You are not logged in.

#451 2018-09-05 23:25:44

obscurant

Re: What are you reading right now?

Everything Trump Touches Dies, by Rick Wilson. It's deliciously savage.

#452 2018-09-07 18:12:47

ohnonot
...again
Website

Pirx wrote:

"Leviathan Wakes" - first part of "The Expanse" series.

first part?
nice, you have a lot to read til the last part.
i did it, it was great.
we discussed it in this thread earlier.
i also heartily recommend the tv show.

#453 2018-09-09 00:27:15

hhh
That's it!
Website

Beastie Boys - Sabotage, live on Letterman in '94...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ5yKJlhbiA

#454 2018-09-09 03:04:32

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

hhh wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ5yKJlhbiA

That is the most uninterested looking musician I have ever seen....yes I am looking at you dude on the bass.

I like my Metal like my coffee.......Black!
Resident Metalhead Poser

#455 2018-09-09 20:11:07

Pirx

ohnonot wrote:

first part?
nice, you have a lot to read til the last part.

Actually, I've just started the second part. And I already bought part 3 and 4. smile

hhh wrote:

Is it a novel or a short story? wink

#456 2018-09-18 10:49:31

S7.L

http://openbookproject.net/thinkcs/python/english3e/

How to think like a computer scientist.

Im no programmer but ive read learning python is a good first step. Hopefully this book is a good primer, it sounds interesting so far.

#457 2018-09-19 05:45:47

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

Started Solaris by Stanislaw Lem

Resident Metalhead Poser

#458 2018-09-20 17:35:24

ohnonot
...again
Website

^ +1! i'd be interested to hear how you liked it in the end.

#459 2018-09-21 05:42:55

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

ohnonot wrote:

^ +1! i'd be interested to hear how you liked it in the end.

I've been sidetracked by the House on Haunted Hill!

Resident Metalhead Poser

#460 2019-01-16 18:54:05

THX1138

The Strange death of Europe, by Douglas Murray

The telephone is an antiquity - you never know who is calling, there is no image, it is an outmoded product which constantly disrupts work (Ralf Hutter (Kraftwerk)) ps: my wife knows how much I dislike being disrupted at Work - Ralf Hutter hit the nail on the head there

#461 2019-01-17 09:40:23

Jimbo_G

I forgot about this thread, I'm reading The Tartar Steppe by Dino Buzzati

#462 2019-01-18 00:19:25

ratcheer

Centennial by James Michener

#463 2019-01-25 23:06:41

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

Security Now episode 698
<--<<< Sad git.

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#464 2019-01-26 09:24:55

twoion
ほやほや

ohnonot wrote:
twoion wrote:

the translation of the Chinese original feels completely different while reading; while the story and concepts are interesting, the style lacks what I would call literary craftsmanship and appears completely 'flat', without any decorum or elaborate use of words. I don't know whether that's a property of modern Chinese literature altogether, but who knows, I can't read Chinese…

Then there is the actual structure of the book: Across several chapters, an arc with actual characters doing things is built up, just to end in some kind of scientific Q&A session where one party elaborates on some neat science concept and a counterparty interjects and is the one 'being taught a lesson', completely breaking up any character or plot development.  This might actually be a Chinese literary instrument, but who knows. Overall, it's like the sci-fi content is delivered in chunks between chapters where the plot actually moves. Particularly the last third of book I and the first chapters of book II suffered from this kind of delivery style; I'm on page 120 of book II now and it's become much more delectable to read.

i fully agree on all points.
i am listening to the audiobook, in english, and got finally exasperated a few chapters into the second part.
this is boring.
in my mind, i dubbed it "nerd fiction".
i doubt i will pick it up again, but i'm waiting for your report!

After leaving you hanging for almost half a year, I can finally report on having read all books in the trilogy: The Three-Body Problem,  The Dark Forest, and Death's End.

The books are getting gradually better and the third one is a real treat to read. In fact, the gap in quality between the 1st and 2nd is bigger than the one between 2nd and 3rd; I'm assuming the translator finally got the hang of translating.

While there still is the familiar Q&A scheme when two characters of infinite wisdom meet and explain stuff, but esp. Death's End is captivating both in concept and story. Actually, I like it so much that I've reread the third book twice already and am on my third run. After having read it once some of the tension goes missing, but if you let yourself get lost in the story, it'll still be very enjoyable.

In short, the dynamics between Earth, Trisolaris and the Dark Forest and the respective Terran main characters are great and the story is sound. The pacing got much improved in the 2nd book. If you know some science some things may still sound fishy, but the cute Sophon ninja girl from the 3rd book will make up for that smile While probably slightly less cute, 艾AA is another cute girl appearing in the 3rd book. In fact, the third book consists mainly of cute female heroines.

To sum up, the trilogy Remembrance of Earth's Past (地球往事) when read all in a row is a great sci-fi story. Highly recommended.

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

On a different note, I've read Prisoner's of Geography which, while containing some historical information that I didn't know and found interesting, reads like the ramblings of one journalist milking his lifetime topic for yet more literary impact. It feels like a compilation of newspaper opinions (which to an extent it probably is). The content belongs into one feature article and not a 100+ pages book. Not recommended.

A silent kite against the blue, blue sky

#465 2019-01-26 11:12:37

ohnonot
...again
Website

twoion wrote:

After leaving you hanging for almost half a year, I can finally report on having read all books in the trilogy: The Three-Body Problem,  The Dark Forest, and Death's End.

The books are getting gradually better and the third one is a real treat to read.

thanks for getting back.
the mere fact that you hung on to read all of them speaks for it i guess...
i will give it another try eventually.

Before christmas I read
Jo Walton - Among Others.
I'm not sure how much I liked it, but it's worth a read for its extraordinariness and weirdness.
It's full of names of 1960s/70s scifi & fantasy authors & novels; I wrote most of them down and am researching them now.
Names like Roger Zelazny, Samuel R. Delany, John Brunner, Robert Silverberg, Josephine Tey... Currently listening to Babel 17 as audiobook (very low quality, probably ripped from an old cassette).

Now reading
Hannu Rajaniemei - The Quantum Thief
very nice!
quote me from elsewhere:

A surprise find.
Said to be "hard" sci-fi. Idk, but it's a wonderful story.
Next-dimension internet and quantum technology are interwoven into people's physical lives, and that's also an essential part of the plot.
Example: people intuitively adjust how much of their lives they show to others. Passers-by are often only shadows, shrouded in privacy.
Everything that happens is recorded in "Exomemory".
You don't tell someone where the bus station is, you share a co-memory with them.
People have "smartskin".
The story: a heist (and a conspiracy revealed). What do you steal in times like this? Information, time.
I am almost 3/4 through, I hope my praise isn't too early.
It's a trilogy, so two more books to come.

Last edited by ohnonot (2019-01-26 11:13:55)

#466 2019-01-28 03:31:57

hhh
That's it!
Website

The greatest cartoon, ever. Harvey Birdman: Attorney At Law

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wNWVAKwI1E

He laughs at that! Ha Haaa! ... that.

#467 2019-01-28 06:24:14

ohnonot
...again
Website

hhh wrote:

The greatest cartoon, ever. Harvey Birdman: Attorney At Law

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wNWVAKwI1E

He laughs at that! Ha Haaa! ... that.

wrong thread?

#468 2019-01-28 07:36:50

Martin
Website

Hokusai. There isn't much of plot but the illustrations are quite OK. :-)

/Martin

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

#469 2019-01-28 19:00:22

twoion
ほやほや

ohnonot wrote:

Now reading
Hannu Rajaniemei - The Quantum Thief
very nice!
quote me from elsewhere:

A surprise find.
Said to be "hard" sci-fi. Idk, but it's a wonderful story.
Next-dimension internet and quantum technology are interwoven into people's physical lives, and that's also an essential part of the plot.
Example: people intuitively adjust how much of their lives they show to others. Passers-by are often only shadows, shrouded in privacy.
Everything that happens is recorded in "Exomemory".
You don't tell someone where the bus station is, you share a co-memory with them.
People have "smartskin".
The story: a heist (and a conspiracy revealed). What do you steal in times like this? Information, time.
I am almost 3/4 through, I hope my praise isn't too early.
It's a trilogy, so two more books to come.

Just ordered this because what the heck. Will provide feedback after finishing.

A silent kite against the blue, blue sky

#470 2019-02-03 19:32:00

misko_2083

I've just translated a part on the semi-intellectuals for one forum's topic, and realized that my English is rustier than I expected. I couldn't find an English version.

About semi-intellectuals, Slobodan Jovanović

Evaluating him into his most complete and expressive appearance, a semi-intellectual is a man who has neatly, perhaps even with a very good success,
finished school, but in the aspect of the cultural education and moral inlightment, he has almost none.
Whether because of his inherent incapacity or because of a lack of school system, he has not received the incentive for spiritual self-development.
He does not understand or appreciates the spiritual values at all.
He appreciates, therefore, how much he contributes to the success in his life,
and he takes success in the survivalist sense, therefore, completely materialistic.
With the other spiritual values, he also rejects moral discipline, but not entirely,
because the violations of this discipline entail criminal responsibility.
Still, in the moral as well as in the cultural terms, he in essence remained primitive.
Unsoftened by culture, and with a loosed moral break, he has too much crude power.
The school diploma, as a ticket to the intellectual circle, gave him an overly high opinion of himself.

In a social game, this graduate primitive man struggles without scruples,
and with full confidence that he only seeks his right, which the school acknowledged him with.
It suppresses rivals mercilessly as if they were not living beings but material barriers.
He is a good "elbower", - the expression that penetrated into general use simultaneously with the appearance of the semi-intellectuals.
Let's assume that the political ambition has awakened in him, and that he managed to become a minister.
This position could only be snatched with a great push and a headlong extortion, and because of that he would consider it something "his" now.
From his achievement, or rather his prey, he will try to grab as much personal gain as possible.
He will be "corrupt", but he will not be fully aware of this fact: it will look so natural to him and in the right place.
One semi-intellectual, when he heard the talk about his resignation, said: "Who is crazy, to be separated from a full plate?!"
It seemed to him inconceivable that a man would not be using a ministar's position, as it would have been inconceivable that a man should end up hungry next to the fiull plate.
The political ambition of a semi-intelectualist is in fact not political.
It consists only in enabling a person to enrich himself through politics, and to exalt in high positions.
He does not know for any higher or more general goals.
Only when a semi-intellectual emerges to the peak of political success, it is seen how he has morally undeveloped.
In addition to the semi-intellectual who has succeeded, there is also a semi-intellectual who failed.
Even a real intellectual, whether unemployed or neglected, is destined for the opposition.
A semi-intellectual in a such position is more dangerous, he does not know for any moral considerations that would ease his resentment.
It was no coincidence that many of the indignant semi-intellectuals went to the communists.

Semi-intellectual is a sick social phenomenon that has revealed two things:

1. that the cultural pattern requires the addition of a national and political form, which is particularly felt when the influence of these two patterns becomes weaker,
2. a school that is limited to only giving knowledge, without a parallel education of characters, is not able to prevent the emergence of such a social type as a semi-intellectuals.

And half a century later, the "semi-intellectuals",
which Jovanović quite precisely saw and defined,
took political, cultural and intellectual primacy in the society.

Anyway, is this translation understandable?
Google's Translate was awful, because the text had archaic words and expressions.

#471 2019-02-03 21:08:41

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office

@misko_2083; So is this basically saying that by definition corrupted politics is somehow reserved for highly intellectual people (Which would be really hard to define) with extreme moral values (Also very tricky) that tend to go to opera a lot (Ok, that can be checked)?
p.s. Asking as semi-intellectual ... smile

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2019-02-03 21:09:24)

#472 2019-02-03 22:08:41

misko_2083

I can see I'll need to improve that translation. smile

brontosaurusrex wrote:

@misko_2083; So is this basically saying that by definition corrupted politics is somehow reserved for highly intellectual people (Which would be really hard to define) with extreme moral values (Also very tricky) that tend to go to opera a lot (Ok, that can be checked)?
p.s. Asking as semi-intellectual ... smile

No. Not necessarily highly intellectual. What the author says is that the intellectual is not a complete intellectual without the moral and cultural education that will guide him and stop him in becoming corrupt.
He can have a college diploma, even be a good student with good marks, but if he doesn't adopt moral and cultural enlightment he will be semi-intellectual.
Intellectual doesn't step over his rivals, he doesn't want to.
Semi-intellectual doesn't choose his methods to get into higher possitions, even in stepping over the moral boundaries.

No idea how you linked this with the opera. big_smile

^You have given me a lot to think about. Some people have a different understanding of culture.
Culture refers to the entire social heritage of a group of people, that is, to the learned patterns of thinking, feeling and acting of a group, community or society.
Language is a part of the culture, then art and architecture, books, music, tradition (hollidays and rituals), film, diet, behaviour and moral norms...
But there are subcultures that differentiate from the culture of a wider community that subculture belongs to. There are subcultures with all kinds of music whose members share the the same beliefs, customs, values and often the way of dressing, eating, behaving, and moral norms.
Intellectuals can be a part of a subculture too. smile
Linux community is an example of subculture.

Last edited by misko_2083 (2019-02-03 23:16:44)

#473 2019-02-03 23:58:33

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office

misko_2083 wrote:

No idea how you linked this with the opera. big_smile

It appeared to me for a moment that politics might be almost an alias to culture, opera kinda sticks out of that. There is some interesting things to thinker about there, can't shake the feeling that entire humanity seems to be based on some really shaky definitions thought.

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2019-02-04 21:03:10)

#474 2019-02-04 19:11:47

ohnonot
...again
Website

misko_2083 wrote:

I've just translated a part on the semi-intellectuals for one forum's topic, and realized that my English is rustier than I expected. I couldn't find an English version.

About semi-intellectuals, Slobodan Jovanović

Evaluating him into his most complete and expressive appearance, a semi-intellectual is a man who has neatly, perhaps even with a very good success,
finished school, but in the aspect of the cultural education and moral inlightment, he has almost none.
Whether because of his inherent incapacity or because of a lack of school system, he has not received the incentive for spiritual self-development.
He does not understand or appreciates the spiritual values at all.
He appreciates, therefore, how much he contributes to the success in his life,
and he takes success in the survivalist sense, therefore, completely materialistic.
With the other spiritual values, he also rejects moral discipline, but not entirely,
because the violations of this discipline entail criminal responsibility.
Still, in the moral as well as in the cultural terms, he in essence remained primitive.
Unsoftened by culture, and with a loosed moral break, he has too much crude power.
The school diploma, as a ticket to the intellectual circle, gave him an overly high opinion of himself.

In a social game, this graduate primitive man struggles without scruples,
and with full confidence that he only seeks his right, which the school acknowledged him with.
It suppresses rivals mercilessly as if they were not living beings but material barriers.
He is a good "elbower", - the expression that penetrated into general use simultaneously with the appearance of the semi-intellectuals.
Let's assume that the political ambition has awakened in him, and that he managed to become a minister.
This position could only be snatched with a great push and a headlong extortion, and because of that he would consider it something "his" now.
From his achievement, or rather his prey, he will try to grab as much personal gain as possible.
He will be "corrupt", but he will not be fully aware of this fact: it will look so natural to him and in the right place.
One semi-intellectual, when he heard the talk about his resignation, said: "Who is crazy, to be separated from a full plate?!"
It seemed to him inconceivable that a man would not be using a ministar's position, as it would have been inconceivable that a man should end up hungry next to the fiull plate.
The political ambition of a semi-intelectualist is in fact not political.
It consists only in enabling a person to enrich himself through politics, and to exalt in high positions.
He does not know for any higher or more general goals.
Only when a semi-intellectual emerges to the peak of political success, it is seen how he has morally undeveloped.
In addition to the semi-intellectual who has succeeded, there is also a semi-intellectual who failed.
Even a real intellectual, whether unemployed or neglected, is destined for the opposition.
A semi-intellectual in a such position is more dangerous, he does not know for any moral considerations that would ease his resentment.
It was no coincidence that many of the indignant semi-intellectuals went to the communists.

Semi-intellectual is a sick social phenomenon that has revealed two things:

1. that the cultural pattern requires the addition of a national and political form, which is particularly felt when the influence of these two patterns becomes weaker,
2. a school that is limited to only giving knowledge, without a parallel education of characters, is not able to prevent the emergence of such a social type as a semi-intellectuals.

And half a century later, the "semi-intellectuals",
which Jovanović quite precisely saw and defined,
took political, cultural and intellectual primacy in the society.

Anyway, is this translation understandable?
Google's Translate was awful, because the text had archaic words and expressions.

yes, it's understandable!
and thank you, i like it.
it chimes with something i was thinking about today:
that populism isn't political as such.
i also suspect that most people use the term wrong.

a school that is limited to only giving knowledge, without a parallel education of characters, is not able to prevent the emergence of such a social type as a semi-intellectuals.

yes.

and

only thing i don't like is that to Jovanović the term "intellectual" seems to denote "wisdom", and i'm not sure i fully agree with that. but that's just semantics.

#475 2019-02-05 04:06:21

misko_2083

ohnonot wrote:

and

only thing i don't like is that to Jovanović the term "intellectual" seems to denote "wisdom", and i'm not sure i fully agree with that. but that's just semantics.

I had an impression that the word "intellectual" meant educated man rather than "wise".

This position could only be snatched with a great push and a storming extortion, and because of that he would consider it as something in "his own" possesion now.
From his achievement, or rather his prey, he will start stealing.

^Seems more logical now. smile

Board footer