You are not logged in.

#2076 2017-10-30 12:19:11

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!
Registered: 2015-10-03
Posts: 1,217

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Just came to hang out with the BL nixers for awhile. Keep hearing ya'll have cookies somewhere around here or was it biscuits ? Though kinda remember somebody, think it was Damo would kill anyone who touches them too. Dang those much must be some really good biscuits ! tongue

Heya fellows, stumbled into an interesting topic to boot. One word for you, lobbyists, well guess they're called by different names, "special interest groups" this, that, yada, yada. Don't know what they're referred to across the pond ole chap. Different word, same thing.

Remember some epic babbling rants about M$ getting 9bil just from the U$ govt's contracts, software licenses and presumably some kinda support offering comes with that kind of price-tag. When they could switch to open source and get better for free !

Yep ... more babble, aren't there some open source kinda windows thingys out there now. Google .. ReactOS ? Have no idea what it is anyway. Besides Hoas already found an acceptable work-around. Go figure. wink

Really do think it's traitorous what they're doing with M$, tax-payers forced to pay for window$, M$ passes some of the cash back to the decision makers and whamo, everybody's happy. Except the folks going to bed hungry or cold. Nine BILLION bucks buys A LOT of blankets and vittles !

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-10-30 12:29:15)

Offline

#2077 2017-10-30 12:59:15

iMBeCil
WAAAT?
From: Edrychwch o'ch cwmpas
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 767

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

BLizgreat! wrote:

Just came to hang out with the BL nixers for awhile. Keep hearing ya'll have cookies somewhere around here or was it biscuits ? Though kinda remember somebody, think it was Damo would kill anyone who touches them too. Dang those much must be some really good biscuits ! tongue

yikes Cookies? BLizgreat ... is that really you? I would expect, from someone as you, to be here entirely because of beer ... as I am.  tongue

Or ... cookies as in 'brownies'?  monkey  monkey


Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..

Offline

#2078 2017-10-30 13:32:41

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!
Registered: 2015-10-03
Posts: 1,217

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

^ LMAO Imbecil ... if I'd known there was beer too ! big_smile

Offline

#2079 2017-10-30 16:25:56

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid
From: Upstairs
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 6,157

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

So $DEPEDNENT_MINOR started secondary school last month and it turns out that the teachers are all big fans of Microsoft's Office suite — we get homework to view in the form of PowerPont .pptx & Word .docx files  mad

I refuse to install Windows again so I have to resort to gmail's Google Docs, it really is quite ridiculous.

I feel a righteous email coming on...

Personally I would send a 'righteous' email explaining that NOTHING MS is acceptable in this household.  Please send assignment as a text file or print out a copy for my $DEPEDNENT_MINOR to carry home.

Then explain that LibreOffice works on Windows, Linux, BSD's, iOS and it's FREE!
Oh and Android too


The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.
_______________________________
Debian 10 Buster = SharpBang ♯!

Offline

#2080 2017-10-30 21:29:23

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 8,759
Website

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Sector11 wrote:

Please send assignment as a text file or print out a copy

Well I don't think we will go that far but a simple PDF file can be read by pretty much anything, heck even my 9front system will display that  glasses

ohnonot wrote:

you really need to get your environment variables right!

lol.

That explains why the substitution wasn't working then...


“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

Offline

#2081 2017-10-30 21:56:33

iMBeCil
WAAAT?
From: Edrychwch o'ch cwmpas
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 767

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

BLizgreat! wrote:

^ LMAO Imbecil ... if I'd known there was beer too ! big_smile

Shhh BLizgreat ... not a word, I'm the only one who knows about the beer. They are hidden in the fridge, behind the milk bottles  wink


Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..

Offline

#2082 2017-10-31 09:21:27

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!
Registered: 2015-10-03
Posts: 1,217

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

^LMFAO ! You are wise fellow nixer, yep ... this is the place to be, cookies and milk, biscuits (that you touch, you die) and a secret stash of beer !:D

Offline

#2083 2017-10-31 13:53:39

jdonaghy
The Manatee Whisperer
Registered: 2015-10-10
Posts: 119

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Does anyone else get annoyed with the security policies for Google accounts? Just because I log in from different locations and different operating systems, I'm constantly being locked out and constantly receiving emails about suspicious activity. I've had to reset my password at least ten times. If they are going to lock me out when I use the correct credentials, what's the point of having the credentials? Drives me crazy.

Last edited by jdonaghy (2017-10-31 13:54:36)

Offline

#2084 2017-10-31 15:06:13

twoion
ほやほや
Registered: 2015-08-10
Posts: 2,841

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

jdonaghy wrote:

Does anyone else get annoyed with the security policies for Google accounts? Just because I log in from different locations and different operating systems, I'm constantly being locked out and constantly receiving emails about suspicious activity. I've had to reset my password at least ten times. If they are going to lock me out when I use the correct credentials, what's the point of having the credentials? Drives me crazy.

There are people who got locked out of their accounts because they relocated to a different country … I did not get locked out while moving between Europe and Japan (4x), but the risk is always there. Essentially, relying on Google Mail without being a G-Suite customer (where you can manage those policies to great detail) is not a good idea.


Per aspera ad astra.

Offline

#2085 2017-10-31 16:27:55

jdonaghy
The Manatee Whisperer
Registered: 2015-10-10
Posts: 119

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

twoion wrote:
jdonaghy wrote:

Does anyone else get annoyed with the security policies for Google accounts? Just because I log in from different locations and different operating systems, I'm constantly being locked out and constantly receiving emails about suspicious activity. I've had to reset my password at least ten times. If they are going to lock me out when I use the correct credentials, what's the point of having the credentials? Drives me crazy.

There are people who got locked out of their accounts because they relocated to a different country … I did not get locked out while moving between Europe and Japan (4x), but the risk is always there. Essentially, relying on Google Mail without being a G-Suite customer (where you can manage those policies to great detail) is not a good idea.

Makes sense, because my VPN will freak them out, too. I have an account on Yandex, so I might just have to start relying on that.

Offline

#2086 2017-10-31 17:00:20

twoion
ほやほや
Registered: 2015-08-10
Posts: 2,841

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

jdonaghy wrote:
twoion wrote:
jdonaghy wrote:

Does anyone else get annoyed with the security policies for Google accounts? Just because I log in from different locations and different operating systems, I'm constantly being locked out and constantly receiving emails about suspicious activity. I've had to reset my password at least ten times. If they are going to lock me out when I use the correct credentials, what's the point of having the credentials? Drives me crazy.

There are people who got locked out of their accounts because they relocated to a different country … I did not get locked out while moving between Europe and Japan (4x), but the risk is always there. Essentially, relying on Google Mail without being a G-Suite customer (where you can manage those policies to great detail) is not a good idea.

Makes sense, because my VPN will freak them out, too. I have an account on Yandex, so I might just have to start relying on that.

Instead of freemail, and not looking at $50+ p.a. professional and business hosting (fastmail, gsuite, kolab, hosted exchange, …), there are lots of good but cheap services for hosted mail, like Runbox (<$15 p.a.), with good privacy features, high availability and personal support. Of course, it's always a personal choice. Since I've moved to using my own domain in 2011, I'm at least free to change email hosters like shoes (or self-host, like I do ATM).


Per aspera ad astra.

Offline

#2087 2017-11-01 04:55:54

jdonaghy
The Manatee Whisperer
Registered: 2015-10-10
Posts: 119

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll take a look at Runbox.

Offline

#2088 2017-11-01 16:14:10

earlybird
ほやほや
Registered: 2015-12-16
Posts: 738
Website

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Signal now wants to be used as an Electron app instead of being a Chrome extension on the desktop: https://signal.org/blog/standalone-signal-desktop/.

"Hey, let's not piggyback on an existing browser but let's do our stuff in a separate browser instance."

Whoever thought that was better than the extension (which, thanks to all the development towards WebExtensions, might've been able to run on Firefox in a short while),  shame on you.

Offline

#2089 2017-11-02 17:30:32

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 4,646
Website

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

jdonaghy wrote:

Does anyone else get annoyed with the security policies for Google accounts? Just because I log in from different locations and different operating systems, I'm constantly being locked out and constantly receiving emails about suspicious activity.

it's just one more step in trying to force you into a completely googlified universe.
get out while you can, drop all google accounts like hot potatoes!
it will lift a weight off your chest you didn't even know was there big_smile


BL quote proposals to this thread please.
how to ask smart questions | my repos / my repos | my blog
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

Offline

#2090 2017-11-02 17:43:28

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid
From: Upstairs
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 6,157

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

^ Best advices I've seen in a longtime.  Not as easy to do as it is to write, but at least you don't have to 'actively' be a part of the system.   1x1pixel robots will always haunt you as well as third party cookies that share with 70milliom other cookies...

Mobile-01-01-01

Last edited by Sector11 (2017-11-02 17:45:12)


The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.
_______________________________
Debian 10 Buster = SharpBang ♯!

Offline

#2091 2017-11-02 20:30:13

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double
Registered: 2016-02-19
Posts: 1,267

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

ohnonot wrote:
jdonaghy wrote:

Does anyone else get annoyed with the security policies for Google accounts? Just because I log in from different locations and different operating systems, I'm constantly being locked out and constantly receiving emails about suspicious activity.

it's just one more step in trying to force you into a completely googlified universe.
get out while you can, drop all google accounts like hot potatoes!
it will lift a weight off your chest you didn't even know was there big_smile

Well said @ohnonot... I think everyone should try the following once:
- Check all the cookies put on the machine regularly
- Check all the scripts run on websites
- Check the add-on Lightbeam
There is g*evil everywhere...

Offline

#2092 2017-11-02 22:31:27

twoion
ほやほや
Registered: 2015-08-10
Posts: 2,841

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

jdonaghy wrote:

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll take a look at Runbox.

I can't guarantee that Runbox performs at 100%; I just trialled them a couple of months back and ultimately decided in favour of Fastmail because Runbox does have a rather clunky web mailer and no DKIM signing. But it has great privacy/backup controls (you can determine what data of yours they backup for how long or at all, there are app/per-device-and-function passwords, etc), their reliability seems very good, and their pricing structure is very attractive.

Visit emaildiscussions.com, there's where email enthusiasts discuss hosting options (or, if self-echosting, technical details). Runbox, Google and Fastmail staff members are also over there. It's a good place to fish for opinions and reviews.


Per aspera ad astra.

Offline

#2093 2017-11-03 14:09:21

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double
Registered: 2016-02-19
Posts: 1,267

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

^Somehow I got the impression that the big players do not really care about secure email communication at all (which is understandable as e.g. google would not be able to scan your emails if the messages were encrypted).

There are providers like protonmail, tutanota or mailfence, which are much more innovative. Protonmail has developed a so called bridge (it's in the testing phase), so it'll be possible to use a desktop mail client with a protonmail address. So far protonmail has been doing a really good job regarding marketing and development.

Offline

#2094 2017-11-03 22:30:59

twoion
ほやほや
Registered: 2015-08-10
Posts: 2,841

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

^ IMHO There are 4 aspects to your point I think:


- Transport encryption of email communications. This cannot be solved at scale (currently) because in order to be able to relay email to any other SMTP server, email senders and receivers, especially huge services like Yahoo, Google, Hotmail, AOL etc need to accept encryptionless communications on the transport layer (TLS between SMTP servers at scale is optional). Big companies solve this problem well for the masses by making TLS optional. The internet would break if e.g. Google would make TLS absolutely mandatory overnight (but entities like Google are pretty much the only parties nowadays who could move this issue forward by pushing for such a solution). Note that customers of commercial products today like GSuite, outlook.com, hosted exchange, fastmail etc can modify TLS policy (like enforce TLS).

- Sender chain verification (DKIM, DMARC, DANE, ARC, SPF) are technologies for preventing forgery of emails per se, but they are optional and mostly just heuristics for spam filters. Again, these technologies are 100% backwards-compatible with older SMTP servers (which are the vast majority of servers) and thereby a compromise between moving forward on the email security issue and staying compliant with classic email. Again, these technologies were pushed mostly by the likes of Yahoo and Google.

- Encryption at rest. This is a hosting issue and the only problem which the likes of Protonmail can solve reasonably well short of creating walled gardens where only a small group of users communicate securely – because they need to stay compatible with "email at scale" in order to be economically viable and sustain themselves as businesses. It's a niche, but a very useful development to have these around.

- End-to-end encryption. The only real option for keeping email mostly private today (because email metadata cannot be trusted to be encrypted at all times (SMTP/MIME headers)), at least the content. There are 3 players: high-tech (S/MIME, PGP) and low-tech (encrypted attachments/archives (everybody who knows the corporate world has been there at one point)). It's also the only option you can trust to a degree: Encryption at rest? You have to trust an implementation you cannot audit, running remotely in some datacenter. Sender chain verification? The path of an email being trusted does not mean the content can be trusted. Transport encryption? Only useful in conjunction with encryption at rest and decryption only on the client, and then there's the problem of it still not being mandatory everywhere.

My opinion: Email is really hard to impossible to secure in a compatible way.

So far protonmail has been doing a really good job regarding marketing and development.

Mostly marketing; the bridge took them years, and their useful hosting plans (with own domains) are on the pretty expensive side.


Per aspera ad astra.

Offline

#2095 2017-11-04 14:26:40

ratcheer
Member
From: USA
Registered: 2015-10-05
Posts: 274

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Excellent write-up, twoion. I have bookmarked it.

Tim

Offline

#2096 2017-11-04 21:29:39

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double
Registered: 2016-02-19
Posts: 1,267

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

twoion wrote:

- This cannot be solved at scale (currently) because in order to be able to relay email to any other SMTP server, email senders and receivers, especially huge services like Yahoo, Google, Hotmail, AOL etc need to accept encryptionless communications on the transport layer.

There is already e.g. Confidantmail, which is a non-SMTP email system. I guess it's true to say that it's not known to the broader public.

twoion wrote:

because email metadata cannot be trusted to be encrypted at all times

I'm wondering how bullet-proof something like easycrypt.co might be? At least there is something like this service available by now.

twoion wrote:

My opinion: Email is really hard to impossible to secure in a compatible way.

Yeah, it's impossible - it's basically an ancient technology with design flaws on many levels. I'm wondering though how well that Lavabit service might be doing.


twoion wrote:

Mostly marketing; the bridge took them years, and their useful hosting plans (with own domains) are on the pretty expensive side.

At least they have something like the bridge - that's one small step in the right direction. I like what is Protonmail doing, because it's a bit more secure in comparison to e.g. yahoo or gmail and most importantly: Grandma can use it too! There are also android and ios clients. Otherwise there is no way to get non-tech people to encrypt their emails. Sometimes not even on enterprise level.

Offline

#2097 2017-11-07 05:58:43

GutsAndGlory!
Member
From: Squigly line
Registered: 2017-04-15
Posts: 33
Website

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Just downloaded the official? litecoin wallet program and it's downloading the entire ltc blockchain I think. My internet connection is poopy and I've calculated it's going to take a little under a month or so for it to complete. How screwed am I? big_smile


The world won't change for the better unless we trust people. Trust is vital in a peaceful world but that will never happen.


« Yo buddy, still alive? »

Offline

#2098 2017-11-07 11:48:19

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid
From: Upstairs
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 6,157

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

GutsAndGlory! wrote:

Just downloaded the official? litecoin wallet program and it's downloading the entire ltc blockchain I think. My internet connection is poopy and I've calculated it's going to take a little under a month or so for it to complete. How screwed am I? big_smile

From here? --> https://litecoin.org/
It's just an archive file: Gzip archive (23.1 MB)  if that's the case just stop the download.


The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.
_______________________________
Debian 10 Buster = SharpBang ♯!

Offline

#2099 2017-11-09 20:25:47

twoion
ほやほや
Registered: 2015-08-10
Posts: 2,841

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Moving a project server from spamassassin to rspamd. It's indeed a way more usable/scalable/managable spam solution, and it's got a nice monitoring/controller web UI:

2017-11-09-212200_1904x631_scrot.th.png


Per aspera ad astra.

Offline

#2100 2017-11-09 23:08:00

jdonaghy
The Manatee Whisperer
Registered: 2015-10-10
Posts: 119

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

It has been fun trying to get different distros to run on this laptop (Kaby Lake/i7). I've had to add "pci=noaer" to the grub command line to silence kernel errors,  build the newest Realtek wifi drivers from github to prevent my connection from acting up and dropping, and upgrade Bunsen to testing repos in order for the Intel graphics to work. Compared to other distros, though, Debian has been pretty darn agreeable. Anything Ubuntu gives me a "soft lockup" error at boot, and I just don't see the use of bothering with it.

Happy to be using Bunsen again, though (I almost typed Crunchbang...)

Last edited by jdonaghy (2017-11-10 00:10:41)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB