You are not logged in.

#1 2021-12-19 06:50:42

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Chromium possibly leaving Debian

Chromium has been dropped from Debian Testing:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo … bug=998676

It might be on its way out. Some people suggesting to use Flatpak to keep it sandboxed, but the necessary backporting to get it to work on Buster doesn't look straightforward.

Occasionally I hit a website interface that just doesn't work with Firefox. EG back in the UK in October I was forced to use Chromium to make a PCR test reservation. Telling the webmaster to improve his code isn't really an option in such cases. Google Chrome isn't so attractive as a replacement, but might be the only alternative. sad

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#2 2021-12-19 20:03:30

mufrious

Re: Chromium possibly leaving Debian

Oh crap. I had to use it also to attend some Webex or Meet sessions, couldn't get them working on firefox
:-(

#3 2021-12-19 20:12:18

twoion
一期一会

On bullseye + later you can just use the flatpak build.

I also think it's laudable that Debian, for a change, removes a package from the repository that it knows it can't maintain. Many packages of lower attention profile are in state that is just as dire as chromium's...especially those against which no CVEs are filed (even though 'potential' ones are there).

#4 2021-12-19 20:46:13

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

From the tone of the discussion in the bug report the door is left open for native Chromium to return. In addition there's a lot of issues for Flatpak builds of Chromium on Bullseye and Buster so it may be dead there too.

If this will affect other browsers that are based on Chromium (Brave, Vivaldi, etc) I am not sure.

EDIT: There's also a possibility of Chromium being removed from Sid as well.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2021-12-19 20:46:48)

Real Men Use Linux

#5 2021-12-19 21:23:14

DeepDayze

Wonder how has Arch, Fedora or even Void handled Chromium?

Real Men Use Linux

#6 2021-12-19 22:33:24

twoion
一期一会

DeepDayze wrote:

Wonder how has Arch, Fedora or even Void handled Chromium?

Arch has enough maintainer capacity and engagement to continue maintaining Chromium. I imagine the other two have that as well.

The problem with Debian is, there would be almost no problem if the Chromium maintainers would just focus on building and packaging the latest chromium release with a minimal set of patches, see https://github.com/archlinux/svntogit-p … mium/trunk . In contrast, Debian has a boatload of patches and seemingly nobody being able to maintain that AND regularly cut chromium releases: https://salsa.debian.org/chromium-team/ … an/patches .

This is just one of the problems with Debian as a distro catching up with them. They patch a lot of packages "to death" with patches few or no other distros use (=maintain), then lose maintainer interest over time. The projects that actually patch chromium "to life" like ungoogled chromium (https://github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium) need many skilled individuals just to keep up and additional time to maintain the patches.

Shipping a "modified" version of Chromium is a hell of a lot of work, and volunteers with the required skillset are hard to come by.

#7 2021-12-20 00:27:17

DeepDayze

Thanks for the input @Twoion. If Debian basically left the Chromium codebase alone and just packaged that as is that would been a better way forward and only patch if a bug is reported. Debian also heavily patches its Firefox builds too I am sure.

Real Men Use Linux

Board footer