hhh
Ol' Pink Eyes
Website

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

mariannemarlow wrote:

I think I preferred the cheese talk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SRY0_ovbLo
Hope it gives you a chuckle. big_smile

Does your physical disability preclude you from coming to the point?

#4253 2022-01-22 18:32:50

mariannemarlow
Website

Chasing Cheese can be very dangerous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNj67kwWBoQ

#4254 2022-01-23 02:14:20

johnraff
nullglob
Website

twoion wrote:

Another point: Encrypt all your drives...
I only have to wipe the LUKS header https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Dm-cry … UKS_header in order to safely return the magentic drive without having to worry about my data getting exposed...

Thanks for the hint!

On modern CPUs with the proper hardware extensions encryption comes with next to no performance penalty.

Is there an easy test for the presence of such "proper hardware extensions"?

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#4255 2022-01-23 03:14:16

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

I'll clarify if it's "WD Red and 6TB or less." it's SMR (unless it's years old) if it's "WD Red Plus/Pro" it's CMR in all sizes. Lots of people with DAS/NAS devices caught out by that, my own is incompatible with SMR. There you are, no clearer.  My own is one, fortunately I wasn't caught out, pure luck but I bought 10TB.

You bought 12TB & thus are safe from that little scam.

It sometimes takes days, but I always run a full sweep with badblocks with -w over a new spinning drive before putting it into service -p 1 if i'm in a hurry the default 4 passes if there's no urgency.  Makes a good (if slow) drive wipe program too.

Sometimes you can't encrypt, often 4 & 5 bay NAS / DAS units simply won't support it.  As for the overwriting, with modern drives a single pass is enough unless the ones trying to get data are a 3 letter agency, & it's probably enough even then unless you're subject of a really big investigation.  Just for overkill I use the default badblocks write test for wiping if there's no urgency.

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#4256 2022-01-23 15:08:03

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

twoion wrote:

This is just an inconvenience for me --- remember not to trust your new drives without properly exercising them first. I had all the data I've written to it still available on other media.

I hope the drive is still under warrantee.

I have never encrypted a drive in my life.  Never even checked on how to.
It's just used for my wife and myself

I have 5 or 6 old ones here that I need to smash up.  Not exactly the easiest things to open up.  The only thing I would have problems with are online banking and 'some' emails'

I'd have to encrypt the 1T drive I have and the two external drives (250GB and 1TB)

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#4257 2022-01-23 15:11:33

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

OK a curious question:  How does one wipe a drive that went "OOPS!" and will not boot or mount?

Mu guess is a hammer, spikes and chisel.  big_smile

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#4258 2022-01-23 15:49:03

eight.bit.al

^ A non warranty drive - open it up; grab the cool magnets.
No one who can recover info after that is interested in you. wink

8bit

In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

#4259 2022-01-23 16:04:10

twoion
一期一会

Sector11 wrote:

OK a curious question:  How does one wipe a drive that went "OOPS!" and will not boot or mount?

Exactly this. When I worked at a company that still had their own data centres, when a drive failed, you would give it to a company that would take care of scrapping it and making the data unreadable. If you want to do it yourself in your backyard, a surefire way is to mix a bucket of thermite, drop the drives or just the magnetic disks in, then ignite.

#4260 2022-01-23 17:41:15

jeffreyC

twoion wrote:
Sector11 wrote:

Exactly this. When I worked at a company that still had their own data centres, when a drive failed, you would give it to a company that would take care of scrapping it and making the data unreadable. If you want to do it yourself in your backyard, a surefire way is to mix a bucket of thermite, drop the drives or just the magnetic disks in, then ignite.

A charcoal fire will work and be less likely to get you on a govt. watch list.
Heat it to red heat and magnets randomize.

#4261 2022-01-23 18:06:19

twoion
一期一会

jeffreyC wrote:
twoion wrote:
Sector11 wrote:

A charcoal fire will work and be less likely to get you on a govt. watch list.
Heat it to red heat and magnets randomize.

What watch list. We did that experiment in Chemistry class.

#4262 2022-01-23 18:17:04

Martin
Website

twoion wrote:
Sector11 wrote:

Sounds like too much fun to be legal :-)

/Martin

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

#4263 2022-01-26 18:49:33

misko_2083

Sun For Miles wrote:
misko_2083 wrote:

The politicians that were lobbying for Rio-Tinto lithium mining project in Serbia which Novak has openly voiced against on social media.
Has anyone thought of conflict of interests? Nope.

Rio Tinto projects halted in Serbia imho is a lot more significant than Novak being banned from entering Australia for 3 years (possibly other western coutries without vaccination now due to omicron panic). I think that is a great trade from our end. big_smile

Rinto-Tinto's deportation is the best news in whole year.
I fear it's not over, some other corporations and regimes can decide otherwise.
There was a US arranged coup in Bolivia against the government of president Evo Morales ,who transformed one of the poorest countries to one of the richest.
Only to get the natural gas and lithium for Elon Musk's Tesla corp...
They are always painting the good reason, but the real reason is always financial.

But, I dissagree on Djoković's deportation, both events are important.

Well it happens from time to time that politics interefere with the sports.
But countries banning sport figures from major sport events because of race, ethnicity, religion and beliefs are very rare.
It happened in 1936 at the olympic games in Berlin.
(Even though the USA sometimes bans sport figures from playing in certain countries, just remembered Bobby Fischer's example)

The fact is Novak Djoković had covid in December.
Whoever had covid develops natural antibodies which are far stronger than any vaccine reproduces.
You can ask any immunologist about that.
And they decided that a healthy man is a health risk.  glasses
hhh wrote that it's perfectly acceptable to deport sport figures because some people out there think of them as the heroes of freedom of  choice.
And some players that were covid positive were permitted to enter and stay on the tour.
Why? Because Scott Morrison supports his political party's ambitions to win the upcoming elections.

I will change my signature with conclusions drawn from this subject accordingly.

mariannemarlow wrote:

Chasing Cheese can be very dangerous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNj67kwWBoQ

There is no free cheese, except in a mousetrap.

If you are lucky, you will realize that putting yourself first is a basic priority, before the system and society and the people who benefit from it teach you that it is rudeness.

#4264 2022-01-26 19:49:01

trilobite

misko_2083 wrote:

The fact is Novak Djoković had covid in December.
Whoever had covid develops natural antibodies which are far stronger than any vaccine reproduces.
You can ask any immunologist about that.

This is false. I consult in public health in Canada. A Covid-19 infection is about the same as getting one vaccination. Additional vaccinations will boost immune response. There is not enough data to tell us if 2 infections of Covid-19 are about the same as 2 vaccinations.  The understanding is probably it isn't because of the way vaccines affect immune system function versus being sick with Covid-19.

Only one quote from https://www.cmaj.ca/content/193/47/E1820.  There is much more info that this about what happens to immunity from infection versus the vaccination series of 2+1. 

Two doses of an mRNA SARS-CoV-2 vaccine provide better protection against infection than natural immunity from previous infection with the virus, according to a report by the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Unvaccinated Americans who previously had COVID-19 were 5.49 times more likely to test positive again than people who were fully vaccinated and had never been infected.

(Not being allowed to a stay in Australia and play is another issue entirely beyond vaccination versus infection.)

Last edited by trilobite (2022-01-26 19:51:35)

{Linux-using people I haven't met are friends yet to be made.}

#4265 2022-01-26 21:19:54

misko_2083

I know people that had multiple infections after getting 3 vaccines.
Generally, we are all different and it's optimistic to expect that we all have all the same reactions to vaccines and covid infections.
And I'm likely to test this theory now, because my brother-in-law was coughing the other day when we played chess and now has fever.
Unlike my brother-in-law I will try not to pass it on to other people, just in case.
I may have skipped this but who knows, I'll see in a few days.
He got two vaccines, I got 2 + three months later spent some time in the hospital.

I don't think you even belive those are two separate issues, Novak didn't want to stay there and cuddle with the koalas.
He went there to work after he was called to play in the tournament not to be used for elections.

Last edited by misko_2083 (Yesterday 04:10:24)

If you are lucky, you will realize that putting yourself first is a basic priority, before the system and society and the people who benefit from it teach you that it is rudeness.

#4266 Yesterday 23:04:37

misko_2083

Does anyone has an account on Linux Lite forums?
If you do please PM me.
It's a very, very weird issue.

Last edited by misko_2083 (Yesterday 23:05:56)

Board footer