You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-11 03:09:12

nekoseam

Scenario: BunsenLabs dies, will my install become useless?

If BunsenLabs halts development is there any way to remove the BunsenLabs-specific software and safely switch to pure Debian repositories?

#2 2018-07-11 06:26:34

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: Scenario: BunsenLabs dies, will my install become useless?

No problem. BunsenLabs already uses the standard Debian repositories, and just adds our own to ship the BL packages, the vast majority of which are just configuration, themes and images. You can remove them any time and continue as pure Debian.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#3 2018-07-11 09:27:55

ohnonot
...again
Website

i once did this with crunchbang after it died:
remove crunchbang-specific sources and packages, then dist-upgrade from ... erm, wheezy to whatever the next debian was, iirc.
it wasn't harder than a normal dist-upgrade from one stable verison to the next. things continued to work.
iirc, there was a howto on cb forums, maybe also here?

#4 2018-07-13 04:56:49

hhh
That's easy!
Website

Since it's a migration from a BunsenLabs install, purging bunsen-* would still leave all the configs in /home intact. This means some dead menu entries (all the pipe menus and bunsen-alternative entries) in the main menu.

bl-exit would be removed, so logout/reboot/shutdown would have to be done via systemd and light-locker directly. Not a big deal, actually. You'd also lose some restart entries in the main menu, tint2 and compton come to mind.

Anyway, my current OS is bunsen is exactly what the OP was wondering about, it's BL Helium with all bunsen-* packages removed, upgraded to buster, and it works beautifully...

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=4999
https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic … 241#p74241

#5 2018-07-13 07:54:12

johnraff
nullglob
Website

nekoseam wrote:

If BunsenLabs halts development is there any way to remove the BunsenLabs-specific software ...

Though you don't really have to do this. Even if the project dies, and the repositories go offline, most of the packages are simple configs and scripts, so security upgrades don't come in to the picture. Just uninstall the ones that bother you, and leave the rest. Certainly edit out the BL repos from your apt sources lists though, just in case some villain takes them over...

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#6 2018-07-13 08:16:54

hhh
That's easy!
Website

^ Thanks for that, I was going to post the same but I'm glad I didn't. You phrased it much better than I would have.

Board footer