You are not logged in.

#451 2021-05-17 22:04:56

vic

Re: What are you watching right now?

twoion wrote:
twoion wrote:

Gotta have to thank Netflix for introducing me to the world of suspenseful and over-the-top South Korean TV shows and movies. Some real gems out there, better than most of what hollywood puts out these days. Have a faible for nordic noir, French crime and South Korean crime/justice shows now smile SK stuff is quite acceptable as long as they keep the supernatural aspect out of it.

Currently watching: Partners for Justice (검법남녀) ludicrous style yet entertaining, unfortunately only 32hours long as the 3rd season will probably never be.

In good memory: The Good Detective (모범형사, good TV series), Stranger (비밀의 숲 TV series; best Korean stuff so far yet); Inside Men (부자들, one of my favourites actually)

Still can't get a hang of Korean though. Japanese is so much easier to understand by ear.

Some other new good Korean drama series on Netflix that are at least "good":

K2 (더 케이투) - over the top corporate secret agent but who cares

Hot Stove League (스토브리그) - who knew Korean baseball could be so entertaining

Live (라이브) - police drama

Misaeng (미생 - 아직 살아 있지 못한 자) - workplace drama ("the office")

Argon (아르곤) - TV drama about TV news making

Extracurricular (인간수업) - high school boy turned school girl pimp runs into a lot of problems

Vagabond (배가본드) - conspiracy drama around weapons dealing and national secret services

And I even have forgotten a couple, will post some more later. Highly recommended are Argon and Extracurricular. It would be alright by me if Netflix would drop the hollywood crap and start posting more of this good SK drama stuff, maybe more Japanese stuff as well. Those are much harder to acquire in a legit way in Europe than the American stuff, which you can stream/buy everywhere.

Word.

"Sorry guys, I am busy with my favorite K-drama."

#452 2021-05-19 11:26:33

misko_2083

Paul McCartney Rabbit Hole https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G4EcRPlaXoQ

They use force, to make you do, what the deciders, have decided you must do!

#453 2021-05-20 10:21:29

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Website

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6491178/ < 'Dragged Across Concrete (2018)' movie film, I thought it was great slowburn. Neat cameo detail with Jennifer Carpenter. Kinda very pulp-fictional.

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2021-05-20 10:22:44)

#454 2021-05-29 23:02:32

hhh
Meep!
Website

A documentary on Terry Kath and early Chicago done by Terry's daughter. Free with ads, free without ads if you use uBlock Origin...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7egJTtz10E

Jimi Hendrix's favorite guitarist, according to those in the know.

Here's an example of why. Terry Kath from 1969, "Free Form Guitar"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1soGncyUFg

Hendrix must have thought "I'm hearing myself, but he's adding some stuff I didn't think of, and the timing on his solos is way better, he's locked in."

UX5suIqt.png

#455 2021-06-01 01:14:45

hhh
Meep!
Website

Unreal Engine % demo and feature walk-through. This is mind-blowing, but for someone who played Pong when it came out and became a fan of video games with Space Invaders, Asteroids, Defender and Pacman, this is unbelievable...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1ZnM7CH-v4

#456 2021-06-01 01:22:25

eight.bit.al

^ You left out Galaga. One hasn't lived without playing Galaga.

8bit

If art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time.

#457 2021-06-01 01:23:59

hhh
Meep!
Website

I played Galaga a lot. Less so Missile command, Tempest, etc...

#458 2021-06-03 09:22:55

hhh
Meep!
Website

David Attenborough - Empire of the Ants

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ0DxSujfIU

#459 2021-06-05 02:40:19

hhh
Meep!
Website

Rally hill climbs. The camera shots, the audio, the course, the cars and the drivers are all beast...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egy2KFFej9s

The white/black Mini Quatrro Turbo is insane.

#460 2021-06-15 05:30:43

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Not right now, but yesterday, an excellent documentary on the Tiananmen protests:
The Gate of Heavenly Peace
Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gtt2JxmQtg

Part2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0lgc4fWkWI

It's a full-length 3 hour film, but worth the time IMO. Lots of contemporary film and interviews - it was made in 1995 - less than ten years later - and Chinese people may have been able to speak a bit more freely then. As usual, things are more complicated than they might appear. Heroes and villains on all sides.

Anyway, the makers have been taken to court (case dismissed) by one of the leading protestors, now living in the US, and also condemned by the Chinese government. Maybe it manages to keep a balance.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#461 2021-06-22 15:44:53

twoion
一期一会

vic wrote:
twoion wrote:
twoion wrote:

Gotta have to thank Netflix for introducing me to the world of suspenseful and over-the-top South Korean TV shows and movies. Some real gems out there, better than most of what hollywood puts out these days. Have a faible for nordic noir, French crime and South Korean crime/justice shows now smile SK stuff is quite acceptable as long as they keep the supernatural aspect out of it.

Currently watching: Partners for Justice (검법남녀) ludicrous style yet entertaining, unfortunately only 32hours long as the 3rd season will probably never be.

In good memory: The Good Detective (모범형사, good TV series), Stranger (비밀의 숲 TV series; best Korean stuff so far yet); Inside Men (부자들, one of my favourites actually)

Still can't get a hang of Korean though. Japanese is so much easier to understand by ear.

Extracurricular (인간수업) - high school boy turned school girl pimp runs into a lot of problems

Vagabond (배가본드) - conspiracy drama around weapons dealing and national secret services

And I even have forgotten a couple, will post some more later. Highly recommended are Argon and Extracurricular. It would be alright by me if Netflix would drop the hollywood crap and start posting more of this good SK drama stuff, maybe more Japanese stuff as well. Those are much harder to acquire in a legit way in Europe than the American stuff, which you can stream/buy everywhere.

Word.

Adding to the list of K dramas on Netflix which are a must watch: Law School / 로스쿨. Pretty gudd.

#462 2021-06-30 04:45:48

ohnonot
...again

Actually I just finished watching this:

Sex Education, both seasons.

I like the choice of characters, some of which I can genuinely identify with, even if they're all a little simplified.
It's reality simplified, a story well told, an (un)surprisingly central topic of teenage life. Meaning, it doesn't get boring.

On the surface it's some sort of highschool comedy drama romance, but adults are included, and there's a deeply psychoanalytical aspect I really enjoy. I think it's not made for teenagers.

The show completely avoids a time setting - everybody's using smartphones and the WWW, but there's no mention of particular apps/sites that would help to pin it down, and visually it's completely ruled by 80s nostalgia.
This weird choice was confusing in the first episode, but then I just went with it and enjoyed it. Netflix seems to cater to my demographic specifically. I decide to feel complimented by it.

Just one more, last mention of the unconventionally beautiful characters. I'd have liked to either be or go to bed with almost any of them.

Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)

#463 2021-06-30 14:42:34

hhh
Meep!
Website

Anyway, on topic. I have 4 films in my Video folder ATM.

Excalibur (1981)

John Carpenter's Escape From New York (1981)

Murder On the Orient Express (1974)

The Omega Man (1971)

I still need the first 2 Terminator films, the first 2 Alien films, The Abyss and HellRaiser II. And Jaws, Blade Runner and The Eiger Sanction. Also, Dune and The Empire Strikes Back. Robocop. Maybe the original Deathrace 2000.

#464 2021-07-20 04:01:56

hhh
Meep!
Website

Episode 1 of Space Ghost Coast To Coast on [adult swim]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lmItUxgnUo

Episode 1 of my favorite cartoon, Harvey Birdman, Attorney At Law

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR4bN8JmGiU

#465 2021-07-21 17:42:43

twoion
一期一会

twoion wrote:
vic wrote:
twoion wrote:

Word.

Adding to the list of K dramas on Netflix which are a must watch: Law School / 로스쿨. Pretty gudd.

Woo, another nice K drama on Netflix: 그 남자의 기억법. Briddy gudd situational comedy in there.

Honorable mention goes to Polish crime production The Mire for being better than any low-end high-cost German TV drama production (a phrase that happens to refer to ALL German TV productions, it's all shit).

#466 2021-07-28 01:20:06

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Watched this a couple of days ago but it's still relevant:
Why the Tokyo Olympics are F***ed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFMTPYFxJRw

#467 2021-07-28 06:50:40

ohnonot
...again

^ I've been listening to that podcast, it's really interesting to get this unique (English language) insight into Japan, esp. now.

What's been going on there around Covid19 and the Olympic Games ... gigantic political clusterf**ck.

#468 2021-07-29 02:20:40

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^It's a mess indeed. PM Suga is hoping that a "successful" Olympics will make it possible for him to win the autumn election. Everything else is subservient to that.

In this, he's not unlike politicians everywhere of course.

#469 2021-07-29 18:37:22

ohnonot
...again

Just listened to another podcast that casts more light on the Olympics itself, but also Japan 2020 (sic) specifically:
How the Pandemic Games Expose the Neoliberal Scam of Global Sporting Events
Trigger warning: the people talking are definitely all leftist. Leanings are clear. Nevertheless, their stuff is well-researched and goes deep below the surface of any topic.

#470 2021-07-29 23:42:13

hhh
Meep!
Website

Have you dudes not noticed Simone Biles exit from the Olympics? Sexual abuse for years, mental abuse, and she takes a break and people hate her. WTF?

#471 2021-07-29 23:46:06

hhh
Meep!
Website

Michael Phelps quit swimming a couple of times because the pressure made him nearly suicidal...

https://www.insider.com/michael-phelps- … mic-2021-1

#472 2021-07-30 06:08:45

ohnonot
...again

Dudes have noticed.
There was a lot of that sort of news recently, but the podcasts mentioned are taking a wider approach - the whole Olympics, not just individual athletes. But they also mention some specific cases. Abuse, depression, yes, but also things like not being allowed to breastfeed during the Games, or forced (on threat of disqualification) to wear skimpy clothing (only the women of course).

#473 2021-08-18 20:02:57

twoion
一期一会

#474 2021-09-02 20:50:44

misko_2083

They use force, to make you do, what the deciders, have decided you must do!

#475 2021-09-06 05:42:05

hhh
Meep!
Website

From this point, if I take extra care of myself, I'll get very sick and die.

- Rodney Dangerfield

https://youtu.be/HfoJGMaQ-Wc

Board footer