You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-05 21:11:01

rbh

Proposal for updating BL Forums Rules

Note, the proposal has been edited since its original posting, as good suggestions ben added. /rbh

Hi!

I propose following updates for BL Forum Rules

Add a new header Help Guide.

Under heading General guidelines, change
"If you are seeking help, make sure to have done your fair share of homework to the best of your ability by searching the forums or the internet before wasting other's time."

To:
If you are seeking help through our forums, always make sure to have done your fair share of homework by reading the Bunsen Labs Help Guide, and by searching the forums and other internet resources before posting your question. Please be considerate of other's time.

Help Guide

Please seek a solution yourself by researching in the BL Forums/Homepage and Internet. Quite possibly the issue you are experiencing has already been posted and it is more than likely there will be a solution.

When asking for help, do not jump to premature conclusions and phrase a biased question. Write what you want to achieve and how you intend to approach the problem. There might be beter solutions than the one you are chasing.

Please use appropriate post titles. Choosing an accurate, descriptive and appropriate post title will attract solutions effectively and help other users, when utilizing the forum search feature, to find a solution.
Good Post Titles: “recent problems with ata1 - exception Emask 0x10”, “/dev/snd/* permissions problem”
Bad Post Titles: “Help!!!”, “Noob question!”, “Almost there”

Please provide details of your problem and your system. Terminal tools like "inxi -Fxrzm" (run as root, to get verbose memmory info), "lsusb" and "lspci", gives usefull information of your harware. Hw-probe (see https://linux-hardware.org/?view=howto) is another good tool, alongside the hardware database.
  When having problem with graphical program, starting them from a terminal, gives usefull informtion.

Please use [ code ][ /code ] tags when pasting console snippets and logs.
For non-English locale users: Please prepend LC_ALL=C to posted commands so the output will be in English.
Use Imgur or other image hosting service for big pictures.

Some programs might have own logging function, else logs is saved in /var/log/. Terminal command dmesg and journalctl, is other good tools to retrive log information.

More reading about the art of questioning:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

When a solution is found, mark your thread as solved. Edit your first post in the thread, add [SOLVED] before the title. It helps other seeking working help.

Last edited by rbh (2021-04-08 20:26:00)

// Regards rbh

#2 2021-04-05 21:26:40

jeffreyC

Re: Proposal for updating BL Forums Rules

I would suggest "inxi -Fxrz" with the output between code tags.

#3 2021-04-05 21:32:58

rbh

jeffreyC wrote:

I would suggest "inxi -Fxrz" with the output between code tags.

Agree, changed.

// Regards rbh

#4 2021-04-06 02:23:31

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

To clarify when a problem is solved the user who made the thread can edit the title of the first post and putting [SOLVED] before the title and saving change.

Real Men Use Linux

#5 2021-04-06 08:08:16

rbh

DeepDayze wrote:

To clarify when a problem is solved the user who made the thread can edit the title of the first post and putting [SOLVED] before the title and saving change.

Yes, you are so right. Fixing that to.

// Regards rbh

#6 2021-04-08 05:23:05

johnraff
nullglob
Website

@rbh many thanks for this. cool
The mods like the idea, and are likely (unless a different idea comes up) going to put your Help Guide as a sticky topic at the top of "Basic Help & Support", with a link from The Rules.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#7 2021-04-08 11:51:51

sleekmason
zoom

Would recommend losing "wasting other's time" to "posting here in the forums"  or just "posting"

Is our intent to tell people that no matter what, they will be "wasting someone's time"?  Gives the notion that it would better to just not post here.  Other than that, looks good:)

#8 2021-04-08 15:01:45

rbh

sleekmason wrote:

Would recommend losing "wasting other's time" to "posting here in the forums"  or just "posting"

Is our intent to tell people that no matter what, they will be "wasting someone's time"?  Gives the notion that it would better to just not post here.  Other than that, looks good:)

Under General Guidelines, it says now:  "If you are seeking help, make sure to have done your fair share of homework to the best of your ability by searching the forums or the internet before wasting other's time."

If you are asking, basic questions, that is well documented, I and the moderators think that is to waste others time. I think so,but can not ignore the question and offer from my time and anser those questions, hoping that the member would learn the basics.
If you have tried to find a solution and ask, you don't waste others time.

I want the information how to ask for help, beeing easy avaliable. It is not now.

// Regards rbh

#9 2021-04-08 15:20:07

sleekmason
zoom

rbh wrote:
sleekmason wrote:

Under General Guidelines, it says now:  "If you are seeking help, make sure to have done your fair share of homework to the best of your ability by searching the forums or the internet before wasting other's time."

If you are asking, basic questions, that is well documented, I and the moderators think that is to waste others time. I think so,but can not ignore the question and offer from my time and anser those questions, hoping that the member would learn the basics.
If you have tried to find a solution and ask, you don't waste others time.

I want the information how to ask for help, beeing easy avaliable. It is not now.

---
I also agree that it is "wasting other's time" lol. That is not my argument. 

I would just phrase things in such a way as to attract forum use for those that need it or want to contribute, rather than imply that no matter what, you will be "wasting other's time" by asking a question in the Bunsenlab forums. The wording just seems harsh to me, but as you wish.

#10 2021-04-08 15:26:40

rbh

sleekmason wrote:

I would just phrase things in such a way as to attract forum use for those that need it or want to contribute, rather than imply that no matter what, you will be "wasting other's time" by asking a question in the Bunsenlab forums. The wording just seems harsh to me, but as you wish.

If you can contribute with a complete sentence, I can taste, I might change my mind, and even the moderators might like it...

// Regards rbh

#11 2021-04-08 15:51:08

sleekmason
zoom

rbh wrote:
sleekmason wrote:

If you can contribute with a complete sentence, I can taste, I might change my mind, and even the moderators might like it...

----

"If you are seeking help through our forums, always make sure to have done your fair share of homework by reading the Bunsen Labs Help Guide, and by searching the forums and other internet resources before posting your question. Please be considerate of other's time."
---

I would think something along these lines^^.

*Edit btw, glad you are back:)  Just got my second shot and would tell you it is making things better, though don't know how.  Been a long year:)

Last edited by sleekmason (2021-04-08 15:53:43)

#12 2021-04-08 15:52:51

eight.bit.al

^ +1

8bit

'Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland
in search of our better selves?'

#13 2021-04-08 20:31:07

rbh

sleekmason wrote:

"If you are seeking help through our forums, always make sure to have done your fair share of homework by reading the Bunsen Labs Help Guide, and by searching the forums and other internet resources before posting your question. Please be considerate of other's time."

I bought that, without change! Edited the proposal accordingly.

*Edit btw, glad you are back:)  Just got my second shot and would tell you it is making things better,

Good to be back. Hopefully I will get my first shot this month...

Last edited by rbh (2021-04-08 20:31:27)

// Regards rbh

#14 2021-05-08 04:31:14

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Long delayed update!

A link was added some time ago to "The Rules", in the General Guidelines section, which points to a sticky (always at the top) thread in the Basic Help and Support forum: https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=7520

Thanks again to rbh for taking the time to write this helpful advice. cool

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#15 2021-05-10 02:52:22

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

johnraff wrote:

Long delayed update!

A link was added some time ago to "The Rules", in the General Guidelines section, which points to a sticky (always at the top) thread in the Basic Help and Support forum: https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=7520

Thanks again to rbh for taking the time to write this helpful advice. cool

Bravo and well done! smile

Real Men Use Linux

Board footer