You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-29 19:14:21

photonucleon
Thursday

Forum posts marked as unread

I've noticed that often I see posts marked as unread that I have already viewed. I'll read a thread, then close the browser, then come back to the forum later to see the same thread marked as having "new posts", even when it doesn't.

Just throwing that out there wink

Loving that BL has its own forums now big_smile

EDIT: also, when clicking the "new posts" link in such a case as described above, I'm taken to the first post that was new the previous time I read the thread...

Last edited by photonucleon (2015-09-29 19:16:21)

The servant lifted off a kind of ottoman a long peacock-blue drapery, rather of the nature of a domino, on the front of which was emblazoned a large golden sun, and which was splashed here and there with flaming stars and crescents. “You’re to be dressed as Thursday, sir,” said the valet somewhat affably.

#2 2015-09-29 19:23:56

twoion
ほやほや

Re: Forum posts marked as unread

Thanks for the hint, I've just tried out various scenarios but couldn't reproduce the problem. I'm going to put 'do more testing on this' on my todo list though.

then come back to the forum later to see the same thread marked as having "new posts", even when it doesn't.

Did you have to log in again or did you use "Remember me"?

At the end of the river the sundown beams

#3 2015-09-29 19:26:33

photonucleon
Thursday

I used "remember me". The problem has been random but frequent enough to be noticeable. If I see it happen again I'll post back here.

The servant lifted off a kind of ottoman a long peacock-blue drapery, rather of the nature of a domino, on the front of which was emblazoned a large golden sun, and which was splashed here and there with flaming stars and crescents. “You’re to be dressed as Thursday, sir,” said the valet somewhat affably.

#4 2015-09-29 19:36:38

Unia
Octo-portal-pussy
Website

Fwiw, I also have this on the #! and Arch forums. Haven't noticed it here yet, though.

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#5 2015-09-29 19:56:42

photonucleon
Thursday

When, just now, I clicked "New" next to "topics" in the top right, it told me my last visit was Today 20:16:34, when in fact it was more like 20:40:$seconds, if that helps with troubleshooting wink

EDIT: perhaps I'm so happy for there to be BL forums now that I'm not away long enough for my session to timeout between visits to the site?

Last edited by photonucleon (2015-09-29 20:01:55)

#6 2015-09-29 20:15:39

twoion
ほやほや

Visits time out after 30mins. The difference between current time and visit time is therefore normal.

#7 2015-09-30 00:07:55

twoion
ほやほや

Just for the record: I've just encountered this by myself.

It's not a database issue since after logging off and on again, the 'read' status was correct again (marked as 'read').

I suppose it's a caching (or HTTP server cache control) issue, I'll investigate when I have the time; it's not a major issue after all.

#8 2015-09-30 00:26:07

tknomanzr
BL Die Hard

Haven't run into it yet and my normal routine is to browse all new posts first. Wouldn't want that feature broken lol

#9 2015-09-30 00:27:19

tknomanzr
BL Die Hard

Also, I just noticed our text entry boxes don't have our smilies icons above them like #! did. Is it possible to turn them on?

#10 2015-09-30 00:30:50

hhh
Meep!
Website

You have to open them from the last link above the form input (N-list A-list Smilies,).

monkey

#11 2015-09-30 00:32:36

tknomanzr
BL Die Hard

Oh, I see now. Thanks!

#12 2015-10-01 01:21:04

tknomanzr
BL Die Hard

If this will help at all I will try to explain how I just caused this issue to happen twoion. I was readning forums like I usually do, browsing new posts. Saw a thread regarding sound issues, happened to look up and notice my volume icon missing. Hmm, I thought I fixed that and was just listening to music via mocp last night. At any rate I shut everything down, closed the browser, logged out so I could get a cleaner .xsession-errors to see if the usual icon bug was popping up. Logged back in. Check .x-session errors. Sure enough, the error is there. Fixed the problem, then loaded the browser and came back to the forums.

That was when the new threads bug hit me. Based on this, I would guess it to be either a cookie not clearing or a session issue, like my session didn't clear when I shut the browser down.

#13 2015-10-29 16:03:16

hhh
Meep!
Website

twoion wrote:

Just for the record: I've just encountered this by myself.

It's not a database issue since after logging off and on again, the 'read' status was correct again (marked as 'read').

I think that this is the key, you need to log off in order for the threads you've read to be recognized by the software. Closing the tab or browser without logging off is not enough.

#14 2015-10-29 18:00:12

tknomanzr
BL Die Hard

^ Unless you wait long enough to come back that your session times out.

#15 2015-10-30 05:24:51

johnraff
nullglob
Website

hhh wrote:

Closing the tab or browser without logging off is not enough.

Right. But as long as the browser is open everything is OK right? Even if you close the tab. I think it might be something to do with how cookies and timeouts work together. On Iceweasel if you open Preferences>Privacy>Show cookies...

I'm getting a cookie from forums.bunsenlabs.org called pun_cookie_4c8ed8_track
which contains 'Expires:end of session'
although Iceweasel is set to keep cookies from forums.bunsenlabs.org.
I presume that "expires" setting is coming from the server?

Anyway, if I delete that cookie and reload the search page those unwanted new posts appear.
If I make some request from the server (edit a post etc) the cookie is regenerated with the same name, and everything's OK again till I close Iceweasel, which presumably removes the cookie. Then the unwanted New Posts appear (unless I wait longer than the timeout).

John

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Board footer