You are not logged in.

#2676 2019-03-18 00:07:26

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

nore wrote:

I would have been content with a 100 euro Android phone to replace that old sturdy Nokia dumb-phone that was in use before.

Functionally no doubt, there's more to work phones though, what's your employers position on the fact that cheaper alternative would likely have gone unpatched its entire lifetime?  They may have stumped up the extra because they know apple will keep that brick patched.

As an individual I'd for sure risk the cheap phone, as an employer maybe not so much.

Just a thought.

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#2677 2019-03-18 00:11:04

damo
....moderator....

Does a dumb phone need updates/patches - by definition surely they don't need it? My little pocket clamshell has no web capability - just voice and text.

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#2678 2019-03-18 00:14:17

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

They don't get updates, that doesn't mean they'll never need them, there are known vulnerabilities in the phone/sms stuff too, the attack surface is way bigger the moment you also graft on Android or iOS though.

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#2679 2019-03-18 01:21:17

Sector11
Tpyo Knig

Or his BP is not iBP

OK, I'm outta here ... »»»»»»

BunsenLabs Forum Rules ---== I'm a Conky 1.9'er ==---
System:    Host: s12 Kernel: 3.16.0-4-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.4)
Desktop: Openbox 3.5.2 dm: (startx) Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 8

#2680 2019-03-18 07:40:38

misko_2083

Bearded_Blunder wrote:
nore wrote:

I would have been content with a 100 euro Android phone to replace that old sturdy Nokia dumb-phone that was in use before.

Functionally no doubt, there's more to work phones though, what's your employers position on the fact that cheaper alternative would likely have gone unpatched its entire lifetime?  They may have stumped up the extra because they know apple will keep that brick patched.

As an individual I'd for sure risk the cheap phone, as an employer maybe not so much.

Just a thought.

My cheap android phone (99€) got an upgrade to android 9 go.
They changed the CPU scaling governor to "performance" which made all the processor cores run at maximum and battery drain high. Hoping they will change this but.. that's not the topic here.
Phone gets security patch every month.

#2681 2019-03-18 07:52:36

twoion
ほやほや

damo wrote:

Does a dumb phone need updates/patches - by definition surely they don't need it? My little pocket clamshell has no web capability - just voice and text.

They do need it, namely if the firmware has bugs.

For example, I was using a Motorola e770 feature phone from ~2005 all to 2013, the phone did what it was supposed to do, however there were obvious bugs in e.g. the WAP browser.

The firmware was never updated, and the bugs are forever (still have the phone).

However, it must be said that the quality of the firmwares was in general much better than what is shipping on smartphones today (at least with the big brands). Esp. Sony went miles down in quality when they switched to making Android phones when compared to the Sony-Ericsson 'W' feature phone line, as did Nokia when they ran their Symbian phones into the ground, as did Siemens. It really is a shame that we got used to getting fed mediocre software that barely runs on a good day.

Im grünen Wald, dort wo die Drossel singt…

#2682 2019-03-20 13:55:15

glittersloth
...always giving it to you straight

damo wrote:

None of them (afaik) will get updates the "over-the-air" way smartphones do, if that's what you're asking. Some Nokias of old could be updated via their supplied usb-to-proprietary cable with some convoluted method (which probably only worked with MS Windows anyway). Some would need to be brought in to an authorized service center.

I remember this old Sony-Ericsson phone I had that required some fixing under warranty. Upon collection, the rep said they updated the firmware at the same time and showed the new version number on the screen via some cryptic combination of button presses. I proceeded to ask him if there was any button-press combo to initiate God Mode? He declined to answer. The bastid!

nore wrote:

Not only blood pressure, but during the very first hour using it, it evoked unstable, impulsive behavior as well.

Apple will gladly sell you a subscription for a breathing app. Only requirement is money.

Last edited by glittersloth (2019-03-20 14:06:44)

#2683 2019-03-20 14:50:09

earlybird
ほやほや
Website

glittersloth wrote:

showed the new version number on the screen via some cryptic combination of button presses. I proceeded to ask him if there was any button-press combo to initiate God Mode?

Don't worry, service codes are still part and parcel of today's mobile handset experience! There are OS-specific ones, there are USSD ones, and some vendors add their 'proprietary'/uncommon codes.

Esp. the GSM USSD codes still work on all carriers and all handsets in Germany, regardless of the phone network (2G/3G/4G).

#2684 2019-03-20 15:20:09

hhh
That's it!
Website

This is why I enjoy these forums.

Board footer