You are not logged in.

#2576 2019-02-10 22:24:59

ohnonot
...again
Website

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

S7.L wrote:

Oh it must be true, its in wikipedia!!! lol

I knew someone would bring that up sooner or later.

you could say the same about the Encyclopaedia Britannica - it's also a limited amount of people deciding what goes in and what doesn't.
Or about the Bible.

And you would be right on all counts.

But it's an argument for apathetic people who have lost the will to constantly question and analyze what they are being served - they just reject everything by default.

No, the real skill is in being able to recognize when one is being lied to or when somebody twists the facts or reports them lopsidedly to suit their agenda.

I was following the Cambridge Analytica scandal when it happened, weeks before the news about facebook abusing user data hit the mainstream media. News from 3 different countries, daily.
Oh, it did happen.
And that wikipedia article pretty much sums up what I remember.

Anyhow, for me personally the worst thing, the biggest scandal was this:
What they are doing isn't even illegal.
Creating fake content made out to look like it's coming from real people, to sway people's opinions: not illegal.
Targeting said fake content through personal data analysis: not illegal.
Buying all this as a service to win elections: not illegal.

That's what really got me.

The only palpable boo-boo was that Europeans are not allowed to meddle in the USA elections, and Facebook "accidenatally" overlooking that they sold private data they shouldn't have.

And a few days later Cambridge Analytica is back under a different name.

#2577 2019-02-10 22:45:31

damo
....moderator....

ohnonot wrote:
S7.L wrote:

Oh it must be true, its in wikipedia!!! lol

I could have given a lot of other sources, but that wiki page kind of condenses it to one place.

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#2578 2019-02-10 23:33:38

THX1138

When people have a go at Wikipedia I have often asked them to point out where the glaring inaccuracies are. so far I have found none. I have found pages where the explanation is too convoluted, and I have done edits to simplify and correct the language. I cannot think of exact examples but usually correct things such as "the train that was supposed to arrive before but arrived after was followed by the train that was supposed to arrive after but arrived before". I usually edit it to something simpler and more logical.

On that page about CA though it says
"Channel 4 News, a news programme broadcast by the British public service Channel 4, conducted a four-month investigation into Cambridge Analytica"
now there's a source I have great problem with. Channel 4. The witchfinder generals

Last edited by THX1138 (2019-02-10 23:37:37)

You have to do stuff that average people don't understand because those are the only good things (Andy Warhol)

#2579 2019-02-11 04:37:32

Bearded_Blunder

Well no matter what the outcome in the short term, all these things will work themselves out *most of the world* is outside the EU with no deal & they typically seem to manage.

Hope @damo doesn't suffer health-wise though.

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#2580 2019-02-11 10:25:36

S7.L

^ ok fair enough ohnonot, damo, thx.

#2581 2019-02-11 11:31:23

earlybird
ほやほや
Website

ROFL, I am currently engaged in a business-related email conversation and within the thread I just received an email reading as follows:

XXXX would like to recall the message 'SUBJECT'

So, to get this straight, Exchange/Outlook has a mechanism to recall messages (delete messages on the other end) after they've been sent -- probably only works if both sides are using Exchange or something compatible, but it's kind of scary that somebody insinuates to delete data that has entered my sphere of control. Proper email etiquette is to send messages only after thinking and be polite about mistakes smile

With message recall, a message that you sent is retrieved from the mailboxes of the recipients who haven’t yet opened it. You can also substitute a replacement message. For example, if you forgot to include an attachment, you can try to retract the message, and then send a replacement message that has the attachment.Reminds me of those Gmail email messages with expiration dates. Weird trends.

Message recall is available after you click Send and is available only if both you and the recipient have an Office 365 or Microsoft Exchange email account in the same organization.

On behalf of the sender, messages are deleted in MY inbox…if my company is using MS Exchange.

#2582 2019-02-11 11:51:24

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

^Are you sure it is really deleted on your computer, or is it deleted only on server, before your client retrieved it?

I don't know how MS Exchange works, but in linux parlance: when I send an email from my client (on my computer), it waits on server in a message spool (and yes, this spool is most of the time named after recipient). Now, until recipient actually fetches (and sees) this email, I would argue that deleting the message from the spool is not so awful ... The IRL analogy would be intercepting the mailman and asking him to give you the email you have sent to someone. IMHO, not so wrong, as it sounds. Not once I have forgot to attach the document I'm talking about in an email ops

(Of course, I know there are other possibilities for email exchange ... but this seems to be the most frequent way.)

But I fully agree on the point that person writing email should be careful and write the message with caution.

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..

#2583 2019-02-11 14:57:31

S7.L

^ i think some people forget that recalling ms soft emails can only work inside the companies intranet not the internet!

#2584 2019-02-11 15:28:16

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

^Perhaps. I'm not familiar with the MS Exchange.

Nevertheless, from what I saw, there is some sort of a server involved in process ... server which is neither sender computer, nor recipient computer ...

Note: I don't defend MS Exchange and email revoking/deleting ...

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..

#2585 2019-02-11 18:57:19

ohnonot
...again
Website

earlybird wrote:

ROFL, I am currently engaged in a business-related email conversation and within the thread I just received an email reading as follows:

"Make me unsay it"
big_smile

#2586 2019-02-11 19:36:56

THX1138

ohnonot wrote:
earlybird wrote:

"Make me unsay it"
big_smile

I laughed

You have to do stuff that average people don't understand because those are the only good things (Andy Warhol)

#2587 2019-02-11 20:35:18

Sector11
Tpyo Knig

↑↑ Kinda like: Make me unsee it!

BunsenLabs Forum Rules ---== I'm a Conky 1.9'er ==---
System:    Host: s12 Kernel: 3.16.0-4-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.4)
Desktop: Openbox 3.5.2 dm: (startx) Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 8

#2588 2019-02-12 07:48:43

earlybird
ほやほや
Website

OpenBSD makes their own rsync: https://github.com/kristapsdz/openrsync . Well I'm sure I have not needed all the switches of classic rsync, but the TODO list of openrsync is quite long and it's not yet runnable on Linux AFAICT. It doesn't have proper unit tests either (just apparently AFL).

#2589 2019-02-12 13:51:35

S7.L

^ looks interesting, will have to fire up my openbsd partition and have a look at it.

#2590 2019-02-15 18:51:41

THX1138

earlybird wrote:

OpenBSD makes their own rsync: https://github.com/kristapsdz/openrsync . Well I'm sure I have not needed all the switches of classic rsync, but the TODO list of openrsync is quite long and it's not yet runnable on Linux AFAICT. It doesn't have proper unit tests either (just apparently AFL).

wow that is so "on topic" that in a thread called "completely off topic" it must be off topic, or wait hang on if it's on topic it's off topic but if it's off topic it belongs here but it's on topic, so it doesnt belong here
Does not compute does not compute
error error
self destruct imminent

Board footer