You are not logged in.

#2576 2019-02-10 22:24:59

ohnonot
...again
Website

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

S7.L wrote:

Oh it must be true, its in wikipedia!!! lol

I knew someone would bring that up sooner or later.

you could say the same about the Encyclopaedia Britannica - it's also a limited amount of people deciding what goes in and what doesn't.
Or about the Bible.

And you would be right on all counts.

But it's an argument for apathetic people who have lost the will to constantly question and analyze what they are being served - they just reject everything by default.

No, the real skill is in being able to recognize when one is being lied to or when somebody twists the facts or reports them lopsidedly to suit their agenda.

I was following the Cambridge Analytica scandal when it happened, weeks before the news about facebook abusing user data hit the mainstream media. News from 3 different countries, daily.
Oh, it did happen.
And that wikipedia article pretty much sums up what I remember.

Anyhow, for me personally the worst thing, the biggest scandal was this:
What they are doing isn't even illegal.
Creating fake content made out to look like it's coming from real people, to sway people's opinions: not illegal.
Targeting said fake content through personal data analysis: not illegal.
Buying all this as a service to win elections: not illegal.

That's what really got me.

The only palpable boo-boo was that Europeans are not allowed to meddle in the USA elections, and Facebook "accidenatally" overlooking that they sold private data they shouldn't have.

And a few days later Cambridge Analytica is back under a different name.

#2577 2019-02-10 22:45:31

damo
....moderator....

ohnonot wrote:
S7.L wrote:

Oh it must be true, its in wikipedia!!! lol

I could have given a lot of other sources, but that wiki page kind of condenses it to one place.

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#2578 2019-02-10 23:33:38

THX1138

When people have a go at Wikipedia I have often asked them to point out where the glaring inaccuracies are. so far I have found none. I have found pages where the explanation is too convoluted, and I have done edits to simplify and correct the language. I cannot think of exact examples but usually correct things such as "the train that was supposed to arrive before but arrived after was followed by the train that was supposed to arrive after but arrived before". I usually edit it to something simpler and more logical.

On that page about CA though it says
"Channel 4 News, a news programme broadcast by the British public service Channel 4, conducted a four-month investigation into Cambridge Analytica"
now there's a source I have great problem with. Channel 4. The witchfinder generals

Last edited by THX1138 (2019-02-10 23:37:37)

The telephone is an antiquity - you never know who is calling, there is no image, it is an outmoded product which constantly disrupts work (Ralf Hutter (Kraftwerk)) ps: my wife knows how much I dislike being disrupted at Work - Ralf Hutter hit the nail on the head there

#2579 2019-02-11 04:37:32

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

Well no matter what the outcome in the short term, all these things will work themselves out *most of the world* is outside the EU with no deal & they typically seem to manage.

Hope @damo doesn't suffer health-wise though.

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#2580 2019-02-11 10:25:36

S7.L

^ ok fair enough ohnonot, damo, thx.

#2581 2019-02-11 11:31:23

earlybird
ほやほや
Website

ROFL, I am currently engaged in a business-related email conversation and within the thread I just received an email reading as follows:

XXXX would like to recall the message 'SUBJECT'

So, to get this straight, Exchange/Outlook has a mechanism to recall messages (delete messages on the other end) after they've been sent -- probably only works if both sides are using Exchange or something compatible, but it's kind of scary that somebody insinuates to delete data that has entered my sphere of control. Proper email etiquette is to send messages only after thinking and be polite about mistakes smile

With message recall, a message that you sent is retrieved from the mailboxes of the recipients who haven’t yet opened it. You can also substitute a replacement message. For example, if you forgot to include an attachment, you can try to retract the message, and then send a replacement message that has the attachment.Reminds me of those Gmail email messages with expiration dates. Weird trends.

Message recall is available after you click Send and is available only if both you and the recipient have an Office 365 or Microsoft Exchange email account in the same organization.

On behalf of the sender, messages are deleted in MY inbox…if my company is using MS Exchange.

#2582 2019-02-11 11:51:24

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

^Are you sure it is really deleted on your computer, or is it deleted only on server, before your client retrieved it?

I don't know how MS Exchange works, but in linux parlance: when I send an email from my client (on my computer), it waits on server in a message spool (and yes, this spool is most of the time named after recipient). Now, until recipient actually fetches (and sees) this email, I would argue that deleting the message from the spool is not so awful ... The IRL analogy would be intercepting the mailman and asking him to give you the email you have sent to someone. IMHO, not so wrong, as it sounds. Not once I have forgot to attach the document I'm talking about in an email ops

(Of course, I know there are other possibilities for email exchange ... but this seems to be the most frequent way.)

But I fully agree on the point that person writing email should be careful and write the message with caution.

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..

#2583 2019-02-11 14:57:31

S7.L

^ i think some people forget that recalling ms soft emails can only work inside the companies intranet not the internet!

#2584 2019-02-11 15:28:16

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

^Perhaps. I'm not familiar with the MS Exchange.

Nevertheless, from what I saw, there is some sort of a server involved in process ... server which is neither sender computer, nor recipient computer ...

Note: I don't defend MS Exchange and email revoking/deleting ...

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..

#2585 2019-02-11 18:57:19

ohnonot
...again
Website

earlybird wrote:

ROFL, I am currently engaged in a business-related email conversation and within the thread I just received an email reading as follows:

"Make me unsay it"
big_smile

#2586 2019-02-11 19:36:56

THX1138

ohnonot wrote:
earlybird wrote:

"Make me unsay it"
big_smile

I laughed

The telephone is an antiquity - you never know who is calling, there is no image, it is an outmoded product which constantly disrupts work (Ralf Hutter (Kraftwerk)) ps: my wife knows how much I dislike being disrupted at Work - Ralf Hutter hit the nail on the head there

#2587 2019-02-11 20:35:18

Sector11
The Tpyo Knig Mod

↑↑ Kinda like: Make me unsee it!

BunsenLabs Forum Rules ---== I'm a Conky 1.9'er ==---
System:    Host: d67 Kernel: 4.9.0-9-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 6.3.0)
Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)

#2588 2019-02-12 07:48:43

earlybird
ほやほや
Website

OpenBSD makes their own rsync: https://github.com/kristapsdz/openrsync . Well I'm sure I have not needed all the switches of classic rsync, but the TODO list of openrsync is quite long and it's not yet runnable on Linux AFAICT. It doesn't have proper unit tests either (just apparently AFL).

#2589 2019-02-12 13:51:35

S7.L

^ looks interesting, will have to fire up my openbsd partition and have a look at it.

#2590 2019-02-15 18:51:41

THX1138

earlybird wrote:

OpenBSD makes their own rsync: https://github.com/kristapsdz/openrsync . Well I'm sure I have not needed all the switches of classic rsync, but the TODO list of openrsync is quite long and it's not yet runnable on Linux AFAICT. It doesn't have proper unit tests either (just apparently AFL).

wow that is so "on topic" that in a thread called "completely off topic" it must be off topic, or wait hang on if it's on topic it's off topic but if it's off topic it belongs here but it's on topic, so it doesnt belong here
Does not compute does not compute
error error
self destruct imminent

#2591 2019-02-22 08:21:12

twoion
ほやほや

Firefox' history manager is crap; when deleting all results of a big search from the library by pressing Del the library AND the browser lock up.

Cue me opening places.sqlite directly in sqlite3 and issueing a DELETE FROM query in SQL; the process completes within a second, doesn't matter how many rows are affected.

Mozilla, fix the obvious problems in your browser before focussing on how pretty it is. I suspect there is a loop deleting all entries from the GUI and then deleting associated rows from the database…

What can you see / On the horizon?

#2592 2019-02-23 07:45:25

johnraff
nullglob
Website

twoion wrote:

fix the obvious problems in your browser before focussing on how pretty it is

Not only Mozilla of course...

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#2593 2019-02-26 19:35:55

misko_2083

Folks, sorry for being absent on the forums lately.
I don't feel like siting in front of the computer for a long time.
I have an electric heater but I can only heat one room at a time.
It's cold outside and the heating system is nonexisting.
We do pay regularly every month and instead of radiators we get "coldiators".
Touching them it makes you feel even colder, because they are colder than the walls.
So we spend more on electricity to keep us warm.
It's one of those "benefits" of living in a country with a totalitarian regime, the banana republic, as we call it.

The legal system of this country broke  the moment when the court ruled that someone had stolen an ID card of Andrej Vučić (brother of the current president), and on that basis he opened the company in his name and for five years properly paid his taxes and contributions, salary and a warm meal without Andrej knowing this.
After that, all went downhill.

Kids are freezing in the schools, they have to wear jackets in the class.

This post could go on for kilometers about all the injustice that is going on right now and the humiliation we receive from our politicians and bureaucracy for years and years...

Anyway, I whish you all to stay well and make the spin even better.
Until we meet again, Miško.

#2594 2019-02-27 20:27:21

ohnonot
...again
Website

international news is so opportunistic.
i cannot find anything current on "serbia Andrej Vučić" - there's something in serbian, but i'm not so good with that...
are you saying the goverment just collapsed in serbia? that should be international news...

#2595 2019-02-28 20:43:38

ohnonot
...again
Website

hello hachiko, welcome to bunsenlabs!
please introduce yourself in the introductions section of the forum, maybe also a few words about what operating system you use (no worries, everything is welcome).

#2596 2019-03-01 01:11:50

hhh
Meep!
Website

twoion wrote:

Mozilla, fix the obvious problems in your browser before focussing on how pretty it is. I suspect there is a loop deleting all entries from the GUI and then deleting associated rows from the database…

It was prettier back in the day, anyway, I don't know that they're even focusing on that or they'd add user theming back.

#2597 2019-03-02 14:53:51

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

I see Oracle have decided to get "helpful"
"You haven't used Java in over 6 months, we recommend you remove it"
OK, but that fails to take into account that machine hasn't been BOOTED in 8 months.. when it gets booted Java gets used...
Nice one, whoever added that check gave no thought to corner cases.

If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#2598 2019-03-02 16:19:57

Martin
Website

Bearded_Blunder wrote:

I see Oracle have decided to get "helpful"
"You haven't used Java in over 6 months, we recommend you remove it"
OK, but that fails to take into account that machine hasn't been BOOTED in 8 months.. when it gets booted Java gets used...
Nice one, whoever added that check gave no thought to corner cases.

Not too bad me thinks. They could have removed your Java without asking.

I had something like that happening to me at work some ten years ago. A particular CAE tool had gone through a bad case of 'molting' and the new version was not backwards compatible with the old one. So we needed to keep both alive to be able to open old projects. Eventually the old one was kept just in case but was not in use. IT support noticed it hadn't been invoked in over a year and removed the binaries. Then I needed it and got a strange error message. I checked licenses and they were OK. When I finally found out what had happened... >:-(

No, they did not re-install the program.

So much for outsourcing IT support.

/Martin

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

#2599 2019-03-02 18:53:05

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

Well you're right, I did at least have the option of updating it instead.

#2600 2019-03-02 23:04:30

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

With time on my hands, at the moment, I am left to ponder the mysteries of the universe. While doing such, an intriguing question occurred. Do vampires fart? I mean they're dead but still, they eat(errrr or at least drink) so it's got to go somewhere. So???

Perhaps this was a post I should've waited to do around Halloween though. tongue

Vll!

Board footer