in the snow or even swim in icy water when you get enough steam - in an oortian sauna this is replaced by hard vacuum - the dark man's kiss)!
but that's just a detail; i fully agree with twoion's critique.

#495 2019-03-16 01:31:45

johnraff
nullglob
Website

twoion wrote:

..watching the LotR movies was the biggest mistake I ever made when it comes to literature; I actually read the books in 1998 before the movies came out and was quite fond of them; then I went to the movies and now Gandalf is just Ian McKellen.

I read LOTR in my late teens and the mental images were intense. Never felt inclined to see the film, and thanks for confirming that was the right decision!

@ohnonot I have had no evidence to back this up, but my impression is that Tolkien was thinking about Turkey when he invented Mordor. Ottoman Turkey was very much the Evil Empire at the time of WW1 (which Tolkien fought in) and Tolkien's Christianity is on record. Some Orcish with its consonant clusters did remind me of Turkish...

Now looking this up before posting, find two references:
https://www.theapricity.com/forum/showt … -the-Turks
http://bogost.com/writing/blog/where_in … as_middle/

EDIT now see you were referring to elvish not orcish, but anyway...

Last edited by johnraff (2019-03-16 01:46:27)

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#496 2019-03-16 14:20:12

nore
>2⁹

^Tolkien âddêd cîrcûmflêxes to black töngue writing simply to make it look alien to english readers.

J.R.R. Tolkien wrote:

I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done so since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence. I much prefer history, true or feigned, with its varied applicability to the thought and experience of readers. I think that many confuse 'applicability' with 'allegory'; but the one resides in the freedom of the reader, and the other in the purposed domination of the author.

He got inspiration from various people, places and events in history, but in the end, it's all about mixing all influences up in his imagination to make a story of his own. E.g. rohirrim may pay hommage to real life ostrogoths and other folks of migration period but they are not exact copies.

Conclusion: to become a writer, you have to read a lot.

Last edited by nore (2019-03-16 15:46:23)

#497 2019-04-04 06:28:31

phantomghost

I read book called Atlant squared his shoulders by Ayn Rand - our former compatriot, the largest American writer. The Creator of the philosophical concept, which is based on the principle of free will, the primacy of rationality and "morality of reasonable egoism. I want to write essay coonected with this book in the literarute. How to write synthesis essay i found on this page

Last edited by phantomghost (2019-04-05 06:24:59)

#498 2019-04-26 07:25:54

CanadianClubXXX

Malaz, Book1, Gardens of the moon (Steven Ericson)

#499 2019-05-16 07:26:24

CanadianClubXXX

The Wrath of Angels by John Connolly, 11th book of the Charlie Parkes series.

Fantastic as all of this other Charlie Parker books.

#500 2019-05-16 16:21:24

twoion
ほやほや

twoion wrote:

Have now finished both The Quantum Thief and The Fractal Prince.

I have since finished also The Causal Angel, which is the final novel in the trilogy, and these three books now definitely are some of my favourite Sci-Fi novels. You may or may not agree with the ending as imagined by the author, and it's by now certainly less original, but if you don't go all bean counting on each word and concept it stills is very enjoyable. The 'visual'  writing style which I wrote about earlier requiring some imagination to immerse oneself in the story is still present as in the two previous novels but somewhat less impressive and pronounced. All in all, a satisfying conclusion.

Then, an altogether different style and different author: I've finished Ursula Le Guin's classic The Left Hand of Darkness and am currently working on The Dispossessed and must say that her style of writing and concept is also very attractive (not for no reason are these novels typically called 'good reads'). Both combine good adventure&suspense – probably better in this regard than Asimov's Foundation series – with vivid world and concept building. The books also are heavy on playing with different philosophies and world views (putting aside some supernatural aspects) which I luckily can neither associate nor dissociate with the person of the author and her personal views, and I'd like to keep it that way since this is some of the most entertaining parts of her writing. She is a smart writer who despite her lack of background in the hard sciences can deal with the philosophy of science just fine without going overboard on the popcorn science fiction I'd say The Expanse is typical for.

That being said: The Expanse: Tiamat's Wrath is out and I'm going to buy it tomorrow smile

Board footer