You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-22 20:09:38

THX1138

Technology in your wildest fantasies

I was wondering if any of you sort of daydream about where technology
could take us in the future. What sort of technological world will we have in, say, a 100 years? I like to think about augmentation technology, especially how human vanity and
our personal space would change. I can imagine, maybe, people being shrouded in a holographic shield  where, lets say they are walking down the street, you dont see them but their holographic wall around them. like some kind of weird website that you can choose tap into and listen to their music and project onto your own wall.

Or people never leaving their house because it is too dangerous to and people sending their androids to do their work for them, to run errands and work in factories and help fight wars etc and us humans will have fantastic houses and gardens and live tens of lives in one lifetime through the androids we own. I have a lot of daydreams like that but unfortunately not the discipline or knowledge to turn that into stories people would read.

Just wondered if any of you folks also have ideas and daydreams like that?

Last edited by THX1138 (2019-02-22 20:10:55)

The telephone is an antiquity - you never know who is calling, there is no image, it is an outmoded product which constantly disrupts work (Ralf Hutter (Kraftwerk)) ps: my wife knows how much I dislike being disrupted at Work - Ralf Hutter hit the nail on the head there

#2 2019-02-22 21:06:08

Sector11
Tpyo Knig

Re: Technology in your wildest fantasies

THX1138 wrote:

could take us in the future. What sort of technological world will we have in, say, a 100 years?

100!  20 years ago I told a lady she should have a phone surgically implanted as she is always on it.

Been on a bus lately? OK, maybe not surgically implanted BUT everyone id plugged in, turned on. Could not live witout being near or on a phone.  Had "beepers" back then.

And don't laugh: How Cell-phone Implants Work

I like to think about augmentation technology, especially how human vanity and
our personal space would change. I can imagine, maybe, people being shrouded in a holographic shield  where, lets say they are walking down the street, you dont see them but their holographic wall around them. like some kind of weird website that you can choose tap into and listen to their music and project onto your own wall.

Interesting, invisible behind a hologram

Or people never leaving their house because it is too dangerous to and people sending their androids to do their work for them, to run errands and work in factories and help fight wars etc and us humans will have fantastic houses and gardens and live tens of lives in one lifetime through the androids we own. I have a lot of daydreams like that but unfortunately not the discipline or knowledge to turn that into stories people would read.

Well you came close to describing the 2009 movie: Surrogates, with Bruce Willis playing; Agent Tom Greer  If you have not seen it - go for it.  Scary stuff!

And there is a Japanese scientist, Hiroshi Ishiguro, that has a look alike android now!

Just wondered if any of you folks also have ideas and daydreams like that?

Dream yea, but I can imagine where we will be in 10 years let alone 100!

Think of the world in 1919 and the change to today would be "unimaginable" to someone living then I would think!

BunsenLabs Forum Rules ---== I'm a Conky 1.9'er ==---
System:    Host: s12 Kernel: 3.16.0-4-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.4)
Desktop: Openbox 3.5.2 dm: (startx) Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 8

#3 2019-02-22 21:16:12

THX1138

Well you came close to describing the 2009 movie: Surrogates

wow - ok I will actually watch that - I never knew of it before now.
I am sure I will see how my vision could be a scary nightmare
I envisaged humans living like gods while our droids did all
the dirty work

Thanks for commenting, I thought maybe I had ballet danced across a football field
if you know what I mean

Think of the world in 1919 and the change to today would be "unimaginable" to someone living then I would think!

The thing is though, that 50 years ago, or so, I was watching Star trek. they had automated sliding doors, mobile phones, a ton of technology that only now we are realising in the real world. The star trek fantasy is great and so yeah I agree I think at best humans can only see about 50 years ahead of time.

Proof: When I was a little kid growing up in the 1960's I honestly believed, HONESTLY, that by the year 2000 cars would be a thing of the past, we would all have our own helicopter, because thats what the comics told me. By the time I was 20 I realised why that would not be possible, but now, I truly think, again, it may just be possible

Last edited by THX1138 (2019-02-22 21:25:11)

The telephone is an antiquity - you never know who is calling, there is no image, it is an outmoded product which constantly disrupts work (Ralf Hutter (Kraftwerk)) ps: my wife knows how much I dislike being disrupted at Work - Ralf Hutter hit the nail on the head there

#4 2019-02-22 22:21:39

Anaconda
crypto-anarchist

Human brain fully integrated with a powerful A.I.

After that anything is possible.

“The university is well structured, well tooled, to turn out people with all the sharp edges worn off...." Mario Savio
"Protections for anonymous speech are vital to democratic discourse". Help enforce our right to free and anonymous speech by running a Tor relay.

#5 2019-02-22 22:34:09

Sector11
Tpyo Knig

↑ ↑ Yes ... SkyLab! ↑ ↑

Terminators!

Stephen Hawking’s final warning for humanity: AI is coming for us
His posthumously published book about our future offers fear and surprising optimism.

And in a lot of ways, I am glad I will not be around that much longer.

Last edited by Sector11 (2019-02-22 22:45:43)

#6 2019-02-22 22:35:46

glittersloth
...always giving it to you straight

In the 1960s people predicted we'd all be in flying cars now. In the 1970s, they predicted we'd be terraforming Mars.

The current reality: It's 2019 and a software update just bricked your left shoe.

The future: Cyberbrain Sclerosis, baby! Yeehaw!! Narf!!

#7 2019-02-22 23:04:37

Sector11
Tpyo Knig

yikes  Glitter --- luv ya man ... you get me all the time!

lol  lol  lol  lol  lol  lol  lol  lol  lol  lol

I rest my case!  In my day parents taught us how to tie shoes!

And the bank wants me to download their "APP"
RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGH!

#8 2019-02-22 23:06:12

THX1138

glittersloth wrote:

In the 1960s people predicted we'd all be in flying cars now. In the 1970s, they predicted we'd be terraforming Mars.

The current reality: It's 2019 and a software update just bricked your left shoe.

The future: Cyberbrain Sclerosis, baby! Yeehaw!! Narf!!

LOL, you cynic hahahaha

edited in later:::: Actually, glittersloth, I didnt realise how funny your comment was till I followed that link
Wuhahahahahah
Nike's "grass sneaker" will make your swing look cool

Last edited by THX1138 (2019-02-22 23:13:55)

#9 2019-02-23 07:44:11

nore
>2⁹

Microsoft promised me this in 2005.
Why can't I still draw 3D in thin air with light pen in class?

#10 2019-02-23 09:48:32

ohnonot
...again
Website

THX1138 wrote:

could take us in the future.

well yes, i read sci-fi novels, watch sci-fi films...
tbh i'm not that concerned about how it really turns out evtl.
the past shows that there's a 50/50 chance of getting it right/wrong, or getting the timescale wrong. or getting the size of portable devices wrong, that's funny in certain sci-fi films.

i like what they make up in the stories, i especially like when the author is attentive to how it affects people's minds and society as a whole.

in reality, i'm neither utopian nor dystopian about these things.
i like what is available now.
history also shows that technological nostalgia will always play an important role. real books instead of computer files, black and white instead of colour, oil paintings instead of inkscape, etc. maybe a few years from now it will be "i still prefer smartphones to implants".

the only thing that gets me pumped about the (very near) future are opensource smartphones.

#11 2019-02-23 15:52:50

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office

Privacy
There will have to be a phase with clear definition on what can call home (or can call security/medics). Also can things be made unhackable. Otherwise It is hard to see any cyborgian or augmented future.  Stakes will have to became really high for individuals or companies dealing with any kind of personal data or user tracking bs. Good default would be to assume that certain user disagrees with any kind of data sharing. Also various buttons asking me if I agree should be replacement with some sort of global will of the individual, such document could look like:

# Policy
'No'.

Idiocracy
There are pointers that we are actually drifting into idiocracy (I did saw a poster saying that some new phone has 5 cameras the other day). Such state would enable full augmentation (or basically anything), since it doesn't care about any side effects. For example new fetus might have a genetic ability (or disability) to have locked zoom point for easier integration with 3d projections.

This space reserved for point3.

p.s. And yes, I still want a flying car.

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2019-02-23 16:27:18)

#12 2019-02-23 16:35:44

THX1138

brontosaurusrex wrote:

Privacy
There will have to be a phase with clear definition on what can call home (or can call security/medics). Also can things be made unhackable. Otherwise It is hard to see any cyborgian or augmented future.  Stakes will have to became really high for individuals or companies dealing with any kind of personal data or user tracking bs. Good default would be to assume that certain user disagrees with any kind of data sharing. Also various buttons asking me if I agree should be replacement with some sort of global will of the individual, such document could look like:

# Policy
'No'.

Idiocracy
There are pointers that we are actually drifting into idiocracy (I did saw a poster saying that some new phone has 5 cameras the other day). Such state would enable full augmentation (or basically anything), since it doesn't care about any side effects. For example new fetus might have a genetic ability (or disability) to have locked zoom point for easier integration with 3d projections.

This space reserved for point3.

p.s. And yes, I still want a flying car.

Excellent post -  too true.
I think that digital security may be what defines the first half of the 21st century in terms of technological advancement

For example new fetus might have a genetic ability (or disability) to have locked zoom point for easier integration with 3d projections.

wow, of course, genetics ....

#13 2019-02-23 17:54:31

Martin
Website

Not 100 years from now but too soon and not a dream but a nightmare. Or as one colleague put it "the future will give me a headache."

/Martin

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

#14 2019-02-23 18:33:52

ohnonot
...again
Website

^ wow that's a nice video.
reminds me a lot of Idiocracy, which is a very wise movie despite being pretty funny.

and genetically engineered babies ... not sure how big this was in mainstream media, but it has happened already. some chinese guy, and he's in serious trouble now. seriously.

#15 2019-02-23 18:43:09

PackRat
jgmenu user Numero Uno

You must unlearn what you have learned.
    -- yoda

Board footer