I tried manjaro a few years ago and it ate my hamster

I started trying it a couple of days ago again, cinnamon edition
and wow theyve solved a lot of instability problems,
I'm not saying - hey everyone switch to manjaro
and I'm not saying arch based is great
I'm just saying I think debian devs should start sitting
up and taking notice because I think arch based distos are starting
to actually compete in the sense that the ease in which noobs can join in

The telephone is an antiquity - you never know who is calling, there is no image, it is an outmoded product which constantly disrupts work (Ralf Hutter (Kraftwerk)) ps: my wife knows how much I dislike being disrupted at Work - Ralf Hutter hit the nail on the head there

#2 2019-02-22 23:37:50

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

Re: Manjaro - i hate to say this

So, if you want to expand, since you raised the subject, in what ways is it superior to installing buster & picking cinnamon?

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#3 2019-02-23 07:21:11

nore
>2⁹

THX1138 wrote:

I tried manjaro a few years ago and it ate my hamster

That's the result of having all pitfalls and dangers of Arch base without having to learn and struggle through installation by yourself with only wiki by your side. Using Manjaro for a while helped me to understand why Arch way should be understood and appreciated and why I personally must keep far away from it, on the safe and easy and dull side.

#4 2019-02-23 08:57:17

Nili
Website

Does those two distro provide NETINST ISO?

Dev1 | StartX | Openbox | Tint2 | Conky-Std
プロトタイプ: 双葉杏 (Futaba Anzu) THE iDOLM@STER、 山田 たえ (Yamada Tae) Zombieland Saga
Nothing beats peace and quiet - Tomoki Sakurai

#5 2019-02-23 12:52:48

Sun For Miles

May your conclusion about stability come out true after few months of active use. smile

Señor Chang, why do you teach Spanish?

#6 2019-02-23 14:59:43

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office

Manjaro openbox edition is certainly interesting to dissect. It looks like they have some serious dev power going on, everything under the sun is happening there. Very nice zsh setup out of the box as well. And nice adapta theme hack.

manjaro.th.png

I'd say the default is pretty far from looking good though (very subjective).

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2019-02-23 15:35:09)

#7 2019-02-23 16:15:06

THX1138

Bearded_Blunder wrote:

So, if you want to expand, since you raised the subject, in what ways is it superior to installing buster & picking cinnamon?

To be honest, I'm not qualified to answer that. I find it difficult to get specific on technical matters without writing a 2000 word essay that is refutable anyway. You are correct, I dont really have a technical leg to stand on , my post was perception based more like I was trying to say Manjaro has come a long way in a very short time

nore wrote:

and why I personally must keep far away from it, on the safe and easy and dull side.

Could you say more about that please, I am interested to learn~

Sun For Miles wrote:

May your conclusion about stability come out true after few months of active use. smile

I know what you mean, it sometimes takes a month or so to find the pitfalls of a distribution

Nili wrote:

not sure tbh

brontosaurusrex wrote:

Manjaro openbox edition is certainly interesting to dissect. It looks like they have some serious dev power going on, everything under the sun is happening there.

Absolutely -

I must admit here I have tried to install arch (vanilla flavour) a couple of times and failed
Manjaro is definitely the easy way into arch but I have this ominous feeling I will be back on the debian side within a few weeks. I always am, I  was running DSL for a few months, and fedora until I realised why I love debian distros - My fave distros of all time are debian net inst where i install openbox, Crunchbang, bunsenlabs. Thats it them are my favourites but when I do my own debian net install I feel like its a battle to get anywhere near the usability bunsen has. It makes me realise just how much work devs do to make a working distro like bunsen

Last edited by THX1138 (2019-02-23 16:27:59)

The telephone is an antiquity - you never know who is calling, there is no image, it is an outmoded product which constantly disrupts work (Ralf Hutter (Kraftwerk)) ps: my wife knows how much I dislike being disrupted at Work - Ralf Hutter hit the nail on the head there

#8 2019-02-23 17:37:49

PackRat
jgmenu user Numero Uno

Nili wrote:

Manjaro architect edition - - about as close as they get with that; I've never tried it.

You must unlearn what you have learned.
    -- yoda

#9 2019-02-23 17:43:48

PackRat
jgmenu user Numero Uno

Bearded_Blunder wrote:

Not saying it's "superior" just that there are some Arch-based distros available that are more user (noob or otherwise) friendly as far as installation goes. I don't think any of them claim new users as the target demographic, just don't have to go through the detailed installation of a Arch Linux installation. In that regard, the OP is correct, the Arch-based distros are catching up to Debian in terms of ease of installation and aesthetics. Still going to run the usual risks of using a rolling release distro.

-- yoda

#10 2019-02-23 17:53:36

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

I was just interested in if there were any obvious ones. :-)

One day I might spin something Arch *based* to see what the shouting is about, won't be Arch itself, I've read chunks of their forums, tis enough to put me off completely.  When I play source based I tend to head to Gentoo they seem a friendlier lot.  This is purely based on reading their respective forums, I've joined or posted in neither.

If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#11 2019-02-23 18:05:32

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

If you are wanting to try something Arch based, how about ArchLabs?

I like my Metal like my coffee.......Black!
Resident Metalhead Poser

#12 2019-02-23 18:11:48

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

There's a thought, maybe when I've finished wiping the old PATA drives for disposal so the 64 bit machine gets hooked back up instead of the old P4 I need for that task occupying the space smile 

I could theoretically spin it up in a VM to look but ESXi is a tad limiting, no sound, poor video & the only 64 bit VM I can do, great for servery stuff, desktoppy stuff not-so-much.

#13 2019-02-23 18:28:21

nore
>2⁹

THX1138 wrote:
nore wrote:

and why I personally must keep far away from it, on the safe and easy and dull side.

Could you say more about that please, I am interested to learn~

I don't have patience or skill to dig deep enough every time system breaks itself or when  I break something because of lack of patience and skill.

#14 2019-02-23 18:50:25

PackRat
jgmenu user Numero Uno

Dobbie03 wrote:

Yet another stable Arch-based distro that takes the pain out installation.

And a user friendly forum on par with BL  monkey

-- yoda

#15 2019-02-23 18:56:46

ohnonot
...again
Website

Sun For Miles wrote:

May your conclusion about stability come out true after few months of active use.

this is why i usually don't answer when someone says "hey, i just found this great distro, it's very stable and also looks good!"

THX1138 wrote:

Manjaro is definitely the easy way into arch

manjaro sure is arch-based, but this statement is wrong on at least two levels:

1. it completely ignores the arch philosophy - simply put, you cannot find your way into arch by not installing it yourself.

2. manjaro use their own repositories which again makes them different from archlinux proper. incompatible even. it is to arch what ubuntu is to debian, no more, no less.

i am trying not to be judgmental here, i am sure manjaro has grown into a nice distro over the years, but these things are facts. manjaro is not arch.

nore wrote:

I don't have patience or skill to dig deep enough every time system breaks itself or when  I break something because of lack of patience and skill.

i must say archlinux has always been very stable for me.
i don't think it needs more attention than my debian server.

Last edited by ohnonot (2019-02-23 18:58:43)

#16 2019-02-23 19:04:43

hhh
That's it!
Website

Dobbie03 wrote:

Amen, brother. Shit, I have to unplug and move the laptop to the router downstairs. That's OK, trying the new ISO should make it worthwhile, I'm interested in your new installer! See y'all in an hour.

https://archlabslinux.com/get-archlabs-2/

#17 2019-02-23 20:40:54

malm
jgmenu developer
Website

Although predominantly run BunsenLabs now, I've run Arch Linux for ca 10 years and never had a problem (and I'm really not a distro guru). I rarely do a re-install. I have had 'system' problems with several other distros (including Ubuntu), but not Arch.

There are a couple of things to remember:

• Always do pacman -Syu before installing a new program

• Read the Arch Linux web page front page before upgrade/update. Occasionally there is something that needs to be done

• Action .pacnew files

ArchLabs is absolutely fab! @Dobbie03 et al have done an amazing job. For anyone who hasn't tried it, I would dearly recommend it. It's very inspirational.

#18 2019-02-23 21:06:19

hhh
That's it!
Website

Fail on my end, I'm getting no B43 Wifi connection, although it sees the network and let's me enter a WPA2 password and a KDEWallet password. Maybe a Wallet issue? I'll have to try again another day.

Nice curses installer!

#19 2019-02-23 21:10:27

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

Thanks Chaps.

@hhh, yeah, I love the installer.  It's nice and simple and it gets the job done big_smile

Resident Metalhead Poser

#20 2019-02-23 22:32:40

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

No reason to hate saying Arch based distros are making it user friendly and streamlining the install process. No doubt doing more to ensure users have a better experience. Dobbie3's/Archlabs looks very well polished and slick.

No doubt a big part of why Arch based exist and many clearly well thought of. Think the aggravation of installing Arch is intentional, like a rite of passage type of thing. Having gone through it a few times, mainly just to prove I can, to myself. Always ends up being my version of a #! clone.

Always just end up over writing a perfectly working Arch install and booting Debian. Having had to jump through so many hoops getting an OS setup does give someone a personal attachment, the time/effort, think it's one reason Arch opted for the drawn-out and tedious installation process. Though good on Arch based for taking the headache out of it.

If ever get bitten  by the why not install Arch again bug, will go with one of them. Archlabs likely, looks really good and already close to what I'd be shooting for. Have seen much positive feedback from people on Manjaro too.

#21 2019-02-24 03:34:56

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

I have used Manjaro in the past and have found it to be far too unreliable.  In my two years of ArchLabs I have had one serious issue that involved chrooting from a live ISO and that was probably something I did to my system.

Personally I have found Arch to be substantially more stable than Manjaro.

Resident Metalhead Poser

#22 2019-02-24 08:40:45

MALsPa

Arch is so solid that the end result is worth the time and trouble spent doing the installation, in my opinion. I haven't tried Manjaro, but I've run some other Arch-based distros -- Chakra (forked from Arch), Bridge Linux, ArchBang, Antergos, and most recently, Archlabs. Bridge and ArchBang are what motivated me to try Arch. I don't think Manjaro is close enough to "the real thing" for my tastes, but I know that many others are quite fond of that distro.

#23 2019-02-24 12:28:40

Nili
Website

PackRat wrote:

Manjaro architect edition - - about as close as they get with that; I've never tried it.

Thanks PackRat, I'll save the link to check it. I'm interested to see what I can rice with it. It's my favorite installation from a distro. Anyone who produces such an ISO, I appreciate.

Dev1 | StartX | Openbox | Tint2 | Conky-Std
プロトタイプ: 双葉杏 (Futaba Anzu) THE iDOLM@STER、 山田 たえ (Yamada Tae) Zombieland Saga
Nothing beats peace and quiet - Tomoki Sakurai

Board footer