You are not logged in.

#101 2015-12-07 00:32:01

tknomanzr
BL Die Hard

Re: BunsenLabs film thread

I've been revisiting Ghost in the Shell the last couple of days.

#102 2015-12-07 00:42:50

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ Mobile Armored Riot Police was an awesome manga, films, and series.  (I haven't seen the manga, but I can only assume.)
EDIT:  I'd add that I love the soundtracks, especially the Yoko Kanno/Origa music form the SAC continuity.  RIP Origa.

Last edited by pvsage (2015-12-07 00:58:59)

Be excellent to each other, and...party on, dudes!
BunsenLabs Forum Rules
Tending and defending the Flame since 2009

#103 2015-12-11 12:41:56

glittersloth
buena piñata

The Sheltering Sky
Not the easiest film to sit through, but Vittorio Storaro's cinematography and that gorgeous Ryuichi Sakamoto score make it a worthwhile venture.

#104 2015-12-11 15:26:55

twoion
一期一会

Just finished Star Wars: Episode IV.

The first movie of that franchise I've ever seen, and oh dear! it is so bad. I'm seeing some merit in the technical execution/special effects/expenditure though, given the time period. The dialogs are all horrible.

It's worse than the accompanying novel, and orders of magnitudes inferior to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, the original book of which was written in the same decade as this movie was made...the lack of quality in the whole thing can't therefore be excused with a general lack of sophistication in the science-fiction genre. I seem to have to attribute the success of the franchise to clever marketing and (over-)popularization rather than actual merit; I won't waste time on the other movies.

This is quite disappointing since I remember playing the computer game Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast back in 2003 and being impressed with the experience, also the storyline.

#105 2015-12-11 18:55:51

ohnonot
...again

twoion wrote:

Just finished Star Wars: Episode IV. ...and oh dear! it is so bad.

i totally agree.
the first one i saw was Episode I (1999), and i really liked it in a disney/family movie sort of way.
i never understood the appeal of the older movies, not before seeing episode I, not after.

Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)
My Repos: notabug | framagit

#106 2015-12-11 21:48:11

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ & ^^ Moichandising.

"Episode IV: A New Hope" (subtitle and roman numeral added after Lucas realized he had a cash cow on his hands) became so popular primarily due to merchandising.  Lucas isn't the best filmmaker, but he is a marketing genius and has been for most of his career.  I see Star Wars Christmas tree ornaments and I think "the mythology of the Force - it's not represented here."

BunsenLabs Forum Rules

#107 2015-12-11 22:46:30

hhh
Meep!
Website

You gents are a bit off on your assessment of Star Wars, its success wasn't due to the merchandising, initially. In fact, the merchandising at first was as big a risk as the film itself since nobody had any idea whether or not the film would flop. You're missing its place in film history.

2001: A Space Odyssey came out in 1968 and was the first mainstream film to show realistic appearing action scenes like they had done with James Bond and westerns and many other settings, but in space and with spaceships. And then nothing like it came out for a long while after.

Hollywood put it's action at sea in 1975 with a risk called Spielberg, and Jaws blew people's minds and the Blockbuster was born.

And then, 2 years later, Hollywood takes a risk on this Lucas guy who had done well with American Graffiti, but this time he builds a classic tale of Good vs Evil and sets it in space, with realistic space vehicles and space battles and space creatures and he writes and directs it himself.

And we went crazy for it. Insane in the membrane. Talk about people repeat-watching Avatar? Star Wars had all of that, people immersed themselves in that space-world. And that meant seeing it in a theater 20 times, 30 times, with Chewbacca's head 15 feet tall in front of you, we had no home-theater then, we didn't have video games waiting for us at home (I think I saw the film twice that year).

Not because it was a good movie that would stand the test of time well, but because it was something nobody had ever seen before, and it looked super-real to us then. Yes, Close Encounters came out that same year and is a better movie with some great special effects, but it ain't laser fights backed by trumpet fanfare! Star Wars was THE new definition of escapism.

And then in '80 Empire came out using a real director (Irvin Kershner), a better script written by a real screenwriter that had a lot of campy humor in it, better space creatures, better ships, better battles, and a mind-blowing cliff-hanger ending... and the world has never been the same since.

#108 2015-12-12 08:44:56

pvsage
Internal Affairs

hhh wrote:

trumpet fanfare

I have to admit, this was one of the reasons I wanted to be a trumpet player and a professional musician.  The award ceremony at the end still gives me chills, as do shout-outs to it like the one at the end of the MLP:FiM Season 2 premiere.  (There's a shot-for-shot comparison on Youtube for those interested.  Spike the baby dragon plays R2D2 and is absolutely adorable.)

BunsenLabs Forum Rules

#109 2015-12-12 13:01:37

twoion
一期一会

hhh wrote:

You're missing its place in film history.

Thank you for explaining that aspect. However even its place in film history still doesn't make it a good movie. But now it's at least an interesting one.

#110 2015-12-12 14:09:06

ohnonot
...again

with history safely tucked away, back to this:

pvsage wrote:

whatever my opinion about the quality of star wars movies, this demands some respect.
it's vast!
do you have kids or are around them?
star wars is everywhere - lunchboxes, clothing, shoes, toys, darth vader halloween costumes, not to mention video games...
...and then comes the "collaboration" stuff: LEGO (and again video games), Angry Birds,...
it boggles the mind.
so that is George Lucas' secret...

#111 2015-12-12 17:05:42

Panda

Watched 'st. Vincent' last night.. Good flick!

“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today a gift...
That's why they call it the present"

― Master Oogway

#112 2015-12-13 06:35:37

Anaconda
crypto-anarchist

Flashback staring Dennis Hopper and Kiefer Sutherland.

While I would not put this on my list of "great films" it is fun if you like hippy style nostalgia. Hopper does a good job of being charming and entertaining in this one. He can even be seriously thought provoking in a few places if you are paying attention to what he is really saying.

While Sutherland is not one of my favorite actors I do like what happens to him over the course of the story.

If you or anyone you know is a hippy at heart, this film will make you smile.

“The university is well structured, well tooled, to turn out people with all the sharp edges worn off...." Mario Savio
"Protections for anonymous speech are vital to democratic discourse". Help enforce our right to free and anonymous speech by running a Tor relay.

#113 2015-12-13 15:51:13

twoion
一期一会

Tonight's film: Taxi Driver (1976).

Very nice (it even has got Don Vito Corleone in it, personally), with strong characters and good execution.

The film noir school seems to match my disposition.

#114 2015-12-13 16:48:20

pa$$word

That's another reason for the popularity of Star Wars. In the 1970s, there had been so many Taxi Driver, Last Tango in Paris, Chinatown, Godfather etc. and there had been the oil crisis and Vietnam. Everyone who had not already slitted their wrists was really down and along came a cowboy film in space, as pretty as 2001 but much lighter.

#115 2015-12-14 11:17:36

twoion
一期一会

pa$$word wrote:

That's another reason for the popularity of Star Wars. In the 1970s, there had been so many Taxi Driver, Last Tango in Paris, Chinatown, Godfather etc. and there had been the oil crisis and Vietnam. Everyone who had not already slitted their wrists was really down and along came a cowboy film in space, as pretty as 2001 but much lighter.

I totally agree that people should focus on engineering and actualizing the future, thinking about and planning which is creating fiction, including space- and science-fiction. Space films and operas are an important step towards that goal.

However in the sense that you are calling it a turning-away from the mud and dark of modern society, it sounds just like a reasonless succumbing to escapist tendencies because one could not handle both reality and fiction. I like painting the world in dark and darker colours because – Behold! – the world is still acrawl with, for example, bombing religious asshats (and Saudi-Arabians, who, if I may so, are mostly a royal insult to any current civilizatory standard). But I like thinking about space ships too, and that's OK.

#116 2015-12-17 07:01:36

pa$$word

Sure, I agree. Life is both light and darkness etc. Just meant that in the mid 70s, Star Wars was one of the things the lightened things up. No qualitative judgment about the societal merits of sci-fi was intended. Star Wars was more fantasy anyway, as it contains no science, just spaceships and a mystical reference to a "force".

Honestly, my current thinking is that the mind (intelligence) uses both analysis (pulling apart the threads - decomposition) and synthesis (putting things together - building). One is not more important than the other and both are needed.

#117 2015-12-18 11:40:43

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Website

Really good Starwars/frozen stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSgJeVwjnpc
and perhaps better explanation of the story-line
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEcjgJSqSRU

@pa$$word, nice breakdown, agreed.

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2015-12-18 12:32:04)

#118 2015-12-19 06:16:31

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

Finally got to see the new Star Wars.....what a movie.

I like my Metal like my coffee.......Black!

#119 2015-12-19 06:19:24

nore
>2⁹

It's time to rummage through the movie shelf for all things christmassy: old Disney shorties, The Nightmare Before Christmas and Rare Exports. No timallens or homealoneculkins for me, thank you. Gilliam fantasy like Jabberwocky or The Adventures of Baron Münchausen will do too, if I find them in my old VHS archive.

Last edited by nore (2015-12-19 06:22:08)

#120 2015-12-21 13:08:16

pvsage
Internal Affairs

So, now  that all the Star Wars fanboyz and fangirlx have seen the new Disney film...do we have closure?  Can the franchise finally be put to rest?

BunsenLabs Forum Rules

#121 2015-12-21 15:40:37

glittersloth
buena piñata

^ Just watched it today. Figured I had to get it out of the way while I could. Could've been a lot better, but it wasn't terrible. I enjoyed most of it, for the most part. Some of the lines felt really corny, but I suppose that's part of the allure*. Definitely not the best blockbuster I've seen this year (doesn't come anywhere close to Fury Road), and not even the best flick I've watched this past week (saw Sicario on pay-per-view the other day, which was excellent), but at least it wasn't an utter waste of time like the Jar Jar trilogy** from last decade.

* Frankly, much of my favourite Star Wars memories came from Empire Strikes Back and the X-Wing/TIE-Fighter computer games. The rest were rather forgettable for me, aside from the John Williams score which still gives me the fuzzies.

** Didn't even bother catching the last one (Episode III). I did enjoy the bits I saw from that Clone Wars cartoon series they had on Cartoon Network though.

Last edited by glittersloth (2015-12-22 02:31:20)

#122 2015-12-24 19:02:13

ohnonot
...again

i just finished watching The Whistleblower.
recommend! it's based on reality, too.
it's just sad that these things get recognized only a decade after the fact...

#123 2015-12-26 19:20:52

hhh
Meep!
Website

TCM is playing 2001 right now.

#124 2015-12-26 19:58:07

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

^ that would depend on where you live.
Right now on TCM in Argentina: Ghost Busters (Los cazafantasmas)

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#125 2015-12-26 21:18:09

hhh
Meep!
Website

^Of course. I guess I should have posted "I'm watching 2001 on TCM right now." tongue

The scene where Bowman blasts back into the emergency airlock with no helmet looks completely convincing to me still, almost 50 years after it was produced...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpwvJzcfL1w

Board footer