You are not logged in.

#401 2018-03-03 12:09:44

twoion
ほやほや

Re: What are you reading right now?

martix wrote:

^I tied audiobooks several times. No matter what I'm listening to, if it's longer than 20-25 minutes, I always fall asleep. This is why I never have audiobooks in the car.

Likewise; I can't stand audio books. German-speaking countries however have a great tradition in producing "radio dramas" (Hörspiele) which are something else entirely. Admittedly, I like listening to them before bed with my eyes closed, but as a kid used to put them on while doing homework, drawing, tinkering etc. There's a great many original productions and also adaptions of contemporary or classic literature available as Hörspiele; many of these are of very high quality and quite enjoyable. And not at all just for children.

I can't really understand why in contrast to Hörspiele audio books have become so popular as of late; they are dull and listening to them does not substitute for reading the actual book anyway (again, entirely different experience in my opinion, however I can see why esp. people who do not read much or proper stuff might like them). Might as well as listen to something that was actually produced for radio, like actual radio broadcasts or radio dramas.

Wahllos schlägt das Schicksal zu / heute ich und morgen du.

#402 2018-03-03 12:17:50

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

cloverskull wrote:

"A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man"

Love that book smile

It's a semi-autobiographical piece drawing from Joyce's experiences in his own youth and serves as a great introduction for Ulysses.

I wrote:

HoaS is my name,
Debian is my nation.
BunsenLabs is my dwelling place
And Heaven my expectation

glasses

EDIT: Project Gutenberg has the complete text:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/4217/4217-h/4217-h.htm

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2018-03-03 23:21:51)

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#403 2018-03-08 15:17:53

earlybird
ほやほや
Website

I've begun reading Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky. It's a post-apocalyptic science-fiction novel, it's well written (150 pages in) and quite captivating:

A highly evolved human society was once upon a time busy pushing evolutionary boundaries by implementing the so-called Exaltation Project, a plan to seed a set of terraformed earth-like planets with a population of primate apes infected by an engineered virus with the purpose to accelerate and direct the evolution of said primates at a rapid pace to a just below-human level of achievement. However, conservative, anti-scientific factions disagreed with the general direction of the civlization and caused an epic war to break out, in the process of which allmost all of scientific and techonological progress got nullified, most of humanity got killed and Earth experienced an ecological catastrophe, prompting the few survivors, after a short period of recovery, to escape on Ark ships into space. While not coming close to old humanity's degree of sophistication, after 2000 years in space (spent in cryostatis), one particular Ark ship stumbles upon a world on which the Exaltation Project is moving forward at full speed (but exalting insects and not monkeys!), and interesting things go on to happen. (← Haven't read much further yet.)

So far, a highly recommendable book.

#404 2018-03-11 11:40:49

ratcheer

Patriot Games by Tom Clancy. It's about 30 years old, but very good.

Tim

#405 2018-03-11 11:42:39

twoion
ほやほや

ratcheer wrote:

Patriot Games by Tom Clancy. It's about 30 years old, but very good.

Tim

I read some of his books during the early 2000s (childrens' literature :^). I remember them to be a) many pages long and b) captivating. I only read translations though. No idea if I'd still like them today.

#406 2018-03-17 01:54:05

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Fred Gassit cartoons:

http://fredgassit.tripod.com/

My favourite is this one.

#407 2018-03-17 11:12:32

twoion
ほやほや

earlybird wrote:

I've begun reading Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky. It's a post-apocalyptic science-fiction novel, it's well written (150 pages in) and quite captivating:

A highly evolved human society was once upon a time busy pushing evolutionary boundaries by implementing the so-called Exaltation Project, a plan to seed a set of terraformed earth-like planets with a population of primate apes infected by an engineered virus with the purpose to accelerate and direct the evolution of said primates at a rapid pace to a just below-human level of achievement. However, conservative, anti-scientific factions disagreed with the general direction of the civlization and caused an epic war to break out, in the process of which allmost all of scientific and techonological progress got nullified, most of humanity got killed and Earth experienced an ecological catastrophe, prompting the few survivors, after a short period of recovery, to escape on Ark ships into space. While not coming close to old humanity's degree of sophistication, after 2000 years in space (spent in cryostatis), one particular Ark ship stumbles upon a world on which the Exaltation Project is moving forward at full speed (but exalting insects and not monkeys!), and interesting things go on to happen. (← Haven't read much further yet.)

So far, a highly recommendable book.

Finished Children of Time. Still highly recommendable.

Additionally, I've finished Station Eleven whilst wishing I had paid better attention when buying it since there's much less science in there than fiction which is the actual focus of the book. Being a doomsday novel, it deals with the absence of technology rather than with the presence of it, and a whole lot more with people's attitudes (an important point of SF for me being that the individual fades into the background and is at most just as important as the scenario, but never more important). That's without doubt a fine approach but quite opposed to what I want from the genre – it's a novel written by a generic novelist rather than a science-fiction writer.

That being said, the work on its own is ok but doesn't include any unprecedented or especially witty themes. I can't recommend it from a SF perspective but if you enjoy how people deal with the absence of science, a human mass-extinction event and much fiction to distract themselves, then you might want to pick this one up.

#408 2018-03-17 11:22:24

twoion
ほやほや

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Fred Gassit cartoons:

http://fredgassit.tripod.com/

My favourite is this one.

Comics! For me, a very wholesome genre dominated by French and Belgian artists (and Don Rosa and Carl Barks). My favourites are Spirou and Fantasio, anything drawn by Don Rosa and Yoko Tsuno by Roger Leloup.

wismut:~/lib/lit/comics 
 $ ls
Asterix & Obelix
Fix & Foxi
Gaston
Marsupilami
Scrooge McDuck (Don Rosa)
spirou
Spirou & Fantasio
Valerian & Veronique
yoko_tsuno

#409 2018-03-17 18:25:24

ohnonot
...again
Website

twoion wrote:
Fix & Foxi

i totally forgot about them!
they were there in my childhood & youth just like donald duck & co, and i never even realized that they are not of the same global comic heritage.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRP63-ryouMvOkPR_Y80KCEdL4g3Bq7hM7V4vbwVpUzqJcSCSek

#410 2018-03-17 18:55:28

twoion
ほやほや

ohnonot wrote:
twoion wrote:
Fix & Foxi

i totally forgot about them!
they were there in my childhood & youth just like donald duck & co, and i never even realized that they are not of the same global comic heritage.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag … UzqJcSCSek

Original German comic stories are very rare. Rolf Kauka is one of the few artists and editors who managed to produce a somewhat coherent, widespread, lasting legacy (though of course behind Erika Fuchs with her Entenhausen-verse translations!). However when it comes to Kauka, I actually find Pauli much more likable than the antics of Fix, Fox, Fax and friends...

A lot of the comic books that Kauka's companies published were translations and rehashes of American comics too, for example Felix the Cat, but also Franco-Belgian ones like Wastl, Spirou, Fantasio, Marisupilami (Kauka renamed the characters to Pit, Pikkolo and Kokomiko which I found very irritating as a child since I didn't really know why).

Then again, my favourite German comics are the very free translations, or rather transpositions because we changed the setting too, of some Spirou comics by Kauka. My all-time favourite is QRN ruft Bretzelburg which is a lovely albeit biased take on German-German-Soviet relations during the Cold War. It was actually first published in a Fix & Foxi comic book, and I still have the original, tattered first edition on my shelves.

Ultimately, Franco-Belgian artists almost always produced the more detailed, beautiful drawings and epic (adult) stories. I'm also a sucker for the charme of the 70s as exhibited especially by the Spirou and Gaston series…

Yoko_Tsuno-18-Die_Stadt_der_Verbannten-Carlsen-Seite_29_Bild_0001.th.jpgYoko-Tsuno---20---Der-Astrologe-von-Brugge-Carlsen_Seite_05_Bild_0001.th.jpgsave.th.png

#411 2018-03-17 19:03:46

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Gon!

#412 2018-03-24 16:07:27

twoion
ほやほや

Finished yet another science-fiction book, Neuromancer by William Gibson. It's where much of the themes of the Matrix movies come from (truly, after reading this book, they seem so much less original), and a whole lot of other pictures seem to rehash tropes from this book (and possibly it's sequel, Count Zero, which I'll read very soon). The book also seems to pioneer (for I don't know better) the kind of speech pattern which the Expanse series calls 'Belter creole', that is the manner of speech used by people born and living not on Earth but in space/orbit.

Currently, I'm reading A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge which even just 60 pages in has the most epic space setting I've seen so far in SciFi literature.

#413 2018-03-24 16:15:38

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

twoion wrote:

Neuromancer

Be sure to check out Snow Crash as well, Neal Stephenson's vibrant debut still resonates strongly today, 26 years (!) after it's publication.

The migrant Raft is particularly prescient hmm

#414 2018-04-14 16:05:00

twoion
ほやほや

twoion wrote:

Currently, I'm reading A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge which even just 60 pages in has the most epic space setting I've seen so far in SciFi literature.

I feel the need to confirm that this is an astounding book with dense, astounding content and interesting ideas.

Meanwhile, I've begun reading Snow Crash as recommended by HoaS, which is also a fantastic but much more grounded book as it's closer to Neuromancer and not a space opera. So far I'm half through, but it already shows that this 1992 novel, as cynical as its take on late stage capitalism, the commercialization of government and the privatization of public serves going as far as dissolving nation states and replacing it with "franchise sovereigns" may be, is alarmingly close to current or expected developments in our present society and economy. The author skillfully layers a healthy dose of humour and jokes on top of the dystopy (utopy?) he's dealing with but without taking the edge of, which is exactly what science-fiction should be like. So far, 10/10 points, and strongly recommended.

DIAL 1-800-THE COPS
All Major Credit Cards

Hon hon hon

#415 2018-04-15 00:00:40

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

^ I like the Rat Thing:

Jack the sound barrier. Bring the noise.

cool

#416 2018-04-21 20:13:34

twoion
ほやほや

twoion wrote:

Meanwhile, I've begun reading Snow Crash

I'm done with Snow Crash, and Neal Stephenson is a damn fine writer (so far, like Vinge and Asimov, the SF writers I've liked most have a background in science – though I'm not trying to establish a causal relationship here). So fine in fact that I've moved on to his novel Diamond Age which is equally well written and hilarious.

A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer

Great stuff.

#417 2018-04-21 20:40:41

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

Consider Phlebas, by Iain M Banks, is currently my now reading on my Kindle

One of the ArchLabs dudes
Obssesive Metalhead and practiced beer drinker
\m/

#418 2018-04-22 09:30:51

ohnonot
...again
Website

^ wasn't that his first?
is it your first iain m banks?
i also read them in chronological order (mostly).
it's been a while, he was still alive then; maybe it's time to re-read them all.

#419 2018-04-22 12:17:20

ratcheer

Fantasy in Death by J. D. Robb. It's a fairly standard murder mystery, but well written.

Tim

#420 2018-04-24 20:16:26

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2018-04-24 20:16:41)

#421 2018-05-05 21:30:50

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

#422 2018-05-05 23:28:59

MALsPa

John F. Kennedy, President by Hugh Sidey.

#423 2018-05-06 00:34:52

ratcheer

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. This is going to take a while. After two days, I'm still in chapter 1.

Tim

#424 2018-05-22 06:12:57

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Fiction: Proxima by Stephen Baxter, brilliant hard sci-fi tale about the colonisation of a planet orbiting Proxima Centuri featuring impressively alien aliens and a sentient smart matter space probe.

Non-fiction: Robust Monte Carlo Methods For Light Transport Simulation by Eric Veach.

#425 2018-05-22 06:27:12

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

ratcheer wrote:

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. This is going to take a while. After two days, I'm still in chapter 1.

Tim

I have read that book a number of times.  Highly enjoyable

One of the ArchLabs dudes
Obssesive Metalhead and practiced beer drinker
\m/

Board footer