You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-15 18:23:59

THX1138

Is Covid affecting your work?

Is Covid affecting your work and how much you earn?
I just wondered because 9 months ago in the first UK lockdown I was getting
2 or 3 times the amount of work I normally get, fixing networks and computer problems,
and sorting out major tech problems for small - medium sized companies
but in this second lockdown in the UK, I am not getting so much work.
It's different this time. The directors of companies are telling me they cannot afford
to operate until the lockdown is over etc
Some have even filed bankruptcy papers due to the strain the pandemic is having on them.
I have worked with businesses so diverse. Everything from Golf Course businesses to Taxation companies
and recruitment agencies, food supply logistics companies and
music studios
but they just cannot operate in these conditions

The telephone is an antiquity - you never know who is calling, there is no image, it is an outmoded product which constantly disrupts work (Ralf Hutter (Kraftwerk)) ps: my wife knows how much I dislike being disrupted at Work - Ralf Hutter hit the nail on the head there

#2 2021-01-15 19:11:42

sleekmason
zoom

Re: Is Covid affecting your work?

Yep.  Very sporadic because prices are up and security is down.  Spent $350 the other day on groceries here in the states
, and both of us remarked how little that gave us compared to a year ago.

We're okay, but we are beginning to really see the suffering around us.  The homeless population is exploding and many here have no compassion, only blame. (guess the group) roll

Where I live, if you rent you have zero protections against being booted.
Crime is rising.  Mostly stupid stuff, but it wears on the community regardless.

It's in the little things you know.  Cars stop being repaired and messed up vehicles start appearing more and more. Start seeing people with cracked screens because they can't afford a new phone. Worry on everyone's face, but not for the right reasons. (Should be plague, government, but mostly "where's mine", whatever that may be..)

Really hope things pick up for you.  With a new administration here, maybe things will improve elsewhere.  I would like to think so.

#3 2021-01-16 08:12:06

ohnonot
...again

Economically, for me personally, the impact is zero.
I am even saving money because I haven't been to a restaurant or swimming pool or made a major trip for almost 10 months now.
We were on fully paid partial lockdown for a few weeks in summer and had to do some overtime after that, but now we're working normally.
Food (or any) prices have not gone up around here, or at least not that I noticed.

I feel for all you entrepreneurs, but please remember: bankruptcy is better than death. Or at least I believe that.

Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)

#4 2021-01-16 09:52:21

Martin
Website

I have worked from home since mid-March. I have seen colleagues in the flesh only about four times since then. I have clocked in more overtime than in previous years (2018-19). I think this is in part due to working from home. I spend a lot of time hooked up to my work computer as all project meetings are done in cyberspace. That takes its toll as my 'home office' ergonomics are not so good. Yesterday I sat in meetings between 0900 and 1600 with only a short lunch break...

No daily bicycle commute but I know the neighborhood much better now as I have taken long walks after work.

Economically? Same as ohnonot I think.

/Martin

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

#5 2021-01-16 22:55:50

doxanthropos
Website

It is not affecting how much I earn (apart from the company bonus that is based on some success criteria that are now impossible to meet), but it affects my daily work in internal IT support a lot.
We've got a lot more to do, colleagues that are expecting the same service times as usual and delays from nearly every outside source. There is not one big change, but a lot of small ones that accumulate over time.
Usually I like my job and my company, but under the current conditions, I see myself adapting more and more the mindset of BOFH in self defence.

#6 2021-04-29 09:28:48

misko_2083

I'm one of those rare cases that got Tinnitus from Covid.
You know those movie scenes when the explosion happens near the main character and after that he hears only buzzzzz for a minute or so.
It's something like that, with the only difference I can hear everything else under that layer of buzzing and there is no off switch.
There is an absence of silence. It's a noise that no one else can hear in a silent room.
It stands out when everything else is silent. That's why it appears it's louder when there are no other sounds.
It was really bad in the begining, I couldn't sleep for days at time. From time to time my brain would shutdown for a microsleep like it happens with drivers on a long road.
I found out that I can mask it with other sounds.
I looked up on YouTube and found some videos that helped mask it until I fall asleep.
It was so loud at first and driving me crazy.
Now it's not that loud and partially I got used to it.
I now realize how precious the silence is.
You don't appreciate it until you loose it.

Што ни оштровиди ум сагледати не може - љубав превазилази.

#7 2021-04-29 09:51:30

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^Misko you have my sympathies. Tinnitus becomes more common as you get older, and some - relatively mild - ear trouble brought it on for me a few years ago. No doctors were able to do anything for it, and at the beginning it bothered me quite a lot, but as you are already noticing, you do get used to it over time. Now there are long hours when I'm not aware of it at all, but right at this moment I can hear a high-pitched sound, like a '60s TV. Happy to report that it doesn't stop me getting to sleep at all.

Here's hoping it gradually improves for you too.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#8 2021-04-29 20:51:43

twoion
ほやほや

misko_2083 wrote:

I now realize how precious the silence is.
You don't appreciate it until you loose it.

The vileness of this virus is right up there with tick-transmitted diseases. Hope your quality of life does not suffer too much in the future.

There is no competition between bugs. When you combine two awesome bugs, you get a totally awesome bug.

#9 2021-04-30 12:42:03

Sun For Miles

I am working from home since the beginning of the pandemic. After two months I bough ergonomic chair that made my life a lot easier in these conditions. My setup looks like Vangelis studio (tm a friend of mine) with two work laptops, monitors, headsets, keyboards and a desktop computer beneath the desk. I went to the office only once to work there due to blackout in the neighbourhood at home. I went out and had a beer with colleagues once last year and saw them once this year when we were signing some papers in the office. Economically I'd say I am probably saving money due to diminshed movement and less acitivities, despite ordering food more frequently from the local restoraunts to support their work during the pandemic.

I am a part of tinnitus crew as well, but not because of covid. When I was 7 years old I had severe case of ear infection caused by a cold and after few months of treatment doctor had to pierce the eardrum of my left ear in order to administer the cure so it doesnt spread. This procedure caused partial hearing loss in my left ear (I am at about 70% levels of normal, according to my latest check). Tinnitus appeared 4-5 years ago in the same problematic ear, my suspition is that I was too many times too close to the loudspeakers at concerts. "Silence" is the worst as you guys have already mentioned, because it makes tinnitus more noticable by the consious brain. Yes, the irony is that I love listening to music and I have tinnitus and diminshed hearing in one ear.

Last edited by Sun For Miles (2021-04-30 12:47:18)

Señor Chang, why do you teach Spanish?

#10 2021-04-30 21:32:02

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

Earnings?  I haven't had a pay rise since October 2019.  The company I work for is earning record profits and they aren't even considering pay rises.  The shareholders are getting what they want though, good dividends.  I suppose that all that matters really.....who cares about the workers?

I like my Metal like my coffee.......Black!

#11 2021-04-30 22:56:01

rbh

Dobbie03 wrote:

who cares about the workers?

The wooblies (https://iww.org). I became a wooblie in the early 70's. They had an section at the Kockum Shipyard in Malmö.

Last edited by rbh (2021-04-30 22:56:30)

// Regards rbh

#12 2021-05-01 00:27:08

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

rbh wrote:
Dobbie03 wrote:

who cares about the workers?

The wooblies (https://iww.org). I became a wooblie in the early 70's. They had an section at the Kockum Shipyard in Malmö.

Interesting, we need one of those in NZ.

I like my Metal like my coffee.......Black!

#13 2021-05-01 01:30:29

hhh
Meep!
Website

misko_2083 wrote:

I'm one of those rare cases that got Tinnitus from Covid.

One of my closest friends told me just tonight that he has tinnitus from the second Pfizer vaccine. Here's the link he sent...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y412fwrht3E

Excruciating.

#14 2021-05-01 01:46:26

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^Couldn't hear a thing at first, till I turned the volume up. One of the benefits of old age...
(My own tinnitus is a little bit lower-pitched than that I guess.)

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#15 2021-05-01 02:10:07

hhh
Meep!
Website

I guess my mid-fifties old ears are holding up OK, it sounds like, no, worse than nails on a chalkboard to me, clear as day. I'd rather be deaf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4AmLcBLZWY

#16 2021-05-01 08:00:06

el_koraco

I'm making at least twice the money. Agricultural consulting, the ag sector always wins in a synthetic crisis.

#17 2021-05-01 08:56:03

hhh
Meep!
Website

^ Noice! I got some sweet unemployment checks for a couple of weeks a year ago, but stimulus checks 2 and 3 ($1400 each) are hung up in bureaucracy awaiting my 2020 tax return.

#18 2021-05-03 23:09:56

misko_2083

johnraff wrote:

^Misko you have my sympathies. Tinnitus becomes more common as you get older, and some - relatively mild - ear trouble brought it on for me a few years ago. No doctors were able to do anything for it, and at the beginning it bothered me quite a lot, but as you are already noticing, you do get used to it over time. Now there are long hours when I'm not aware of it at all, but right at this moment I can hear a high-pitched sound, like a '60s TV. Happy to report that it doesn't stop me getting to sleep at all.

Here's hoping it gradually improves for you too.

That's not too bad, I know the sound cathode in the TV's makes.
Need a good night sleep to function. Else the concentration is low and there is a lack of patience with people surrounding me.
Adjusting to the new takes time.
Thanks for kind words if encouragement.

@hhh, that's one anoying soundtrack. It was something like that in the beginning.
It would make me sick enough to puke a couple of times.
Well maybe that, maybe Covid, maybe a bit of both.

@twoion Me too.

@Sun for Miles Wherever we go the buzzer follows.
I just hope it doesn't become a loud one in the next pandemic.
We heard that the EU will not accept the Sputnik and Sinopharm vaccines as valid.
That makes traveling complicated for people who received vaccines from Russian and Chinese manufacturers.
The monopoly on vaccines is more important for the EU than the actual people.
The pharmaceutical lobby is that powerful.
When they asked Bill Gates if he is for opening the recipe for vaccines worldwide he said No.
Evidently he doesn't want to be part of humanity, only it's owner.
My father was so disgusted about the vaccine politics that he used a derogatory word for dogs to describe the EU officials.
But it goes farther than just the traveling. Yesterday a guy told me that he was conditioned to receive a Astra vaccine to get a job in a German owned factory.
Only later that vaccine was pulled out.

Што ни оштровиди ум сагледати не може - љубав превазилази.

#19 2021-05-04 02:27:13

hhh
Meep!
Website

Good health to all.

Board footer