You are not logged in.

#51 2018-08-12 14:32:39

glittersloth
...always giving it to you straight

Re: Getting fit at 56

ohnonot wrote:

...hating competitive sports (that includes fitness studios).

Maybe I'm just underexposed in the ways of this modern as-seen-on-Instagram world, but do people seriously compete at a fitness studio? Like they're reenacting some sort of machismo scene from dudebro movies where they compete to see who can lift more at a beachside makeshift gym? That's hilarious!!

Edit:
... or is there some new competitive yoga trend going on?

Last edited by glittersloth (2018-08-12 14:34:49)

#52 2018-08-13 03:35:45

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^Yes yoga will be in the 2024 Olympics.

---
Meanwhile, can you folks read Quora without signing up? If so, this topic:
How do I force myself to eat less if I want to eat a lot?
Most responders - quite rightly - rejected the idea of "forcing", but had various takes on dieting and calories etc...

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#53 2018-08-13 05:06:04

ohnonot
...again
Website

^ seriously?

glittersloth wrote:
ohnonot wrote:

...hating competitive sports (that includes fitness studios).

Maybe I'm just underexposed in the ways of this modern as-seen-on-Instagram world, but do people seriously compete at a fitness studio? Like they're reenacting some sort of machismo scene from dudebro movies where they compete to see who can lift more at a beachside makeshift gym?

i don't know, i never go. it's possible (maybe depends on the place you go to; my female co-workers have some nice stories there).

i should have specified that i include competing with yourself, and i have a strong suspicion that most people do that when working out, be it in a gym or elsewhere.

titan: i hate the sort of web pages you linked to, and watching a sciency guy drawing messy graphs on a whiteboard for 39min is simply too much for my aquired attention deficit.

but i recommend to anyone to try reducing white starchy foods (what everybody calls "carbs", a term i find chemically totally unsuitable) and white sugar of course.
meaning: just leave out that third part that almost every meal consists of, e.g.

1. meat, beans etc.

2. veggies

3. potatoes, rice, pasta, bread etc.

- and have more of the other 2.

#54 2018-08-13 08:07:16

johnraff
nullglob
Website

ohnonot wrote:

^ seriously?

No. tongue

John
--------------------

#55 2018-08-13 09:40:41

cherkie

ohnonot wrote:

but i recommend to anyone to try reducing white starchy foods (what everybody calls "carbs", a term i find chemically totally unsuitable) and white sugar of course.
meaning: just leave out that third part that almost every meal consists of, e.g.

1. meat, beans etc.

2. veggies

3. potatoes, rice, pasta, bread etc.

so, I am definitely not 56, but I have decided to "get fit" recently and I have done so at my current age of 27.

Why? I have looked in the mirror at my growing belly and decided if I don't stop it now I will have a hard time stopping it in the near future.

I am 195cm tall (6'5") and I weighed 96kg which is around 213 lbs (I think, I only use units that make sense (metric)). So I wasn't overweight but I have detected that I am slowly putting weight on.

First step - stop eating dairy entirely. I have swapped to hemp milk a long time ago.
Second step - do bodyweight exercise routine - calisthenics beginner workout 
Third step - eat LESS - I had calculated my TDEE and it was around 2700kcal/day and I could easily eat around 3k+. Bear in mind it was never junk food or loading on sugar/sweets, I just ate a lot of good stuff.

What I eat:

Limiting carbs, but not getting crazy about it, switched my bread to rye bread, loading on vegetables during the day, also having a banana, apple and sometimes couple of plums a day.
Other than that everything is home made from scratch, no ready meals, microwaveable meals, as little processing as possible.

What I do:

In addition to the aforementioned exercise 3times/week I walk to and from work 2.3km each way. It's a brisk walk with average pace 9min/km. Plus I walk in the evenings when I don't workout.

This alone made me drop to 90.7kg in just under 2 months at which point I have started to increase protein intake to supplement my workouts and I have gone up to 92kg now.

Belly is smaller, some bulk is appearing, but I am not going full bodybuilding bulk, just a bit of shape. Got a short term goal of being able to do unassisted pullups, so I kind of like what I am doing right now.

Also, stopped video games, started meditating some time ago (but that's a different story)

#56 2018-08-13 16:55:57

titan

ohnonot wrote:

titan: i hate the sort of web pages you linked to, and watching a sciency guy drawing messy graphs on a whiteboard for 39min is simply too much for my aquired attention deficit.

It is a pity about the video, Ted Naiman can be sciency but not in this video he has successfully treated over 2000 obese and diabetic  patients. The video  explains quite comprehensively in plain language the affects of the three macro nutrients on your body. People tend to be more motivated if they know why they are doing something.

Carbohydrates (carbs) is the correct name for any food that is predominately sugar which includes all grains and starches as well as simple sugars. Most grains and rice have a higher glycemic index than sugar. ie worse as they are more insulinemic.

Last edited by titan (2018-08-13 20:00:43)

#57 2018-08-13 23:03:45

hhh
That's it!
Website

#58 2018-08-13 23:36:50

glittersloth

I'm clearly going to the wrong gym*. All I see every time is Madam Lim** on the eliptical.
I just run, row, maybe pedal, and then jump in the pool.

* It's technically the gym in my apartment building, not some trendy selfie-friendly public gym.
** She's a complete badass at mahjong. Not a lady you'd wanna mess with.

johnraff wrote:

^Yes yoga will be in the 2024 Olympics.

If only yoga was more Streetfighter Dhalsim and less Lululemon. I'd totally watch that.

#59 2018-08-14 03:46:36

johnraff
nullglob
Website

I think most Asians would regard a meal without rice as just a snack. I'm starting to come round to that feeling too - I insist on having some rice, bread or potatoes if it's going to be considered a meal. Just eat less of the other stuff, and have a good mixture of all kinds of food. Agree that brown bread is better than white, and in general less processed food is better for you.

I understand cutting down on carbohydrates has been demonstrated to be effective in reducing weight, but I'm not going to be convinced that sugar is less harmful than starch. It definitely packs more calories per gram. Fat, even more so - that's why our bodies like it, because we're programmed to get nutrition. Just cut down on the total calories, to match your body's needs.

Some of these "diets" seem to have been invented by people who just want a justification for eating the things they like best.

John
--------------------

#60 2018-08-14 05:55:27

ohnonot
...again
Website

i didn't make it even half-way through, even though it's clearly written for low-attention-span dimwits. makes me wanna puke. the jargon! the peer pressure! yuck yuck yuck.

titan wrote:

Carbohydrates (carbs) is the correct name for any food that is predominately sugar which includes all grains and starches as well as simple sugars.

"correct"? i know how the term is being used, but from a chemical point of view it doesn't make sense, because everything we eat is predominantly carbohydrates (and H2O of course). also proteins and fat are carbohydrates. ask a chemist.

@johnraff: the point these people are making is that "carbs" are just as bad as sugar. i tend to agree - it makes zero sense to drop sugar, then stuff yourself with pasta. white rice isn't much better, but usually goes along with good, healthy asian cuisine.

#61 2018-08-14 08:49:12

titan

ohnonot wrote:

from a chemical point of view it doesn't make sense, because everything we eat is predominantly carbohydrates (and H2O of course). also proteins and fat are carbohydrates. ask a chemist.

Unfortunately the facts don't support your opinion.

#62 2018-08-14 15:43:54

glittersloth

johnraff wrote:

Some of these "diets" seem to have been invented by people who just want a justification for eating the things they like best.

Either that or they just want to put their name (looking at you, Atkins) on something.

I do however feel that the average modern day person eats quite a lot. This doesn't apply to just the stereotyped "supersize me" American diet, but food everywhere. Just look at the size of the average ramen serving. I reckon even NBA sized guys would be full with that. Someone smaller like me (5'10", 61kg) feels like he just ate a whole car (a greasy diesel one at that). Also notice that many people tend to eat the wrong kinds of food at the wrong time of day, particularly dinner/supper time.

I tend to have a single meal a day (not hard, just watch world news to lose your appetite), possibly augmented with a malt or fruit shake in between, maybe add a slice of toast if I've had more activity and am feeling really hungry. No hipster coffee or anything like that (because even their double shots are weaksauce). None of that soylent nonsense either. Heard it makes you go insane. Don't drink alcohol on a daily basis anymore. Maybe a G&T or Guiness on the weekend (along with a couple of RYO cigs), depending on weather, obviously a bit more than that if I'm out at a pub/club somewhere, but that's pretty rare these days.  Usually have a little squirt of energy gel before a long run or ride, combined with a drink made from honey, fruit salts and water. Nothing else.

I try not to think about stuff like this too much. Makes me feel revoltingly first world. I mean, the average bloke in Somalia doesn't have the luxury of finding out he's developed lactose intolerence, does he?

Last edited by glittersloth (2018-08-14 15:48:03)

#63 2018-08-14 17:37:27

ohnonot
...again
Website

titan wrote:

Unfortunately the facts don't support your opinion.

i'm not questioning the meaning, i just think it's a poor choice of word, since (to my ear) it suggests "something that consists mainly of carbon and hydrogen" - and that certainly holds true for all our food, our bodies, and most of nature.

i have been carrying this discrepancy around with me since my highschool days, when i learned the basics of organic chemistry.

having researched this a little now, i find that there's also something called "hydrocarbons", and then also "hydrocarbyls" etc. etc., so the terminology seems to be more precise than i thought (but, imo, counterintuitive).
anyhow, you win, i rest my case.
we should all eat the titan diet from now on.

glittersloth wrote:

I mean, the average bloke in Somalia doesn't have the luxury of finding out he's developed lactose intolerence, does he?

this is a very important aspect, something i'd like to talk more about if it wasn't so difficult (danger of being discriminating etc.).
is nutritional disease a cultural thing?

#64 2018-08-15 00:36:29

johnraff
nullglob
Website

OffTopic/

ohnonot wrote:
glittersloth wrote:

I mean, the average bloke in Somalia doesn't have the luxury of finding out he's developed lactose intolerence, does he?

this is a very important aspect, something i'd like to talk more about if it wasn't so difficult (danger of being discriminating etc.).
is nutritional disease a cultural thing?

My understanding was that there's a certain enzyme needed to digest milk, and while most people in the west keep it all their lives, a substantial percentage of Africans (a genetically very wide grouping of course) lose it after weaning. I think a lot of Asians lack it too. Nothing cultural about it, and I don't think it's racist to refer to such things, any more than to say that Japanese tend to have more melanin in their skins. (My wife will turn brown after one day in the sun!) Japanese also seem to have a higher percentage of people who lack what it takes to process alcohol, so that it remains in their bodies as acetaldehyde for a long time and drinking is very unpleasant for them. (The others do their best to make up though - or did anyway, younger people are drinking less now.)

But as ohnonot says, in today's world it's very difficult to discuss topics like this without being possibly considered a racist.

Haile Selassie wrote:

Until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned, everywhere is war. And until there are no longer first-class and second-class citizens of any nation, until the colour of a man's skin is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes...

John
--------------------

#65 2018-08-15 09:54:56

titan

Humans are smart they have evolved over the last 3 million years. An 80kg male can only store around 400g of glucose, around 1600 Calories, and at a lean 10% body fat 8kg of fat say 75,000 Calories, with average population percent fat being nearer 30% so well over 200,000 Calories. why is fat not our main fuel? Can we reverse this and start tapping into our fat stores. Yes it is simple just remove insulin from your bloodstream.

#66 2018-08-20 02:36:47

hhh
That's it!
Website

Reverse breathing, I should have mentioned it earlier. The first step in Tai Chi. At rest, your belly expands as you breath in. In reverse breathing, you suck your belly in a bit as you inhale and push your abs on your stomach as you exhale. Feel an energy circle from your anus, up your spine, over your shoulders through your nostrils and out of your pee-hole as you breath out. big_smile  Do this half an hour a day...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont … HPCcd3X_1U

-edit- The hand movements, he doesn't explain them. Imagine you're pushing a basketball down. You can also push the basketball out forwards on the exhale.

-edit 2- Commie bullcrap clip. There's breath of fire somewhere in the film, but I can't find a whole clip of it. Anyway, your daily dose of '70s liberalism!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ooboieA_eE

-edit3- lol, Tom Skerritt, very very young there.

#67 2018-08-21 03:04:39

hhh
That's it!
Website

If you can avoid falling, running into things, and getting hit by a car, bike delivery is a great way to stay in shape. It's not going to make you rich, but it will keep you fit.

0_strava930440824.th.jpg

Upper right corner of the route is where I live, I took the scenic route west around Hampton Park and then south to work, that's the jagged X downtown. The rest are my deliveries, including The SC Aquarium, upper King Street and The Battery. We were slow today, it's usually busier.

The ride home criusing the Eastside is a tad under 3 miles, takes about 15 minutes, and there are no hills. Did I mention I love Charleston? I love Charleston. I don't need to own a car here, it's warm, it's flat, I bike. Uber to the airport, gone.

-edit- More pictures of this gorgeous town and a few of its surroundings...
https://scpictureproject.org/charleston-county/

-edit2- The Pirate House is maybe my favorite residence downtown, but there are dozens of contenders. It's 2 blocks from where I work...
https://scpictureproject.org/charleston … house.html

#68 2018-08-22 14:30:48

glittersloth

Drunken martial arts, anyone? Keep fit while being drunk. Nothing could possibly beat that, right? I'm regretting not taking it up as a kid.

#69 2018-08-22 15:32:51

PackRat
jgmenu user Numero Uno

hhh wrote:

If you can avoid falling, running into things, and getting hit by a car, bike delivery is a great way to stay in shape. It's not going to make you rich, but it will keep you fit.

https://cdn.scrot.moe/images/2018/08/21/0_strava930440824.th.jpg

Upper right corner of the route is where I live, I took the scenic route west around Hampton Park and then south to work, that's the jagged X downtown. The rest are my deliveries, including The SC Aquarium, upper King Street and The Battery. We were slow today, it's usually busier.

The ride home criusing the Eastside is a tad under 3 miles, takes about 15 minutes, and there are no hills. Did I mention I love Charleston? I love Charleston. I don't need to own a car here, it's warm, it's flat, I bike. Uber to the airport, gone.

-edit- More pictures of this gorgeous town and a few of its surroundings...
https://scpictureproject.org/charleston-county/

-edit2- The Pirate House is maybe my favorite residence downtown, but there are dozens of contenders. It's 2 blocks from where I work...
https://scpictureproject.org/charleston … house.html

Ride across the bridge and tour the USS Yorktown.  monkey

Last edited by PackRat (2018-08-22 15:34:00)

You must unlearn what you have learned.
    -- yoda

#70 2018-08-22 21:58:35

hhh
That's it!
Website

I've been to Patriot's Point a lot and when I want to beach I bike to Sullivan's Island. The Yorktown is on my list, I hear it makes for a fun and educational day. smile

Drunken Master and Drunken Master II FTW, sloth-san solo!

-edit- @PackRat, the thing about the Ravenell is that it's a mile and a half to the apex going east, but only a mile coming back west a.k.a. MUCH STEEPER! On a steel-frame single speed bike in Charleston humidity, it is a workout coming back after beaching it all day. Sometimes I take the water taxi back, they let you bring bikes aboard.

#71 2018-08-23 02:54:21

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Maybe I mentioned sleep before, but this article just appeared:
Poor sleep makes people pile on the pounds, study finds

Also, coconut oil isn't so good for you.

John
--------------------

#72 2018-08-23 04:56:27

ohnonot
...again
Website

i also mentioned sleep before.
interesting to see the scientific explanation; i always find that lack of sleep wants me to eat more, and esp. easily digestible calorie-rich food, hoping for an energy boost...

too tired to exercise and less self-control when it comes to resisting the temptation of unhealthy snacks.

strong coffee helps reduce appetite, but burns a whole in your stomach.
no, more sleep would be better.

#73 2018-08-24 08:37:38

titan

johnraff wrote:

Unfortunately Harvard is undermining it's credibility with this article and the one last week about low carb killing you which other academics have asked the Lancet to withdraw because of it's inaccuracies poor data and conclusions.

The objection to coconut oil seems to be saturated fat being causal with CVD but the evidence shows CVD is caused by inflammation within the arterial wall. Also the recommendation to replace saturated fat with vegetable oils is not evidence based and contrary to what research shows.

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/51/15/1111

" Reanalysis of unpublished data from the Sydney Diet Heart Study and the Minnesota coronary experiment reveal replacing saturated fat with linoleic acid containing vegetable oils increased mortality risk despite significant reductions in LDL and total cholesterol (TC)."

#74 2019-01-08 20:22:37

hhh
That's it!
Website

Board footer