You are not logged in.

#26 2015-10-13 23:03:56

Sector11
The Tpyo Knig Mod

Re: Off Topic News

Hey glittersloth ... slight name change there...   LastPass

link above wrote:

Bad news first, folks. LastPass, our favorite password manager (and yours) has been hacked. It’s time to change your master password. The good news is, the passwords you have saved for other sites should be safe.

bold italics mine

BunsenLabs Forum Rules ---== I'm a Conky 1.9'er ==---
System:    Host: d67 Kernel: 4.9.0-9-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 6.3.0)
Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)

#27 2015-10-13 23:51:23

tknomanzr
BL Die Hard

I use an oddball heuristic approach. Words that have meaning only to me, usually combined with symbols and numbers. For the numbers, instead of memorizing the number I memorize what the pattern would look like on a telephone keypad. I utilize them from least secure to most.

Least secure I save for those websites that insist on gathering personal info that I just don't care about. Meaning, I likely filled the form out with dummy information anyway. If the password were to get hacked, it would not be the end of the world.

Medium security is more for day to day use. I avoid words that would end up on a rainbow table and combine them with number and symbols.

Financial stuff, anything having to do with a credit or debit card, certain other types of personal accounts such as the passwords to my webserver or root accounts to a database if I am running one, all have really long passwords that would take even a botnet a considerable amount of time to brute force. I have several of each tier that I rotate around. Very occassionally, if I feel like a password has been comprimised, I will quit using it. The key for me is to set passwords up with patterns that I would recognize. Any passwords I have let google forms memorize would be of the least secure variety. A habit from my wilder younger days, is I never write anything like that down.

Last edited by tknomanzr (2015-10-13 23:51:54)

#28 2015-10-14 06:49:25

pa$$word

On the assumption that a physical break-in is less likely these days (Kremlin strategy), I use long and complicated passwords that I write down on paper.

#29 2015-10-29 07:38:00

KrunchTime

+1 for KeePassX.  KeePass Safe works well for Windows and Linux with Mono, although I've never used it under Linux.  I've also used KeePassX under OS X and it worked fine there as well.

Last edited by KrunchTime (2015-10-29 07:39:09)

Board footer