You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-27 02:04:27

verndog

bunsenlabs keeping me warm

I just installed bunsenlabs just a few days ago. Reason unknown.  Well maybe I was tired of XFCE, LXDE. I have an older PC, and just after Christmas last year, the Linux kernel update made installing my integrated nvidia impossible. There was some hack on kernel 15, but I decided it wasn't worth the hassle. I knew the end was at hand. Legacy-nvidia.

All the other distros were marching on. I noticed installing bunsenlabs, that the kernel is older (like me). Its possible nvidia can come to life once again. nouveau is going a good enough job for now. It would definitely freeze using Ubuntu. Xubuntu is ok, mostly.

Beyond all that, I was surprised at how must I enjoy openbox. I thought Lubuntu was built on top of openbox with lxde mixed in. Tried removing lxde and run openbox only. That didn't go well.

I have several distros installed, but wanted something else. Something I never used before. As my PC is getting older and other distros are heading into the stratosphere, I needed something that just works. bunsenlabs came knocking. It appears openbox is the answer.

What I'm amased at is all these years, and I never tried #!. I knew it existed, and read several conky writings. I thought since I'm not into conky, I'll let it pass. Now after installing bunsenlabs and checking out some conkey scripts, I don't know why I didn't use it sooner.

Conky is a world of its own. I've seen the topics on Ubuntu forums, but it didn't appear much to me.

The real reason I'm excited about bunsenlabs, is its lean. I mean nothing I've ever tried comes close. Its over 100mb leaner than Xubuntu and Lubuntu.

I have manjaro i3-gaps installed, and though it surely must be leaner. Not sure why I thought that, only because its hand driven. Mostly all keystrokes. To my amazement, its heaver than Xubuntu!

I'm excited to learn the ins and outs of this new distro of yours. I love the configuration files and how one can setup bunsenlabs to ones liking.

So most my years have been with Ubuntu, Fedora, and 10+ years ago debian.
Oh, I did start out life using Unix(working for AT&T, oh so many years ago), so vi is my editor of choice.

Bye for now, and thanks for listening, as my mind was in free fall.

Last edited by verndog (2018-05-27 02:05:41)

#2 2018-05-27 02:19:59

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: bunsenlabs keeping me warm

Hi verndog, welcome to the Lab!

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#3 2018-05-27 11:55:53

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Welcome to the Lab, verndog.

verndog wrote:

The real reason I'm excited about bunsenlabs, is its lean. I mean nothing I've ever tried comes close. Its over 100mb leaner than Xubuntu and Lubuntu

Nice! Thanks for the words of support smile

You can trim it down some more:

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic … 119#p72119

I'm not happy unless I see ~180MiB in the screenfetch readout devil

verndog wrote:

I did start out life using Unix(working for AT&T, oh so many years ago), so vi is my editor of choice.

cool

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#4 2018-05-27 17:39:32

Addy
Website

Warm welcome for You smile

If it ain't broke, then tweak it until it breaks.

Board footer