You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-21 00:52:49

DeepDayze

JWM and BL

I have installed JWM on BL and it is listed as a session in LightDM. Has anyone ever tried JWM? I know it's a really light WM that has a single config file called .jwmrc. Wondering if I can somehow translate the BL Openbox menus so I can make a menu similar to the Openbox one. Also tips and tricks for theming it. Suggestions welcomed and hopefully others can make use of this nice WM.

Cheers!

Real Men Use Linux

#2 2017-06-21 02:48:28

PackRat
jgmenu user Numero Uno

Re: JWM and BL

jwm configuration

I never do much with the menu, but I think the "Dynamic" tag works similar to the openbox pipemenu.

You must unlearn what you have learned.
    -- yoda

#3 2017-06-21 03:34:59

bigbenaugust

I have used JWM in a bunch of places, largely when I tire of all of the bits tacked together and want something a little more... unified. One config file for everything is pretty nice.

--Ben
BL / MX / Raspbian... and a whole bunch of RHEL boxes. :)

#4 2017-06-22 17:38:59

ohnonot
...again
Website

DeepDayze wrote:

Has anyone ever tried JWM? I know it's a really light WM...

...and limited.
tried it, but when i found that it's close to impossible to resize or even move windows with keybinds, i dropped it.
personally; but i can see how it could be useful for e.g. making an outdated laptop usable for some normal (read: linux illiterate) user.
also in that category (and maybe even a tad better): icewm.

#5 2017-06-22 20:23:25

zephyr
Website

DeepDayze wrote:
Has anyone ever tried JWM? I know it's a really light WM...

JWM is a very lightweight and super fast Wm. CROWZ  here currently offers JWM with Devuan, highly recommend taking STAR - JWM here for a spin. It's a bit more updated with a config file in home/user/config/jwm and with separated config files. Have Ozi's STAR Devuan distribution installed and currently using it.

JWM is a little old school perhaps but a very worthy Wm to use, personally enjoy using a Wm over a DE because of simplicity. Currently run 6 drives with ob, fb, jwm, i3, #! with Devuan and my last drive use it for testing different Wm's. Lately tiling Wm's have my attention. 

Highly recommend JWM to anyone as daily driver where stability is a must. Give it a spin!

cheers

z

#6 2017-06-24 09:37:26

Nili
Website

I used very few days, Impressed me a lot. I made other choices and combinations, maybe I'll try once again to use as a secondary option. JWM is very light window manager, only 3MB + Panel.

Configuration is very easy. With some works we can made looks good too.

I only play 96kHz Hi-Res audio WAV or FLAC via DAC player.
Chuck Norris doesn't approve systemd.

#7 2017-06-24 14:52:30

DeepDayze

I am still tweaking my JWM config and will soon get rid of the builtin JWM panel for tint2. Fiddling with the autostarts just to get every background app starting up properly is a bit of a PITA though, especially with using wbar as the app launcher.

Real Men Use Linux

Board footer