You are not logged in.

#601 2021-07-10 07:47:27

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: What are you reading right now?

^good to exchange points of view on this stuff (or anything).

Just having to put thoughts in writing makes you organize them a bit. Sometimes you can think you have a policy/understanding/attitude/grasp of something but don't really know what it is till you have to explain it to someone else.

Anyway, if I "understand" anything Carlo Rovelli says I'll report back. smile

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#602 2021-07-10 09:03:10

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Website

^I can easily contradict myself in two sentences...., debate is indeed neat and puts at least some of the pieces on the table (not sure if they are in the proper order).

I think I will try 'The Cellular Automaton Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics' by Gerard ’t Hooft next, will also report if it makes any sense to this observer. Big pdf https://arxiv.org/pdf/1405.1548.pdf

#603 2021-07-10 14:07:42

eight.bit.al

brontosaurusrex wrote:

Also we can probably answer questions like
How does the Thermos know whether to keep things hot or cold?

The Thermos slows the normal rate of entropy, and the anthropomorphic 'knowing' of which way the energy transfer is going does not exist; or have I completely missed the point? Interesting conversation way over my head, thanks.

8bit

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2021-07-10 14:24:11)

If art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time.

#604 2021-07-10 15:32:04

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Website

^I guess point can be easily missed, but it supposed to be a joke on intelligent/observer. Now we have the entropy! I have big hopes for this thread.

#605 2021-07-23 11:06:16

ohnonot
...again

johnraff wrote:

Carbon chauvinism.

I like that.
Cutting across all that philosophical skullf*ckery (no disrespect to your discussion, and I very much agree with the points made, it just makes my brain hurt): it's very difficult to find true aliens in science fiction.
Try Lem's Eden or Solaris.

Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)
My Repos: notabug | framagit

#606 2021-09-21 06:54:03

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Website

Hooft book way over my head (have not finished it), I liked the idea that 'free will' can always be hacked in easily (If I got that right).

Finished 'The Testaments (Margaret Atwood - 2019)' over the weekend, it is about cosy life in Gilead and stuff like that (story takes place a decade or so after the The Handmaid's Tale).

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2021-09-21 06:54:27)

#607 2021-11-16 11:17:26

twoion
一期一会

The final volume 9 of The Expanse is going to be released on November 18th! I'm so stoked I finally can put this nonology behind me.

And no: I won't ever watch the TV drama of the same title, I'll never see a movie adaption of a book I liked again. Grave mistakes were made in the early 2000s (Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter).

#608 2021-11-18 19:21:49

twoion
一期一会

twoion wrote:

PS. Most recently added to be my queue shelf: A Memory Called Empire

After this sat on my shelf for too long I've finished this and have just ordered the sequel A Desolation Called Peace. The author is by education not a scientist nor an engineer and thus in my opinion lacks the capacity to truly deliver on the hard science fiction front, but as Ursula Le Guin, she delivers what she can in a different way, the way of the story teller in a sci-fi setting. Her ideas are good if not mightly original; the book absolutely lives from its characters and the scheming, not the brilliance of the writing style or sparkling new ideas. A space opera political thriller you might say. Having called it that, it's still way better than The Expanse, to give a point of comparison; none of the novels in the Expanse nonology have won a Hugo Award for Best Novel (fairly put, the judgement on the last one is a bit early), and rightfully so, but Memory has, and deservedly so.

I'm not a native speaker of English but it has been a while since I had to look up terms in a dictionary (the Master of Making Me Do That being David Foster Wallace with his novel of footnotes); this one is written by someone with a PhD in history and it shows in the form of expression, I've learned probably 2 dozen of new words so far, and had to draw heavily on my Latin language knowledge to be able to slip by without having to look things up. Good stuff.

PS . Slightly reminiscent of the Foundation novels, in terms of overarching theme as far as I can tell.

#609 2021-11-26 09:17:28

Jimbo_G

twoion wrote:

And no: I won't ever watch the TV drama of the same title, I'll never see a movie adaption of a book I liked again. Grave mistakes were made in the early 2000s (Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter).

I often hear this about various books, for me in both cases I really don't mind the film versions, and have rewatched the films and reread the books several times. I actually can't think of any film versions that have ruined books for me, although I can think of much worse ones than those you mentioned (the Hobbit).

Board footer