You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-07 21:19:25

wammes
Website

BL arch

If only I knew a way to get bunsenlabs running on arch. I know ArchLabs exists (inspired by BL) but BL is faster and has a better look. BL is very good but I’m just not 100% happy with stretch. A well, maybe I can transfer ArchLabs.

#2 2018-07-08 08:39:00

ohnonot
...again
Website

Re: BL arch

in the early days, bunsenlabs was designed to be a repository or set of packages that can be installed on any (debian-based) distro. not sure if this is still so, or is/was supposed to apply to other distros, too.

there are some bunsenlabs packages on the AUR, but afaics it's not enought to "get it working", and they're unmaintained.

fwiw, a simple openbox setup is what i use. definitely possible.
maybe try archbang instead?
http://archbang.org/
https://sourceforge.net/projects/archba … o/download

Last edited by ohnonot (2018-07-08 08:45:14)

#3 2018-07-08 10:36:29

wammes
Website

ArchBang runs great. Just 146MB memory. Bloody fast and looking great. I run it in a VM now but I’m gonna install it on my SDD. Thanks for the tip. As I understand, Conky is not installed. So if I want to have some bling bling I have to do this myself?

#4 2018-07-09 01:06:39

johnraff
nullglob
Website

ohnonot wrote:

in the early days, bunsenlabs was designed to be a repository or set of packages that can be installed on any (debian-based) distro. not sure if this is still so...

This is still so.

We try to make the whole thing as modular as possible, eg most package dependencies are "Recommends". While of course installing a package like bunsen-configs would imply the user wanted something pretty much like BL, other things can be cherry-picked. Neither LightDM (or any DM) nor PulseAudio are compulsory. (Systemd is built in to Debian these days, so removing that is a more complicated project...)

But of course, BL is based on Debian. Everything is in .deb packages. A BL-like installation on Arch or any other system, while possible, implies a lot more work. (The ArchBang ArchLabs devs have already done this for you of course. smile)

EDIT: I wrote ArchBang above by mistake. I'm not sure about its status - it looks a bit abandoned now. I'd be interested if anyone has a comparison of ArchBang and ArchLabs.

Last edited by johnraff (2018-07-10 02:08:49)

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#5 2018-07-09 02:00:53

DeepDayze

johnraff wrote:
ohnonot wrote:

in the early days, bunsenlabs was designed to be a repository or set of packages that can be installed on any (debian-based) distro. not sure if this is still so...

This is still so.

We try to make the whole thing as modular as possible, eg most package dependencies are "Recommends". While of course installing a package like bunsen-configs would imply the user wanted something pretty much like BL, other things can be cherry-picked. Neither LightDM (or any DM) nor PulseAudio are compulsory. (Systemd is built in to Debian these days, so removing that is a more complicated project...)

But of course, BL is based on Debian. Everything is in .deb packages. A BL-like installation on Arch or any other system, while possible, implies a lot more work. (The ArchBang ArchLabs devs have already done this for you of course. smile)

EDIT: I wrote ArchBang above by mistake. I'm not sure about its status - it looks a bit abandoned now. I'd be interested if anyone has a comparison of ArchBang and ArchLabs.

I am sure @Dobbie03 will chime in here about ArchLabs and also able to answer the OPs question. I myself have had used Archbang in the past and it was pretty solid and as just easy to install like BL is now (but with Arch under the hood).

Last edited by DeepDayze (2018-07-09 02:01:04)

Real Men Use Linux

#6 2018-07-09 05:53:18

hhh
That's easy!
Website

You should PM @dobbie (he's always active in the screenshot forum), he generally only participates in a few threads, but he's very kind and helpful.

You can always unpack the deb files, I'm not sure how hard it is to figure out where to put everything, though.

What specific features from BL do you want on Arch? You can always set up openbox, tint2, conky, xfce4-power-manager, pnmixer on any OS and add the Bunsen themes and Paper icons, or any other theme/icon sets. bunsen-exit is fairly straight forward, or you could use rofr and the rofi -l script that ArchLabs has to go with it, or just add openbox --exit and reboot/restart commands to your menu or shortcuts. bl-alternatives is dependant on debian-alternatives, but you can shortcut to the actual apps you use instead (thunar, firefox, geany, vlc for example).

#7 2018-07-09 13:42:15

ohnonot
...again
Website

johnraff wrote:

ArchBang (...) I'm not sure about its status - it looks a bit abandoned now.

no, it's not.
the latest stable release was 2 months ago.
also you must understand that archbang is not a distro.
it's an archlinux installer.
it adds no extra sources or packages.
in effect, the end result is archlinux.

this means that the installer only really needs to be updated when it might not be compatible with current archlinux anymore. which won't happen very often because so little is fixed in archlinux.
or if the devs simply want to improve it.

Last edited by ohnonot (2018-07-09 13:45:07)

#8 2018-07-10 02:12:38

johnraff
nullglob
Website

ohnonot wrote:
johnraff wrote:

ArchBang (...)  it looks a bit abandoned now.

no, it's not.

You're right - my humble apologies to the ArchBang team. I had a quick look yesterday but must have been dozing because I took all those 2018 dates as being from last year... 1yFKJ9U.gif

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#9 2018-07-10 10:38:09

ohnonot
...again
Website

^ there was a lull in development one or more years back...

#10 2018-07-11 00:28:08

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

Hello All! Currently posting from Broadbeach Waters, Broadbeach, Queensland, Australia.

Regards to the Bunsen look on Arch, just use ArchLabs and install the Bunsen themes and walls and Tint2.  Pretty easy to do.  I'm currently overseas but on my main PC I may still have my configs for the original AL releases that were Arch clones of BL, I am still away for another week and a half.  If you can wait until them I can share them with you, fingers crossed I still have them!

Your dilemma is exactly why I started AL with Toola.

In regards to the comparison of AL vs. BL, in my experience and there is absolutely no shade directed to the BL team, Arch based distros have always been faster than Debian based.  If you are having issues with speed, best option is to open a thread at the AL forum and one of the more experienced users will assist you.

There must be an underlying issue @wammes.  If you are going to open a support thread don't forget to mention what you have tried and post any logs etc.

I thought that the Archbang team had merged with the Artix team? Or Archbang had gone completely systemd-less?

I like my Metal like my coffee.......Black!
Resident Metalhead Poser

#11 2018-07-13 21:38:49

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

@wammes, did you get sorted?

Resident Metalhead Poser

#12 2018-07-14 20:27:19

wammes
Website

No not yet. It's very hot in the Czech Republic and my family needs vacation wink I'm more often away from the computer than before this time. Reading this thread though I think it is very well possible to have the beauty of BL and the fastness of an Arch based distro. I will restore my diskimage of AL soon and see if installing the themes, tint2 and icons do the trick. There is enough info in this thread that is usefull for me. Thanks to everyone that has replied so far. I will keep you posted on my attempts. I must say it will involve some more work, because I also like the colors of the terminal better. Again, first free family time.

#13 2018-07-15 07:22:20

wammes
Website

hhh wrote:

You should PM @dobbie (he's always active in the screenshot forum), he generally only participates in a few threads, but he's very kind and helpful.

You can always unpack the deb files, I'm not sure how hard it is to figure out where to put everything, though.

What specific features from BL do you want on Arch? You can always set up openbox, tint2, conky, xfce4-power-manager, pnmixer on any OS and add the Bunsen themes and Paper icons, or any other theme/icon sets. bunsen-exit is fairly straight forward, or you could use rofr and the rofi -l script that ArchLabs has to go with it, or just add openbox --exit and reboot/restart commands to your menu or shortcuts. bl-alternatives is dependant on debian-alternatives, but you can shortcut to the actual apps you use instead (thunar, firefox, geany, vlc for example).

See my reply to @Dobbie03

Last edited by wammes (2018-07-15 07:25:02)

#14 2018-07-15 07:23:34

wammes
Website

Dobbie03 wrote:

As I wrote, not quite yet. At this moment I run ArchLabs (again). I changed some things and it's almost to my liking. I'm not a big fan of polybar. I LOVE the tint2 bar of bunsenlabs. Also the icons on that bar look great. However, transfering the bunsenlabs tint2 config plus its icons to AL is difficult. I'm not quite sure how to do that. Still struggling wink

#15 2018-07-15 08:05:55

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

wammes wrote:
Dobbie03 wrote:

As I wrote, not quite yet. At this moment I run ArchLabs (again). I changed some things and it's almost to my liking. I'm not a big fan of polybar. I LOVE the tint2 bar of bunsenlabs. Also the icons on that bar look great. However, transfering the bunsenlabs tint2 config plus its icons to AL is difficult. I'm not quite sure how to do that. Still struggling wink

I'm sure (while I am not in front of my main computer) one of the helpful lads who use both Distros will help out. smile

Resident Metalhead Poser

#16 2018-07-31 08:51:49

ohnonot
...again
Website

not sure i'm supposed to be one of those lads?
i use archlinux + openbox + tint2, but no actual bunsenlabs stuff.

wammes wrote:

However, transfering the bunsenlabs tint2 config plus its icons to AL is difficult. I'm not quite sure how to do that.

why is this difficcult?
once you located the bunsenlabs tint2 config, you just copy it over, make tint2 autostart with that config.

what else - icons are missing? different approaches:
a) install icon themes until the icons show up (might not work)
b) edit tint2rc to point to different icons

btw, you'll need to restart tint2 after changing the config, or prod it with this command:

killall -SIGUSR1 tint2

suggestion: bind it to a hotkey.

Last edited by ohnonot (2018-07-31 08:54:53)

Board footer