udisks2
wpa_supplicant

some of them feels like
they are just redundant services.

#2 2021-10-24 19:11:00

rbh

Re: which services not needed for a desktop

How can we tell what you need and not?

On my desktop, i disable avahi-daemon, but I need it on the laptop I use on guest lans. I dislike automount and don't need udisks2, but others love automount.
If you are using the laptop on own lan, you can config static ip. But if you want to connect to different wireles lans is it handy to use wpa_supplicant.

Best is if you read about them and decide if you want them or not.

// Regards rbh

Please read before requesting help: Guide to getting help,
Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

#3 2021-10-24 19:19:54

twoion
一期一会

They all do something useful. Unless you know exactly what functionality they take care of you shouldn't remove them. You can find out what most of these things do by simply googling them and reading their  man pages.

Two relatively easy possibilities are: replace rsyslog with systemd-journald as systemd-journald should be already running anyway, and you can probably disable and mask avahi but be prepared for things like CUPS printer discovery to stop working and file servers and other things to stop showing up in the file manager's "network" overview.

See https://lwn.net/Articles/812238/ for the journal. After doing that you can apt remove rsyslog. avahi is more obvious, you can just stop, disable and then mask the systemd unit.

#4 2021-10-24 19:32:54

nandi

Thank you guys yes I was unsure about avahi because the DLNA server which I run on my home network and I did not know udisks2 provide automount. Looks like I need to keep them

#5 2021-10-25 12:38:54

manyroads
Website

Remove those you don't want (that choice is yours); add others you do want, if they're not already there. If you don't know what a service does, test it before removal or you might break something you wish you hadn't.  Et voilá.

Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com  Professional Genealogist
dwm & i3wm ~ Reg. Linux User #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

#6 2021-10-25 13:40:01

rbh

If you are unsure about a service, test to stop it. If no immideate bad side-effects, disable it and evaluate for some days. You can then decide if leave it disabled or remove it (ev uninstal package that provides the service).

Best to leave it disabled, it is then very easy to get it running if you change your mind, unless you are working on a system with very little disk space.

// Regards rbh

Please read before requesting help: Guide to getting help,
Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

#7 2021-10-27 03:42:16

hhh
Meep!
Website

avahi-daemon. No need for it unless you have a specific need for it, and it's arguably evil (a worse effort by Lennart Poettering than systemd ever was).

https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/avahi-daemon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avahi_%28 … 29#History

sudo apt purge --autoremove avahi-daemon

Remove wpa_supplicant and goodbye wi-fi, so leave that, plus all the rest.

#8 2021-10-28 23:30:55

nandi

Thank you for your suggestion looks like the avahi-daemon was not needed and what of the network services was installed by cockpit web service which I removed.

Board footer