You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-03 23:31:54

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

SystemRescueCd No more 32 bit support :(

From Distrowatch

Linux. The project's changelog reports: "System is now based on ArchLinux and built using archiso and its dependencies. Kernel and user space programs are now fully 64-bit (dropped 32-bit support).

It's sad to see the support go, though to be fair I seldom reach for it anymore, I can do must of what's needed with a Bunsen live session, but even so, it's really a shame they dropped support, I guess I'll be downloading old archived versions if I need it..

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#2 2019-02-04 02:19:36

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: SystemRescueCd No more 32 bit support :(

Yes, Arch dropped 32bit some time ago. I think Debian-based isos should be OK for quite a while though.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#3 2019-02-04 02:58:04

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

Well, up until really recently SystemRescueCD was Gentoo based, & they still officially support i486, never mind the Arch, have old hardware? Then you're SOL approach. I think they caught old==no-good-kill-it from the systemd people.

Some old stuff is hard to improve on though.. look at all the failed attempts to reinvent brooms, shovels, axes..

I reckon Debian is about the safest distro for 32 bit users though, getting Gentoo onto 32 bit hardware is perfectly doable, just painfully slow. GParted Live has the advantage of being Debian based.  SystemRescueCD *used to be* more versatile though.  The loss of applicability to most of the machines here outweighs the extra functionality it taunts them with.

If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#4 2019-02-07 19:21:03

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

People who dev and maintain any open source project are the final word in where it goes. They do the work, invest their time for however much of a return. Still no shortage of options. Like you mention, archived to whatever else. May have used systemrescuecd, all of once or twice. Bunch of utilities someone can get plenty of other places.

Fondly remember things like Sardu, no shortage of methods for combining however many iso's onto 1 media. Person/people behind sysrescue are just looking to the future, staying relevant while not having to invest an inordinate amount of effort for a minority niche. Will remain no shortage of ways to fill any void left.

Vll! smile

#5 2019-02-07 20:25:42

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

I'm just sad to see 32 bit support go away in whatever places it's started to, there's still useful 32 bit hardware about, once software is gone it ceases to be useful. Yes completely it's down to any given project where it goes, & I suspect in this case it was more a desire to switch from Gentoo to an Arch base than a direct decision to drop 32 bit support, 32 bit was merely a victim of the change of base distro. 

Just because it's the devs' decision & I have to respect it, doesn't mean I have to like their decision though.  While it was Gentoo based many Gentoo users picked it as where to install from over the official minimal cd, since it's a more comfortable environment than a strictly CLI, not that it won't work still to install 64 bit Gentoo from, I've installed from a Bunsen live session in the past after all any live linux with a new enough kernel will do & Bunsen was new enough at the time. 

I think they ditched their "Unofficial Gentoo install disk" status in the process of switching base though.  They certainly did for i686.

I don't use it as often as I used to, as you almost say

BLizgreat! paraphrased wrote:

bunch of utilities you have or can apt-get in Bunsen Live

I already have current Bunsen on hand. Installing anything I need in that as I go if not there already is quicker than preparing a whole new CD/DVD/USB.

Still sad to see the support go, it's like hearing the announcement that the car your dad took you to the seaside in when you were growing up has gone out of production.  Emotional response rather than a "Big Deal".

#6 2019-02-07 21:00:19

damo
....moderator....

Bearded_Blunder wrote:

Still sad to see the support go, it's like hearing the announcement that the car your dad took you to the seaside in when you were growing up has gone out of production.  Emotional response rather than a "Big Deal".

In many cases that will be accompanied by a huge sigh of relief wink The British auto industry of the 60's and 70's is infamous for its work quality!

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#7 2019-02-07 21:53:58

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

That was mostly problems with QC rather than basic design, so how reliable your example of <insert model> was was pretty much luck, there's a huge potential completely-off-topic thread about said industry.. I think I better not start or participate in it though.

Board footer