You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-25 06:19:46

imp2021

Fresh install without internet connection -> incomplete mirror list

When I install without net, the intallation wents through with a 'bad archive mirror' error.
(I'd like to mention that I think that the screenshot you can take in the graphical installer says it is to find under /var/log/mirror_bad_0.png but it's actually under /var/log/installer/mirror_bad_0.png)

bl-welcome runs though, but I can't install (most basically) anything.
So my sources are incomplete.

So this https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=1526 is useful.
(Bur I rather go https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList )

I think this is a bug, because I think the mirror list should be working eather way.

#2 2018-06-25 08:07:22

ohnonot
...again
Website

Re: Fresh install without internet connection -> incomplete mirror list

thanks for reporting this.
just to make sure:
you fixed it yourself by manually adding sources after an offline install?
good.

i think there are reasons why the debian (!not bunsenlabs!) installer works this way.
it is not a bug.

maybe the bl-welcome script should recognize that.
but you can always re-run it manually.

#3 2018-06-25 08:42:42

imp2021

ohnonot wrote:

just to make sure:
you fixed it yourself by manually adding sources after an offline install?

yep.

And after that the system appears to function as intended.

#4 2018-06-25 08:44:55

johnraff
nullglob
Website

...and let's have a think about how bl-welcome might cope with that situation.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#5 2018-06-26 09:23:46

rbh

Hi!

During an installation yesterday, I recived error 2 files was unable to download from deb.debian.org. I was as previous unable to choose my local mirror.

Tried to install without networkconnection. It failed miserable.

Made a new installation attempt with network connection. After configuration, before instalaltion began, I opende a shell and looked att preeseed.cfg.

Changed the lines

d-i mirror/https/hostname string deb.debian.org
d-i mirror/https/directory string /debian

to

d-i mirror/http/hostname string 192.168.xxx.xxx
d-i mirror/http/directory string /ftp.acc.umu.se/debian

And commented out security source.

Now, the installation went ok.

So, it seems that if no mirror is set in preseed.cfg, it is possible to change mirror if it is problem the the default one. (or choose a local mirror....)

I have uncompressed the iso-file and the squashfile, but I have not been able to locate where the preceed.cfg file is in the filesystem for the CD.
I would like to edit the CD and make the change above (and att the same time add mc...)

//regards rbh

// Regards rbh

#6 2018-06-27 06:52:22

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Editing iso files is a whole topic in itself - try some websearching, but it's not simple.
Anyway, the installer preseed.cfg is packed inside install/initrd.gz
The squashfs file holds the live system, which is copied onto the hard disk during the install process, too late to control the installer itself.

John
--------------------

#7 2018-06-27 12:05:50

sleekmason

"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - Calvin Coolidge

#8 2018-06-27 22:07:53

rbh

I have not before thougt about it...

The Bunsenlab installer is depended on a working internet connection.
If my connection is broken, it is a lot easier (and faster) for me to use debian installmedia, make an minimal installation and then use the bunsen netinstall-skript and install bunsen from my local repo.

But I can't se any information about that prerequisite...

The Bunsen installer also wants files from pkg.bunsenlabs.org. I cant find where to change that...

How much more space woud it take to make the installer "selfcontained" (not depended of getting files from outside? I think it would be well worth the extra space. As of now, I am a little reluctant to advice newbies to install Bunsenlabs, if the dont have a very god internetconnection.

Last edited by rbh (2018-06-27 22:08:36)

// Regards rbh

#9 2018-06-27 22:22:40

rbh

ps.

I forgot: "The packages are built and made to be installed on Debian Jessie systems. ", should be changed. Maybe to "latest stable"...,

// Regards rbh

#10 2018-06-28 06:41:48

johnraff
nullglob
Website

rbh wrote:

How much more space woud it take to make the installer "selfcontained" (not depended of getting files from outside?

In fact the iso does already contain the whole system. No packages have to be downloaded. The Debian installer however - on which ours is based - needs an internet connection to set up the apt package management system.

John
--------------------

#11 2018-06-28 07:51:31

ohnonot
...again
Website

rbh wrote:

no, it's not.

#12 2018-06-28 13:25:10

rbh

ohnonot wrote:
rbh wrote:

no, it's not.

I'm using "expert" installation, not sure about error messages from standard installation.

Installation of debian, regular iso, no network cable.
I get no errors.

Installation of debian, netinst iso, no connection outside lan.
I can set mirror server on my lan. That choise is writen to the installed clients sources.list.

Installation of BL,no network cable:
I get error with mirror site, has to go back and tell installer to proceed without mirror server.

Installation of BL, no connection outside lan:
In the gui choosing another mirror than deb.debian.org, has no effect. It does not make the installation try to get debs from another site, it does not change the installers /preseed.cfg. It does not change /target/.../sources.list.
manually editing the installers /preseed.cfg (from tty2 for example), has also no effect.

The last two installations went without errors. Now, the only failed downloads, is the InReleases for the deb sources in sources.list.
But, I end up with only two repo links:
    deb https://pkg.bunsenlabs.org/debian helium main
    deb https://deb.deboan.org/debian-security stretch/updates non-free contrib main

Debian installation in Virtualbox, detects the environment and proposes installation of Virtualbox-ose-guest-X11. Bunsenlabs installation does not. Debian iso allows me to check/uncheck Security updates, Release updates and backports, BL does not. Debian installation let me chose to not install X, BL doesnot.

The Bunsenlabs install isos also give an error when starting up:
    mount: mounting /dev/sda on /media failed: Invalid argument
       umount: can't umount /media: Invalid argument
If I remember correct, it was said that the error has been with Bunsenlabs for a long while. I don't remeber to have seen it on any Debian-iso, and my first Debian installation was with Woody (Debian 3.0)

It would be good if information that user has to add sources later if they do not hav internet connection during installation.

Fixing the error with choosing mirror, would be great.
Saw that Buster is due to january...

Last edited by rbh (2018-06-28 13:36:49)

// Regards rbh

#13 2018-06-28 15:17:24

hhh
That's easy!
Website

rbh wrote:

Saw that Buster is due to january...

You've misread that news! The beginning of the Debian testing/sid freeze process is scheduled to start in January, with the full-freeze scheduled for March.

If they hit those marks, we'll have buster by this time next year at the earliest.

https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-a … 00006.html

#14 2018-06-29 01:32:00

johnraff
nullglob
Website

rbh wrote:

Debian installation in Virtualbox, detects the environment and proposes installation of Virtualbox-ose-guest-X11. Bunsenlabs installation does not.

Virtualbox-ose-guest-X11 was last available in Debian Wheezy. There are no Virtualbox packages in the regular Debian Stretch repositories, although now stretch-backports have arrived.

John
--------------------

#15 2018-07-02 19:19:29

rbh

johnraff wrote:
rbh wrote:

Debian installation in Virtualbox, detects the environment and proposes installation of Virtualbox-ose-guest-X11. Bunsenlabs installation does not.

Virtualbox-ose-guest-X11 was last available in Debian Wheezy. There are no Virtualbox packages in the regular Debian Stretch repositories, although now stretch-backports have arrived.

I think it's nearly a year ago i stopped mirroring Oracles virtualbox packages, getting it from jessie/stretch-backports. Virtualbox is in Debians main jessie repo.

The Debian iso I used: firmware-9.4.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso, did ask me if I wanted to install virtualbox-ose-guest-x11
Seams that image-linking to GoogleDrive aint working..
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_hNGt … OPoljDmYlJ

Obviosly there is  some big differences between Debian installer and Bunsenlabs version.
Not beeing able to choose local mirror during instalaltion, is a bit awkward.

I ran into kernelpanic testing to edit Bunsenlab install iso, will not have time to continue that prohject just now...

Correktion:
virtualbox-ose-guest-x11, was in wheesy. virtualbox-guest-x11, is in jessie/stretch-backports.

Last edited by rbh (2018-07-02 19:24:25)

// Regards rbh

#16 2018-07-04 04:56:37

johnraff
nullglob
Website

rbh wrote:

Obviosly there is  some big differences between Debian installer and Bunsenlabs version.

BunsenLabs uses the standard Debian installer, with some very small configuration differences.

Not beeing able to choose local mirror during instalaltion, is a bit awkward.

Yes, preseeding the mirrors is one of our configuration changes, perhaps the biggest. Other differences of behaviour you may have noticed probably come from that. Our Helium isos were built on 2018/04/28 and use the Debian Stretch installer available at that time.

John
--------------------

#17 2018-11-20 13:30:51

rbh

rbh wrote:

ps.

I forgot: "The packages are built and made to be installed on Debian Jessie systems. ", should be changed. Maybe to "latest stable"...,

On https://www.bunsenlabs.org/installation.html
under heading Package-based install, it still sasys:

[...]
The packages are built and made to be installed on Debian Jessie systems. However, depending on the package, it may be possible to install on the Debian old-stable release Wheezy and current Ubuntu releases.

It ought to be changed to for example:

[...]
The packages are built and made to be installed on Debian stable systems. However, depending on the package, it may be possible to install on the Debian old-stable release and current Ubuntu releases.

Change "Jessie" for stable and "old-stable release Wheezy" för "old-stable release"

// Regards rbh

#18 2018-11-20 14:33:51

earlybird
ほやほや
Website

rbh wrote:
rbh wrote:

ps.

On https://www.bunsenlabs.org/installation.html
under heading Package-based install, it still sasys:

[...]
The packages are built and made to be installed on Debian Jessie systems. However, depending on the package, it may be possible to install on the Debian old-stable release Wheezy and current Ubuntu releases.

It ought to be changed to for example:

[...]
The packages are built and made to be installed on Debian stable systems. However, depending on the package, it may be possible to install on the Debian old-stable release and current Ubuntu releases.

Change "Jessie" for stable and "old-stable release Wheezy" för "old-stable release"

Good points. Will fix it soon (https://github.com/BunsenLabs/website/issues/10). Thanks for pointing this out.

Board footer