You are not logged in.

#1 2022-01-08 13:55:33

brogild

[SOLVED] VLC and Bunsenlabs

This is more likely to be about VLC and Openbox and is an intermittent problem (hence me not mentioning it before) that I think goes back before Lithium.

Occasionally when I maximise the VLC window, the title bar disappears and I am just left with the menu and the video itself, so I can't minimize it again and work with other windows, all I can do is close it (via the menu or ALT-F4).
I've searched the forum and this isn't the same bug that makes a minimised window go off-screen at the top, the fix for that is now in the openbox config file anyway.

I used to be able to solve this by changing the video output module from 'automatic' to 'Open GL' and then back again after a restart (I don't know why this worked), but this isn't working any more for me.
It can be fixed by renewing the vlc-qt-interface.conf file (via deleting and restart VLC), and then making it read-only, but then I lose the ability for VLC to remember the positions in partly watched videos, something I've come to rely on.

Is this known, or is it just me?

ETA: Something I've just noticed: pressing F11 moves the menu bar down a few pixels, so it seems like VLC has come out of fullscreen, but the the title bar is off of the top of the screen and tint doesn't appear.

Last edited by brogild (2022-01-11 14:27:15)

#2 2022-01-10 03:40:17

hhh
Ol' Pink Eyes
Website

Re: [SOLVED] VLC and Bunsenlabs

Could be your custom tint2 if you have one, Openbox margins set wrong... Screenshot? That would help.

Does your physical disability preclude you from coming to the point?

#3 2022-01-10 09:27:16

rbh

brogild wrote:

Occasionally when I maximise the VLC window, the title bar disappears and I am just left with the menu and the video itself, so I can't minimize it again and work with other windows, all I can do is close it (via the menu or ALT-F4).

It has happened to mee that vlc has started up with hidden buttons for Close / Minimize / Maximize.
ALT+F6 shows them again. You can toogle to hide / show the buttons with Aly+F6

// Regards rbh

Please read before requesting help: Guide to getting help,
Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

#4 2022-01-10 12:26:57

brogild

hhh wrote:

Could be your custom tint2 if you have one, Openbox margins set wrong... Screenshot? That would help.

I'm using a standard tint2 with one of the profiles supplied. I could try another profile but rbh has provided a solution.

A screenshot wouldn't provide much information, it just the vlc menu at top the with no ability to access the taskbar. Alt-tab does give me access to other windows, but when I go back to vlc it is still stuck occupying the whole screen.

#5 2022-01-10 12:34:39

brogild

rbh wrote:
brogild wrote:

It has happened to mee that vlc has started up with hidden buttons for Close / Minimize / Maximize.
ALT+F6 shows them again. You can toogle to hide / show the buttons with Aly+F6

Thanks, Alt+F6 has worked for me, I'll try to remember this for the next time it happens. After getting back the buttons, the top-right restore button still takes it back off of the screen. I have to resize using the menu from the top left button, and then drag the window back to a smaller size, this size then gets remembered for future resizing.

I'm not sure how to mark this topic as solved, I'd still like to know why this happens though, it's very occasional so possibly I'm hitting a certain combination of hotkeys

=================================

I've just dug this up from hhh's Helium announcement from 2018, I'm reproducing here because it might be useful to someone else:

hhh wrote:

...Pro tip: Besides the shortcuts shown by the default conky, there are also shortcuts in BL for managing Openbox windows. If a window is open, ALT-F4 will close it, Alt-F5 will iconify it (minimize it to the tint2 panel) and Alt-F6 will maximize/unmaximize it. Alt-Space will bring up the window's menu, press 'm' to Move the window via your arrow keys, then Enter to leave it there. Same for resizing a window... Alt-Space, then press 'z' to Resize, then use your arrow keys. Example: Alt-space, down-arrow to select the bottom edge, then up or down to resize, then Enter to set it...

Are these openbox shortcuts or are they specific to BL? Either way, thanks to both of you.

Last edited by brogild (2022-01-10 13:02:37)

#6 2022-01-10 14:14:32

rbh

brogild wrote:

I'll try to remember this for the next time it happens.

You can show all kybinds: jgmenu => Display Keybinds ...

I'm not sure how to mark this topic as solved, I'd still like to know why this happens though, it's very occasional so possibly I'm hitting a certain combination of hotkeys

Sometimimes I have to press F11 and then Alt+F6. Wait and see if someone can give more information.

Are these openbox shortcuts or are they specific to BL?

xbindkeys "is independent of the window manager".
I do not think neither openbox nor BL is lonely with the shortcuts...

// Regards rbh

Please read before requesting help: Guide to getting help,
Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

#7 2022-01-10 15:12:16

brogild

rbh wrote:

..Sometimimes I have to press F11 and then Alt+F6. Wait and see if someone can give more information..

I think this is down to what I discovered above.. that vlc appears to be in fullscreen mode, but is actually in a window that is larger than the screen, so F11 makes sure it is in windowed mode first, then Alt+F6 takes the proper fullscreen values from the system instead of vlc's garbled conf file.

Last edited by brogild (2022-01-10 15:13:18)

#8 2022-01-11 02:29:58

johnraff
nullglob
Website

brogild wrote:

I think this is down to what I discovered above.. that vlc appears to be in fullscreen mode, but is actually in a window that is larger than the screen

If that's the case you can do a left-mouse+Alt drag to get the window tools visible.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#9 2022-01-11 11:47:33

brogild

johnraff wrote:
brogild wrote:

I think this is down to what I discovered above.. that vlc appears to be in fullscreen mode, but is actually in a window that is larger than the screen

If that's the case you can do a left-mouse+Alt drag to get the window tools visible.

I tried this and it didn't work, but figured out that you meant right-mouse (I get these mixed up too). Another useful thing to remember.

Can someone mark this as solved, I can't see how to do it from my end.

#10 2022-01-11 11:51:16

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

brogild wrote:

Can someone mark this as solved, I can't see how to do it from my end.

You edit your first post & change the title (prepend [SOLVED] or something similar.

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#11 2022-01-12 01:16:14

hhh
Ol' Pink Eyes
Website

brogild wrote:
hhh wrote:

...Pro tip: Besides the shortcuts shown by the default conky, there are also shortcuts in BL for managing Openbox windows. If a window is open, ALT-F4 will close it, Alt-F5 will iconify it (minimize it to the tint2 panel) and Alt-F6 will maximize/unmaximize it. Alt-Space will bring up the window's menu, press 'm' to Move the window via your arrow keys, then Enter to leave it there. Same for resizing a window... Alt-Space, then press 'z' to Resize, then use your arrow keys. Example: Alt-space, down-arrow to select the bottom edge, then up or down to resize, then Enter to set it...

Are these openbox shortcuts or are they specific to BL? Either way, thanks to both of you.

Alt-F4 is standard for most window managers/DEs. The other two are BL specific (suggested by me and approved by the Team since... Hydrogen, I think?

Does your physical disability preclude you from coming to the point?

#12 2022-01-12 02:20:42

johnraff
nullglob
Website

brogild wrote:
johnraff wrote:

you can do a left-mouse+Alt drag to get the window tools visible.

I tried this and it didn't work, but figured out that you meant right-mouse (I get these mixed up too).

No, I meant left-mouse. (The regular button for clicking things.)
In bl-rc.xml:

<context name="Frame">

<mousebind button="A-Left" action="Drag">
        <action name="Move"/>
      </mousebind>

Right-click+Alt is for resizing a window:

<mousebind button="A-Right" action="Drag">
        <action name="Resize"/>
      </mousebind>

Maybe you've edited bl-rc.xml?

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#13 2022-01-12 17:52:42

brogild

johnraff wrote:
brogild wrote:
johnraff wrote:

you can do a left-mouse+Alt drag to get the window tools visible.

I tried this and it didn't work, but figured out that you meant right-mouse (I get these mixed up too).

No, I meant left-mouse. (The regular button for clicking things.)
In bl-rc.xml:

<context name="Frame">

<mousebind button="A-Left" action="Drag">
        <action name="Move"/>
      </mousebind>

Right-click+Alt is for resizing a window:

<mousebind button="A-Right" action="Drag">
        <action name="Resize"/>
      </mousebind>

Maybe you've edited bl-rc.xml?

I see what you mean, as it turns out resizing the window fixes my problem even more neatly as the window is oversized in the first place.

Board footer